Buying a used Panasonic TH-P65VT20A?

Hi all,

I've had my Panasonic TH-P55ST30A since new and am still pretty happy with it from a picture POV, but been thinking of getting something a bit bigger. I don't really want to go to LED/LCD (am a bit of a plasma die-hard) and the current OLEDs are not within budget at this point in time.

Have found a TH-P65VT20A for sale, which is obviously a year older than my current model, but the VT series. Having done a fair bit of reading, I know there are concerns regarding rising black issues over time with the 20 series as well as a few other things; I love the idea of the bigger size and I know it was a great TV when new, but has anybody got one and have any first hand experience of how they've aged in terms of picture quality? 

I haven't got as far as negotiations but suspect it could be had for $750-800. Just don't want to buy something and it end up being a step backwards picture quality wise to my current ST30A. I would of course go and view the TV prior to purchasing but never quite the same viewing in suboptimal conditions etc so thought I'd ask for any first hand experiences first.

Thanks for any advice! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah the 20 series and below had the black level problems (after a certain amount of hours Panasonic have something built in which changed the voltage going to the panel and the blacks became grey instead of black). There is a way around it but its a bit of a headache. If i was you I would get a 30/50/60 series if you want to stay with Plasma. 

Thanks for the reply. I decided to pass on the 20 series as you suggested and am just keeping an eye out to see if there are any 30 series or later that pop up locally. If things don't fall into place then will just have to wait until OLEDs become a little more affordable.

Yeah I have an oled. I remember my gt30 plasma which had good motion resolution but I found phosphor trailing took away from it a bit. Better than the older plasmas I had but it was still there.

I actually find the oled motion really good despite having the lcd sample and hold lower motion resolution. It's to do with having a 1ms pixel response time (there are no phosphor trails like with a lot of plasmas, and no pixel smearing like with slower response lcd) . So in hindsight I realised I had more of a problem with the trailing or smearing of colours on moving scenes than the actual motion resolution.