Alien: Covenant

It's seems David was somehow reassembled after the Prometheus incident, and one would assume has sent a message [probably a false one claiming to be Wayland himself] to get people to come to him.

Have a look at the shot that comes up for a brief second at 1.57 in the trailer LHC posted, David is outside a sort of temple walking towards it surrounded by 100's of aliens.

I think David  is considered the new Queen by the aliens, and I wouldn't be surprised if we find that David had helped engineer them.

I'm reading at some sites this is going to be in 3D, but can see no evidence of this being the case at the end of any of the trailers, they all just say widescreen and Dolby Atmos

14 hours ago, Tweaky said:

Have a look at the shot that comes up for a brief second at 1.57 in the trailer LHC posted, David is outside a sort of temple walking towards it surrounded by 100's of aliens.

Is that 100's of Aliens, or 100's of dead Engineers??? Look at the brief image of dead engineers at 1.45.

Edited by Zammo

1 minute ago, Zammo said:

Is that 100's of Aliens, or 100's of dead Engineers???

I would say engineers as in the trailer - there is nothing, no birds, no animals, no noise, nothing. 

I don't think they are engineers, as they are too small in stature.

I think David might have been attracting all different forms of HUMANOID life to the planet, it would be easy for him to find which, and where these worlds were, since the engineers would have created them.

Remember, the Engineer that when awoken from stasis in Promethus reaction to the crew when he saw them ?

He automatically deemed them a type of mistake, vermin if you like, and automatically attacked the crew, obviously had the engineer been able to have left the planet, he would have gone back to his home planet to continue the plan to eradicate the Humanoid races [mistakes].

DID David  & Elizabeth make it to the engineers home planet? one would suspect David would have some of the Black Oil on board that space craft they escaped to that planet on.....but here is the rub....

Did they actually make it to the engineers home world?.....The world in this movie looks remarkably similar to the one in Prometheus .

I suspect Elizabeth dies or is killed en route, then David heads back to the Prometheus planet, uses the information he can find in the other ships, attracts humanoid life from where he can, the eventually from Earth.....as the last known place Wayland was heading was the Prometheus planet, any signal received from this planet would have some credence of being genuine.

David could have organized and financed  the whole thing of the new 'Pioneer colonists 'haeding towards the alien planet in Waylands name, without any question by anybody on Earth, as he was basically next in line to inherit Wayland, despite him being a synthetic .

Another version - I wouldn't find it that ironic if David reported back to Earth of both Wayland and his daughters deaths while en route to the engineers home world, only to receive a message back that Wayland - the Futurist that he was, had made David his sole inheritor, David then already knowing the reception humanoid life could expect to get if it arrived at the engineers home world, either kills Elizabeth or lets here die via one of his experiments whilst in transit, he then heads back to the Prometheus world, and uses information gathered from the alien craft to attract other humanoid life forms from around the different seeded worlds of the engineers, from information contained withing the engineers craft..... the dead bodies are Davids experiments, the various form of Aliens are his babies, maybe [in David's mind] not yet perfected..... eventually those from Earth arrive...this might be where this story starts.

David has inherited his father's. "Wayland" God Complex....he has to create....just like the engineers..... we come full circle.

I've briefly thought of several other ways this movie could play out from the Prometheus plot.....guess we shall find out in May.....finally a movie I'm looking forward to...been a long time since that happened.

Edited by Tweaky
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I went and saw this today [emoji3]. NO SPOILERS
I'm a huge Alien fan and could not wait for the blu ray release and I wanted to see this before anyone spoilt it for me so I went to the cinema for the first time in years and paid the extra for gold lounge and it was worth the coin
Ridley Scott did not disappoint
this film took me back to the first 2 flix in the franchise there is plenty of action,suspense and jump scares and an appearance by the big fella . And you don't have to wait till the end of the movie before you see an Alien [emoji89]
If I was too be picky and tried to find fault I would say that the ending is a bit predictable but still a very good Alien film
I give this Alien film [emoji89][emoji89][emoji89][emoji89]out of [emoji89][emoji89][emoji89][emoji89][emoji89]
Now it's a long wait for the next instalment

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 8

Much better movie than prometheus. 

Maybe my expectations were too high for this one though , it's a very good film , but I felt a little disappointed in it not being the superb movie I was hoping for.

Maybe the next instalment will be the great one as the story is set up nicely for it.

• Like 2

I liked it.

Some of the scenes were just edge of the seat stuff and wow.  A little bit of dodginess here and there perhaps with predictable movie type behaviour that has you going don't do that!, but definitely pretty good overall I reckon.  The ending, yeah... I was wondering if that was the way it was going to go going by the bit that lead up to the bit before the ending (no spoilers! haha).  So it might have been a bit predictable if I got it.

The look of the film is excellent though.  Very well put together.  I am glad I saw it in the cinema.  

Aliens is still one of my favourite films, and I really need to watch Alien again, not even sure I've seen it all in one sitting, whoops, but I never really got into Prometheus or some reason.  This was a good Alien film in my opinion.  I will be looking forward to the next one and how it ties in the series.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Monk said:

I liked it.

Some of the scenes were just edge of the seat stuff and wow.  A little bit of dodginess here and there perhaps with predictable movie type behaviour that has you going don't do that!, but definitely pretty good overall I reckon.  The ending, yeah... I was wondering if that was the way it was going to go going by the bit that lead up to the bit before the ending (no spoilers! haha).  So it might have been a bit predictable if I got it.

The look of the film is excellent though.  Very well put together.  I am glad I saw it in the cinema.  

Aliens is still one of my favourite films, and I really need to watch Alien again, not even sure I've seen it all in one sitting, whoops, but I never really got into Prometheus or some reason.  This was a good Alien film in my opinion.  I will be looking forward to the next one and how it ties in the series.

I was really looking forward to this film.  Have been a big alien fan since I was at primary school.  Watched it last week, and i walked out feeling 'meh'.  It was OK at best, better than Prometheus.  It basically answered questions from Prometheus as its sequel, but seriously disappointing with the use of key actor's such as James Franco and Noomi Rapace.  I'm still hoping that Ridley Scott will pull off something that will equal the original Alien film.  Still waiting for that seat grinding feeling of watching Alien on the big screen 20 years ago at the Astor.

On another note, the cinematography was jaw dropping good.   I think maybe what ruined it for me was watching all those trailers on youtube, which kinda gave it away once you pieced it all together. 

Edited by katattack74

I read a review that said compared Ridley's latest attempt to Lucas' dismal ones with the prequels - about how both utterly destroyed an amazing franchise they created. That sounded a bit harsh but I guess in some ways it is painful how something like this could have been greenlit.

I heard some guys at my friend's screening walked out halfway! Those were $20 Gold Class seats! ouch.

I was really disappointed with the movie too but I kept waiting for the movie to redeem itself.

But it was trite. It was predictable.

Now the spoiler fest. You have been warned.

And all those boneheaded decisions. I get that having your spouse as a crew member might make you do stupid things. Which begs the question - who thought having crew members as spouses was a good idea. Heck even current day HR practices knows this is a bad idea. Sure, I get that you may want your crew members on a one way trip to have their family with them. No problem - have them work on different shifts - two sets of crew, or have the spouse as one of the colonists in hibernation, not as one of the crew. And what kind of an idiot captain sends down 90% of the crew down on an away team. No one watches Star Trek?

Yes, I think the opening exposition with Weyland set the stage for David. But talk about hammering you with subtlety.

It feels like a retcon nobody wanted.

*breathes* feels better.

then remembers "are we safe here?" "yes" "OK we are good. let's all relax in a complex with no obvious reinforcements"

sumofabeech

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, DoggieHowser said:

And all those boneheaded decisions. I get that having your spouse as a crew member might make you do stupid things. Which begs the question - who thought having crew members as spouses was a good idea. Heck even current day HR practices knows this is a bad idea. Sure, I get that you may want your crew members on a one way trip to have their family with them. No problem - have them work on different shifts - two sets of crew, or have the spouse as one of the colonists in hibernation, not as one of the crew. And what kind of an idiot captain sends down 90% of the crew down on an away team. No one watches Star Trek?

Agreed...why would Scott allow this in the story.. just not believable plus no one's that dumb to send out a team of couples to oversee 1000 individuals in cryo on a deep space mission?  I wouldnt be volunteering myself even if they had the full 'Expendables' crew on mission as the security staff

33 minutes ago, DoggieHowser said:

then remembers "are we safe here?" "yes" "OK we are good. let's all relax in a complex with no obvious reinforcements"

And David said to Oram in the egg chamber.. dont be afraid, its perfectly safe...that lying sob...

Adam Savage on the Tested Youtube channel has done a few short videos on some of the behind the scenes stuff on Covenant which were pretty cool.  You get a bit of an idea of the scale of some of the sets which weren't entirely blue screen and how much work were in some of the props.  The vids he did on Ghost in the Shell were also pretty cool.

And watched Alien last night.  Yep, it's a good'un.

All right, I finally got around to watching it. SPOILERS AHEAD, DON'T READ IF YOU HAVEN'T WATCHED THE FILM!!! 

I thought that Covenant was a mighty disappointment. On its own, it may be a decent film. But its problem is that it is Prometheus' sequel. 

If you remember, Prometheus left many people with unanswered questions. Who were the engineers? Why did the engineer kill Weyland and attack Shaw? Why do engineers sacrifice themselves? Where do xenomorphs come from? This was why Prometheus was such a debated movie - to some, it made no sense. Others thought that the director was deliberately leaving questions open to be answered in the sequel. 

Well, the sequel is here and it makes zero attempt to answer the questions raised in Prometheus. If anything, the whole of Prometheus was whitewashed and we are left with a typical "chomp chomp who dies next" film. You know the trope - bunch of people enter a fight with a monster, and crew members die one by one - e.g. Jaws, Deep Blue Sea, Alien and Aliens, Predator, Species, etc. Sadly, it is this type of movie when it could have been so much more. 

I expected a sequel to Prometheus - something to provide some closure. What we got was a run off the mill action flick. That is why I found it so disappointing. 

15 minutes ago, Keith_W said:

All right, I finally got around to watching it. SPOILERS AHEAD, DON'T READ IF YOU HAVEN'T WATCHED THE FILM!!! 

I thought that Covenant was a mighty disappointment. On its own, it may be a decent film. But its problem is that it is Prometheus' sequel. 

If you remember, Prometheus left many people with unanswered questions. Who were the engineers? Why did the engineer kill Weyland and attack Shaw? Why do engineers sacrifice themselves? Where do xenomorphs come from? This was why Prometheus was such a debated movie - to some, it made no sense. Others thought that the director was deliberately leaving questions open to be answered in the sequel. 

Well, the sequel is here and it makes zero attempt to answer the questions raised in Prometheus. If anything, the whole of Prometheus was whitewashed and we are left with a typical "chomp chomp who dies next" film. You know the trope - bunch of people enter a fight with a monster, and crew members die one by one - e.g. Jaws, Deep Blue Sea, Alien and Aliens, Predator, Species, etc. Sadly, it is this type of movie when it could have been so much more. 

I expected a sequel to Prometheus - something to provide some closure. What we got was a run off the mill action flick. That is why I found it so disappointing. 

absolutely agree, same experience here, was looking forward to getting some answers but a huge disappointment and the ending? wtf? as said above could have been much more.