Andyw42

homecast HT8000 pvr, problem

Looking for anyone that might know about the old Homecast HT8000 PVR?

mine wont record anymore? Have been looking for a site where i can download the latest firmware as i havent done that for a few years.

the site i found online doesnt have this particular model in its line up?

Cheers andrew

Andyw42,

I have a Homecast HT8000 PVR which I have had for about 10 years. The firmware updates stopped some time ago but I have copies of all up to the last Ver 1.05.3A. However, I very much doubt that the firmware is the problem. I can send you the latest version if you wish.

There are  number of common problems with these PVRs as they age. The most common I have found is faulty electrolytic capacitors in the power supply which cause all sorts of weird behaviour. However I have never had the sole symptom of being unable to record. That sounds more like a problem with the hard drive or the cooling fan.

I would suggest you disconnect from the mains and take the top off. Look carefully at the large capacitors in the power supply. If any are bulging or leaking they need replacing. Unfortunately, I recently repaired a unit where the capacitors looked OK but when removed and measured some were not. To be sure I replaced them all. I've attached a photo of the power board of that PVR (not a HT8000 but similar). I replaced all the caps marked with a cross.

Plug the mains back in with top off, switch on and check the cooling fan is working. Be careful as you do this as there is mains voltage present on the power board.

If neither of the above help I would suggest replacing the hard drive. Any 3.5" SATA drive should do, I replaced mine with a 1Tb unit.

Power Board Caps 2.JPG

On 07/04/2017 at 6:46 PM, Andyw42 said:

Looking for anyone that might know about the old Homecast HT8000 PVR?

mine wont record anymore? Have been looking for a site where i can download the latest firmware as i havent done that for a few years.

the site i found online doesnt have this particular model in its line up?

Cheers andrew

You can't record - can you play recordings?

The simplest explanation is the hard drive is faulty. YOu might like to take a punt and replace the drive.

Regards

Peter gillespieG

Hi @Statek,

Does HC-Load v2.5 work OK with Win 10?

If so how can I pm you to get a copy please?

The download option from dropcanvas site has expired.

Thanks. 

While I was able to get the .tp0 files to transfer to my Windows 7 laptop which has since died, I now have an Acer which comes with Win 10 pre-installed, and I'm stuck with Win 10 now.

To transfer the PVR files before, you needed to plug the PVR into a USB port, and place it in standby mode.  This was essential to get Windows to open up the USB Mass Storage Device.

What I was able to do was to force Win 7 to replace the storage device driver to the hcPVRUSB.sys which the HcXDrive software needs to operate.  I had an argument with Windows 7, but eventually got it installed.

Tonight I have been trying to do something similar on a Win 10 system.  Unfortunately Win10 completely disallows it.  You've got the best driver installed already, I am told.  But no matter what I try (and I've tried everything now even opening powershell as an admin and trying to overwrite the driver), but it just won't let you do it.

There'd be a couple of further options I can think of.  Firstly is to get yourself an old second hand Win 7 laptop and force the driver on to it using the method I used a few years ago.

Secondly is to get a USB analogue recording device (Aldi often have them for about $25) and then connect the PVR to the PC via the analogue connectors (either composite cable - yellow, red and white RCA jacks, or the YpBR connectors (red, green and blue jacks PLUS the red and white for the audio) and then play the files off the PVR in the same way you digitise from a VCR or other analogue device.  You'll lose a bit of quality, as it'll go from digital to analogue and back to digital, but the result from a PVR should be VERY good.  Only problem is it takes as long to do the transfer as the footage you want to record - well, technically,  longer, as you need to cue things up, and run the capture software.

I still have two HT8000 PVRs - one in use, and one as a spare for when this one dies.  They were fantastic machines, but surely over ten years old now, and technology has allowed them to become obsolete.  Especially the way Windows 10 demands 100% control over the drivers now.

Hi Bustopher.

I too still have my Homecast HT8000 PVR although now it is only used for recording original programs I can't record on my newer Toppy, when there are too many programs on different channels . The only reason I bought the Toppy was because the remote of the Homecast had become intermittent on a number of buttons.  I too had trouble with transferring programs from the HT8000 to my Win 10 computer, where I remove all the ads. I finally gave up and now use a 32Gb USB stick in the front USB port on the HT8000. I found I have to switch the power off, insert the thumb drive and then switch the power back on for it to be recognised. Once it's re-booted I'm all set to go. For files larger than can be handled by FAT32 I use an old Toshiba laptop running Windows XP and using HC-Load V2.5 onto an external NTFS USB thumb or hard drive. Both methods work well and the files can easily be transferred to my desk top Windows 10 machine for further manipulation.

I would expect the USB analogue recording device method would result in a significant drop in quality. Although I must admit I've never tried it even though I have a D-Link box I used to use to transfer VHS video tapes onto the computer. The results were usable but not brilliant.

Regards

Statek

Posted (edited)

Hi Statek, 

Try cleaning the contact surface of the intermittent remote control buttons and the circuit board contact strips with a cotton bud moistened with IPA 90%+ (Isopropyl Alcohol available at most chemists) to see if this restores them to a working condition. 

If this doesn't work I've found that if you try applying a smear of conductive glue (available on Ebay) to the button contact surface that this may also work. I've had about an 80% success rate doing this to some of my remotes that had intermittent problems. Over time the more 'popular' buttons lose their conductive surface material. When this method fails it is because for some reason the "glue'' doesn't stick.

Apologies if you knew all this already.

Cheers 

Edited by jayeff20

Hi members,

I am using a Homecast HT8400 PVR (and an HT8200 its OK)

I am quite happy with the 8400 but it will not turn off after recording.

This happens after preset recording and does not respond to sleep setting.

I don't have access to a firmware update...but perhaps that would fix it.

Some information as to compatibility between 8000, 8200 and 8400 would be helpful.

Hi Statek,

I fixed both my HT8000 and HT8200 remotes with a keypad repair kit from eBay! The Homecast uses 3mm buttons, just use a dab of silicon sealant on dodgy contacts and tweezers to fix new buttons.