4M from screen..What size would you GO?

Slowly buying all my HT equipment :), now its come to screen size.. As title says, couch will be seated 4m from screen and ceiling will be 2.7.. im tossing up between 120/130 inch screens running will be my Epson 6700 at 3.8m from secreen.. what do you have? my room size is 5.9Lx4.150Wx2.7H

im really leaning toward 130, but same time seating at 4m im scared it may be to close where I get that cross eyed lol or will 130 be ok or stay safe with 120

Edited by clinton1983

I'm running 130" scope screen at 4m - seemed large at first, but nowadays I'd go a little bigger! :)

That's not an uncommon reaction - consider projecting on a white wall for a month before you commit to a screen size.

I'm also on a 130" Scope screen at 3.93m.

Every month or so I squeeze the seat a couple of inches closer to the screen. LOL.

If my room was wider, especially now that I have UHD/4k set up, I would go bigger.

At no stage do I feel like I'm at a tennis match. You won't go cross-eyed , I promise you.

The only thing you really need to be concerned with these days is the ability to light it.  Higher end HT projectors have been a bit low light output and are now only becoming brighter since 3D forced the hands of the manufactures.  
I've done a 2m tall Scope screen at 4m (front row) using a 5000 lumen 1080P DLP.  23FL after calibration.  When sitting in the front row with the client and screening the first film, his words were "This is f**king outrageous".  
I was more than a little green myself and wish I had a bigger room for a bigger screen.  

43 minutes ago, CAVX said:

The only thing you really need to be concerned with these days is the ability to light it.  Higher end HT projectors have been a bit low light output and are now only becoming brighter since 3D forced the hands of the manufactures.  
I've done a 2m tall Scope screen at 4m (front row) using a 5000 lumen 1080P DLP.  23FL after calibration.  When sitting in the front row with the client and screening the first film, his words were "This is f**king outrageous".  
I was more than a little green myself and wish I had a bigger room for a bigger screen.  

The TW6700 has a claimed 3000 lumens, even allowing for some loss when calibrated it has plenty of brightness.

Even if mounted at the back of the room with a 5.4m throw from lens to screen it's good for 150"+ screen with a modest 1.0 gain (Clinton you can run the numbers here).

25 minutes ago, obama said:

my screen wont be scope il be running16;9 standard don't no if that helps, and the screen im looking at only goes to 133inch.. not I 130

130" scope is about the same width as a ~137" 16:9 screen (but a good deal shorter).

Thanks guys for your help I really appreciate it :)..so im guessing il be ok at 4m running 130?..

im only seating at 4m because im building a bar at the back and will be running 5.2.4 atmos setup

Edited by clinton1983

hmm i only run a benq w1070 but it is mounted 3.1m from my 123" screen.. front row at 3m is great, 2nd row at 4m is boring.

if your epson cant light up a 130" screen at 4m sell it.. but i know it can :-)

if the people in the front could handle it i would extend my diy screen to 140".. but they cant :-(

18 hours ago, hopefullguy said:

hmm i only run a benq w1070 but it is mounted 3.1m from my 123" screen.. front row at 3m is great, 2nd row at 4m is boring.

if your epson cant light up a 130" screen at 4m sell it.. but i know it can :-)

if the people in the front could handle it i would extend my diy screen to 140".. but they cant :-(

I agree.  I have two rows at 2x and 3.2x the image height at 1080P and the who cares about the back row?  I only use that for taking screen crabs now.  

I like 1 x image width for scope, gives about 1.25x image width for 16:9. Works out to 2.37 x image height if you wanted to use height instead.

With an LCD I'd reduce screen size and or move back more. But for sxrd and dila projectors, pixel gap is excellent and allows for an immersive sized screen.

They give a nasty bite too... don't let 'em near knives. [emoji3]
crab.jpg
JSmith default_ninja.gif

LOL
I am surprised that the camera actually could pick up the width at 2x the image height. ac5f9bf564e1c7f1699ce0f99fdc2b83.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Down to big picture people on the weekend. They had a room very close to mine 4m from screen :), works out 110inch works perfect with good immersion.

Edited by clinton1983

11 minutes ago, hopefullguy said:

sorry but if this is your first pj experience.. 110 is too small at 4m.. give it 2 weeks and you will wish you had listened to the experienced fellows that have already posted... but hey its your room in the end. :-)

Over the years we've seen so many people go through exactly this experience. Hopefullguy has it right. Project onto a white wall for a few weeks - I will be amazed if you don't then go for something in the 120" - 130+" range.

Regardless of aspect ratio, you are really chasing an image height somewhere between 15degrees (min) and 26 degrees (max), from the back wall.

In your 4m room, that is no smaller than 1053mm and no taller than 1847mm.

Multiply each hight by your preference AR to find the width.

What many tend to forget is that many commercial cinemas still have 2k projectors. The have the same 1080 as we do at home. The have 2048 pixels horizontally vs our 1920. And they run screens way bigger than anything we can do in the home.

2 hours ago, cavx1503565372 said:

Regardless of aspect ratio, you are really chasing an image height somewhere between 15degrees (min) and 26 degrees (max), from the back wall.

In your 4m room, that is no smaller than 1053mm and no taller than 1847mm.

Multiply each hight by your preference AR to find the width.

What many tend to forget is that many commercial cinemas still have 2k projectors. The have the same 1080 as we do at home. The have 2048 pixels horizontally vs our 1920. And they run screens way bigger than anything we can do in the home.

i was thinking 120... is there a similar term you can explain to me what you mean? sorry steel a newbie in HT

1 hour ago, obama said:

i was thinking 120... is there a similar term you can explain to me what you mean? sorry steel a newbie in HT

14316765_1223161154381017_76186473263044

The problem is with HT, is that screen sizes tend to be expressed in inches, measured diagonally.  This is thing that dates back to CRT TVs and has been carried over to projection screens.  I don't like using it and why I prefer viewing angles.  

Hopefully this image helps.  What it shows here in red is that screen height is found by using 15 degrees vertical from the centre of the back wall in a given room.  There are no dimensions shown because this is scaleable - the bigger the room, the bigger the screen will be.  What it also shows is horizontal separation of the speakers to 45 degrees at 2x the image height.  45 degrees separation became the standard from the older ITU-R 60 degrees a few years ago when it was agreed that bringing the speakers in closer to the edges of the screen worked better to match sound to the image.  

The point of this model was to prove that the numbers do actually work for both sound and picture, and work in ANY size room.  Some of the boys (whom I am friends with on facebook) at THX gave this the thumbs up.     

An issue that would cause conflict here is that front row (45 degrees audio separation) is also 2x the image height, but also tends to place the listers at the half way point in the room.  Yet the ITU-R which was the sworn by method for 5.1 speaker layouts also worked off the centre of the room.   

• 2 weeks later...