Which projector? I stuffed up. Lol

Hey all. Great forum. 
I was using a PANASONIC PROtJECTOR (PT-AE2000E)
at approximately 6 Mts on to a 120" screen. 
Worked great, but as you know, only HD 720. 
So, after reading some great reviews about the 
BenQ W1070 Full HD 1080p, I went and purchased one. 
Only when I went to setup, stupid me realised that it's got no hope of projecting that sort of distance. 
I had the Epsom mounted on the ceiling close to the back wall of the room. I really don't want to move the mount to the centre of the room to make the W1070 work. 
So, what I'm after is some suggestions on a Full HD 1070,
preferably 3D like the W1070, that will project up to 6 Mts 
Price, anything up to around the $1,500 mark. 
I'm happy to buy second hand. 
I've been having a look, but I've always found it's better to ask the peeps that have some more knowledge than me and possibly have units. 

Thanks in advance. Cheers

Edited by Roofer

Isn't that a Panasonic model? Any how it had a good amount of zoom and lens shift. the benq 1070 doesn't. 6 meters is a lot and none of the $1000 budget projectors will do this. they are all short throw around 3 meters. Cheapest new one I know with good zoom is the Epson 6700. But its much dearer at $2600. there is a Epson 3500 in the classifieds which is very similar. or check local gumtree for an older high end Epson or Panasonic like a ae4500 or something.

Hey Chris. Thanks for your reply. Yeah, your right. I meant Panasonic. 

Great throw distance but time to get 1080. 

I had a look at the 6700. Looks like I'll need something like that. 

Just big $$$. Hard to find 2nd hand because people normally hang on to good stuff,

unless they get hard up for a $$$. 

Thanks again for your input and I might start the hunt. 

Cheers

• 4 weeks later...

The 1070 is very short throw and the 1080 was a medium throw.  

Optoma have a few "data" projectors that are super bright and have very long throws.  These are native 1920 x 1080 but are bright at 4200 and even 5000 lumens.  So you can light a big screen with them.   

7 hours ago, CAVX said:

Optoma have a few "data" projectors that are super bright and have very long throws.  These are native 1920 x 1080 but are bright at 4200 and even 5000 lumens.  So you can light a big screen with them.   

Thanks Mark, but are they still suitable for Home Theatre, 3D etc?

As I think I mentioned, I need something which can give me a 120" screen with a throw of approximately 6mt. 

Cheers, Paull 

just a couple of points.. the benq w1070 is a "medium throw" 120" 3100 to 4200mm distance to screen.. the w1080 is short throw and useless in your situation.

you are a bit out on the 2nd hand epsons.. some do get good money but people recently have been upgrading to the 8000/9000 series and several 6000 series have come up.. a 6600 went for  $1095 this month on ebay. and recently epson seconds had 2 6700 around $1700... but most get passed in as too many want too much for them.

as for 120" screen at 6meters... you will need to be lucky

Edited by hopefullguy

On 21/04/2017 at 7:57 AM, CAVX said:

As I think I mentioned, I need something which can give me a 120" screen with a throw of approximately 6mt. 

Cheers, Paull 

16 hours ago, hopefullguy said:

just a couple of points.. the benq w1070 is a "medium throw" 120" 3100 to 4200mm distance to screen.. the w1080 is short throw and useless in your situation.

you are a bit out on the 2nd hand epsons.. some do get good money but people recently have been upgrading to the 8000/9000 series and several 6000 series have come up.. a 6600 went for  $1095 this month on ebay. and recently epson seconds had 2 6700 around $1700... but most get passed in as too many want too much for them.

as for 120" screen at 6meters... you will need to be lucky

Im probably happy to stretch the budget out to approximately $2000 and would rather a new unit. 

Anything, anyone, or am I going to have to move my ceiling mount and wiring a couple of meters towards 

my screen?

if that's the case, I might as well keep the 1070 and setup for that. 

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

Cheers 

must agree.. i am guessing you didnt buy the w1070 new as it has been out of production since 2015 and since been replaced with the w1070+ and now the w1090.

having had 2 of them and currently still using 1 i reckon you will enjoy it (despite some annoying niggles which is normal for an entry pj )

4 hours ago, Quark said:

Much less cost to just move the mount and wiring rather than buy a more expensive projector and take a loss on the W1070.

That's the way I'm thinking now Quark. 

I did purchase used but it is in excellent condition with minimal lamp hours. 

Elderly gent come across very honest and you can tell when taken out of the box with all its original wrappings,

leads etc, and the condition, it looks like he watched half a dozen movies on it then packed it back up again. 

Just seems too good a Projector, especially after all I've read regarding this model, to get rid off. 

Move my ceiling mount to suit and not worry so much about where it sits on the ceiling.

more about the pleasure I'll get from it. 

Thanks everyone for your input and opinions. 

Cheers 

On 21/04/2017 at 3:45 PM, Roofer said:

Cheers, Paull 

For big screens where bright images are required?  Absolutely :)  
I used one of the Optoma (5000 lumens) projectors to light up a OzTS (4.8m x 2m) AT screen back in 2014.  I am still green over that one.  Custom curved it to match the pincushion from one of my MK5s and it was razor sharp corner to corner.  It had decent blacks and was 23FL after calibration.

Being DLP with DLP-LINK, I am sure it did 3D at 144Hz.     

Edited by MarkTecher