Oppo 103D New Firmware

In the last few weeks I have received NOTICE for our Oppo 103D for a new MAIN Firmware update being 10XAU-83-1226. Now for the last two years Ken from the Canberra OPPO shop would send us an email to tell us that this firmware is OK to use and will not disable the budget region Free kit inside but unfortunately Ken is Gone (no email) so the Question I would like to ask is is this Firmware OK to use and won't disable the region Free Kit.

Have 103 with budget region free kit and running 10XAU-83-1226.  No problems switching from region B to A and back. (Never tried region C, don't have a disc!).

Wonder who has replaced Ken?  Bought 103 and before that dvd player from them.

@Blackman1503561291 have you ever tried to email OPPO direct? They respond pretty quick.  

I have always just used their auto FW update notice.  It had been a while since any FW came out and I was wondering since the 203 was out, if they would still support the 103D customer base or just focus on the new 203 UHD player. So I sent them an email asking if there was any more FW updates for the 103D and they responded in less than 24 hours.  The email stating there was a new FW update.  And as soon as I turned on the player, sure enough, FW update alert.  

So if in doubt, ask them.   

13 hours ago, CAVX said:

@Blackman1503561291 have you ever tried to email OPPO direct? They respond pretty quick.  
So if in doubt, ask them.   

Blackman was referring to the region free kit. Doubt that Oppo can nor will answer a question on a third party add on.

5 hours ago, Snoopy8 said:

Blackman was referring to the region free kit. Doubt that Oppo can nor will answer a question on a third party add on.

Yeah I got that. So who is the creator of this device?  Given that Region A is not the entire world, I would think OPPO is quite aware of its existence.  There is also a software version of this out to, which I am tempted to get myself  AFAIK, their FW upgrades never affected this.  I am sure this plug in module can be purchased in other parts of the world and not just Australia / New Zealand.        

Making UHD region free has been the smartest thing the studios have ever done.  It is a shame they didn't do that for BD.   

12 hours ago, Snoopy8 said:

Yes ; they don't mind working on a modded player to service it ; but warranty issues are still there.;)

The kit that early oppo players got from Merlin -standard and pro- was from bluraychip d/k . Never were quick to reply Blackman but try anyway

http://www.bluraychip.dk/category.php?id_category=5

Edited by cwt

On 15/03/2017 at 9:53 AM, Blackman1503561291 said:

In the last few weeks I have received NOTICE for our Oppo 103D for a new MAIN Firmware update being 10XAU-83-1226. Now for the last two years Ken from the Canberra OPPO shop would send us an email to tell us that this firmware is OK to use and will not disable the budget region Free kit inside but unfortunately Ken is Gone (no email) so the Question I would like to ask is is this Firmware OK to use and won't disable the region Free Kit.

Please Re Read my Question I find it Easy even with my battered Brain. Is it OK to download the NEW Firmware for the Oppo 103D without disabling the Region Free Kit If I was in Court the answer is Simple and should be YES OR NO

Poor Ken He was Good For Info

Edited by Blackman

On 15/03/2017 at 9:35 PM, Snoopy8 said:

Have 103 with budget region free kit and running 10XAU-83-1226.  No problems switching from region B to A and back. (Never tried region C, don't have a disc!).

Wonder who has replaced Ken?  Bought 103 and before that dvd player from them.

THANK YOU!!

• 2 weeks later...

So whilst @Blackman was concerned that the new Firm-Ware might reject his OPPO region mod, I've discovered something much more sinister.  
I will also be contacting OPPO about this, but thought I'd check here as well to see if anyone else noticed this problem.

I normally calibrate my projector every 100 hours.  Once I hit over 1500 hours, it became kind of when ever I felt like it.  

I watched the movie ARRIVAL the other night and the PQ was annoying me, so I decided that given I am over 1800 hours, it was time to re-calibrate.

What I noticed and could not seem to fix was I no longer seem to have the full range of video (0-255).  It seems that I am clipped to video range (16-235) regardless of the settings used.  

The OPPO has the options of RGB, PC, 4:4:4 and 4:2:2 in the HDMI output settings and normally, RGB is the setting I would use.  In fact I have been using RGB since owning the player, a bit over 3 years now.  Also when I made that Basic User Control Calibration Video for my YouTube channel, I made a point about being able to see the BELOW VIDEO BLACK strips in the pattern and how the correct setting is to drop these into the video black background.  I also demonstrate what clipping of the whites looks like and how to properly set that.  Except, now I can't see below black or above white and the ONLY thing that changed since that video was made is the new FirmWare.      

The projector (BenQ W6000) has both VIDEO (16-235) and PC (0-255) setting as well 0 IRE (0-255) and 7.5 IRE (16-235).    

Anyone else notice this glitch?  

1 minute ago, CAVX said:

Anyone else notice this glitch?  

whether related or not who knows mark, but I know this is one of the reasons why its not suggested to use software/firmware region modding. you dont really know what it is doing firmware wise. the likes of avs forum specifically bar any discussion of firmware region mods as well for this reason., really down want to encourage its use. 

can you un install the firmware region mod somehow ? and check if there is a later oppo firmware perhaps might be something to run over it.

I have the pana uhd blu-ray for instance and there is a region software mod for it and no way am going anywhere near that. I dont want some 3rd party mucking with something like firmware, which may also cause some clashes and interactions with further software releases from the maker them selves.

for the oppo the hardware mod have been proven pretty reliable and it doesnt muck with firmware and available locally from likes of gattiweb so probably a better way to go id suggest :)

28 minutes ago, said:

can you un install the firmware region mod somehow ? and check if there is a later oppo firmware perhaps might be something to run over it.

That I don't know.  I was under the impression that once a FW update was done, that was it, end of story.  If it created more problems than it solved, then too bad, so sad.  This in part was why I was reluctant to upgrade FW back before getting the OPPO.  And this is the first time I've ever seen it do something bad.  I did hear that a few updates ago, one negative was to prevent DOLBY ATMOS from being played by any format other than a legit ATMOS encoded BD disc.

I will drop them an email as ask some questions. They were really good last time.    

So I sent my email and they got back to be within 17 hours with a fix.  They are awesome.  They have not been able to explain exactly what or why it did what it did, but they did provide me with a very fast, workable solution that now has me seeing what I should be seeing - video range 0-255.  

• 5 months later...

quick one...

did anyone install this Firmware update with a 'hardware region code mod' machine ??  

I have forgone updating my Oppo for a while - the message keeps coming on on each boot-up, but I've ignored it for a while now. 

• Volunteer
22 minutes ago, tonyjg said:

quick one...

did anyone install this Firmware update with a 'hardware region code mod' machine ??  

I have forgone updating my Oppo for a while - the message keeps coming on on each boot-up, but I've ignored it for a while now. 

Yes I have, no issues with the mod.