4K Ultra HD Disc Local Release Dates

16 hours ago, doggiehowser1503564764 said:

Got Passengers on Wednesday. Just got them delivered to the nearest Terry Whites which was open late so I could pick it up after work.

PQ was really good. I thought the FullHD BD was gorgeous but the UHD was noticeably better even on my FauxK JVC. The Atmos soundtrack was the clincher.

Did i read somewhere the standard Bluray was not region locked??

Edited by Jutta

22 hours ago, doggiehowser1503564764 said:

Got Passengers on Wednesday. Just got them delivered to the nearest Terry Whites which was open late so I could pick it up after work.

PQ was really good. I thought the FullHD BD was gorgeous but the UHD was noticeably better even on my FauxK JVC. The Atmos soundtrack was the clincher.

Curious DH ; Considering where the atmos tracks are going these days ; did the 3d get an atmos track too or lossless only like a  2k bd ? If so its strange they go to the effort to produce two DI'S and not just port the audio over .. Or theyre likely just conditioning us to go uhd  :)

Edited by cwt

21 hours ago, doggiehowser1503564764 said:

I haven't checked the 3D one to be honest :D

Well if it hasn't ; I spose dvdfab can merge the 3d video from the one with the lossless audio with the audio  from the other one with the atmos :rolleyes:

24 minutes ago, darthhasbro said:

Gees, the price, for $55 I'll make do with upscaled blu ray

My guess is EZYDVD are trying to con the early adopters.

The price will probably drop close to release date.

But do EZYDVD have a preorder price guarantee ? I don't know.

59 minutes ago, darthhasbro said:

Gees, the price, for $55 I'll make do with upscaled blu ray

The price should drop a bit during the pre-order period, Ezydvd often price titles quite high to begin with.

Edit: Inserted a few words.

Edited by Cevolution

21 hours ago, muriwai said:

If I recall was dtsma,definitely not atmos,the atmos only on the UHD

Thanks muri ; it looks like these 3d/uhd will be as rare as hens teeth ; theres only a few @ amazon .

Does DVDFab work with UHD discs?

No mate ; just thinking out loud as it does have an audio only option :blink:

I spoke with Universal Sony Home Entertainment Australia a couple of days ago, I was told that 'Bram Stoker's Dracula' on UHD Blu-ray is listed on their database for release on the 30th of August, and 'Close Encounters of the Third Kind' on UHD Blu-ray is listed as coming on the 27th of September.

Edit: Spelling error.

Edited by Cevolution

On 4/3/2017 at 8:17 PM, Cevolution said:

All three have had a price drop of $10 approx.

Edited by bernievink

On 10/03/2017 at 9:09 AM, bernievink said:

I bit the bullet and ordered them from Amazon.de (will let you know re menus & forced subtitles).

Order #XXX-XXXXXXX-XXXX135

Iron Man  (4K Ultra HD) (+ Blu-ray) EUR 25,20

Iron Man 2  (4K Ultra HD) (+ Blu-ray) EUR 25,20

Iron Man 3  (4K Ultra HD) (+ Blu-ray) EUR 25,20

Subtotal: EUR 75,60 Delivery & Handling : EUR 9,00

Order Total: EUR 84,60 (AUD 123.17)

Just received an email saying these have been sent, plus a 2 Euro discount was applied because of the pre-order price guarantee on the first movie. order total was actually  EUR 82,92 AUD 120.72 for all three movies. that compares favourably with local releases even including the postage from Germany to Australia.

Update:- Three hours after receiving email that movies were sent, I received another email with an $8.68 refund because of price drops after my order was sent. These movies cost me $37.50 each delivery paid to Australia.

Edited by bernievink
update

I haven't been on this site for some time so I was going to ask how is the UHD scene going to date ?

Is it likely to be a format worth the investment at this time or should I wait another 12 months and look into it then ?

I'm obviously still in the 1080p format at this time, I checked with my local Sanity store and they have a small number of UHD disks available but the titles appear to be as those that were previously 1080p Blu-ray and are possibly just upscaled to fit the UHD  format.

I got burned on the HDDVD format ( I've still got the Tosihba XE1 believe it or not ) and I am biting my time on this format to see if it gets some traction in the marketplace.

Any opinions at this time ? I'm sorry if I have momentarily sidetracked the thread but your opinions would be appreciated.

C.M

There isn't really a competing format to UHD BD unlike HDDVD to BD.

Unless you count Netflix UHD streaming.

But even with a good NBN plan Netflix UHD would just be barely there. Without support for Atmos or DTSX soundtracks found in most new UHD titles. I'd prefer a fuss free stutter free experience on disc any time.

Plus I've been buying the UHD AND FullHD bundles since last year so the small premium over regular FullHD is a no brained.

You could be crazy and triple dip Bourne series like me. But it's not really needed. I avoided double dipping with Lucy and Oblivion. And all the new titles like XMen etc. just made sense to get the UHD versions.

2 hours ago, Chicken Man said:

Any opinions at this time ? I'm sorry if I have momentarily sidetracked the thread but your opinions would be appreciated.

C.M

Hi C M I took the plunge early in Jan this year when Prices were very low. (60" Samsung 4K UHD TV for $1350, Samsung UBD-K8500 4K UHD player for $298 and Sony STR-DH770 4K receiver for $639).

Since then I have added 40 movies to my collection in 4K UHD, with 4 more on order and 11 in the wishlist waiting for when they will be released.

It took me 3 years to amass 90 3D movies, and 3 weeks to sell them all off, after moving to 4K format.

I really enjoy the 4K movies especially those with the HDR effect.

Logan, local release date 12 July, JB wants AUD$49.98 versus US release date 23 May, Amazon asking US$24.99.

It's like a stupid test by the local distributors to see just how far they can go. Let me answer by raising both my middle fingers to them.

1 hour ago, Quark said:

Logan, local release date 12 July, JB wants AUD$49.98 versus US release date 23 May, Amazon asking US$24.99.

It's like a stupid test by the local distributors to see just how far they can go. Let me answer by raising both my middle fingers to them.

Local retailers often price titles quite high during the preorder period. It's nothing new. In all honesty, does it really matter what their price is months before it's released? It's highly unlikely that it will be $49.98 upon release (for instance, Assassin's Creed was released here this week by Fox [which is the same distributor that is releasing Logan], the UHD version was listed for $40 plus during the period period, however the price has now dropped to $29.98), therefore prematurely complaining about the price seems a little silly too me :)

Edit: Inserted a couple of words.

Edited by Cevolution

25 minutes ago, Cevolution said:

Local retailers often price titles quite high during the preorder period. It's nothing new. In all honesty, does it really matter what their price is months before it's released? It's highly unlikely that it will be $49.98 upon release (for instance, Assassin's Creed was released here this week by Fox [which is the same distributor that is releasing Logan], the UHD version was listed for $40 plus during the period period, however the price has now dropped to $29.98), therefore prematurely complaining about the price seems a little silly too me :)

Edit: Inserted a couple of words.

I agree the price will probably drop (albeit there's no guarantee), but the current high local price when combined with a release date that's 7 weeks after the US makes the US release a no-brainer for me.

Don't get me wrong, I'd prefer to support local distributors/retailers, but when they're not competitive on time and price I'm not going to be bent over for the "Australia Tax".

2 hours ago, Quark said:

Current exchange rate means that is over $31 AUD plus you still need to add in postage.

also how long to wait for postage, I know lately it has been better but in the past it was sometime a 4 or 5 weeks wait.

46 minutes ago, bernievink said:

Current exchange rate means that is over $31 AUD plus you still need to add in postage.

also how long to wait for postage, I know lately it has been better but in the past it was sometime a 4 or 5 weeks wait.

Postage isn't a game changer, particularly if you can bundle with something else as I do. Amazon US is consistently delivering within 2 weeks for me nowadays, even on the cheapest shipping.