Scott's New Build mkII

1 hour ago, Quark said:

Yamaha's YPAO only equalises down to 40Hz if I recall correctly, Audyssey XT32 goes much lower, but if you're comfortable with Yamaha sound all's good.

Yeah, this is the one sticking point really. In your experience, how beneficial is the EQ below 40Hz? I guess it REALLY depends on the room, and the capabilities of the subwoofer. My sub certainly won't have a problem receiving some EQ below 40Hz given its in-room extension is below 15Hz!! It likely already has a LR filter to extend the low extension in the sealed box.

59 minutes ago, scottrichardson said:

Yeah, this is the one sticking point really. In your experience, how beneficial is the EQ below 40Hz? I guess it REALLY depends on the room, and the capabilities of the subwoofer. My sub certainly won't have a problem receiving some EQ below 40Hz given its in-room extension is below 15Hz!! It likely already has a LR filter to extend the low extension in the sealed box.

I've got a single 16" sub that only runs down to 15Hz. Going from Audyssey XT (which is very close to Yamaha's YPAO) to XT32 provided only a modest improvement to HT (my room doesn't have any significant bass modes). The big improvement was music - chalk and cheese, much tighter bass that integrated properly with my main speakers.

Edited by Quark

31 minutes ago, scottrichardson said:

So some guys on avsforum just said there's been an update to the Yamaha cx-a5100 which allows it to calibrate well below 31hz now. I'll investigate. 

Sounds promising. :)

This firmware includes
1, Add New CINEMA DSP Sound program “ENHANCED”
2, Support for Manual setup of less than 32Hz with parametric EQ (15.6Hz or more)
3, Other operation improvement

So it appears it's only for the MANUAL EQ, not the auto/calibrate/YPAO RSC.

But still better than nothing at all below 31Hz

Edited by scottrichardson

So 10 of my 12 speakers arrived today! I'm decking the theatre out with a full Power Sound Audio setup. Here's 7 main channels and 3 of my atmos / surrounds. My sub and 4th surround got re-routed by mistake to Mudgee instead of Ulladulla! Whoops. Big thanks to Peter at Deep HZ Audio for his customer service and recommendations. Was a pleasure to deal with. 
speakers-1.jpg
PS - these things are quite big. The 7 main channels all feature dual 10" mid/bass drivers coupled to a horn tweeter. (see next pic)

I was excited enough to see 1 PSA box arrive at my house last week! That's a whole lot of PSA you have there!

I've barely started playing with my xs30se but am already loving its sound. I'm going to get a second one. I think 2 should do the trick!

I would have loved to get a 3600 but I knew I wanted 2 subs and 2 of the xs30se's was a much more affordable option with peters current deal on them. I look forward to following your theatre build!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You won't be sorry you decided upon the Electra's  Scott, many of us on here have adopted Aurthur's devices over the years and not many turn up second hand anywhere, they are just an Ozzy secret. If he does ever get international exposure and plaudits he'll die in that back steel shed of his LOL. Good Luck with what's looking like a great build, colours and finishes decided yet?

Edited by agelessgoodguy
spelling mistake

4 minutes ago, agelessgoodguy said:

You won't be sorry you decided upon the Electra's  Scott, many of us on here have adopted Aurthur's devices over the years and not many turn up second hand anywhere, they are just an Ozzy secret. If he does ever get international exposure and plaudits he'll die in that back steel shed of his LOL. Good Luck with what's looking like a great build, colours and finishes decided yet?

Very excited about the Elektra amps! Should be a couple weeks being built! 

At this stage I believe the colours will be similar to my old HT, so black roof and black front wall, with dark grey for the rest of the walls and black trim/skirting. Carpet will likely be very dark grey as well. 

I'm also going to buy a bunch of acoustic tiles and traps alternating between dark grey/black and red. Thinking these seem decent: http://soundacoustics.com.au/product/architectural-panels/lundor-architectural-acoustic-panel/

Unless you guys can recommend a more worthy supplier of panels? I'm not really keen on the DIY route for bass traps this time round.

• 1 month later...

An update for you all!

So much equipment has arrived over the past month. My screen, lens, slider, JVC X9500 Projector and yesterday my 2 Elektra Theatre HD2 power amps arrived. I unboxed the 7-channel version to take a look. What a thing of beauty. It's incredibly solid, and HEAVY. I was tempted to hook it up to the two PSA mains I unboxed to play with but need to grab some RCA's in town to do it - that's if my borrowed receiver has pre-outs!

Progress on the house goes well. The gyprocking is all finished, with two x 1cm layers in the theatre room walls and roof for 20mm all around which will aid with the sound isolation.

So in reality, the only missing piece of this impending setup is my AV processor. I am holding off as long as possible to see if anything gets released around when I move into the new house. Although I had a dream that I purchased the top-end Denon processor and I was very happy with it. Go figure. I'll post some pics below :)

There's certainly some heft and weight to the projector lamp too, which is impressive. I'm super excited about all the gear I have sitting here waiting to be unleashed. I'm not sure what's more exciting, the home theatre room, or the new house ahah! 

I'm certain I have spent a small fortune on this room this time round, but I know how much we will use the room (every night). So it's going to be worth it I think!

Any word on what new AV Processors will be out this year?

• 2 months later...

Took this terrible photo of the gadgets sitting in the projector bulkhead. Thankfully bolted through the rafters with four very strong rods. Would be an expensive accident if it fell! I need to lift the projector up a little to align with the lens. 

IMG_6979.JPG

And a shot of the (lockable) door. Solid timber door to help with sound leakage. Also can see the red trim that we went for. I will be adding red and grey acoustic tiles to the walls to match the colours. You can also see the bundle of 10 speaker cables for the 8 surrounds and 2 outdoor speakers. 

Im yet to buy a rack to put my amps and soon-to-be-purchased processor on. They will likely start life on a sheet of MDF until I settle on the right way to house the gear. 

IMG_6983.JPG

6 minutes ago, oztheatre said:

Looking good mate I was wondering how all those bits were going.

Love that red trim too!

Hah! It's all been patiently sitting in boxes waiting for our darn house to be finished! FINALLY moving in officially on Saturday and of course one of the first things I'll be doing is setting up the room. Got to see if the 165" screen will fit in the moving truck. It's unopened and still in its box but I understand it has to lie flat?

I'm probably just going to run with the Yamaha CX-A5100 for now for a processor. Should be able to get one for decent price. Can't wait any longer for the new Yamaha processor to come out!

I'll let you know how I go with the screen setup process. I had to get the builders to move the projector box back another 500mm so that I could ensure the PJ was far enough away from the screen with the lens in front to avoid any distortion issues.

2 hours ago, scottrichardson said:

Hah! It's all been patiently sitting in boxes waiting for our darn house to be finished! FINALLY moving in officially on Saturday and of course one of the first things I'll be doing is setting up the room. Got to see if the 165" screen will fit in the moving truck. It's unopened and still in its box but I understand it has to lie flat?

I'm probably just going to run with the Yamaha CX-A5100 for now for a processor. Should be able to get one for decent price. Can't wait any longer for the new Yamaha processor to come out!

I'll let you know how I go with the screen setup process. I had to get the builders to move the projector box back another 500mm so that I could ensure the PJ was far enough away from the screen with the lens in front to avoid any distortion issues.

Yes flat but should be ok in a removal truck if they top load it and keep it fairly flat.. just not upside down, can be on an angle for a journey just not for a long period.

I've had some very keen customers drive down from all over the place to go back with the screen shooting diagonally over the back seats and out the passenger window.. One guy's poor Wife had to go back home in the glove box :lol: priorities!

Edited by oztheatre