Scott's New Build mkII

Moving in day today. I'm pretty buggered since we moved ourselves instead of using a remivalist. 

But I got some progress on the room for you to see :) it's all still a mess but coming along. 

Need to work out the best height and method for lifting my two back and surround channels. Probably just some solid MDF sandwiched "stands" for them to sit on?

IMG_7024.thumb.JPG.4e4888631dc92a4bf830d208edb67dda.JPG

IMG_7025.JPG

IMG_7026.JPG

Your new recliners look uber comfy.

Will you be using tables between/either side for your drinks and munchies? I see you have gone for lever action.

We also went for manual (finger trigger) recliners. Alot cheaper, less to go wrong (hopefully) and no power needed :)

Keep bringing on the pics.

On 23/07/2017 at 5:36 PM, 709er said:

Your new recliners look uber comfy.

Will you be using tables between/either side for your drinks and munchies? I see you have gone for lever action.

We also went for manual (finger trigger) recliners. Alot cheaper, less to go wrong (hopefully) and no power needed :)

Keep bringing on the pics.

Actually those seats are all from my old setup in my previous house with theatre room. The recliners are great but the two seater isn't the best. Sinks in the middle.

In answer to your question, yes I will be placing a table between the two front seats. That is until I end up replacing all the seats with better, more cinema-esque seating. I'd like to run two rows of three black seats with red trim to match the decor. Or even red with black trim. Don't want to get anything too expensive, probably max. budget would be $6k for all six.

I have finally moved the sub and scope screen into the room. Will unbox over the next few days. The screen in the box only fits in the room if its laid diagonally as it's about 3cm too wide for the room hahah. Unboxed I'm sure it will be fine however.

I have also removed all the boxes and foam from inside the PSA boxes. There was tons! Thankfully gave both the boxes and the foam away today so that cleared up some space.

Still can't test the system out as I have no AV processor still... That should be rectified within the next week or so!

More pics and updates soon! Can't wait to finally hang the screen and fire up the projector. 

Any tips on putting the screen together would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by scottrichardson

1 hour ago, oztheatre said:

Install manual is here Scott http://ozts.com.au/Majestic_Install_Manual.pdf

Let me know how it all goes ok,

Rich

Thanks Rich. It's all coming back to me now. I remember doing it the last time! This time will be a little trickier given the extra size! I'm going to probably unbox the screen shortly to start tinkering!

Oh, here's a funny pic I took after unboxing all my PSA speakers and being left with all the foam! (which I gave away).

IMG_7076.jpg

Edited by scottrichardson

On 7/31/2017 at 9:13 PM, scottrichardson said:

Thanks Rich. It's all coming back to me now. I remember doing it the last time! This time will be a little trickier given the extra size! I'm going to probably unbox the screen shortly to start tinkering!

Oh, here's a funny pic I took after unboxing all my PSA speakers and being left with all the foam! (which I gave away).

IMG_7076.jpg

That's one crazy pic! I feel so "un-green".

Hope you got your screen assembly to run smoothly.

We have set up a kit screen before, but it was a different system to the OZTS, so didn't have any tips to contribute.

I guess the main criterion are patience, common sense, a good back and a very large available flat area! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Got the screen up!! My mate and I had some fun over the weekend. The 165" screen is so big that my mate and I were stuck on either end of the room once we started framing it up!

thabkfully it all went smoothly and it looks phenomenal. 

I still need to lift my projector up a little to compensate for the extra height required by the lens and motor system for anamorphic. Hoping to do that tonight with some blocks of wood. 

Heres some more pics...

IMG_7159.JPG

IMG_7160.JPG

IMG_7161.JPG

IMG_7162.JPG

IMG_7164.JPG

IMG_7165.JPG

• Like 2

PS - Richard, your drop sheet was WAY too small for my screen to be fully protected haha!

Still no action on the choice of AV Processor. But I may be getting swayed towards the Marantz 8802... will update soon. 

Does anyone have any preferences in acoustic tiles/panels/bass traps?

Looking very nice indeed. That is one big screen! Can understand the space issues.

One definitely needs to be a contortionist to self build an HT. Sometimes felt like a new wave dancer whilst building mine. Fab exercise :)

• 1 month later...

Quick update! 

So I finally pulled the pin on an Av Processor and went with a Marantz AV8802a. As a life-long Yamaha user, it was a tough call, but after Goran at Sydney hi-fi (who I'd purchased all my Yamahas from in the past) suggested I give the Marantz a shot, I took the plunge. 

Totally aware there may be an AV8804 coming  next year, but the reality is the current model is more than adequate for my 11.1 setup.

So that will arrive this week. I have used the projector to play Destiny 2 on my PS4 Pro running 4K. Resolution looks very good. Not 4K, but certainly can see more detail when I switch between 1080p and 4K output on the PS4 Pro. Out of the box performance of the X9500 is amazing. 

Played with the anamorphic lens and got it to a point I am mostly happy with. Pincusion is real, but mostly circumvented by the black velvet frame.

Yesterday I started building the 'risers' for my speakers. The front three speakers will use 7 x 16mm glue and screwed sandwiched MDF boards, which I will then run red skirting around to give the appearance that the speaker risers are built into the room. The surrounds and backs will look similar, but be a little higher to get the sound clearing the back row of seats + heads. I'll likely just sandwich some boards then build up as a box.

Finally, I'm about to order some acoustic tiles and bass traps. I made my traps last time but I really would prefer something that looks a little nicer so thinking of something from soundacoustics.com.au.

Will post some fresh pics soon. Including some 4K vs 1080p photos / crops from the JVC X9500 while playing Destiny 2.

• Like 1

Hey folks!

8802 arrived, along with all my acoustic tiles and bass traps from Sound Acoustics Australia. 

Am am yet to actually place the tiles in their final position on the walls, however I imagine it will be done before the week is out. 

I have 12 x wideband diffusers, 10 x mid-high band diffusers and 6 x bass traps. Should have a huge impact on the room.

as you can see I have also propped my front three mains up on DIY stands. Not finished yet but they are sandwiched MDF which will be sanded and painted black. Then I will skirt around them with red skirt to match the room. Then I will do similar under the surrounds although those four will need to be about triple the height or more. 

Early impressions of the 8802a are super positive. Audyssey did a great job in my room although I have some questions which I will get to. 

So essentially all I have left now is finishing stands, getting my amps and processor rack built (neighbour is a metal worker), and stapling my acoustic treatments to the walls and roof. 

I will Finally then swap out these lazy boy sofas for some HT chairs with two rows of three seats which I think would be ideal for this room size of 4.4 x 5.4m. 

Im hearing very little bass in the front row at the moment and a ton in the back row so need to try to overcome room modes. This caused me no end of issues in my previous theatre so I’m a bit trepidatious about the process!

hope you like the pics. Will post some more, final pics taken on my SLR and wide angle lens once everything is finished!!

Scottie

1CC13072-7A03-4071-A077-A12207DA1BBE.jpeg

716DFABE-2D8D-4738-8E17-78A261FF5433.jpeg

9C34676B-681F-413A-A723-F86BB3E3E4A1.jpeg

A3C02240-8B69-4960-89FD-C88BD81CB999.jpeg

87DC3FB3-53F8-47CC-AD49-03C01A35B684.jpeg

CA510D6B-0535-4A78-9AE7-11D59DD18EF0.jpeg

279138C3-4DD8-44A8-AD19-BB29E80322C8.jpeg

31044B4D-AD6B-448C-B2BB-A56083816121.jpeg

994FFACF-ED42-4394-8E50-443459197F94.jpeg

F5F4BF79-378B-446D-A088-08EA1BD4F3FE.jpeg

• Like 5

• 3 years later...

Well, looking back on this thread brought up all sorts of emotions. 

It's been 3 years+ since I last updated you all on my room. I actually went through a divorce/separation and moved out about 6 months after my last post in this thread. To keep a long story short, within the next 6 - 8 weeks I should be back in my home! I did post a thread earlier mentioning the fact that I'm back. Looks like life is realigning itself and I'm getting back on track.

I sold off almost everything, except I kept the speakers, the screen and the acoustic tiles. And the room itself of course.

Today I purchased:

1 x Slidamorphic Motorised Lens Slide

2 x Elektra Theatre HD2 7ch amplifiers

1 x Marantz 8805 Processor

1 x (latest model) JVC Projector up to $10k in value or so.

I basically put my name down for whatever projector arrives that is equivalent to the N7. Rumour has it that new models are inbound so whatever that ends up being will be the one I get.

I also purchased last week:

1 x Aussmorphic MK4 lens

2 x 3-seater motorised LED-lit recliners

Until the projector arrives I have a 75" LG 4K LCD that I can utilise.

It is my goal to fully complete this room, and make it feel 'finished'. Currently my acoustic tiles look like a patchwork quilt stapled to the walls, which sounded fantastic, but looked average at best. So my goal is to cover the walls with panels that cover up the acoustic panels with black/grey cloth that is transparent enough for the sound to travel through so that the acoustic panels can still do their jobs (advice on which would be most welcomed). I'm considering some wood paneling with LED lighting to sit along the bottom 20% of the walls to create some visual accents. 

One thing I DID consider, was building a false wall at the front and aligning the screen with the front baffle of the speakers, OR, potentially replacing the screen with an acoustically transparent one and raising the speakers up to sit behind it as many of you do. This would allow me to also sit the sub up higher and get a 2nd to match it behind the screen. To achieve this and retain the screen size may be tricky. I'd have to move the projector right to the back of the room.

Anyway, apologies for the rant. I feel like my life has partially been on hiatus for three years. Juts excited to be back! I'll use this thread from now on. Will delete the other one.

Regards,

Scottie

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

And so it has begun. My Marantz 8805 processor, motorised lens slide, and lens have all arrived! Awaiting arrival of my two 7ch Elektra amps next. 

And we have a move-in date of 23rd of November! I'm so excited. This will be my little project leading into XMAS - at least to get it up and running.

Only thing missing from my initial setup is a projector. At the suggestion of my equipment retailer, I have held off on purchasing a JVC N7 as there appears to be new models about to be announced! So I will hold off a couple more weeks and see what comes of that. Worst case I have a perfectly fine 75" LG TV we can use in there until a projector arrives!

Looking forward, I've commenced plans on the construction updates. I'm going to be building columns from floor to ceiling that will house the side and rear surrounds, AND I'm building two extra columns to house future front-wides. The columns will have natural timber sides, while the front face will be completely covered in black speaker cloth. The speakers themselves are PSA MTM210's so they are quite deep. I'll be cutting out a portion of the gyprock where the speaker will rest within the column so that it can be recessed back into the wall cavity a bit, which will reduce its intrusion into the room. The rest of the "in-fill" of the column will be some form of bass trap, either with just some insulation, or I might go fancy and build some layers with ply etc to create proper low frequency absorption based on the info over at http://acousticfields.com.

I'll post up some design plans for the renovation soon!

8805.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, scottrichardson said:

And so it has begun. My Marantz 8805 processor, motorised lens slide, and lens have all arrived! Awaiting arrival of my two 7ch Elektra amps next. 

And we have a move-in date of 23rd of November! I'm so excited. This will be my little project leading into XMAS - at least to get it up and running.

Only thing missing from my initial setup is a projector. At the suggestion of my equipment retailer, I have held off on purchasing a JVC N7 as there appears to be new models about to be announced! So I will hold off a couple more weeks and see what comes of that. Worst case I have a perfectly fine 75" LG TV we can use in there until a projector arrives!

Looking forward, I've commenced plans on the construction updates. I'm going to be building columns from floor to ceiling that will house the side and rear surrounds, AND I'm building two extra columns to house future front-wides. The columns will have natural timber sides, while the front face will be completely covered in black speaker cloth. The speakers themselves are PSA MTM210's so they are quite deep. I'll be cutting out a portion of the gyprock where the speaker will rest within the column so that it can be recessed back into the wall cavity a bit, which will reduce its intrusion into the room. The rest of the "in-fill" of the column will be some form of bass trap, either with just some insulation, or I might go fancy and build some layers with ply etc to create proper low frequency absorption based on the info over at http://acousticfields.com.

I'll post up some design plans for the renovation soon!

8805.jpg

Nice one, will be even sweeter the second time around!

enjoy!

• Love 1

• 3 weeks later...

And so the time has come. We're moving back in this weekend and so here's some photos of the state of the room. Screen and acoustic panels still in place.

The acoustic panels made the room sound better, and I'm very happy with the overall acoustics, but absolutely not happy with aesthetics. I'll be building some floor to ceiling panels that contain these acoustic tiles inside them, with some sort of material covering that still allows the acoustic tiles to achieve their goal - looking for advice on that actually! Then Im going to build the columns into the wall to hold the side and rear surrounds.

IMG_4476.thumb.jpg.1f89b72b9ecf5b432e585f744a2d895e.jpg

IMG_4477.thumb.jpg.5634806d446bc8bfdb84aad193fd9021.jpgIMG_4479.thumb.jpg.3b3ea6506f0e97bb5e830f4c28df50fb.jpgIMG_4474.thumb.jpg.588afc5b6fccaa4f6049fad8be41c919.jpg

IMG_4478.jpg

• Like 1

Update:

Ordered one of the last JVC N7's in the country. Should be here by Friday this week or Monday next. I've been warned that there's been a raft of issues with these models, ranging from pretty bad to minor, to absolute perfection. A bit or Russian roulette, however it's a risk I was willing to take as I really want to have the room up and running in some form before XMAS. 

Elektra amps should arrive in a week or so! 

• Like 1

Nice work Scottie and I bet you can't wait to fire up the JVC N7 in there.  In regards to your acoustic foam tiles, you could consider framing them with timber (sides and back) then wrapping with black speaker grill cloth.  I'd also consider building a screen wall and putting your LCR speakers behind an acoustically transparent screen (if your budget and space allows!)  This will give your room a much neater appearance as your front speakers and acoustic treatments (e.g. bass traps) will also be hidden.

1 hour ago, ShouwnO said:

Nice work Scottie and I bet you can't wait to fire up the JVC N7 in there.  In regards to your acoustic foam tiles, you could consider framing them with timber (sides and back) then wrapping with black speaker grill cloth.  I'd also consider building a screen wall and putting your LCR speakers behind an acoustically transparent screen (if your budget and space allows!)  This will give your room a much neater appearance as your front speakers and acoustic treatments (e.g. bass traps) will also be hidden.

Absolutely. That framing technique was what I was going to do. I may end up ordering some MORE tiles and making it look more uniform for now. Sound acoustics make some nice coloured panels in the same size so I might get some red ones to match the decor. 

And YES, the plan IS to frame the front and build a false wall and fill it with my LCRs, sub, another sub when I get it, and lots of insulation. I’ll take that opportunity to lower the screen by about a foot. 

My only concern is throw distance. I think I can only move the projector back about 25cm. And it’s currently at max zoom for its location. So I need to be careful. I may need a smaller screen ?

Also, be careful not to 'overtreat' your room with foam tiles - these things can really sap the life out of your speakers!  I made this mistake with my room and in the end I had to add thin balsa wood panels over some of the foam tiles (at my room's first reflection point) to get some 'life' back into the front soundstage.

• Like 1