13 minutes ago, franin said:

Don’t want too be in the room as my AV Gear is in another room.

Have a look at this, the limit for the ARC low speed cable is 3m.

http://www.ebay.com.au/gds/USB-Cable-Length-Limitations-and-how-to-break-them-/10000000001067998/g.html

Still think it is easier if you use a laptop with existing cable..

Have a look at this, the limit for the ARC low speed cable is 3m.

http://www.ebay.com.au/gds/USB-Cable-Length-Limitations-and-how-to-break-them-/10000000001067998/g.html

Still think it is easier if you use a laptop with existing cable..

I’ll check the manual for the supplied length hopefully it should be okay

On 02/03/2018 at 3:47 AM, DarkNark said:

I can't see why you would run virtualisation software on your Mac when you can buy a laptop with Windows 10 installed for the same price that you can download Windows 10.

While certainly a solution for some, the limited periods wouldn't suit me. 

No I don’t think you can buy a windows machine for nothing. Some might think that’s more than their worth but that’s a little off topic.

What I said was Mac users don’t need to buy a physical windows host to run ARC. They can run windows in a virtual environment. Many Mac users will already have vmware or parallels and run any windows software they need this way already. Otherwise they can download virtualbox from Oracle (for free), load a developer windows image from MS (for free) and run ARC.

The dev images are good for several months, after which you can always download a new one. If you only need to do a one-off or rare task like run ARC to setup your equipment then it’s a handy thing.

If your room EQ is changing everyday, because... you live on a park bench or something. Then perhaps this isn’t for you. But then you probably have more important issues to worry about like your rummy mates selling your Anthem, or the damn 9pm sprinklers going off every Wednesday.

;)

On 04/03/2018 at 12:23 AM, franin said:

I’ll check the manual for the supplied length hopefully it should be okay

Just measured mine, 3.7m.

Can I use with my 4 subs the XLR SUB 1 AND SUB 2 also the RCA SUB 1 and SUB 2 at the same time ?

33 minutes ago, franin said:

Can I use with my 4 subs the XLR SUB 1 AND SUB 2 also the RCA SUB 1 and SUB 2 at the same time ?

Maybe?

I want to biamplify some of my speakers. Can I use the RCA outputs on the preamp to feed some amp channels and the XLR outputs to feed others?

Although they put out a signal simultaneously, using them for biamplification will cause an imbalance since the XLR outputs are louder. It's a lot simpler to just use a Y-splitter.

This came from the FAQs.  While this is referring to bi-amping, I think the same principle applies because there is an imbalance.  If you can adjust for the imbalance, it is theoretically possible? 

Thanks for that. That is right actually I remember reading awhile back that RCA and XLR run at different volumes. I’ll stick with my Y Splitter.

Still waiting for my call when my Anthem arrives. I’m having withdrawal symptoms

Guest DarkNark
18 hours ago, Gridmon said:
No I don’t think you can buy a windows machine for nothing

Ok

Edited by DarkNark
Play nice

Guest DarkNark

Still waiting for my call when my Anthem arrives. I’m having withdrawal symptoms

Good luck with it all. Keep us informed with how you progress. I hope you are impressed with the ARC system as much as I was. It was a stunning change for my system the first time I ran it. [emoji4]

On 3/2/2018 at 2:34 PM, Snoopy8 said:

Sorry, mentioned earlier but not in later posts.  Suggest having in profiles:

• Standard
  • Full L&R Max Eq 300 Hz
  • Full L&R Max Eq 500 Hz
  • Full L&R&C Max Eq 500 Hz  (changed this from earlier suggestion to include centre).

@SimonNo10  interested in your feedback, even negative, so that others can learn from it.

Good luck with it all. Keep us informed with how you progress. I hope you are impressed with the ARC system as much as I was. It was a stunning change for my system the first time I ran it. [emoji4]

Thanks mate. I hope so too :)

1 hour ago, Snoopy8 said:

@SimonNo10  interested in your feedback, even negative, so that others can learn from it.

Sorry haven't had time to test those settings yet.

5 hours ago, Snoopy8 said:

Maybe?

This came from the FAQs.  While this is referring to bi-amping, I think the same principle applies because there is an imbalance.  If you can adjust for the imbalance, it is theoretically possible? 

There's a 6 dB differential between XLR and RCA (in favour of XLR). Using it on a sub is less of a problem, than say, fronts, but be careful running ARC on the subs in this configuration as ARC will make some interesting decisions.

I’ve asked this question in another thread but I want too ask it here as well. Audyssey when calibrating uses 0.0db in there MV as reference is Anthem the same ?

12 minutes ago, franin said:

I’ve asked this question in another thread but I want too ask it here as well. Audyssey when calibrating uses 0.0db in there MV as reference is Anthem the same ?

Not sure I understand your question, but let me explain what I know of ARC.

During measurement, ARC aiming for 75 dB as reference but will sometimes go higher.  ARC will then adjust the relative levels of the speakers.  Screen shot of levels within ARC, sorry quite faint because it is greyed out and cannot be changed by user. 

image.png.82a661c75355807981cf5a9ac867ef17.png

Oh okay I’m used too Audyssey setting the receivers / preamps at 0.0 when calibrating with there mic. Just curious to find what my reference point in the master volume in the Anthem.

Not sure I understand your question, but let me explain what I know of ARC.
During measurement, ARC aiming for 75 dB as reference but will sometimes go higher.  ARC will then adjust the relative levels of the speakers.  Screen shot of levels within ARC, sorry quite faint because it is greyed out and cannot be changed by user. 
image.png.82a661c75355807981cf5a9ac867ef17.png

Looking at that pic where is says calibration offset I’m assuming is based it on master volume being 0db. Correct

Guest DarkNark
2 minutes ago, franin said:

Looking at that pic where is says calibration offset I’m assuming is based it on master volume being 0db. Correct

I didn't adjust my volume knob to any position. I had previously been playing music and my volume knob was at -35 dB. I ran ARC and away it went. 

I didn't adjust my volume knob to any position. I had previously been playing music and my volume knob was at -35 dB. I ran ARC and away it went. 

With Audyssey I noticed regardless what volume it is when calibrating it automatically switches too 0.0db

Guest DarkNark
Just now, franin said:

With Audyssey I noticed regardless what volume it is when calibrating it automatically switches too 0.0db

Ok. I am not sure I noticed what it was because when I ran it, I left the room. Only advice I can give,  wear earplugs. :)

Ok. I am not sure I noticed what it was because when I ran it, I left the room. Only advice I can give,  wear earplugs. [emoji4]

Will do thanks :)

18 minutes ago, franin said:

OK, I now understand the context of your question. ARC sets its own volume during measurement, but I do not know at what number.  I doubt it is the 0 dB.  My highest volume during movies is about -20 to -15 dB and any more would bring the neighbours out! 

p/s as an aside, I do not know how people claim they watch movies at reference level (0 dB ??). Remember, this a log scale measurement. I get more than enough slam at -20 with the dual subs.  My equipment will do 0 dB but not sure the ears will survive?

Edited by Snoopy8
Typos

Agreed. If I listened at my place at -15 dB on my D2v, I'd be deaf.

Well I just got the call it should arrive today. Excited and nervous :)