4 hours ago, Snoopy8 said:

Been using a Harmony remote with my 710 and no problems. Your better half may not be pointing the remote long enough at the unit?  Try adding a short delay and teaching the wife to point the remote longer.

Is it best for AVR to be turned on first or last? Will have to look into the remote software to work out how to achieve this, I have a Harmony 650

9 minutes ago, 2LOUD2OLD said:

Is it best for AVR to be turned on first or last? Will have to look into the remote software to work out how to achieve this, I have a Harmony 650

Same Harmony model. Sequence depends on your equipment. My plasma tv is very slow in starting up, hence is first and I added a delay before switching to hdmi.

In your case, suggest AVR first, make sure it switches to correct input. It may help because your wife may not be pointing the Harmony long enough for it to complete its sequence.

To make changes, go into My Harmony, select the activity, customize this activity.

Same Harmony model. Sequence depends on your equipment. My plasma tv is very slow in starting up, hence is first and I added a delay before switching to hdmi.

In your case, suggest AVR first, make sure it switches to correct input. It may help because your wife may not be pointing the Harmony long enough for it to complete its sequence.

To make changes, go into My Harmony, select the activity, customize this activity.
Will give it a go, thanks

6 hours ago, 2LOUD2OLD said:

Interestingly has only ever happened when it has been my wife using the thing.

It is a fact that wives are unable to use a Harmony remote.

Hi All

I've been meaning to update my experience into the thread for a while and it seems like today is a good day.

I purchased a MRX-510 from HifiExpress Ebay and it worked well apart from the fact it would shutdown when loud spikes in movies happened. If the receiver was unplugged for a while, it wouldn't happen again straight away, it could be hours or days, but it would happen again.

Once the issue happened, I could unplug all devices expect one source and unplug all speakers, so there was no sound and it would still shut down when it got to the audio spike in the movie. (The test I used was the start of the movie Iron Man - There is an explosion at about the 2 minute mark that would cause my 510 to shut down if the volume was -24 or louder with my speakers.)

I reported it to HifiExpress/Audio Active and I had to take it to Filatronics for repair. It came back without them being able to reproduce it (at the time I hadn't worked out that unplugging it corrected it for a while).

So I had some back and forth with Filatronics to try a few things, resets, disconnecting everything etc but it was still happening.

Both Filatronics and Audio Active were really good about it and decided they would replace it rather than making me go through the hassle of potentially more trips to the repairer. They didn't have another 510, so it was replaced with a 710 at no extra cost to me.

The 710 was in good condition, but the marks around the HDMI out showed it had been used a fair bit. No big deal.

The good news is that the 710 didn't suffer the same shutdown issue that the 510 did.

So to yamapro, this may be the unit I had that is now repaired unless they got another one in from somewhere (which they probably do from time to time).

To 2LOUD2OLD, with the 710 I have had the unit lock up once. I do use a harmony but I had manually turned on the zone 2 only and was playing some music (analogue source) for a while but it stopped at the end of the album. A while later I went inside and pressed the zone 2 power toggle, but it didn't go off. No other buttons on the front or remote did anything. Powered off at the wall and have not had the problem again so far.

Ben

Hi. I will be upgrading from 7.2 Yamaha to Atmos and the $1000 trade in on the 1120 caught my eye. Only ever had a couple of Yamaha avr's. Don't know anyone with Anthem so was wondering are the worth the extra $' s Im assuming the ARC is much better than yamaha's EQ. 

4 minutes ago, SandS said:

Hi. I will be upgrading from 7.2 Yamaha to Atmos and the $1000 trade in on the 1120 caught my eye. Only ever had a couple of Yamaha avr's. Don't know anyone with Anthem so was wondering are the worth the extra $' s Im assuming the ARC is much better than yamaha's EQ. 

Hi Stu!

By all accounts the Anthem ARC room correction software is among the very best available and a big step up from Yamaha's YPAO. That said I'm not sure exactly how much you would gain from it. The general consensus seems to be that the positives of RC software are mostly found in the lower frequencies ,and that electronic EQ should be limited to under the  Schroeder frequency, especially with speakers as well designed as your Cat12's. Which is why the Anthem ARC system allows you to limit the correction range (I think as low as 200hz up to 4 or 5Khz). But with you having a MiniDSP in place and having your delays/crossovers/EQ set by Paul - I'm not sure you would get the full benefit. I'd definitely speak with Paul first and see if he feels it'd be worth the premium.

Of course there are other reason to buy Anthem as they are well built and (IMHO) classy looking units.

40 minutes ago, SandS said:

Don't know anyone with Anthem so was wondering are the worth the extra $' s Im assuming the ARC is much better than yamaha's EQ. 

Have used ARC in 3 untreated rooms in different houses, all with excellent results. When we first shifted to our new home, the family room was an echo chamber and ARC made it passable. 

18 minutes ago, jamiebosco said:

But with you having a MiniDSP in place and having your delays/crossovers/EQ set by Paul - I'm not sure you would get the full benefit. I'd definitely speak with Paul first and see if he feels it'd be worth the premium.

Am using a Behringer DCX2496 to integrate & optimise my dual subs. ARC gives excellent results when the subs are integrated. 

Besides managing the subs, ARC improves the separation of channels, dialog is clearer on centre speaker.

The DCX2496 sounds impressive,  my mini DSP is 2x4 but only use 1 in and 1 out to my Behringer Europower 2x2000 watt to my 2 horn subs, 

1 hour ago, SandS said:

The DCX2496 sounds impressive,  my mini DSP is 2x4 but only use 1 in and 1 out to my Behringer Europower 2x2000 watt to my 2 horn subs, 

It does not matter whether you use a mini DSP or  Behringer.

ARC is treating multi subs as 1 sub channel. Multi subs should be integrated and optimised prior to running ARC. Integration can be as basic as ensuring that the phases are aligned to doing what Paul Spencer did with your setup. 

I used a program called Multi Sub Optimisation (MSO). Prior to that, I tried using REW to integrate my dual subs but MSO with ARC produced an outstanding result.

Unable to comment on YPAO (Yamaha) because I have not used it. I am confident you will find ARC very good.

What's the build quality of Anthem components Like? 

Asking, due to interest in their new STR 2 channel integrated ? 

5 hours ago, cafe67 said:

What's the build quality of Anthem components Like? 

Asking, due to interest in their new STR 2 channel integrated ? 

Build quality is generally good for the Anthem and layout of both the front and back is well thought out.

What will be interesting is how people will be using ARC for 2 channel in the STR. Dirac is accepted for 2 channel but ARC is usually used for HT. But Anthem pre pro owners can use ARC, so would like to hear from them how good ARC is for 2 channel.

I'm comparing the Anthem MRX1120 to Yamaha RX-A3070.for a 7:2:4 setup. I was told the 1120 will only use the Atmos speakers when playing an Atmos sound track BD. Where as the 3070 can be configured to use the Atmos speakers when playing non Atmos soundtrack if you wanted. Any Anthem users thoughts on this....

I was also told the 1120 has 7x140 watt and 4x100 amps (2 100 watt Sterio amps) not the 11x140 watt like the book says.

1 hour ago, SandS said:

I was told the 1120 will only use the Atmos speakers when playing an Atmos sound track BD. Where as the 3070 can be configured to use the Atmos speakers when playing non Atmos soundtrack if you wanted. Any Anthem users thoughts on this....

According to the manual (I have non Atmos 710), the 1120 will use the height (Atmos) speakers with AnthemLogic, Dolby Surround, DTS X. 

1 hour ago, SandS said:

I was also told the 1120 has 7x140 watt and 4x100 amps (2 100 watt Sterio amps) not the 11x140 watt like the book says.

The 1120 has 5 Class A/B 140 watt amplifiers and 6 Class D 60 watt amplifiers. Some reviews, including SNA, got it wrong by saying it is 11x 140.

Note that the 3070 has 9 x 150W, so you do need an additional 2 channel amplifier for 7.2.4

Also, 1120 power consumption is 570W, not sure what the 3070 is.

-------

More importantly, have you heard both the Anthem & Yamaha?  And Anthem has ARC, considered one of the best room correction software. Have not read about anyone rating YPAO well.

3 hours ago, Snoopy8 said:

Note that the 3070 has 9 x 150W, so you do need an additional 2 channel amplifier for 7.2.4

If I go the Yamaha path, I have the Cat 12C's for mains so 9 ch. ok

With the 1120 would 4x140 for surrounds and 4x60 for the hights be the best.

28 minutes ago, SandS said:

If I go the Yamaha path, I have the Cat 12C's for mains so 9 ch. ok

With the 1120 would 4x140 for surrounds and 4x60 for the hights be the best.

You cannot reassign the main amps on the 1120.  No idea whether this is possible on the 3070?

The Yamaha is starting to sound better, with 9ch. at 150 watts. Just got a call back from Anthem dealer, he said at first 11@140. But then said what you recon, 5@140,6@60. 

Two anthem dealers have tryed to sell me the Yamaha over the Anthem, unless I'm looking at the AVM60 pre/pro and $10k for amps 

12 minutes ago, SandS said:

The Yamaha is starting to sound better, with 9ch. at 150 watts. Just got a call back from Anthem dealer, he said at first 11@140. But then said what you recon, 5@140,6@60.

I am not so sure about the Yamaha 9 x 150 W.  If you can find out the power consumption, that will give you a better idea of its power capabilities.

15 minutes ago, SandS said:

Two anthem dealers have tryed to sell me the Yamaha over the Anthem, unless I'm looking at the AVM60 pre/pro and $10k for amps 

Guessing here, but I suspect the Yamaha may have better margins??

Going back to my suggestion about listening to both - the Yamaha will likely sound different to the Anthem.  Let your ears be the judge...

1 hour ago, SandS said:

Yamaha 3070 has 9 x 150W, power consumption of 490W (from manual). Anthem 1120 has 5 x 140W, 6 x 60W, power consumption of 570W.  The power consumption is a better indicator of how much power the amps can produce.

2 hours ago, Snoopy8 said:

You cannot reassign the main amps on the 1120.  No idea whether this is possible on the 3070?

Can assign surround/rear amps to zones 2,3,4, probably not able to re assign main amps ?

----------------------

Good side by side comparison of specs

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-fXQVgDOQdyi/compare_022RXA3070_973MRX1120/Yamaha-AVENTAGE-RX-A3070-vs-Anthem-MRX-1120.html

A review of both AVRs plus others

https://www.themasterswitch.com/best-av-receivers

Thanks for info. The two Anthem dealers near me, nether have an MRX 1120 to listen to. Only the AVM60.  A bit disappointing. I supose they think if you can afford Anthem you can afford to go all out. Reminds me of a time years ago in a hi fi shop I went to to listen to some Boston Acustic speakers, you had to go though the blue carpet room into the red carpet room, full of all high end gear, and I was given the impression that, 'you don't look like you can afford any of this stuff and we don't want to talk to you', never been back there.

One dealer had checked with the importer, Audio Active, and said 7 A/B class amps @140 and 4 D class @80 watts.

But I'll read these articles ........

Edited by SandS

1 hour ago, SandS said:

One dealer had checked with the importer, Audio Active, and said 7 A/B class amps @140 and 4 D class @80 watts.

But I'll read these articles ........

https://www.anthemav.com/products-current/series=mrx-series/model=mrx-1120/page=specs

Definitely 60w for secondary speakers and 5 x 140W, see above specs.

Shame that the dealers and importer cannot get it correct!

Shame the two dealers near me can't give me a demo.

23 hours ago, SandS said:

Shame the two dealers near me can't give me a demo.

Don't let the 1120;s 6x60watt height/rear surround channels put you off Sands ; they are class d so more efficient than the 3070;s class ab which makes the power consumption snoopy mentioned all the better in anthems favour . anthem too may be more conservative in how they rate their amps output :)

Noteworthy too; the yam has useless composite and component analog inputs unlike the 1120 and upsamples video to uhd  res . The anthem afaik just has a clean video passthrough which makes more sense to me when we have superior deinterlacing/.scaling in our sources/displays where it belongs imo.. 

Note too; 1 review mentioned the yam may have impedance concerns with rare hard to drive impedances..   No support for four-ohm loudspeakers apart from front stereo pair 

Any chance either dealer can give you a NAD T777mk3 audition ? just to complicate things sorry:ninja:http://www.nadelectronics.com.au/nad_au/home-theatre/t-777-v3-av-surround-sound-receiver/c-37/c-1102/p-1601

Edited by cwt