8 minutes ago, TerryO said:

So is the Anthem back up for sale yet? ... ;)

cheers Terry

Well is someone really wanted it then I would consider. I'm pretty sure not many would have the same setup as me just 1 source that plays everything.

I am going to have to get 2 separate sources, one for movies and one for Music.
Will keep HTPC for music of all types, video concerts, surround music and 2 channel music and probably a Nvidia shield or similar for movies.
Music of all types is still far better including 5.1 music concerts with ARC OFF. Movies are better with ARC On so currently with all content on the one device (HTPC) it's too much of a pain having to keep on turning Arc on and off, exactly the same thing with Audyssey.
Have you tried creating a separate input with the same source?

Sent from my R7sf using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, 2LOUD2OLD said:

Have you tried creating a separate input with the same source?

Impossible as only 1 hdmi out from PC.

have pink floyd pulse on at the moment and it's fantastic ( with Arc off)

13 minutes ago, powerav said:

I'm pretty sure not many would have the same setup as me just 1 source that plays everything.

True, seems your punishing the AVR for a situation that won't be fixed by selling this and getting another AVR, same problem will exist like it did with the Integra.

59 minutes ago, powerav said:

Will keep HTPC for music of all types, video concerts, surround music and 2 channel music and probably a Nvidia shield or similar for movies.

problem solved!

3 minutes ago, Hi-Fi Whipped said:

same problem will exist like it did with the Integra.

Only with the Audyssey ones, anything without fancy room correction is fine as all music is great and movies are OK so with room correction movies are great but music no good hence why there is the option to turn it off. Different source equipment is the go, oh it's not easy being different.:(

Impossible as only 1 hdmi out from PC.
have pink floyd pulse on at the moment and it's fantastic ( with Arc off)
What I mean is you can add another input in the input setup but use the same source on both with different settings

3 minutes ago, 2LOUD2OLD said:

What I mean is you can add another input in the input setup but use the same source on both with different settings

Ohh yeah I know what you mean now, will investigate 

7 minutes ago, 2LOUD2OLD said:

You Legend!!! You just solved the worlds greatest problem.:thumb::wub:

Guess what! It ain't for sale......again.

15 minutes ago, 2LOUD2OLD said:

now theres a man that knows his gear!

I must have said it too early :)

Ben

17 minutes ago, BenH said:

I must have said it too early :)

Ben

Sorry I did completely miss it, probably wasn't it the right frame of mind then.

Also, you can assign ARC profiles to the inputs, allowing you to experiment with different target settings.

16 hours ago, Snoopy8 said:

Also, you can assign ARC profiles to the inputs, allowing you to experiment with different target settings.

Can you do an Arc profile with no correction applied to front left/right speakers just like in Audyssey where you can turn Audyssey off for front left/right? I don't recall being a check box option in the Arc software like there is for all the other speakers.

After an afternoon with no one home was able to let the 720 loose, it is better with ARC on for music concerts, have Genisis when in Rome on at the moment and ARC brings in the bass and better vocals.

For 2 channel music I'm not inspired by it, it needs a pure direct mode like other AVRs maybe be better with separate dac going into analog inputs. It's a surround device first and 2 channel for convenience I suppose just a shame though that it can't compete in 2 channel mode with an Integra 30.4 and 30.5 with poweramp, that's the best avr with 2 channel performance I have heard so far. 

Anyway it definitely excels in what it is probably primarily designed for.

2 subs are working very well also, don't feel the need for a Mini dsp.

2 channel can't even get close to this anyway :thumb:

IMG_0863.JPG

IMG_0864.JPG

I reckon you need to get rid of that old Anthem AVR and get a Yamaha RXA 3060/70, they have a Pure Direct Mode and man does it sound good for 2-channel. ... :angel:

cheers Terry

Edited by TerryO

7 hours ago, powerav said:

Can you do an Arc profile with no correction applied to front left/right speakers just like in Audyssey where you can turn Audyssey off for front left/right? I don't recall being a check box option in the Arc software like there is for all the other speakers.

You can switch ARC on/off within the Inputs.  For an input with ARC on, you can then determine which ARC profile (you have 4) to apply.  Profiles allow you experiment how ARC is applied. eg.one profile may have full speakers, another may have different crossovers, another for stereo etc.

4 hours ago, powerav said:

For 2 channel music I'm not inspired by it, it needs a pure direct mode like other AVRs maybe be better with separate dac going into analog inputs. It's a surround device first and 2 channel for convenience I suppose just a shame though that it can't compete in 2 channel mode with an Integra 30.4 and 30.5 with poweramp, that's the best avr with 2 channel performance I have heard so far.

It is good that you are testing the limits of what stereo can do, something I did not have to do.  Suggest you contact Anthem to get further advice on how to maximise stereo performance.

2 channel can't even get close to this anyway :thumb:

IMG_0863.JPG

IMG_0864.JPG

I have the SACDs and also the 24/96 2 channel flac versions of them.  Since yesterday, I can also play the 2 channel DSDs in native format. 

So far in limited testing, I think 2 channel DSD is better than 24/96 flac.  Still debating whether 2 channel DSD is better or not than 5 channel DSD on MRX-710 (DSD converted to PCM in order for ARC to work).

2 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

DSD converted to PCM in order for ARC to work).

Yeah all mine are pcm multichannel, they sound so good I don't care about testing anything else.

I also have a few bluray audios that I haven't had a chance to check out yet.

I am not sure if I will worry about all the different Arc profiles, sounds line a bit of minefield.

When you get your new dac you should connect to the anthem analog audio in before connecting to your 2 channel system just to see how the anthem goes in pure analog mode.

7 minutes ago, powerav said:

Yeah all mine are pcm multichannel, they sound so good I don't care about testing anything else.

I also have a few bluray audios that I haven't had a chance to check out yet.

I am not sure if I will worry about all the different Arc profiles, sounds line a bit of minefield.

When you get your new dac you should connect to the anthem analog audio in before connecting to your 2 channel system just to see how the anthem goes in pure analog mode.

Blurau audio is also very good. I did a compare of DTS HDMA vs 5.1 PCM with surprising results here:

Generating different Profiles is very easy in ARC and you can test them with various inputs, change them.  By no means a minefield.  Who knows, you may discover something you may like.

My DAC now has only usb out only.  I did try it with my previous DAC (sold it today) and I tried no analog processing then. Have very simple and direct feed from DAC via XLR cables to powered speakers. Adding the MRX-710 complicated the chain big time and affected the sound.  Chain became DAC via RCA cables to MRX-710 via RCA cables to powered speakers.  Did not help when I use moderately priced RCAs (& wasn't keen to spend $$ just for testing). 

16 hours ago, TerryO said:

I reckon you need to get rid of that old Anthem AVR and get a Yamaha RXA 3060/70, they have a Pure Direct Mode and man does it sound good for 2-channel. ... :angel:

cheers Terry

I agree!

8 minutes ago, digitalhome said:

I agree!

Gee whiz you all told me to get a Anthem now you are all telling me to get a Yamaha :ohmy: if the Anthem sells than I would give the Yamaha a go. The lack of fancy room correction in the Yamaha does appeal. Maybe some one can do a swap.

Gee whiz you all told me to get a Anthem now you are all telling me to get a Yamaha :ohmy: if the Anthem sells than I would give the Yamaha a go. The lack of fancy room correction in the Yamaha does appeal. Maybe some one can do a swap.

haha...don't listen! You seem (mostly) happy with the Anthem, now sit back and enjoy the system mate.

1 hour ago, jamiebosco said:

haha...don't listen! You seem (mostly) happy with the Anthem, now sit back and enjoy the system mate.

I agree this site has gotten me into a lot of trouble,  people are very passionate about the products they purchase but hey it's fun trying different stuff.

Ha, it's not just this site (or even just this hobby) Upgraditis is real - and contagious