9 minutes ago, thathifiguy said:

Looks ok to me?

D3D67A6F-CEFD-441B-91D6-1477B7A1AD76.png

0C9ACF01-E37C-4112-8F7C-F99436C9CBFD.png

Thank you.  I have lost track of the USA pricing and did not realise our pricing was reasonable, but UK have gone silly...

Posted (edited)

I ran Genesis a couple of times today.

The level of correction/adjustment varied dramatically with the sub volume.

That doesn't make sense to me, but it happens.

Turn the sub down too much, and everything gets set really low.

Turn the sub back a little, and everything now gets slightly higher than zero.

I suspect if I lowered the sub between these two, then the adjustments of the speakers and sub will be close to zero.

If the level setting for your speakers annoys you as 'too high', lower your sub volume by one click and redo Genesis sweeps - you might get the adjustment you wish to see.

As I said, this sounds bizzare but it seems to make sense to what actually is happening with Genesis.

Benje

PS dialogue is much easier to hear post Genesis.

Edited by Benje

30 minutes ago, Benje said:

If the level setting for your speakers annoys you as 'too high', lower your sub volume by one click and redo Genesis sweeps - you might get the adjustment you wish to see.

Did you do Quick Measure to ensure that the volume setting for all speakers are about the same?   This is one thing that annoyed me with ARC that there was no prompt to set the speaker levels (Dirac Live does this as part of process).

@SubCrawler  noticed in the classifieds that you replaced your Emotiva with an Anthem.   Have you tried ARC Genesis and how does it compare with Dirac Live on the Emotiva?

35 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

@SubCrawler  noticed in the classifieds that you replaced your Emotiva with an Anthem.   Have you tried ARC Genesis and how does it compare with Dirac Live on the Emotiva?

Hi @Snoopy8. I have not tried ARC Genesis yet, but I do plan to this week when I get the unit back from repair (it had a faulty NIC).

However, I can tell you that ARC-2 is fantastic! ...and I believe does a better job than Dirac IMO, especially in the way it deals with low-frequencies and bass management. Although Dirac could really clean up the sound stage and snap everything into place, I felt it tried to do a little too much at the expensive of sounding 'natural' or 'organic' for lack of better terms. Whereas ARC also dials in the sound stage, it also manages to retain a greater sense of naturalness? the music still has air and space, it retains it's 'breath'?? (I hate using these fluffy terms BTW), and the bass is tight, guttural and textured. I don't have the certainty to try to explain why in scientific terms without  fear of being off-base, but I believe ARC just leaves certain things well alone without trying to fool a much more sophisticated human mind... and it pays off!

The quick measure feature in ARC is REAL nice too.... giving the ability to time-align multiple-sub before proceeding with measurement is gold!

I'm looking forward to an upcoming review of ARC from Gene at Audioholics.... I believe he will get to the nuts and bolts of it and why it works so darn well.

Don't get me wrong though, Dirac is great!... when I first ran it I was just as impressed when compared to no correction. I just prefer ARC now that I've been fortunate enough to compare them both. 🙂

@Snoopy8

No, I just applied Genesis to the existing levels I had used for ARC-2.

I had tried to 'level' with ARC-2, but had to reduce the sub with Genesis.

My point is that the db level of the front speakers will vary depending on the strength of the sub.

Your point is valid - if you get a similar db adjustment for the sub and the front speakers (by varying the volume level on the sub) , a reasonable set of volume levels for all speakers should eventuate.

When I used quick measure on arc-2, it gave me a frequency response curve, not the average level it would assume.

I found it wasn't that big an issue to rerun Genesis swoops for all 7.1 speakers.

Benje

On 04/05/2019 at 12:23 PM, kitschcamp said:

Have to say first impressions are that I’m very happy with Genesis. The ability to set the max frequency for correction for each position is good for my setup, and the levels for each position seem to be more in line with what I’d expect. ARC I always had to make a tweak to the levels of the rear surrounds and Atmos to get it right, this got it first time. 

Hmm, I should have spent time playing with it over the weekend... I avoided this thread though as I was doing other projects!!! And I'm pretty happy with the current.

I did find I manually upped levels on rears and overheads on ARC just for preference. I mean I have couch back to deal with.

It would be nice if they could do curve adjustment based on multiple room measurements, but allow level adjustments based on a seating positions only.

Damn it I am so SICK of how garbage the network capabilities are on this device. I have it wired, direct next to the frigging router and I can't get a connection. I'm so sick of it

7 hours ago, Mobe1969 said:

Damn it I am so SICK of how garbage the network capabilities are on this device. I have it wired, direct next to the frigging router and I can't get a connection. I'm so sick of it

I think you may have a fault with the network card, mines been fine and the one time I did have a problem a reset fixed it up fine. Just make sure to save your settings, then reload them ... easy peasy 30 second job

How are you guys going with genesis? Havent had time to try it yet.

Genesis = way better than ARC2, and I was very happy with it. Genesis has even more clarity and seems to have way better bass control/filters 

Genesis = way better than ARC2, and I was very happy with it. Genesis has even more clarity and seems to have way better bass control/filters 

Thats good to know will have to give it a go soon

1 hour ago, warroon said:

Yes I'm looking forward to trying it and you can use it on a Mac I believe so that means I can use it

On 06/05/2019 at 10:15 AM, Snoopy8 said:

On 11/05/2019 at 6:32 PM, franin said:

How are you guys going with genesis? Havent had time to try it yet.

18 hours ago, The Bluesman said:

Yes I'm looking forward to trying it and you can use it on a Mac I believe so that means I can use it

So I've run ARC Genesis, but I haven't worked out how you alter the settings for the different speaker profiles within the software application yet.....meaning that all 4 speaker profiles are at the default 80Hz crossover and the LFE tops out at 120Hz. I'll have to visit Anthem's website to find it I suspect. If anyone knows how to access them please let us know.

Initial impressions are positive though. The bass appears more prominent, but midrange and treble are also improved, so the bass doesn't come at their expense. 

Running Sting's Live At The Olympia as I type and on the whole sounds excellent. Will try a couple of movies over the next few days and report back. 

Thanks will hopefully do it next weekend. Btw are you guys using the beta version ?

1 hour ago, Happy Sacks said:

So I've run ARC Genesis, but I haven't worked out how you alter the settings for the different speaker profiles within the software application yet.....meaning that all 4 speaker profiles are at the default 80Hz crossover and the LFE tops out at 120Hz. I'll have to visit Anthem's website to find it I suspect. If anyone knows how to access them please let us know.

In preferences, need to enable professional setup.  In Step 3, Adjust ARC settings, have screen with 4 profiles which you can enable.  You can adjust settings e.g. crossover etc.  for each profile.