19 hours ago, jomjom said:

I have the AVM 60.
And yes I am considering Atmos,and that will be my next project.
I’m thinking of using four KEF Q50a instead of bouncing it to the cieling I’m going to mount it directly into the cieling.

Or get it professionally done with Atmos speakers with dynabox.

I just don’t know yet which of the two option is the best .

When I was researching, I was building my room from scratch, and I just didn't end up going with in ceiling. After a lifetime hearing how important enclosure design and constructions it to sound reproduction, it seemed antithetical to just stick them in the ceiling. Plus I was insulating every cavity, so I'd need to build baffle boxes or go the dynabox route. Plus the cost of decent in ceiling speakers. So I ended up getting kef q100s (when they were clearing out speakers a year or so back) and mounting them on brackets aimed at the seating position. I've never regretted it. It is hard getting decent brackets though.

So I'd definitely agree with your idea of mounting Kef q50a's on the ceiling. That would work pretty well and neater than the q100s on brackets. The q50 is basically the same speaker as the q100, same driver - just a better enclosure on the 100 - hence the better frequency response from the same speaker. Eg the 100 is 49hz at -3dB where the q50 is 96hz at -6dB (which means at -3dB it is probably looking like 110hZ). Which just proves my initial thoughts on the importance of enclosure on the sound...

You can get the q100s still about the same price too.

Ok thanks.
I’ll get my wife to download and extract for me.

On 02/03/2018 at 12:02 PM, betty boop said:

I understand this is the case, have seen mentioned before,

"If the AVM 60 looks a lot like Anthem’s top A/V receiver—well, essentially, it is a de-amplified edition of the brand’s 11.2-channel MRX 1120 (reviewed last month), at a $500 savings and with all-channels balanced (XLR) preamp outputs where the speaker outputs would otherwise be"

Read more at https://www.soundandvision.com/content/anthem-avm-60-av-processor-review#K1rwLiQ8jemxjGYy.99

If the  AVM 60 is a de-amplified version of the MRX 1120 at a $500 discount, are most people getting the MRX 1120 over the AVM 60?

$500 for a amplifier seems a good buy???

Just now, Serpeant said:

If the  AVM 60 is a de-amplified version of the MRX 1120 at a $500 discount, are most people getting the MRX 1120 over the AVM 60?

sergeant just depends what you are chasing i guess. id personally pick up a rotel 1075 or better 2nd hand for similar money- you wouldn't be able to fit amp like that in an avrs casing. amps have never been more affordable... there is a elektra theatre 7 going for $1200 in classifieds, and a theatre HD went for $2k... these weighs more than AVRs around ! better heat sinking and more gutsy power supply genuine power house with the veritable iron fist in a velvet glove.... and no concerns of power claims or anything there with power reserves on tap.

Dont get me wrong, i have owned AVRs myself even gutsy ones ... also used AVRs as pre processors .... and some including talking about I'd easily recommend in that role. where come in is if say want to still use a gutsy amp for main channels and say the built in for surrounds or heights and such. and there is also the approach of external channels altogether which some take as well. 

many roads ... :)

17 minutes ago, Serpeant said:

The AVM 60 also has a better power supply and better analog circuitry.  The MRX 1120 is a convenient 1 box solution but does compromise on the amplification.  Anthem used to publish the power output when driving 5 channels, but sadly now hide behind the misleading power when only 2 channels are driven.  

If you want a better HT experience, then AVM 60 + multi channel power amplifier is the way to go.  However, the MRX 1120 is a good compromise when space, WAF etc..  needs to be considered

1 hour ago, Snoopy8 said:

The AVM 60 also has a better power supply and better analog circuitry.  The MRX 1120 is a convenient 1 box solution but does compromise on the amplification.  Anthem used to publish the power output when driving 5 channels, but sadly now hide behind the misleading power when only 2 channels are driven.  

If you want a better HT experience, then AVM 60 + multi channel power amplifier is the way to go.  However, the MRX 1120 is a good compromise when space, WAF etc..  needs to be considered

Thanks for your ideas, betty and snoopy.

I've always thought that separate pre and power are better but when you look at the MRX 1120 vs AVM 60. Similar price and very similar components, but you have to spend another $3k+ to get a reasonable power amp if you got the AVM 60.

I have power hungry Krix speakers but fortunately, I still have my Emotiva XPA-5 Gen I (which I bought for < $1000 in the good old days). However, this solution, I will lose by 7.1 setup and have a 5.1 instead. This is why the dilemma to get the MRX 1120.

On 31/03/2019 at 11:43 AM, Serpeant said:

I have power hungry Krix speakers but fortunately, I still have my Emotiva XPA-5 Gen I (which I bought for < $1000 in the good old days). However, this solution, I will lose by 7.1 setup and have a 5.1 instead. This is why the dilemma to get the MRX 1120.

Why not get a 2 channel power amp?

Just in case you are interested...

Still waiting for ARC Genesis to come online 

Yeah, I'm interested to see what the Arc genesis is like. Not that I have any issues with the current arc!

On the AVM60 vs 1120, I have the 1120, and have no complaints. My HT room isn't that large. My speakers are all kef Q series, with 4x 900's plus others. 

An all in one is just easier and if you don't already have the 11 channel amp to spare or want to have a stack of X channel amps.

Plus I never really figured how you control the volume with a pre  / post amp. Do you lock the amp at a fixed volume? Max volume? Or what?

From the Anthem FB page:

Our Software engineers are feverishly working on the final testing of ARC GENESIS! Be sure to keep checking anthemav.com this Friday, as the link will be ready to download this next level in advanced room correction software!

Same its up and running whoo hoo

On 14/04/2019 at 12:51 AM, franin said:

Still waiting for ARC Genesis to come online 

ARC Genesis has landed @franin & @Snoopy8

Something to play with over the weekend.