10 hours ago, powerav said:

Sound wise I find it to have much more detail than previous AVR's but one big downfall is no dual bass EQ, compared to a Denon 4300 or Integra models the bass is pretty much non existent except for those big movie moments like explosions and stuff, much more noticeable on music concerts where detail is better but the fun factor is gone from having dual subs. Looks like I'll have to muck around with these MiniDSP things, for a premium product you shouldn't have to.

Is there a way of having subwoofers activated for 2 channel music?

I'm a little perplexed here. Are you saying that even with the mains crossed over at say 80hz, that in stereo mode there is no output from the subwoofers?

9 minutes ago, digitalhome said:

I'm a little perplexed here. Are you saying that even with the mains crossed over at say 80hz, that in stereo mode there is no output from the subwoofers?

There are various modes. You can have 2.0, 2.x, 5.x. But if using crossover, defaults to using subs.

5 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

There are various modes. You can have 2.0, 2.x, 5.x. But if using crossover, defaults to using subs.

Yes I know, but my question was in relation to Power AV's findings.

5 hours ago, digitalhome said:

No that is all good now, it improved when ARC was turned off.

4 hours ago, Dokken said:

Perhaps the Marantz 6012 may have been a better choice then!?!

Not sure, the only benefit that has is the Sub eq, I will still have to turn Audyssey off. 

7 hours ago, Hi-Fi Whipped said:

@POWER AV

is is it wrong I had a little chuckle when I read your findings, we all knew it was coming!

This isn't about me but i gave up on room eq a couple of years ago simply applying the theory of the purest untouched signal is the best, something a lot of 2ch experts preach. I don't have the perfect room but lots of plush soft furnishings and carpet help I'm sure. I don't even need to add bass and treble tweakings.

i must say it's been a game changer for me by making changes to speaker positioning etc. but I do have one of those dspeaker sub eq thingys you speak of as I reckon the sub bass is the critical signal to get right, let the upper frequencies sing  I say!

the CA 751r has been the component to seal my theory, the dynamics this thing has is insane for 2ch and surround, I've never heard sound this good from anything I've owned.

But no room eq isn't for everyone and it's got to the point where for me ignorance is bliss.

in your case, I wouldn't throw the baby out with the bath water just yet, reckon I've said it before but look at it as a bonus that you can either use or not, if it sounds good with eq just keep it off. Plus I'm sure there's plenty you can do to improve it if you can be buggered too, it's a cracking reciever from all reports so maybe just have some patience man!

YES, YES and YES to everything you have said.

The CA 651r and the Integra's without Audyssey were the best for me.

I remember when I had the Integrated Amp set up with HT bypass all in same room of course. The Integrated sounded superb against the Denon 4300 but that had audyssey on when I sold that and got a Integra 30.5 there was little difference. Integrated stereo amps don't have any type of room correction.

Now the Anthem with ARC of in stereo mode is just like an integrated amp and a very good one.

All I really need is a mini dsp thingy for the dual subs now and I should be right.

I think all this room correction stuff is like some religious cult as soon as you speak out against it you get people either coming out and supporting or trying to shut you down.:)

Edited by powerav

30 minutes ago, JSmith said:

:lol: touché. That is one in about 20,000 ever made! (You'll probably find more now :)). I won't be buying that.

seriously though surely what you put in is exactly what you want out, why do you want to fiddle around with processing.

3 minutes ago, powerav said:

touché

:D Sorry, didn't mean it that way, was actually just looking into this the last few weeks as a new option.

There seems to be a few here and there now... but generally as you say usually don't have RC.

JSmith :ninja:

Some more entertainment for you all :popcorn:

Did a complete factory reset of the Anthem, set up subs as best I could as per the guide @Snoopy8 linked, thank you. Re did ARC and i noticed that the curves were much flatter than last time. I also just tried to measure in a 1 to 1.5 Metre radius only. I think this is what did it rather than try to cover a large area, I think.

Anyway fired everything up played just 30 secs of my test pieces. The Police certifiable - Wow that Bass on this one was back in a back in a big way. Billy Joel At Shea Stadium just the first minute and you'll know if it's right and it was. Then on to SACD 5.1 Dire Straits BIA - Your Latest Trick, yep that's the best i have heard that and so on.

I am even leaving ARC on for everything.

2 Channel music, as we all know this is always hard to get right as all recordings are so different, I actually like it with Anthem Logic Music, the stays in the Left and Right channels. Need a lot more listening to evaluate that but positive so far.

3 hours ago, powerav said:

Did a complete factory reset of the Anthem, set up subs as best I could as per the guide @Snoopy8 linked, thank you. Re did ARC and i noticed that the curves were much flatter than last time. I also just tried to measure in a 1 to 1.5 Metre radius only. I think this is what did it rather than try to cover a large area, I think.

Anyway fired everything up played just 30 secs of my test pieces. The Police certifiable - Wow that Bass on this one was back in a back in a big way. Billy Joel At Shea Stadium just the first minute and you'll know if it's right and it was. Then on to SACD 5.1 Dire Straits BIA - Your Latest Trick, yep that's the best i have heard that and so on.

I am even leaving ARC on for everything.

I suspect that your 2 subs was out of phase to one another and had slightly different volumes.  With properly integrated subs, ARC does a fantastic job as you have discovered.  Glad this saga has turned up ok.

4 hours ago, powerav said:

2 Channel music, as we all know this is always hard to get right as all recordings are so different, I actually like it with Anthem Logic Music, the stays in the Left and Right channels.

Anthem Logic Music and Cinema are both good.  They seem to sound more natural.

@Snoopy8 is there a pure direct mode just so I can compare or is pure direct just as simple as mode set to none and Arc turned off?

22 minutes ago, powerav said:

@Snoopy8 is there a pure direct mode just so I can compare or is pure direct just as simple as mode set to none and Arc turned off?

In the Anthem menu, set Process Analog Audio Input to No, which will bypass digital conversion and signal processing.

4 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

In the Anthem menu, set Process Analog Audio Input to No, which will bypass digital conversion and signal processing.

Ok that is only if using an analog input, no direct mode on digital inputs like other Avr's.

looks like I need to get a Dac now to try it out.

Hi all, ad me to the MRX720 and the Integrated 225 club, I'm not an Anthem fan boy but have both of these and think they are great, Anthem make good Amplifiers 

Finally managed to watch a movie today, Spectre.
Wow, I have never heard my system sound so good. Now it motivates me to go 7.1 even more now, currently 5.1

Sent from my R7sf using Tapatalk

32 minutes ago, 2LOUD2OLD said:

Finally managed to watch a movie today, Spectre.
Wow, I have never heard my system sound so good. Now it motivates me to go 7.1 even more now, currently 5.1

So you have set it up with the ARC software?? mine sounds great for movies but I'm more about the music and my 720 impresses me on 2 channel when I get the chance to use the lounge room and that isn't often with teenagers and wives etc, that's why I have a few systems 

So you have set it up with the ARC software?? mine sounds great for movies but I'm more about the music and my 720 impresses me on 2 channel when I get the chance to use the lounge room and that isn't often with teenagers and wives etc, that's why I have a few systems 
Yes, using ARC.
I have a 2 channel Bel Canto amp I use for music as well as HT bypass to run front speakers

3 minutes ago, The Bluesman said:

my 720 impresses me on 2 channel

How are you using for 2 channel ie CD player/streamer into digital or analog inuputs?

9 minutes ago, powerav said:

How are you using for 2 channel ie CD player/streamer into digital or analog inuputs?

Turntable via a phono stage into the analog input and the beaut Play-fi app that works with the 720 that taps into my NAS drive, works faultlessly and very easy to use, the DACs in the 720 seem to work great as well, very happy with this allrounder as it keeps the family happy and me with the music when I get the chance 

I haven't had a good chance to really test play fi yet, from what I've seen looks pretty good.

Need to get kids off Xbox:angry:.

I need a good week by myself, might be worth sending the kids and missus on a holida:thumb:

I am going to have to get 2 separate sources, one for movies and one for Music.

Will keep HTPC for music of all types, video concerts, surround music and 2 channel music and probably a Nvidia shield or similar for movies.

Music of all types is still far better including 5.1 music concerts with ARC OFF. Movies are better with ARC On so currently with all content on the one device (HTPC) it's too much of a pain having to keep on turning Arc on and off, exactly the same thing with Audyssey.

28 minutes ago, powerav said:

I am going to have to get 2 separate sources, one for movies and one for Music.

Will keep HTPC for music of all types, video concerts, surround music and 2 channel music and probably a Nvidia shield or similar for movies.

Music of all types is still far better including 5.1 music concerts with ARC OFF. Movies are better with ARC On so currently with all content on the one device (HTPC) it's too much of a pain having to keep on turning Arc on and off, exactly the same thing with Audyssey.

So is the Anthem back up for sale yet? ... ;)

cheers Terry

Edited by TerryO