I use a P5 with a 1120 in Atmos config. Centre and surrounds powered by P5. Main speakers use HT bypass and is powered by my main 2 channel power amp. The 1120 power the Atmos speakers. I had the 1120 for some time before a 2nd hand P5 came up for sale. The P5 significantly lifted performance of the whole system over just using the stand alone 1120 config. with HT bypass. Naturally depends on the speakers you are using.

15 hours ago, OzJustin said:

Hi Benje

Did you notice the same sonic signature between the MRX720 inbuilt amp and the MCA50? What is the main difference for you? I’m very curious on this one. :) 

I'll answer the question in a different way.

Buying the MCA50 to replace the denon X4000 receiver's amps was a very good buy.

Subsequently replacing the Denon with an MRX720 - if I had the MRX720 before I had the MCA50, I would not have been in a rush to get the MCA50.

As I mentioned, my speakers aren't hard to drive (and I use powered subs below 80 hz), and my room is fairly bright so the db level and resulting amp power required isn't high.

I must say that Anthem do make it easy to integrate their amps with other receivers/pre-amps - the automatic on/off of the amp without needing triggers is really good and simple.

Your choice is what to do with the $3,000 or so that the new amplifier will cost.  Is it best spent on that, on subs, on room treatment or on your mortgage/credit card.  Perhaps you can 'borrow' an amp to try with your combination.

Howdy Anthem Amigos,

Wondering if anyone on here has experience going from the AVM50V3D to the AVM60? Is one better than the other sonically? I have just gone 4K and am looking at the options to split audio out and keep the old AVM50, or just upgrade to the AVM60. Just concerned that I may be taking a step back in quality, but really have nothing to base that concern on.

Appreciate any input.

Dan.

Hi Dan,
I have the same AVM50v3D.
I run my Oppo UDP-205 analogue audio outputs to the AVM, then run it in AnlgDir mode, so it's simply a 'switcher'
And 4k HDMI out of my Oppo to the PJ for video.
But if you want to run ARC you'll need to run the Anthem in a DSP setting.

So I let my better source do the decoding (Oppo) being that it's newer, and don't invoke any converting by the Anthem so those DACs don't degrade the signal quality.

Open to hear input from others here.

Howdy Anthem Amigos,
Wondering if anyone on here has experience going from the AVM50V3D to the AVM60? Is one better than the other sonically? I have just gone 4K and am looking at the options to split audio out and keep the old AVM50, or just upgrade to the AVM60. Just concerned that I may be taking a step back in quality, but really have nothing to base that concern on.

Appreciate any input.

Dan.

@IXXI The AVM60 is very different to the AVM50 and caused a lot of angst among AVM50 owners when it was announced . Particularly the use of more printed circuits, the lack of upgrade kits and it looked like the MRX AVR range. Plus it was cheaper (so it cannot be as good!).

Note that the AVM60 does not do video processing so you will need an Oppo or Panasonic 4K player or external video processor.

Sonically, the AVM50 was better built but it is getting old. I can definitely say Anthem Genesis (ARC 3) on AVM60 is better than ARC 1 on AVM50. I suspect this puts the AVM60 sightly ahead sonically but am open to challenge.

The other thing to consider is connectivity, with the AVM60 having more HDMI ports but the AVM50 better legacy connections.

Dan ; if you have any interest in the new object audio codecs that should persuade you  ; as well as the upgraded ARC genesis that Snoopy said . Another thought is the 50v3's hdmi 1.4 inputs may not be especially compatible with a hdmi2.0a input [even though their supposed to be ] even if you want to feed audio only .

Brands like Storm and Emotiva have switchable 1.4/2.0 hdcp in the menus to help edid comms if things don't talk properly together ^_^ 4K bandwidths are much harder to pass well compared to 2k so best to check compatibility ..

Thanks for all the advice,

I just picked up an Oppo UDP-203 yesterday and it has a HDMI 1.4 output for audio only and then a HDMI 2 for video so I am hoping that will resolve my backwards compatibility issues. I think I will run with that setup for a while (and let the wife cool down) before I look to upgrade the processor. I am also tempted by the new Emotiva XMC-2, so I will just sit back for a while and think about my options.

As a side note, for those with the Oppo UDP-20X players, have you experienced any issues playing large 4K remuxes from a NAS? I was watching a review last night that indicated issues with this. Could be a problem for me if that is the case. Guess I will find out soon enough once mine is delivered early next week.

6 hours ago, IXXI said:

I am also tempted by the new Emotiva XMC-2, so I will just sit back for a while and think about my options.

Apart from the current trade in offer a few more features have been added ;)

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/3090874-16-channel-prepros-5000-less-4.html#post58602740

23 hours ago, IXXI said:

As a side note, for those with the Oppo UDP-20X players, have you experienced any issues playing large 4K remuxes from a NAS? I was watching a review last night that indicated issues with this. Could be a problem for me if that is the case. Guess I will find out soon enough once mine is delivered early next week.

Should you find any issues with the Oppo 203, best to start a new topic.  Not sure how many Oppo 20x owners read this particular thread...

I hate to sound like an objectivist curmudgeon (although I am one), but I have owned an MRX300, MRX700, AVM50, and now an MRX520. I've used them alone, and with power amps ranging from Krell to Rotel.

The only time I noticed a difference was when I had inefficient Maggies, and Apogee Duetta ribbon speakers.

There has been no difference in sound quality on any sensible speaker ranging from PMC and GoldenEar to my current supposedly hard to drive KEFs.

Even with the Apogees (which are infamous for being both inefficient and for dropping below 2 ohms) the MRX700 sounded just fine until it ran out of gas.

Other receivers (and I'm talking about you, Yamaha) shut down.

I've also flirted with other pre-amps/pre-pros and receivers and the only noticeable difference in sound quality has been the use of ARC versus no EQ or crappy EQ.

ARC Genesis (despite its quirks) is a considerable step ahead again.

If your receiver can drive your speakers to the levels you want, adding a power amp won't make a difference.

Spend the money on better speakers.

Edited by sfdoddsy

4 minutes ago, sfdoddsy said:

I hate to sound like an objectivist curmudgeon (although I am one), but I have owned an MRX300, MRX700, AVM50, and now an MRX520. I've used them alone, and with power amps ranging from Krell to Rotel.

The only time I noticed a difference was when I had inefficient Maggies, and Apogee Duetta ribbon speakers, (which dip down to 2ohms).

Ther e has been no difference in sound quality on any sensible speaker.

The big difference inn sound quality has been the use of ARC.

And ARC Genesis (despite its quirks) is a considerable step ahead.

If your receiver can drive your speakers to the levels you want, adding a power amp won't make a difference.

Spend the money on better speakers.

Great feedback, thanks for posting.

Posted (edited)

https://www.stereo.net.au/news/anthems-trade-in-offer-ensures-youre-up-with-the-latest-cinema-tech 

Last day today on trade in deal.

MRX520 $400 off ($1699)

MRX720 $650 off ($3249)

MRX1120 $1000 off ($4299)

AVM60 $1500 off (3499)

I'm not sure if it includes the Power Amps like the MCA 525 which were in included in last year's sale for $3999.

Edited by Serpeant

On 05/01/2020 at 11:57 AM, Serpeant said:

https://www.stereo.net.au/news/anthems-trade-in-offer-ensures-youre-up-with-the-latest-cinema-tech 

Last day today on trade in deal.

MRX520 $400 off ($1699)

MRX720 $650 off ($3249)

MRX1120 $1000 off ($4299)

AVM60 $1500 off (3499)

I'm not sure if it includes the Power Amps like the MCA 525 which were in included in last year's sale for $3999.

Made the most of this offer and traded in an old (not working) Onkyo amp and then sold my Yamaha 3060 to get a great price on an 1120.

So far I have been impressed.  I will have plenty of questions along the way to annoy you all.  First question relates to the remote. I have downloaded the app and am able to manage the change from "normal" to "Dolby Surround" etc, but can't seem to find a button on the remote that will allow ease of this switching. I know I'm probably staring at it, but any help appreciated.

Hi all, still loving my MRX720 and have only just upgraded the firmware and run Genesis so I have taken a new interest in my AV system, anyway have any of you lot done or tried an AV bypass, I was thinking about a power amplifier to get the full 11 channels but now thinking about doing a bypass with a 2 channel integrated as I love my 2 channel Sterio etc and where the AV system is set up would make a great listening room, I have 2 systems and only really use the MRX for Television and movies, family uses it more than me

I would gain an extra 2 channels by doing this for a 9 channel Atmos system but more importantly  I'd have another room for my passion for Vinyl and better 2 channel than what the MRX can do, this setup would tick lots of boxes so any advice would be much appreciated 

Just to add to the Avm50 vs avm60 discussion, I resisted for a long time but the benefits of the new arc genesis calibration were immediately sonically noticeable on my m&k system with external power amps. The ability to run atmos will be useful one day too. I have been bypassing the video of both the 50 and 60 so don’t miss that part of it.

@The Bluesman

the amps in the MRX720 cannot be reassigned to other channels.

the better 5 amps are for the first 5 channels (L, C, R LS and RS).

the lesser 2 amps can be assigned as rears or as atmos effects.

Nothing wrong with running a stereo amp for your front two channels though, it just won't free up two channels (unless you shift the connections of the stereo amp to the 8 and 9 channel pre-out).

Benje

20 hours ago, Benje said:

@The Bluesman

the amps in the MRX720 cannot be reassigned to other channels.

the better 5 amps are for the first 5 channels (L, C, R LS and RS).

the lesser 2 amps can be assigned as rears or as atmos effects.

Nothing wrong with running a stereo amp for your front two channels though, it just won't free up two channels (unless you shift the connections of the stereo amp to the 8 and 9 channel pre-out).

Benje

I was under the impression that you can pre out the main speaker channel into a power amp or in my case a 2 channel integrated with a AV Bypass switch so I can use the Intergrated for 2 channel then use the 720 for a 9 channel setup with using the integrated as a 2 channel power amp!!

@The Bluesman

I can't quite follow what you are trying to do.

I power my speakers with a separate 5 channel power amp (anthem) using the RCA pre-outs.

I use the 2 lesser amps in the MRX720 to power a couple of smaller rear/ceiling speakers.

Are you planning on using two different sets of speakers - a stereo pair (via the separate power/integrated amp) and a theatre set (via the anthem amps).

21 minutes ago, Benje said:

@The Bluesman

I can't quite follow what you are trying to do.

I power my speakers with a separate 5 channel power amp (anthem) using the RCA pre-outs.

I use the 2 lesser amps in the MRX720 to power a couple of smaller rear/ceiling speakers.

Are you planning on using two different sets of speakers - a stereo pair (via the separate power/integrated amp) and a theatre set (via the anthem amps).

Did you know you can use your MRX720 as an 11 channel set up now you have a seperate power amp, with doing what I want to do I can have a 9 channel setup just by adding a 2 channel integrated then have a 2 channel setup just by flicking a switch on the integrated amp, best of both worlds in the same room

22 minutes ago, The Bluesman said:

Did you know you can use your MRX720 as an 11 channel set up now you have a seperate power amp, with doing what I want to do I can have a 9 channel setup just by adding a 2 channel integrated then have a 2 channel setup just by flicking a switch on the integrated amp, best of both worlds in the same room

I think the issue here is that you can't assign the L/R amps to any other role, so even if you use the L/R pre-outs to a stereo amp, you still only have 7 channels of amplification.

Edited by sakabatou
fat fingers

They have a beta firmware now! And so far so good. I'm getting DTS-X for the North American Fast and Furious 6. I'll test 7 and the Euro/Aus pressings next (they are different).

Ok, overrated them all.

Fast 6 North American and Euro releases both play DTS-X no issues.
Fast 7 NA and Euro play DTS-X, but there is an audio dropout at 24:15, repeatable.

Space Station UHD plays showing "IMAX DTS:X" 

Edited by Mobe1969

Finally took the opportunity today to calibrate my set-up with the AVM 50v at 00dB for reference level. 

Previously I'd level calibrated for 75dB for all channels but the main volume sat anywhere from low -30's to -21dB or so. 

Wow. Such a difference having it sit fully open at 00dB. I'll have to read more into why this is... Is following a traditional analogue signal path of unity gain and therefore no resistance on the signal at level? 

🤔 

Anyway, super clear low mids and crispy mids on vocals. Mad Max absolutely rips with dynamics & motorbikes in some of those scenes come so alive! Sound stage feels opened up in a big way.. 

Also positively proved to me I have a tonne of headroom in my theatre.. Had to wind speakers back 15dB of level trim on each channel and still at 00dB volume pink noise is about 77dB..  😬 😁

Anyway, that meant a super awesome gain for only some time and fun!! 

Be curious to hear other people's thoughts on how /why this would affect the tone so notably

Just looking for inputs from fellow Anthem owners. I have a 720 matched with a MCA30. I'm considering a .4 ATMOS setup. My preference is not to increase the number of boxes/equipment in my AV cabinet. So I'm considering either changing the MCA30 to a 5 channel amp OR changing the MRX720 to say the MRX1120. 

I'm learning towards the power amp upgrade option - the longevity there is what's driving me mainly. Thoughts?

And what power amp would be recommended? Ideally, I don't want to have less than 225W for the LCRs. Thank you in advance.