So it wasn't just me that felt the levels are better with Genesis. I had previously done the same, and had to bump them as well, but not now.

Yep. Definite improvement. Even my kids (7 and 5) have noticed the difference. Definitely makes me feel better about the time in the ceiling putting the atmos speakers in :):):).

Genesis is great, I was considering selling it at one point but im glad I didnt. Who knows what other updated features will be added to Genesis.

Hey guys.

Im about to run Genisis for the second time.

First run i did a week ago. 

I followed some suggestions from the anthem website.

• WHENEVER POSSIBLE, vary the mic height for the 2nd through 5th positions, with two measurements being 6 to 12-inches below the 1st position and the other two measurements 6 to 12-inches above the height of the 1st position. This method provides ARC with a more three-dimensional view of the room and its acoustic signature.

Do you guys do this when adjusting the mic? 6 inches below then 6 inches above?

I tried it last week. Sounded off. My centre channel sounded overly loud . and even my mains didnt sound as good . 

How do you gys position your mic ?

with one 3 seater , i do an X . 

First the centre , then right side back , then left side back , then right side front then left side front

3 minutes ago, Isaac Otaiza said:

How do you gys position your mic ?

with one 3 seater , i do an X . 

First the centre , then right side back , then left side back , then right side front then left side front

We did the standard 5 measurements because we did not have a lot of time.  It sounded good with 5. 

Usually more measurements will give you a better average.  For example, Dirac Live takes 17 measurements, starting with the main listening position and then a rectangular box of four in front at 2 heights and four behind at 2 heights.  I suspect something went wrong in your measurements which led to errors.

Interesting.  I only have a 3 seater lounge. So 5 positions has being enough. I might try doing more. Problem is you need to space each position by 2 feet from memory.  That makes it hard to find new positions. 

My previous runs have being spot on. Really good sound.

The problem is either , raising the mic 6 inches and lowering it 6 inches as recommended or im thinking it could be the acoustic foam i placed over one side in a 2m x 2m area. Ill do another run today with more positions. If no change ill remove the acoustic foam .

One more question.

Ive noticed ARC sets all my channel levels at 80dB ?

Thats according to REW SPL meter w/  a calibrated Umik

Shouldnt ARC set all levels to 75dB? 

ie 30 dB less than reference level (105dB) is 75dB 

Did 8 Mic positions. 

all 60cm apart

Position 2 and 3 i had the mic 6 inches below the 1st position

Position 4 and 5 i had the mic 6 inches above the 1st positon

Im watching dumbo tonight so hopefully it sounds amazing !

If you get a chance have a look at the attached pdf let me know what you think of the results

A few peaks with my surrounds in the mid to upper freq. But theyve always being there. I think its the room

Sub has a peak after 500hz but it rolls off way before that anyway

25thJune2019Calibration8MicPositionsRearPanels.pdf

3 hours ago, Isaac Otaiza said:

One more question.

Ive noticed ARC sets all my channel levels at 80dB ?

Thats according to REW SPL meter w/  a calibrated Umik

Shouldnt ARC set all levels to 75dB? 

ie 30 dB less than reference level (105dB) is 75dB 

Not sure it matters? If you are really concerned, you can lower it in step 3

I've searched the thread but didn't have much luck

Has anyone upgraded to this unit from an Marantz 7702MK2? if so was it worth it? 

Have bit of the upgrade bug :)

59 minutes ago, chipy2k said:

I've searched the thread but didn't have much luck

Has anyone upgraded to this unit from an Marantz 7702MK2? if so was it worth it? 

Have bit of the upgrade bug :)

You should be looking at the AVM60.  The main difference is room correction software, see this thread (a bit old, still relevant).  The best is Dirac Live and Anthem Room Correction (ARC).  Audyssey is ok for movies but not music.  ARC's latest version is even better than what was mentioned in the review.

Thanks Snoopy, might leave it for the time being and get a separate pre-amp for music then 

Hi All,

I am looking at getting an MRX520 (possibly second hand if I can) to upgrade my old yamaha. I just bought a second small SVS sub, so I would be looking at running it 3.2 for tv and movies, 2.2 for music, supplied by a nvidia shield (as a roon endpoint for music too). I had been looking at other receivers, but the anthem emphasis on DAC/amplifier quality for music is really appealing (as is ARC). A few questions for the knowledgeable posters, having read the thread but not finding exact answers;

• After a music/movies one-size-fits all compromise, with bias towards music, am I on the right track?
  • Does the new Genesis handle subs individually, or do you still have to pre-balance? I can only find 'Set up bass management' on the whats new features.
  • Given I am running 3.2, can I bi-amp the L-R speakers with the remaining 2 outputs? A quick look of the downloaded manual didn't mention it specifically. Lastly...
  • Would there be any point/gain in doing the above? :) I do it with the Yamaha because the individual amp channels are a bit weak, but b*ggered if i can hear a tangible difference beyond volume.

Thanks for your input if you have any!

Edited by DrDardis

BTW, with the full set of Fast & Furious movies now being available on UHD, I went and watched them end to end. I've an 1120 with latest official firmware (1.4.095), and Fast 6 and Fast 7 are not showing DTS:X HR, Just DTS HR 7.1. These are the North American releases. The Australian (and probably Euro) release seems to be even more of a faulty disc in that BDInfo doesn't show DTSX, just 7.1. I've got both regions discs. The US versions show DTSX HRA in BDInfo. 

I guess the problem was never fixed in the Anthem.

I've contacted Anthem, but am surprised it is broken still.

Here are links from Onkyo and Denon on the specific problem:

https://www.de.onkyo.com/faq/index.php?action=artikel&cat=4&id=506&artlang=en

https://denon.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5674/~/dts%3Ax-issues-with-blu-ray-disc-titles-fast-and-furious-6-and-furious-7

I'm surprised it wasn't fixed in Anthem. I hope they can get it sorted. My uninterrupted run is well and truly broken. The discs are an utter mess from the perspective of probably being the only two discs ever with constant bitrate DTS  HRA.

On top of that, for Fast 6, the extended cut has the DTS-HRA track HIDDEN so you need to rebuild it to listen to it. The only track available from the menu is the lossy DTS5.1. But it has a full DTSX HRA track - hidden

On 12/07/2019 at 10:55 AM, Mobe1969 said:

BTW, with the full set of Fast & Furious movies now being available on UHD, I went and watched them end to end. I've an 1120 with latest official firmware (1.4.095), and Fast 6 and Fast 7 are not showing DTS:X HR, Just DTS HR 7.1. These are the North American releases. The Australian (and probably Euro) release seems to be even more of a faulty disc in that BDInfo doesn't show DTSX, just 7.1. I've got both regions discs. The US versions show DTSX HRA in BDInfo. 

I guess the problem was never fixed in the Anthem.

I've contacted Anthem, but am surprised it is broken still.

Here are links from Onkyo and Denon on the specific problem:

https://www.de.onkyo.com/faq/index.php?action=artikel&cat=4&id=506&artlang=en

https://denon.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5674/~/dts%3Ax-issues-with-blu-ray-disc-titles-fast-and-furious-6-and-furious-7

I'm surprised it wasn't fixed in Anthem. I hope they can get it sorted. My uninterrupted run is well and truly broken. The discs are an utter mess from the perspective of probably being the only two discs ever with constant bitrate DTS  HRA.

On top of that, for Fast 6, the extended cut has the DTS-HRA track HIDDEN so you need to rebuild it to listen to it. The only track available from the menu is the lossy DTS5.1. But it has a full DTSX HRA track - hidden

Given that the issue is not unique to Anthem did it ever occur to you that perhaps the problem lies with Universal??? I've got plenty of other discs from Universal with a DTS:X soundtrack that work flawlessly so I suspect the issue is with the disc.

I've sent a message off to Universal support, so lets see what they come back with.

On 17/07/2019 at 10:59 PM, Happy Sacks said:

Given that the issue is not unique to Anthem did it ever occur to you that perhaps the problem lies with Universal??? I've got plenty of other discs from Universal with a DTS:X soundtrack that work flawlessly so I suspect the issue is with the disc.

I've sent a message off to Universal support, so lets see what they come back with.

The problem is on all sides. Universal from the perspective of using constant bitrate DTS HRA which no-one uses, rather than VBR Master Audio. And for the NA release it being , and also the Aussie version not being flagged correctly as x HRA. And anthem for not supporting dtsx with HRA. Onkyo release a firmware update to handle this issue. Anthem hasn't. Marantz and Denon have.

I finally heard back from Anthem and they are looking at it, but no ETA.

The fact they are DTS High Res Audio is the root of the issue. Only an idiot would encode with that. The size and constant bitrate they are is as big a file as it would be if it was lossless variable bitrate. No one with half a brain uses DTS HRA, even with Blu Rays. So I guess AVR makers don't bother testing it properly.

Edited by Mobe1969

Hello, MRX 310 owner here.  I am pleased with the sound from my anthem which is paired with Dynaudio x18s (4 ohm / 86db) for the front L and R of my 5.1 system.  However, I have upgradeitis and have been wondering about ways I might be able to make music sound even better. 

I was recently advised by a friendly forum member that stereo performance might be improved by adding an integrated amp.   I am just tinkering, and perhaps I should quit while I am ahead as I do like the sound I get now, but then I wonder how much better it could be. I streaming Tidal through chromecast audio, which I find sounds fuller and richer than Spotify premium.

To put it simply, my question is whether my speakers will benefit from an integrated over my 310, which is the lowest powered unit.  I am not trying to make music louder, just improve quality.  That said, when I watch movies the volume is sometimes right up in the 0 -10 range, so maybe I do need more power.  I have experimented with speaker positioning and found it makes a noticeable difference - just crossing that off the list of possible improvements.

On 21/07/2019 at 3:52 PM, Mobe1969 said:

The problem is on all sides. Universal from the perspective of using constant bitrate DTS HRA which no-one uses, rather than VBR Master Audio. And for the NA release it being , and also the Aussie version not being flagged correctly as x HRA. And anthem for not supporting dtsx with HRA. Onkyo release a firmware update to handle this issue. Anthem hasn't. Marantz and Denon have.

I finally heard back from Anthem and they are looking at it, but no ETA.

The fact they are DTS High Res Audio is the root of the issue. Only an idiot would encode with that. The size and constant bitrate they are is as big a file as it would be if it was lossless variable bitrate. No one with half a brain uses DTS HRA, even with Blu Rays. So I guess AVR makers don't bother testing it properly.

FYI, I never got the time of day back from Universal. Surprise, surprise.

On 14/08/2019 at 3:24 PM, Tommy_tucker said:

Hello, MRX 310 owner here.  I am pleased with the sound from my anthem which is paired with Dynaudio x18s (4 ohm / 86db) for the front L and R of my 5.1 system.  However, I have upgradeitis and have been wondering about ways I might be able to make music sound even better. 

I was recently advised by a friendly forum member that stereo performance might be improved by adding an integrated amp.   I am just tinkering, and perhaps I should quit while I am ahead as I do like the sound I get now, but then I wonder how much better it could be. I streaming Tidal through chromecast audio, which I find sounds fuller and richer than Spotify premium.

To put it simply, my question is whether my speakers will benefit from an integrated over my 310, which is the lowest powered unit.  I am not trying to make music louder, just improve quality.  That said, when I watch movies the volume is sometimes right up in the 0 -10 range, so maybe I do need more power.  I have experimented with speaker positioning and found it makes a noticeable difference - just crossing that off the list of possible improvements.

Think you'd get much better bang for your buck by getting an Elektra multi-channel power amp. Some genuine current and real wattage never goes astray. You won't know yourself.....and nor will your speakers. You'll also wonder wtf you didn't do it earlier.

2 hours ago, Happy Sacks said:

Think you'd get much better bang for your buck by getting an Elektra multi-channel power amp. Some genuine current and real wattage never goes astray. You won't know yourself.....and nor will your speakers. You'll also wonder wtf you didn't do it earlier.

Interesting - but this wouldn't bring any improvement to the pre amp stage, do you think the mrx's pre is good enough already?

On 27/06/2019 at 1:32 PM, DrDardis said:

• After a music/movies one-size-fits all compromise, with bias towards music, am I on the right track?
  • Does the new Genesis handle subs individually, or do you still have to pre-balance? I can only find 'Set up bass management' on the whats new features.
  • Given I am running 3.2, can I bi-amp the L-R speakers with the remaining 2 outputs? A quick look of the downloaded manual didn't mention it specifically. Lastly...

If you have space for only 1 box, than the Anthem is a good compromise for music. However if you are really into music then you should have an Integrated amp for music.

Genesis treats the sub as one. For 2 subs, you need to, at a minimum, adjust volume and phase of the subs.

I think you cannot do bi amp.

On 14/08/2019 at 8:24 AM, Tommy_tucker said:

If you listen to a lot of music, an Integrated with HT bypass is the way to go..

19 hours ago, Snoopy8 said:

If you listen to a lot of music, an Integrated with HT bypass is the way to go..

Thanks Snoopy, thats what it boils down to I suppose.  So for movies I might get better bang per buck from a multichannel elektra, as suggested by Happy Sacks, but for music I would be better off with an integrated.

If I put in an integrated amp does all the AVR's power that is saved from the L&R channels end up being rerouted to the centre and surrounds, or is it not that simple?  My surrounds are small satellites, so I would hope most of the power would be thrown into the centre channel where it is needed most.  Or does each channel have an allocated power limit somehow.  

On 16/08/2019 at 5:12 PM, Happy Sacks said:

FYI, I never got the time of day back from Universal. Surprise, surprise.

Not much they can do about it other than remastering with MA rather than HRA. Which I wish they did... And fix the stupid hidden audio track issue on #6 extended as well...

I haven't heard anything back from Anthem since the initial contact. I wish more people would contact them about it! I want to finish watching these.

3 hours ago, Tommy_tucker said:

Thanks Snoopy, thats what it boils down to I suppose.  So for movies I might get better bang per buck from a multichannel elektra, as suggested by Happy Sacks, but for music I would be better off with an integrated.

If I put in an integrated amp does all the AVR's power that is saved from the L&R channels end up being rerouted to the centre and surrounds, or is it not that simple?  My surrounds are small satellites, so I would hope most of the power would be thrown into the centre channel where it is needed most.  Or does each channel have an allocated power limit somehow.  

For music, use Integrated with 2CH source.  Unfortunately, power is fixed on Anthems, however with fewer channels driven, power will be slightly closer to the marketing power number..

Edited by Snoopy8
Typo

On 18/08/2019 at 3:27 PM, Snoopy8 said:

If you have space for only 1 box, than the Anthem is a good compromise for music. However if you are really into music then you should have an Integrated amp for music.

Genesis treats the sub as one. For 2 subs, you need to, at a minimum, adjust volume and phase of the subs.

I think you cannot do bi amp.

Thanks Snoopy, sage advice. An amp with theater bypass and an anthem receiver may be a bridge too far budget-wise. Reasonable second hand Denon AVR's come up quite a bit, which puts the second amp back in frame. Shame to miss out on Arc Genesis though, Audessy can be hit and miss. Dirac via minidsp perhaps?

Anyway, thankyou for the reply!

On 19/08/2019 at 3:55 PM, DrDardis said:

Thanks Snoopy, sage advice. An amp with theater bypass and an anthem receiver may be a bridge too far budget-wise. Reasonable second hand Denon AVR's come up quite a bit, which puts the second amp back in frame. Shame to miss out on Arc Genesis though, Audessy can be hit and miss. Dirac via minidsp perhaps?

Anyway, thankyou for the reply!

Another option is NAD T758V3 with Dirac Live. It will be about same $ as second hand Denon + MiniDSP with Dirac.

If you have budget restrictions, then you could start of with using AVR for movies and music, then add Integrated with HT bypass later...

Following the above discussion on power amps, can anyone advise whether I should be running ARC again after installing a power amp with my MRX300? The speaker placement has not changed but obviously the extra amp power has had an affect.

I’m also curious to hear other’s thoughts on how a power amp has affected the sound of their Anthem receiver (positive or negative). In my case I appear to have gained more brute force and ability to fill my room with sound with an Emotiva XPA-5 power amp. Unfortunately I feel I’ve lost some of the finesse, detail and perhaps warmth of the inbuilt Anthem amp, particularly with music.

Is anyone using an Elektra Theatre or Anthem MCA amp with their Anthem receiver? I’d love to compare the sonic differences between an Elektra, Anthem and Emotiva amp.