35 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

@SubCrawler  noticed in the classifieds that you replaced your Emotiva with an Anthem.   Have you tried ARC Genesis and how does it compare with Dirac Live on the Emotiva?

Hi @Snoopy8. I have not tried ARC Genesis yet, but I do plan to this week when I get the unit back from repair (it had a faulty NIC).

However, I can tell you that ARC-2 is fantastic! ...and I believe does a better job than Dirac IMO, especially in the way it deals with low-frequencies and bass management. Although Dirac could really clean up the sound stage and snap everything into place, I felt it tried to do a little too much at the expensive of sounding 'natural' or 'organic' for lack of better terms. Whereas ARC also dials in the sound stage, it also manages to retain a greater sense of naturalness? the music still has air and space, it retains it's 'breath'?? (I hate using these fluffy terms BTW), and the bass is tight, guttural and textured. I don't have the certainty to try to explain why in scientific terms without  fear of being off-base, but I believe ARC just leaves certain things well alone without trying to fool a much more sophisticated human mind... and it pays off!

The quick measure feature in ARC is REAL nice too.... giving the ability to time-align multiple-sub before proceeding with measurement is gold!

I'm looking forward to an upcoming review of ARC from Gene at Audioholics.... I believe he will get to the nuts and bolts of it and why it works so darn well.

Don't get me wrong though, Dirac is great!... when I first ran it I was just as impressed when compared to no correction. I just prefer ARC now that I've been fortunate enough to compare them both. 🙂

@Snoopy8

No, I just applied Genesis to the existing levels I had used for ARC-2.

I had tried to 'level' with ARC-2, but had to reduce the sub with Genesis.

My point is that the db level of the front speakers will vary depending on the strength of the sub.

Your point is valid - if you get a similar db adjustment for the sub and the front speakers (by varying the volume level on the sub) , a reasonable set of volume levels for all speakers should eventuate.

When I used quick measure on arc-2, it gave me a frequency response curve, not the average level it would assume.

I found it wasn't that big an issue to rerun Genesis swoops for all 7.1 speakers.

Benje

On 04/05/2019 at 12:23 PM, kitschcamp said:

Have to say first impressions are that I’m very happy with Genesis. The ability to set the max frequency for correction for each position is good for my setup, and the levels for each position seem to be more in line with what I’d expect. ARC I always had to make a tweak to the levels of the rear surrounds and Atmos to get it right, this got it first time. 

Hmm, I should have spent time playing with it over the weekend... I avoided this thread though as I was doing other projects!!! And I'm pretty happy with the current.

I did find I manually upped levels on rears and overheads on ARC just for preference. I mean I have couch back to deal with.

It would be nice if they could do curve adjustment based on multiple room measurements, but allow level adjustments based on a seating positions only.

Damn it I am so SICK of how garbage the network capabilities are on this device. I have it wired, direct next to the frigging router and I can't get a connection. I'm so sick of it

7 hours ago, Mobe1969 said:

Damn it I am so SICK of how garbage the network capabilities are on this device. I have it wired, direct next to the frigging router and I can't get a connection. I'm so sick of it

I think you may have a fault with the network card, mines been fine and the one time I did have a problem a reset fixed it up fine. Just make sure to save your settings, then reload them ... easy peasy 30 second job

How are you guys going with genesis? Havent had time to try it yet.

Genesis = way better than ARC2, and I was very happy with it. Genesis has even more clarity and seems to have way better bass control/filters 

Genesis = way better than ARC2, and I was very happy with it. Genesis has even more clarity and seems to have way better bass control/filters 

Thats good to know will have to give it a go soon

1 hour ago, warroon said:

Yes I'm looking forward to trying it and you can use it on a Mac I believe so that means I can use it

On 06/05/2019 at 10:15 AM, Snoopy8 said:

@SubCrawler  noticed in the classifieds that you replaced your Emotiva with an Anthem.   Have you tried ARC Genesis and how does it compare with Dirac Live on the Emotiva?

On 11/05/2019 at 6:32 PM, franin said:

How are you guys going with genesis? Havent had time to try it yet.

18 hours ago, The Bluesman said:

Yes I'm looking forward to trying it and you can use it on a Mac I believe so that means I can use it

So I've run ARC Genesis, but I haven't worked out how you alter the settings for the different speaker profiles within the software application yet.....meaning that all 4 speaker profiles are at the default 80Hz crossover and the LFE tops out at 120Hz. I'll have to visit Anthem's website to find it I suspect. If anyone knows how to access them please let us know.

Initial impressions are positive though. The bass appears more prominent, but midrange and treble are also improved, so the bass doesn't come at their expense. 

Running Sting's Live At The Olympia as I type and on the whole sounds excellent. Will try a couple of movies over the next few days and report back. 

Thanks will hopefully do it next weekend. Btw are you guys using the beta version ?

1 hour ago, Happy Sacks said:

So I've run ARC Genesis, but I haven't worked out how you alter the settings for the different speaker profiles within the software application yet.....meaning that all 4 speaker profiles are at the default 80Hz crossover and the LFE tops out at 120Hz. I'll have to visit Anthem's website to find it I suspect. If anyone knows how to access them please let us know.

In preferences, need to enable professional setup.  In Step 3, Adjust ARC settings, have screen with 4 profiles which you can enable.  You can adjust settings e.g. crossover etc.  for each profile.

I have had no need to try the Beta version.

It took me just on an hour to measure all four profiles (one stereo only) in a 5.1 system.

It is pretty fast IMHO

Edited by warroon

On 12/05/2019 at 8:20 PM, Snoopy8 said:

In preferences, need to enable professional setup.  In Step 3, Adjust ARC settings, have screen with 4 profiles which you can enable.  You can adjust settings e.g. crossover etc.  for each profile.

Yes it is honestly pretty confusing. It took me a while to figure that.

Did anyone find where  you can setup the speaker distance in it, or can only do it on the Anthem itself?

I found the levels it set straight up seemed better than what it did with ARC.

37 minutes ago, Mobe1969 said:

Did anyone find where  you can setup the speaker distance in it, or can only do it on the Anthem itself?

Distance is set up in unit itself;  ARC does not touch this.

I have had no need to try the Beta version.

It too me just on an hour to measure all four profiles (one stereo only) in a 5.1 system.

It is pretty fast IMHO

Thats good to know thanks :)

On 12/05/2019 at 8:20 PM, Snoopy8 said:

Thanks Snoopster 👍.......all sorted.  I did another set of measurements and found it far too heavy-handed in the bottom end. Nice being able to pull up the ARC file from the other day where the results more to my liking, then activate and create 3 other speaker profiles based upon those measurements. Being able to adjust the curves is helpful. 

The best part of course is that ARC Genesis is but in its infancy. Just as we've seen quite a few firmware updates for our UHD 4K players, I'm sure we'll see a few software updates for this version of ARC as they further refine it. 

Edited by Happy Sacks

On 14/05/2019 at 1:37 PM, Snoopy8 said:

Distance is set up in unit itself;  ARC does not touch this.

Thanks. Odd. I'm on the Bass Equalization thread at AVS so use a minidsp for bass correction of some movies. It introduces a minor delay and was advised this needs to be corrected with a profile adding extra distance for the sub. And given distance is against profile, you'd think you could adjust it in ARC.

53 minutes ago, Mobe1969 said:

Thanks. Odd. I'm on the Bass Equalization thread at AVS so use a minidsp for bass correction of some movies. It introduces a minor delay and was advised this needs to be corrected with a profile adding extra distance for the sub. And given distance is against profile, you'd think you could adjust it in ARC.

Bass equalisation with certain movies!  Not something I would have considered.

Easy to go to setup & change distance for a certain movies...

42 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

Bass equalisation with certain movies!  Not something I would have considered.

Easy to go to setup & change distance for a certain movies...

It sent me a bit nuts discovering that thread. Not what they do, but why they have to. And even ignoring the idiocy of recent disney audio mixes, seeing what they do to some movies where you can compare the spectrum of the original Blu Ray release and the remastered Blu Ray, it is utterly insane. Take the Atmos remix of Hellboy 2, They deliberately filtered bass out. There are so many movies this happens to, and the results of correcting it can be amazing, like First Man. The reason people give for why studios are doing this is rubbish fake Atmos soundbars, but that makes no logical sense. If soundbars was the reason for altering mixes. They would boost the bass as soundbars have a garbage low end response that even for a great one rolls off at 60hz. But no, the do the opposite to make the bass worse.

I'm not joking, it is the one thing in this crazy world that really drives me nuts with the illogicality of it. Even politics makes more logical sense. If the reason people gave was they ant the home video releases to sound like garbage to encourage 0eolle to go to smelly theaters, I'd understand. It would make some sort of sense.

D2V owner

Set up ARC Genesis (ARC3) on friend's MRX-1120 today. And compared it with ARC2.  My summary 👍

For movies, ARC3 improved the resolution of each channel, in particular the centre channel. Dialogue was crisp & slightly louder. With the improved resolution, the steering of sound was better. The improvement was more apparent in multi channel music using Bohemian Rhapsody DTS 24/96 on a DVD-A. Each channel was precise and clarity improved significantly over ARC2.

For 2 channel music, ARC3 showed a similar level of improvement. Sound stage was wider. The mids and bass came across better.

If you can update to ARC Genesis, do so as soon as you can.  It is a worthy upgrade which will bring a smile to you... 😃 

Couldn’t agree more with everyone’s assessments on here. I have a MRX 1120 with an Atmos setup (Definitive Technology kit) and the difference is awesome with Genesis.

Previously I had to manually bump up the volume on the surround and in particular the height channels to get the pop I wanted. Genesis sorts this out.

Dialogue is much crisper and overall soundstage wider. The new software is much nicer to use too and some seemingly minor improvements make a big difference (like being able to do one speaker instead of having to do the whole thing). Overall very impressed and worth doing ASAP.

Agree , Genesis is a nice leap above ARC2

On 25/05/2019 at 9:03 PM, Neg99 said:

Couldn’t agree more with everyone’s assessments on here. I have a MRX 1120 with an Atmos setup (Definitive Technology kit) and the difference is awesome with Genesis.

Previously I had to manually bump up the volume on the surround and in particular the height channels to get the pop I wanted. Genesis sorts this out.

Dialogue is much crisper and overall soundstage wider. The new software is much nicer to use too and some seemingly minor improvements make a big difference (like being able to do one speaker instead of having to do the whole thing). Overall very impressed and worth doing ASAP.

So it wasn't just me that felt the levels are better with Genesis. I had previously done the same, and had to bump them as well, but not now.