Jump to content

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, powerav said:

You can add me to the 720 club after getting an offer I couldn't refuse as i was sick of waiting for a Marantz 6012. I have a feeling i will be much better off.

WOW!  Unexpected but most welcome!  Enjoy :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

WOW!  Unexpected but most welcome!  Enjoy :)

The retailers are pretty upset with the delay of Marantz and Denon as well. This will be definitely an AVR I can keep for a long time and build around. Hopefully arrives Friday.:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, powerav said:

The retailers are pretty upset with the delay of Marantz and Denon as well. This will be definitely an AVR I can keep for a long time and build around. Hopefully arrives Friday.:)

Hopefully you can do a review?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, powerav said:

The retailers are pretty upset with the delay of Marantz and Denon as well. This will be definitely an AVR I can keep for a long time and build around. Hopefully arrives Friday.:)

Look out, now ARC is in the firing line! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


3 hours ago, powerav said:

You can add me to the 720 club after getting an offer I couldn't refuse as i was sick of waiting for a Marantz 6012. I have a feeling i will be much better off.

Haha nicely done, I joined the club in exactly the same way and not looking back. Really enjoying my 720 so far, still waiting for a chance to watch a movie with it though

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, 2LOUD2OLD said:

Haha nicely done, I joined the club in exactly the same way and not looking back. Really enjoying my 720 so far, still waiting for a chance to watch a movie with it though

Do tell about your music experience with the 720 and ARC. I understand it uses a better DAC than the 710 (which I have).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

Do tell about your music experience with the 720 and ARC. I understand it uses a better DAC than the 710 (which I have).

Can't really provide too much insight on that sorry. I haven't played much music on it either. Have pretty much only used my 720 for tv and Xbox, certainly good fun for gaming though.

I can say however that it is definitely a lot cleaner sound than my previous marantz sr5006. I also think that ARC did a far better job of room correction than the audessey in the marantz. My room is far from ideal and ARC has done a brilliant job

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Hi-Fi Whipped said:

Look out, now ARC is in the firing line! 

No, I don't want to be put on any body else's ignore list.;)

Looking forward to using ARC, looks like it doesn't have the 1001 different sound settings after you set it up like Audyssey does, just a pity it does not have dual sub eq.

Question? does the 720 have assignable speaker outputs? eg. If i get a 5 channel power amp can I use that for front speaker and surrounds and use the unused speaker terminals for the height speakers.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


38 minutes ago, powerav said:

Looking forward to using ARC, looks like it doesn't have the 1001 different sound settings after you set it up like Audyssey does, just a pity it does not have dual sub eq.

Question? does the 720 have assignable speaker outputs? eg. If i get a 5 channel power amp can I use that for front speaker and surrounds and use the unused speaker terminals for the height speakers.

ARC has limited tweaks, all in Target page, more focused on the bass. Makes it simpler to use but no tweakers delight. You could adjust some things, post ARC, within the AVR, but why do it when results are so good. ARC treats multiple subs as a single channel and assumes that they are integrated (level & phase matched). No, cannot assign unused outputs.

22 minutes ago, powerav said:

Interesting review. Better than the 710 :ohmy:, for movies and multi channel despite not having a toroidal power supply!  Hmmm....  time for upgrade?? :lol:

 

Will be interesting to read your review that I assume will include stereo?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

ARC has limited tweaks, all in Target page, more focused on the bass. Makes it simpler to use but no tweakers delight.

That is great, this was my issue with Audyssey, always had to keep on adjusting for movies and music.

 

8 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

No, cannot assign unused outputs.

Didn't think so, not a big issue. I'll just get a smaller cheaper amp when it comes time to get Atmos.

9 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

Will be interesting to read your review that I assume will include stereo?

I'll be focusing on music concerts, 5.1 music and hi res 2 channel music.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, powerav said:

That is great, this was my issue with Audyssey, always had to keep on adjusting for movies and music.

Have option of using different profiles eg. different crossover.

 

And looking forward to your music reviews.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


6 hours ago, Snoopy8 said:

Hmmm....  time for upgrade??

I have feeling Anthem are due for another model coming out as dealers are offering good deals at the moment if asked for on current models.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, powerav said:

I have feeling Anthem are due for another model coming out as dealers are offering good deals at the moment if asked for on current models.

Anthem tend to have a slower release cycle than others. The Gen 2 MRX (eg. 710) shipped in Nov 2013.  They announced Gen 3 (eg.720) in Nov 2015 and shipped in Feb 2016.  About 2-3 years cycle which suggests that from mid next year, Gen 4 will be announced ???

 

The other thing I have noticed is that Anthem dealers can offer good deals. I bought my 710 as cheap as USA price after exchange.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

The other thing I have noticed is that Anthem dealers can offer good deals. I bought my 710 as cheap as USA price after exchange.

Will there you go, I got mine for the US Price.:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

an anthem in the forsales for anyone looking,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


First impressions are some what good, set up is much harder than any modern AVR from the more popular manufactures, it really is like going back in time 15 years with these more niche AVR's. Even just doing a simple firmware update you have to use USB, then half the USB's you use don't work because they are not formatted correctly, then you have get the tape measure out to measure the speaker distance......

Sound wise I find it to have much more detail than previous AVR's but one big downfall is no dual bass EQ, compared to a Denon 4300 or Integra models the bass is pretty much non existent except for those big movie moments like explosions and stuff, much more noticeable on music concerts where detail is better but the fun factor is gone from having dual subs. Looks like I'll have to muck around with these MiniDSP things, for a premium product you shouldn't have to.

Is there a way of having subwoofers activated for 2 channel music?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, powerav said:

First impressions are some what good, set up is much harder than any modern AVR from the more popular manufactures, it really is like going back in time 15 years with these more niche AVR's. Even just doing a simple firmware update you have to use USB, then half the USB's you use don't work because they are not formatted correctly, then you have get the tape measure out to measure the speaker distance......

Changed firmware only once, had no issue.  Yes, have to do tape measure.  Read a little while ago that they believed that there are issues with measuring delay with a microphone and entering distances was better.

 

1 hour ago, powerav said:

Sound wise I find it to have much more detail than previous AVR's but one big downfall is no dual bass EQ, compared to a Denon 4300 or Integra models the bass is pretty much non existent except for those big movie moments like explosions and stuff, much more noticeable on music concerts where detail is better but the fun factor is gone from having dual subs. Looks like I'll have to muck around with these MiniDSP things, for a premium product you shouldn't have to.

You will not be the last to express lack of dual sub support on the Anthem.  ARC assumes that the subs are already integrated.  Anthem provided this advice  to set up dual subs:

Quote

First you’ll need to balance the subs to one another, use the subwoofer test tone with one subwoofer connected at a time.  Sets its input level dial so the SPL meter reads 71db from the listening position.  Then repeat this for the second sub.  When both are set, the result should be around 75db

Also, have a look at Calibrate dual woofers with ARC (Poor Audiophile)

 

1 hour ago, powerav said:

Is there a way of having subwoofers activated for 2 channel music?

Press mode button on remote. It is likely to be displaying 2.0 PCM None.  Select some of the other modes to activate the subs.

 

Edited by Snoopy8
Typos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

Yeah thanks, I'll have a look at that over the weekend.

being school holidays of course the first movie was a kids cgi movie and probably a real good test for it, the detail is incredible, once I get the subs right I should be happy ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/27/2017 at 7:50 PM, Hi-Fi Whipped said:

Look out, now ARC is in the firing line! 

Yep it sure is, probably will get more ignoring me now. 

Just like Audyssey, you have to turn it off for music, Arc is actually worse than Audyssey for music. This becomes a pain for me as I have all my Music and movies on the one source, a HTPC.

So i would rather suffer a bit with Movies and have it perform better for music so it stays off. Therefore no real benefit in having it what so ever.

The best Room Correction I have ever used is just the basic AccuEQ Room, found on Integra's and Cambridge AVR's plus more, probably because most consider it to be the worst one but in reality it just sets the basic distance and levels and that's it, doesn't have all the fake hocus pocus processing stuff.

Anyway with ARC OFF! music sounds bloddy fantastic.

Still have no idea why people rave about room correction, are they setting up their HT's in bathrooms or something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some interesting observations, which contradict so many Anthem and ARC reviews, as well as views of owners here. Not sure what else I can add?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not just ARC but any of the fancier room correction software.

I just thinks it's common sense in that if your room is already correct then you don't need to correct it, msybe it works for set ups that are in an open plan environment or something.

Today I had Dire Straits - Alchemy live DVD on and I was ready to sell the anthem as it sounded lifeless and flat, tonight I turned Arc off and tried it again and yes it came to life, even at low volume it sounds great, maybe you can try it @Snoopy8 and see what happens when Arc is off.

It's easily the best AVR I have ever heard now, just have to set it up the old school way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, powerav said:

It's not just ARC but any of the fancier room correction software.

I just thinks it's common sense in that if your room is already correct then you don't need to correct it, msybe it works for set ups that are in an open plan environment or something.

Today I had Dire Straits - Alchemy live DVD on and I was ready to sell the anthem as it sounded lifeless and flat, tonight I turned Arc off and tried it again and yes it came to life, even at low volume it sounds great, maybe you can try it @Snoopy8 and see what happens when Arc is off.

I have posted my observations about ARC for movies, multi channel music and stereo here, as well as in the older Anthem thread.  For stereo, with or without ARC, the DAC on my 710 could not match my Audiolab 8200CDQ.  ARC did help improve the stereo, but not enough to beat the dedicated DAC.

 

Your point about ARC working in open plan environment applies to me.  All my ARC use have been in non-dedicated rooms, have used it in 3 different places.  So, your point about ARC not working as well in corrected rooms may be valid.

 

Can I suggest that you contact Anthem and include your ARC file.  Your experience with ARC is opposite to what most of us have experienced and maybe Anthem can provide an answer.  They are usually quite responsive.

 

34 minutes ago, powerav said:

It's easily the best AVR I have ever heard now, just have to set it up the old school way.

I was half expecting to see the 720 on the For Sale thread!  :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, powerav said:

Yep it sure is, probably will get more ignoring me now. 

Just like Audyssey, you have to turn it off for music, Arc is actually worse than Audyssey for music. This becomes a pain for me as I have all my Music and movies on the one source, a HTPC.

So i would rather suffer a bit with Movies and have it perform better for music so it stays off. Therefore no real benefit in having it what so ever.

The best Room Correction I have ever used is just the basic AccuEQ Room, found on Integra's and Cambridge AVR's plus more, probably because most consider it to be the worst one but in reality it just sets the basic distance and levels and that's it, doesn't have all the fake hocus pocus processing stuff.

Anyway with ARC OFF! music sounds bloddy fantastic.

Still have no idea why people rave about room correction, are they setting up their HT's in bathrooms or something.

You can setup two inputs with the same source and have ARC on for one and off for the other if you want.

Ben

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@POWER AV

 

is is it wrong I had a little chuckle when I read your findings, we all knew it was coming!

 

This isn't about me but i gave up on room eq a couple of years ago simply applying the theory of the purest untouched signal is the best, something a lot of 2ch experts preach. I don't have the perfect room but lots of plush soft furnishings and carpet help I'm sure. I don't even need to add bass and treble tweakings.

 

i must say it's been a game changer for me by making changes to speaker positioning etc. but I do have one of those dspeaker sub eq thingys you speak of as I reckon the sub bass is the critical signal to get right, let the upper frequencies sing  I say!

 

the CA 751r has been the component to seal my theory, the dynamics this thing has is insane for 2ch and surround, I've never heard sound this good from anything I've owned.

 

But no room eq isn't for everyone and it's got to the point where for me ignorance is bliss.

 

in your case, I wouldn't throw the baby out with the bath water just yet, reckon I've said it before but look at it as a bonus that you can either use or not, if it sounds good with eq just keep it off. Plus I'm sure there's plenty you can do to improve it if you can be buggered too, it's a cracking reciever from all reports so maybe just have some patience man!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Classifieds Statistics


    Currently Active Ads

    Total Sales (Since 2018)

    Total Sales Value (Last 14 Days)

    Total Ads Value (Since March 2020)
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By dheck
      Item: Paradigm Perfect Bass Kit or Anthem Room Correction ARC1M
      Price Range: Less than new.
      Item Condition: New or Used
      Extra Info: 
      I'm looking for the calibration mic to use with PBK and ARC Genesis with a Paradigm Seismic 110.
       
      Prefer local to Sydney.
    • By kerisabe
      Item Condition: Mint, very low hours. Shipping Options: Pickup available but audition is not available.,Shipping is available at agreed cost. Suburb or Town: North Melbourne State: Victoria Payment Method: EFT, Cash on Pickup. Reason for selling: Surplus Further information: 
       
      Silver Audio Research DAC 9.
       
       
      Selling due to surplus in my system. Unit is in mint condition, very low hours of use. Serious buyers only, can check condition upon pick up. Located in North Melbourne, 5 mins walking distance from Queen Victoria Market. 
       
      Some review articles to read:
       
      http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0320/Audio_Research_DAC9_Digital_To_Analog_Converter_DAC_Review.htm
       
       
      https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/reviews/audio-research-dac-9-review-r644/
      Photos: Advertisements without photos of the actual item will not be approved.





    • By gwavz
      Item: Anthem AVM 60 Processor
      Price Range: $2000-$3000
      Item Condition: Used
      Extra Info:
      Upgrade time and need a processor to go along with a WTB Power Amp please! Would consider other receivers/processors. Balanced output desired, but not essential
       
    • By :) Go Away (:
      Hi Guys,
       
      Need some advise and guidance regarding the power amplifier requirements for home theatre use.
       
      I have Anthem MRX710 powering my 7.1 setup in Home theatre, my components are as below.
       
      Fronts: Ascension Summoner 863SQTL (150 WRMS, with 91 dB 1w/1m sensitivity)
      Center: Ascension 253SQ (120/200 wrms/max (@ 60Hz plus), , with 91 dB 1w/1m sensitivity) 
      Surrounds: Polk T15 (20 watts → 100 watts, with 89 db 1w/1m sensitivity)
      Surround back (Ceiling mounted): Micca M-8C (100 watts, with 90dB 1W/1M sensitivity)
      Subwoofer: Martin Logan Dynamo 600x
      Room size: 4m x 3.8m (Acoustically treated with Acoustic pin boards, Martini Absorb HD50 on all 4 walls with carpet on the floor, ceiling untreated.)
       
      I like loud volumes when watching movies to get the same feel and punch one gets from commercial theatres. However, I have never gone past -10db volume level with Anthem, as I find other members of the household start complaining before I even get a chance to listen at reference level. This is for mainly HT use, I do occasionally listen to two channel music but it is not my main stereo listening room.
       
      Some demo audio at close to reference level sounds amazing and feel like increasing the volume even more, however I find some movie scenes at the loud volume seems to be bit distorted or somewhat incoherent that I find the need to turn down the volume. I am not sure, if this is the limiting factors of Anthem's power amp stage or just room acoustics.
       
      So far, Anthem has been the best AVR, I have ever had and Sound quality is really really great. Lately, I have been questioning, if I should add a power amplifier to the mix, and if I did, will there be much improvements to the sound quality vs the money spent? I am mainly thinking about adding 2 or 3 channel amp for front stage. I have seen countless posts on the net where people suggest adding power amp to AVR to boost the sound quality, given the Anthem MRX710 driving 7 channels, I don't think it outputs more than 80-90 watts per channel. 
       
      Will adding power amp to my setup give me better bang for buck?
       
      As for the budget, It is very limited at this stage and I am thinking somewhere the range of $1000 for 3 channels. Unfortunately, most in this range are somewhat at the same power rating as the Anthem or less, that I think will not make much difference adding them.
       
      What do you guys recommend, Is power amp really necessary and will it be a better investment? if so, what amps would you recommend to go with Anthem MRX710? 
      Anthem's MCA325 is an ideal choice to match with Anthem MRX but at $3600, it is way out of budget for me. Should I get some inexpensive amp now or perhaps I should save up and go for it when budget allows and be done with it or I am looking at this at wrong way and should perhaps target my speakers. I am quite happy with the front stage, my surrounds are cheap speakers, but they do their job.
       
      What has been your experience when adding the power amp to relieve AVR of some of the channels?
    • By :) Go Away (:
      Item: Anthem MRX-510 or above any model
      Price Range: $700 +
      Item Condition: New or Used
      Extra Info:
      I am looking for Anthem MRX receiver from model MRX510 and above range, basically 7 channel AVR. 
×
×
  • Create New...