3 minutes ago, powerav said:

You can add me to the 720 club after getting an offer I couldn't refuse as i was sick of waiting for a Marantz 6012. I have a feeling i will be much better off.

WOW!  Unexpected but most welcome!  Enjoy :)

10 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

WOW!  Unexpected but most welcome!  Enjoy :)

The retailers are pretty upset with the delay of Marantz and Denon as well. This will be definitely an AVR I can keep for a long time and build around. Hopefully arrives Friday.:)

2 hours ago, powerav said:

The retailers are pretty upset with the delay of Marantz and Denon as well. This will be definitely an AVR I can keep for a long time and build around. Hopefully arrives Friday.:)

Hopefully you can do a review?  

2 hours ago, powerav said:

Look out, now ARC is in the firing line! 

3 hours ago, powerav said:

You can add me to the 720 club after getting an offer I couldn't refuse as i was sick of waiting for a Marantz 6012. I have a feeling i will be much better off.

Haha nicely done, I joined the club in exactly the same way and not looking back. Really enjoying my 720 so far, still waiting for a chance to watch a movie with it though

10 minutes ago, 2LOUD2OLD said:

Haha nicely done, I joined the club in exactly the same way and not looking back. Really enjoying my 720 so far, still waiting for a chance to watch a movie with it though

Do tell about your music experience with the 720 and ARC. I understand it uses a better DAC than the 710 (which I have).

2 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

Do tell about your music experience with the 720 and ARC. I understand it uses a better DAC than the 710 (which I have).

Can't really provide too much insight on that sorry. I haven't played much music on it either. Have pretty much only used my 720 for tv and Xbox, certainly good fun for gaming though.

I can say however that it is definitely a lot cleaner sound than my previous marantz sr5006. I also think that ARC did a far better job of room correction than the audessey in the marantz. My room is far from ideal and ARC has done a brilliant job

10 hours ago, Hi-Fi Whipped said:

No, I don't want to be put on any body else's ignore list.;)

Looking forward to using ARC, looks like it doesn't have the 1001 different sound settings after you set it up like Audyssey does, just a pity it does not have dual sub eq.

Question? does the 720 have assignable speaker outputs? eg. If i get a 5 channel power amp can I use that for front speaker and surrounds and use the unused speaker terminals for the height speakers.

38 minutes ago, powerav said:

Looking forward to using ARC, looks like it doesn't have the 1001 different sound settings after you set it up like Audyssey does, just a pity it does not have dual sub eq.

Question? does the 720 have assignable speaker outputs? eg. If i get a 5 channel power amp can I use that for front speaker and surrounds and use the unused speaker terminals for the height speakers.

ARC has limited tweaks, all in Target page, more focused on the bass. Makes it simpler to use but no tweakers delight. You could adjust some things, post ARC, within the AVR, but why do it when results are so good. ARC treats multiple subs as a single channel and assumes that they are integrated (level & phase matched). No, cannot assign unused outputs.

22 minutes ago, powerav said:

Interesting review. Better than the 710 :ohmy:, for movies and multi channel despite not having a toroidal power supply!  Hmmm....  time for upgrade?? :lol:

Will be interesting to read your review that I assume will include stereo?

4 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

ARC has limited tweaks, all in Target page, more focused on the bass. Makes it simpler to use but no tweakers delight.

That is great, this was my issue with Audyssey, always had to keep on adjusting for movies and music.

8 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

No, cannot assign unused outputs.

Didn't think so, not a big issue. I'll just get a smaller cheaper amp when it comes time to get Atmos.

9 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

Will be interesting to read your review that I assume will include stereo?

I'll be focusing on music concerts, 5.1 music and hi res 2 channel music.

23 minutes ago, powerav said:

That is great, this was my issue with Audyssey, always had to keep on adjusting for movies and music.

Have option of using different profiles eg. different crossover.

And looking forward to your music reviews.

6 hours ago, Snoopy8 said:

Hmmm....  time for upgrade??

I have feeling Anthem are due for another model coming out as dealers are offering good deals at the moment if asked for on current models.

8 minutes ago, powerav said:

I have feeling Anthem are due for another model coming out as dealers are offering good deals at the moment if asked for on current models.

Anthem tend to have a slower release cycle than others. The Gen 2 MRX (eg. 710) shipped in Nov 2013.  They announced Gen 3 (eg.720) in Nov 2015 and shipped in Feb 2016.  About 2-3 years cycle which suggests that from mid next year, Gen 4 will be announced ???

The other thing I have noticed is that Anthem dealers can offer good deals. I bought my 710 as cheap as USA price after exchange.

28 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

The other thing I have noticed is that Anthem dealers can offer good deals. I bought my 710 as cheap as USA price after exchange.

Will there you go, I got mine for the US Price.:)

an anthem in the forsales for anyone looking,

First impressions are some what good, set up is much harder than any modern AVR from the more popular manufactures, it really is like going back in time 15 years with these more niche AVR's. Even just doing a simple firmware update you have to use USB, then half the USB's you use don't work because they are not formatted correctly, then you have get the tape measure out to measure the speaker distance......

Sound wise I find it to have much more detail than previous AVR's but one big downfall is no dual bass EQ, compared to a Denon 4300 or Integra models the bass is pretty much non existent except for those big movie moments like explosions and stuff, much more noticeable on music concerts where detail is better but the fun factor is gone from having dual subs. Looks like I'll have to muck around with these MiniDSP things, for a premium product you shouldn't have to.

Is there a way of having subwoofers activated for 2 channel music?

1 hour ago, powerav said:

First impressions are some what good, set up is much harder than any modern AVR from the more popular manufactures, it really is like going back in time 15 years with these more niche AVR's. Even just doing a simple firmware update you have to use USB, then half the USB's you use don't work because they are not formatted correctly, then you have get the tape measure out to measure the speaker distance......

Changed firmware only once, had no issue.  Yes, have to do tape measure.  Read a little while ago that they believed that there are issues with measuring delay with a microphone and entering distances was better.

Sound wise I find it to have much more detail than previous AVR's but one big downfall is no dual bass EQ, compared to a Denon 4300 or Integra models the bass is pretty much non existent except for those big movie moments like explosions and stuff, much more noticeable on music concerts where detail is better but the fun factor is gone from having dual subs. Looks like I'll have to muck around with these MiniDSP things, for a premium product you shouldn't have to.

You will not be the last to express lack of dual sub support on the Anthem.  ARC assumes that the subs are already integrated.  Anthem provided this advice  to set up dual subs:

First you’ll need to balance the subs to one another, use the subwoofer test tone with one subwoofer connected at a time.  Sets its input level dial so the SPL meter reads 71db from the listening position.  Then repeat this for the second sub.  When both are set, the result should be around 75db

Also, have a look at Calibrate dual woofers with ARC (Poor Audiophile)

Is there a way of having subwoofers activated for 2 channel music?

Press mode button on remote. It is likely to be displaying 2.0 PCM None.  Select some of the other modes to activate the subs.

Edited by Snoopy8
Typos

16 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

Yeah thanks, I'll have a look at that over the weekend.

being school holidays of course the first movie was a kids cgi movie and probably a real good test for it, the detail is incredible, once I get the subs right I should be happy ? 

On 9/27/2017 at 7:50 PM, Hi-Fi Whipped said:

Yep it sure is, probably will get more ignoring me now. 

Just like Audyssey, you have to turn it off for music, Arc is actually worse than Audyssey for music. This becomes a pain for me as I have all my Music and movies on the one source, a HTPC.

So i would rather suffer a bit with Movies and have it perform better for music so it stays off. Therefore no real benefit in having it what so ever.

The best Room Correction I have ever used is just the basic AccuEQ Room, found on Integra's and Cambridge AVR's plus more, probably because most consider it to be the worst one but in reality it just sets the basic distance and levels and that's it, doesn't have all the fake hocus pocus processing stuff.

Anyway with ARC OFF! music sounds bloddy fantastic.

Still have no idea why people rave about room correction, are they setting up their HT's in bathrooms or something.

Some interesting observations, which contradict so many Anthem and ARC reviews, as well as views of owners here. Not sure what else I can add?

It's not just ARC but any of the fancier room correction software.

I just thinks it's common sense in that if your room is already correct then you don't need to correct it, msybe it works for set ups that are in an open plan environment or something.

Today I had Dire Straits - Alchemy live DVD on and I was ready to sell the anthem as it sounded lifeless and flat, tonight I turned Arc off and tried it again and yes it came to life, even at low volume it sounds great, maybe you can try it @Snoopy8 and see what happens when Arc is off.

It's easily the best AVR I have ever heard now, just have to set it up the old school way.

22 minutes ago, powerav said:

It's not just ARC but any of the fancier room correction software.

I just thinks it's common sense in that if your room is already correct then you don't need to correct it, msybe it works for set ups that are in an open plan environment or something.

Today I had Dire Straits - Alchemy live DVD on and I was ready to sell the anthem as it sounded lifeless and flat, tonight I turned Arc off and tried it again and yes it came to life, even at low volume it sounds great, maybe you can try it @Snoopy8 and see what happens when Arc is off.

I have posted my observations about ARC for movies, multi channel music and stereo here, as well as in the older Anthem thread.  For stereo, with or without ARC, the DAC on my 710 could not match my Audiolab 8200CDQ.  ARC did help improve the stereo, but not enough to beat the dedicated DAC.

Your point about ARC working in open plan environment applies to me.  All my ARC use have been in non-dedicated rooms, have used it in 3 different places.  So, your point about ARC not working as well in corrected rooms may be valid.

Can I suggest that you contact Anthem and include your ARC file.  Your experience with ARC is opposite to what most of us have experienced and maybe Anthem can provide an answer.  They are usually quite responsive.

34 minutes ago, powerav said:

It's easily the best AVR I have ever heard now, just have to set it up the old school way.

I was half expecting to see the 720 on the For Sale thread!  :P

Yep it sure is, probably will get more ignoring me now. 

Just like Audyssey, you have to turn it off for music, Arc is actually worse than Audyssey for music. This becomes a pain for me as I have all my Music and movies on the one source, a HTPC.

So i would rather suffer a bit with Movies and have it perform better for music so it stays off. Therefore no real benefit in having it what so ever.

The best Room Correction I have ever used is just the basic AccuEQ Room, found on Integra's and Cambridge AVR's plus more, probably because most consider it to be the worst one but in reality it just sets the basic distance and levels and that's it, doesn't have all the fake hocus pocus processing stuff.

Anyway with ARC OFF! music sounds bloddy fantastic.

Still have no idea why people rave about room correction, are they setting up their HT's in bathrooms or something.

You can setup two inputs with the same source and have ARC on for one and off for the other if you want.

Ben

@POWER AV

is is it wrong I had a little chuckle when I read your findings, we all knew it was coming!

This isn't about me but i gave up on room eq a couple of years ago simply applying the theory of the purest untouched signal is the best, something a lot of 2ch experts preach. I don't have the perfect room but lots of plush soft furnishings and carpet help I'm sure. I don't even need to add bass and treble tweakings.

i must say it's been a game changer for me by making changes to speaker positioning etc. but I do have one of those dspeaker sub eq thingys you speak of as I reckon the sub bass is the critical signal to get right, let the upper frequencies sing  I say!

the CA 751r has been the component to seal my theory, the dynamics this thing has is insane for 2ch and surround, I've never heard sound this good from anything I've owned.

But no room eq isn't for everyone and it's got to the point where for me ignorance is bliss.

in your case, I wouldn't throw the baby out with the bath water just yet, reckon I've said it before but look at it as a bonus that you can either use or not, if it sounds good with eq just keep it off. Plus I'm sure there's plenty you can do to improve it if you can be buggered too, it's a cracking reciever from all reports so maybe just have some patience man!