Anthem AV Owners Thread

Following the above discussion on power amps, can anyone advise whether I should be running ARC again after installing a power amp with my MRX300? The speaker placement has not changed but obviously the extra amp power has had an affect.

I’m also curious to hear other’s thoughts on how a power amp has affected the sound of their Anthem receiver (positive or negative). In my case I appear to have gained more brute force and ability to fill my room with sound with an Emotiva XPA-5 power amp. Unfortunately I feel I’ve lost some of the finesse, detail and perhaps warmth of the inbuilt Anthem amp, particularly with music.

Is anyone using an Elektra Theatre or Anthem MCA amp with their Anthem receiver? I’d love to compare the sonic differences between an Elektra, Anthem and Emotiva amp.

There should be little difference but suggest calibrating ARC with and without the power amp and report back here.

Regarding sonic differences, it does depend on the equipment involved including interconnects. 

Very true, Snoop.

I think the question is also able to be asked what dB in output gain do the compared amps mentioned provide?

Generally speaking I'd say that means for every decimal point xx of a volt received the amp then multiplies internally.
A more high output amp means it needs a less 'hot' input to achieve your speaker's requirements for output volume.
A lower output amp would mean you effectively can turn up the source louder, potentially leading to its internal DACs working slightly differently (or better) which can yield a possible slight variation in tonal behaviour.

You could test this by a simple 1khz tone measurement on a decibel meter and ensure each amp at the same receiver/processor level stays unchanged. You then adjust any decibel variance in increasing the output level for the speaker channels.

There should be little difference but suggest calibrating ARC with and without the power amp and report back here.

Regarding sonic differences, it does depend on the equipment involved including interconnects. 
  • Like 1

Im glad you guys talked me out of selling my Anthem AVM 60. Ive been playing around with Genesis this time calibrating each speaker at 200hz. I was told about the Schroeder Frequency and It sounds great, more detail in the movies. Basically let the speakers naturally do what they do. I originally started at 500hz and that sounded good but 200hz  even better. So a big thanks  very happy guy here. Btw does the Marantz Audyssey with the App allow to adjust at different freq ?

• Like 3

On 14/02/2019 at 9:50 AM, Neilsy said:

I've ordered a Keyspan USA-19HS off eBay and should arrive within 2 weeks.
I'll give it a crack and report my findings if it gives success or not

Hi Neilsy - Can I ask which Ebay seller you sourced your Keyspan adapter from? Still working well?

The best source I can find in Australia is Digikey store at AUD$64 delivered.

PS - If any forum members have an old MRX 310/510/710 they’re considering selling, feel free to PM me.

Edited by OzJustin

It's a Tripp Lite USA-19HS. I think a few people resell them so any seller would do.
Mine worked as soon as I plugged it in. Here's a link to one on eBay

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com.au%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F183936167800

Hi Neilsy - Can I ask which Ebay seller you sourced your Keyspan adapter from? Still working well?
The best source I can find in Australia is Digikey store at AUD$64 delivered.

PS - If any forum members have an old MRX 310/510/710 they’re considering selling, feel free to PM me.

On 04/09/2019 at 5:45 PM, Neilsy said:

It's a Tripp Lite USA-19HS. I think a few people resell them so any seller would do.
Mine worked as soon as I plugged it in. Here's a link to one on eBay

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com.au%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F183936167800

17 hours ago, sfdoddsy said:

Thanks guys. That Comsol one is pretty expensive at $45 so the Tripp Lite is probably worth the few extra dollars to know that it will work.

On 26/08/2019 at 7:00 PM, OzJustin said:

Is anyone using an Elektra Theatre or Anthem MCA amp with their Anthem receiver? I’d love to compare the sonic differences between an Elektra, Anthem and Emotiva amp.

I too would like to know the answer to this question...

I use an Anthem processor, Anthem M1 statement amp (for subs) and two Emotiva XPA5 but I don't have any Elektra in hand to help with that part.... [emoji51]

I too would like to know the answer to this question...

1 hour ago, Neilsy said:

I use an Anthem processor, Anthem M1 statement amp (for subs) and two Emotiva XPA5 but I don't have any Elektra in hand to help with that part.... emoji51.png

I think the query was anthem receiver's built in amp compared to external amp (Elektra etc).

3 hours ago, kitschcamp said:

Don't know if anyone noticed, but Anthem are adding IMAX Enhanced to our current receivers! 

When IMAX enhanced is disc based or a high quality DOWNLOAD service, and I can get a projector that will work with it, I'll be doubly excited.

I'd be happy enough with Anthem for a firmware fix that addresses that damn DTX:X HRA issue so I can frigging finish watching the Fast and Furious UHDs... Given imax is a variant of the DTS:X codec, I hope they actually manage to test the less common HRA - that said, if imax enhanced is streaming, it sure won't be DTS:X MA...

Edited by Mobe1969

3 hours ago, Tommy_tucker said:

I think the query was anthem receiver's built in amp compared to external amp (Elektra etc).

Bit harder than that ; op was wanting comparisons with MCA power amps :)

12 hours ago, franin said:

Does anyone know the ETA on when this IMAX enhanced will be available?

Well, the article was 6th September, and it said within six weeks, so I guess sometime in October.

I hope I can finish watching these Fast and Furious films finally, and they have fixed DTSX HRA...

• Like 1

On 10/09/2019 at 4:47 PM, cwt said:

Bit harder than that ; op was wanting comparisons with MCA power amps :)

I would be interested in hearing comparisons for any and all variants. I just found it interesting going from the Anthem MRX inbuilt amp to an external Emotiva amp there was a noticeable difference to the sound. Granted I have not had the chance to run ARC again with the power amp to see if it 'restores' the original Anthem sound but I'd be curious to know. It would also be interesting to hear if anyone has done a direct comparison of the sound differences between an Anthem MRX inbuilt amp and the Anthem power amps e.g. MCA, P, STR etc series. I would expect it would preserve the original warmth and detail with greater soundstage added but who knows for sure...

4 hours ago, OzJustin said:

I would be interested in hearing comparisons for any and all variants. I just found it interesting going from the Anthem MRX inbuilt amp to an external Emotiva amp there was a noticeable difference to the sound. Granted I have not had the chance to run ARC again with the power amp to see if it 'restores' the original Anthem sound but I'd be curious to know. It would also be interesting to hear if anyone has done a direct comparison of the sound differences between an Anthem MRX inbuilt amp and the Anthem power amps e.g. MCA, P, STR etc series. I would expect it would preserve the original warmth and detail with greater soundstage added but who knows for sure...

Just as a general overview Justin any of the power amp options would be an improvement depending on how hard your speakers are to drive [ the avr's use class d as well as a/b to help the smaller power supply] You will more likely get ' all channels driven' specs with a power amp  ; and more headroom for transients .

Also generally the Elektra has the advantage for atmos etc of being 7ch rather than 5 and good value looking at the MCA 525 ; https://sydneyhifimonavale.com.au/products/anthem-mca-525-power-amplifier . potentially one less chassis for 7.1.4 too :) The Emo XPA mk3s are configurable if 1 box is best and are class H so very efficient compared to class a/b  ;)

At very low power levels, their efficiency is very similar to Class A/B (a tiny bit better).
And, at full power, their efficiency is also quite similar.
However, at medium power levels, which is where most amplifiers operate most of the time, they are significantly more efficient.

Thanks for that CWT. Having recently upgraded to an Emotiva 5 channel power amp I can certainly attest to the extra power (room filling sound) that it provides. The actual sonic quality and detail of sound doesn’t seem quite as high as the inbuilt Anthem amp though. That was why I was curious what other Anthem owners found when plugging in a separate power amp.

• Like 1

I bought an MCA 50 when I was using a denon 4000 AVR (as the internal Denon amps were under-powered for anything more than stereo)

I now have an Anthem MRX 720, but still use the MCA 50 - why would I go backwards...... and require the 720 to run hot.

I have done some A-B testing, but not enough to make a comment.  Especially with my old ears.

Plus, my speakers aren't hard to drive (VAF soundwall)

If someone in Adelaide is desperate for a comparison, let me know.

Benje