Anthem AV Owners Thread

1 hour ago, Happy Sacks said:

So I've run ARC Genesis, but I haven't worked out how you alter the settings for the different speaker profiles within the software application yet.....meaning that all 4 speaker profiles are at the default 80Hz crossover and the LFE tops out at 120Hz. I'll have to visit Anthem's website to find it I suspect. If anyone knows how to access them please let us know.

In preferences, need to enable professional setup.  In Step 3, Adjust ARC settings, have screen with 4 profiles which you can enable.  You can adjust settings e.g. crossover etc.  for each profile.

• Like 2

Here are some screencaps of the new ARC Genesis interface. Compared to the previous version (ARC 2), the interface is much more cleaner and exude a more "pro" look and feel. As you can see, Anthem is trying to emulate D&M setup user interface depicting the diagram to the right to "prompt" the user to move from one calibration position to the next. The design interface is touch-friendly meaning you can use your fat finger or a stylus to move around with ease. No more squinting of eyes to struggle and see the wordings.

The most interesting section of this new version of ARC is the ability to adjust Max EQ frequency for each individual speaker group (e.g. Dolby Atmos height speakers or just the Surround channels) from 200Hz all the way up to 5kHz or higher (though not advisable as too high, the frequency range becomes more "audible" - localized). You can now have more granular control over the Room Gain by only affecting a certain range of frequency instead of the entire range. There is a "new" feature called, Deep Bass Boost which allows one to build a unique "house curve" by adding a few db to the lower range and once again, you can choose to set the epicenter of the frequency range for the Deep Bass Boost to take effect. This is especially useful if you want that ULF kick below human audible range starting from  80Hz and below with adjustable gain up to +6db.

There is also another "new" feature called, Tilt level which I still can't figure out what it does...probably affect one end of the spectrum with an equal and opposite gain/attenuation at the other end. Not sure what it is for...Need to explore more.

For the very first time, individual speaker has its very own high-frequency roll-off to complement the LFE crossover (bass management). What Anthem does is it will take each speaker natural low frequency roll-off and the subwoofer(s) high frequency roll-off to determine the optimal HL and LF roll-off from speakers to the subwoofers and this is "crown jewel" of ARC that differentiate itself from the more traditional Room EQ found in Audyssey, AccuEQ Phase, YPAO and MCACC...

Very nice !

I have the same options on the lyngdorf to use “natural roll off”, for each speakers. Quite interesting, a lot of the folks in Europe are using this feature, bass is still being defined on the aspect of what gets sent to bass management plus the speakers will receive the full range signal and be allowed to roll off naturally according to its characteristics... the Eq programme also phase aligns the speakers with subs, this is the part where RP does a good job, check out that one on the ARC

This feature is commonly found on Denon or Onkyo as LFE + Mains, double bass...

One noted problem with this is bloated bass, but I believe the EQ programme does something different to make it sound good and less bloated,  check that as well, I haven’t tried this feature

I subscribed to the idea that subwoofers are better off handling frequency below 100hz, leave the headroom for the mains for it to cruise and be relieved of any bass duties down till its roll off frequency

There is also a lot of capable full range speakers out there that can do a good job down 20hz ...

I have had no need to try the Beta version.

It took me just on an hour to measure all four profiles (one stereo only) in a 5.1 system.

It is pretty fast IMHO

Edited by warroon

On 12/05/2019 at 8:20 PM, Snoopy8 said:

In preferences, need to enable professional setup.  In Step 3, Adjust ARC settings, have screen with 4 profiles which you can enable.  You can adjust settings e.g. crossover etc.  for each profile.

Yes it is honestly pretty confusing. It took me a while to figure that.

Did anyone find where  you can setup the speaker distance in it, or can only do it on the Anthem itself?

I found the levels it set straight up seemed better than what it did with ARC.

37 minutes ago, Mobe1969 said:

Did anyone find where  you can setup the speaker distance in it, or can only do it on the Anthem itself?

Distance is set up in unit itself;  ARC does not touch this.

• Like 1

I have had no need to try the Beta version.

It too me just on an hour to measure all four profiles (one stereo only) in a 5.1 system.

It is pretty fast IMHO

Thats good to know thanks :)

On 12/05/2019 at 8:20 PM, Snoopy8 said:

Thanks Snoopster ?.......all sorted.  I did another set of measurements and found it far too heavy-handed in the bottom end. Nice being able to pull up the ARC file from the other day where the results more to my liking, then activate and create 3 other speaker profiles based upon those measurements. Being able to adjust the curves is helpful. 

The best part of course is that ARC Genesis is but in its infancy. Just as we've seen quite a few firmware updates for our UHD 4K players, I'm sure we'll see a few software updates for this version of ARC as they further refine it. 

Edited by Happy Sacks
  • Like 1

On 14/05/2019 at 1:37 PM, Snoopy8 said:

Distance is set up in unit itself;  ARC does not touch this.

Thanks. Odd. I'm on the Bass Equalization thread at AVS so use a minidsp for bass correction of some movies. It introduces a minor delay and was advised this needs to be corrected with a profile adding extra distance for the sub. And given distance is against profile, you'd think you could adjust it in ARC.

53 minutes ago, Mobe1969 said:

Thanks. Odd. I'm on the Bass Equalization thread at AVS so use a minidsp for bass correction of some movies. It introduces a minor delay and was advised this needs to be corrected with a profile adding extra distance for the sub. And given distance is against profile, you'd think you could adjust it in ARC.

Bass equalisation with certain movies!  Not something I would have considered.

Easy to go to setup & change distance for a certain movies...

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

Bass equalisation with certain movies!  Not something I would have considered.

Easy to go to setup & change distance for a certain movies...

It sent me a bit nuts discovering that thread. Not what they do, but why they have to. And even ignoring the idiocy of recent disney audio mixes, seeing what they do to some movies where you can compare the spectrum of the original Blu Ray release and the remastered Blu Ray, it is utterly insane. Take the Atmos remix of Hellboy 2, They deliberately filtered bass out. There are so many movies this happens to, and the results of correcting it can be amazing, like First Man. The reason people give for why studios are doing this is rubbish fake Atmos soundbars, but that makes no logical sense. If soundbars was the reason for altering mixes. They would boost the bass as soundbars have a garbage low end response that even for a great one rolls off at 60hz. But no, the do the opposite to make the bass worse.

I'm not joking, it is the one thing in this crazy world that really drives me nuts with the illogicality of it. Even politics makes more logical sense. If the reason people gave was they ant the home video releases to sound like garbage to encourage 0eolle to go to smelly theaters, I'd understand. It would make some sort of sense.

Anthem is really going forward with their new ARC Genesis...here's the beta release. Mostly fixes.

Full changelog for this version 1.1.0.8908:

- added support for many older Paradigm Subwoofers (8872): DSP-3100, DSP-3200, DSP-3400, Signature SUB 25, Monitor SUB 10, Monitor SUB 12, Monitor SUB 8, SE Sub, SUB 1, SUB 2, SUB 12, SUB 15, UltraCube 10, UltraCube 12, X-300

- MacOS: fixed an issue where microphones with serial number less than roughly 308000 would incorrectly measure at the maximum microphone volume (1410)

- fixed issue where ARC Genesis would measure 3 dB lower than ARC2 (1410)

- fixed an issue where ARC Genesis would not release exclusive control when leaving quick measure (1376)

- fixed an issue where ARC would claim to have downloaded the microphone calibration file, but it actually failed. (1405)

- MacOS: minor correctness fix in the face of errors when enumerating usb devices (650 and 800)

- MacOS: improved robustness of USB device support (650 and 800)

- fixed clicking cancel in the open file screen causes the app to crash (1392)

- fixed Tilt Start Frequency displays incorrect information in the PDF report (1418)

- fixed an app crash that occured if you clicked 'cancel' after getting communication errors during the connecting screen (1424)

- fixed issue where app could crash after audio errors during measurement and the user went back to the home screen (1331)

- fixed an issue where scrollbars where not always showing in dropdowns (1411)

- fixed an issue where the 'Resume' was displayed instead of 'Start' in the measurement screen (1370)

- fixed typo correction "Currected" to "Corrected" (1409)

- added a loading indicator for quick measure initialization & removed visibility of unused graph title (1383)

- increased visibility of no microphone message

- info popup centered below info icon

- open file screen clears previous device image (1393)

- back button from mic selection screen returns to configure screen (1372)

- red error text fix for measurement screen

- fixed possible clipping in MRX x10/x20 when ARC is turned on (content dependent) (1415)

Download link: https://www.anthemarc.com/downloads/beta.php

:D

Set up ARC Genesis (ARC3) on friend's MRX-1120 today. And compared it with ARC2.  My summary ?

For movies, ARC3 improved the resolution of each channel, in particular the centre channel. Dialogue was crisp & slightly louder. With the improved resolution, the steering of sound was better. The improvement was more apparent in multi channel music using Bohemian Rhapsody DTS 24/96 on a DVD-A. Each channel was precise and clarity improved significantly over ARC2.

For 2 channel music, ARC3 showed a similar level of improvement. Sound stage was wider. The mids and bass came across better.

If you can update to ARC Genesis, do so as soon as you can.  It is a worthy upgrade which will bring a smile to you... ? 

• Like 2

Couldn’t agree more with everyone’s assessments on here. I have a MRX 1120 with an Atmos setup (Definitive Technology kit) and the difference is awesome with Genesis.

Previously I had to manually bump up the volume on the surround and in particular the height channels to get the pop I wanted. Genesis sorts this out.

Dialogue is much crisper and overall soundstage wider. The new software is much nicer to use too and some seemingly minor improvements make a big difference (like being able to do one speaker instead of having to do the whole thing). Overall very impressed and worth doing ASAP.

• Like 2

On 25/05/2019 at 9:03 PM, Neg99 said:

Couldn’t agree more with everyone’s assessments on here. I have a MRX 1120 with an Atmos setup (Definitive Technology kit) and the difference is awesome with Genesis.

Previously I had to manually bump up the volume on the surround and in particular the height channels to get the pop I wanted. Genesis sorts this out.

Dialogue is much crisper and overall soundstage wider. The new software is much nicer to use too and some seemingly minor improvements make a big difference (like being able to do one speaker instead of having to do the whole thing). Overall very impressed and worth doing ASAP.

So it wasn't just me that felt the levels are better with Genesis. I had previously done the same, and had to bump them as well, but not now.

• Like 1

So it wasn't just me that felt the levels are better with Genesis. I had previously done the same, and had to bump them as well, but not now.

Yep. Definite improvement. Even my kids (7 and 5) have noticed the difference. Definitely makes me feel better about the time in the ceiling putting the atmos speakers in :):):).
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys.

Im about to run Genisis for the second time.

First run i did a week ago. 

I followed some suggestions from the anthem website.

• WHENEVER POSSIBLE, vary the mic height for the 2nd through 5th positions, with two measurements being 6 to 12-inches below the 1st position and the other two measurements 6 to 12-inches above the height of the 1st position. This method provides ARC with a more three-dimensional view of the room and its acoustic signature.

Do you guys do this when adjusting the mic? 6 inches below then 6 inches above?

I tried it last week. Sounded off. My centre channel sounded overly loud . and even my mains didnt sound as good . 

How do you gys position your mic ?

with one 3 seater , i do an X . 

First the centre , then right side back , then left side back , then right side front then left side front

3 minutes ago, Isaac Otaiza said:

How do you gys position your mic ?

with one 3 seater , i do an X . 

First the centre , then right side back , then left side back , then right side front then left side front

We did the standard 5 measurements because we did not have a lot of time.  It sounded good with 5. 

Usually more measurements will give you a better average.  For example, Dirac Live takes 17 measurements, starting with the main listening position and then a rectangular box of four in front at 2 heights and four behind at 2 heights.  I suspect something went wrong in your measurements which led to errors.

Interesting.  I only have a 3 seater lounge. So 5 positions has being enough. I might try doing more. Problem is you need to space each position by 2 feet from memory.  That makes it hard to find new positions. 

My previous runs have being spot on. Really good sound.

The problem is either , raising the mic 6 inches and lowering it 6 inches as recommended or im thinking it could be the acoustic foam i placed over one side in a 2m x 2m area. Ill do another run today with more positions. If no change ill remove the acoustic foam .

One more question.

Ive noticed ARC sets all my channel levels at 80dB ?

Thats according to REW SPL meter w/  a calibrated Umik

Shouldnt ARC set all levels to 75dB? 

ie 30 dB less than reference level (105dB) is 75dB