Anthem AV Owners Thread

1 hour ago, Spoctordock said:

I actually have an anthem mrx 300 without the arc gear but just bought a mrx 700 second hand with the arc gear (sans serial lead).

Is the Anthem 700 calibrated microphone suitable to use on the anthem 300?

All you need  is the file for the 700 microphone based on serial number.  It should work on the 300.  As far as I know, a serial RS232 cable is all you need.  Anthem are usually good with customer support, so suggest contacting them as well..

P/s have not personally used the serial based ARC1, only USB ARC2. On the software side they are largely similar, but the hardware i.e. connection and cable are different. @recur  is the person who knows more about ARC1 but not active on forum.

Can I jump on the ARC1 bandwagon here?!

Tried my AVM50 again last night and ARC software cannot find the receiver. Never has. I've tried a couple serial to USB adapters also and none work.
Ofcourse my laptop just has USB..
I know it's meant to support 2 stop bits but still doesn't work. Tried changing com port assignment etc.
Nada.

Located St Lucia, Brisbane

[mention=151520]OzJustin[/mention] aha!
We May be able to help each other. I’m in a similar situation. I have a 2nd hand anthem mrx 300 too. I have an older computer with the serial port but don’t have the serial lead that comes with the Anthem.
Im in Bridgeman Downs, Brisbane.
perhaps we could pool our resources. I could lend you the computer or perhaps you could lend me the lead first and see if I have any success.
let me know your thoughts.

56 minutes ago, Neilsy said:

Tried my AVM50 again last night and ARC software cannot find the receiver. Never has. I've tried a couple serial to USB adapters also and none work.

Were the USB adaptors name brands? If so, would you know what chipset they used?  Trying to eliminate some brands, chipsets to help others, just in case people are tempted to try a cheaper option to Keyspan.

I'll have to come back to you the brand when I'm next at my theatre!
Wasn't super cheap.. $30-35 from Jaycar.
The other was an old generic serial to USB, which I knew was unlikely to work

Were the USB adaptors name brands? If so, would you know what chipset they used?  Trying to eliminate some brands, chipsets to help others, just in case people are tempted to try a cheaper option to Keyspan.

17 minutes ago, Neilsy said:

Wasn't super cheap.. $30-35 from Jaycar.

Not ARC related, but had problems with the Jaycar adaptor as well, wouldn't connect with my Behringer unit. Fortunately, made sure it was in perfect condition, including packaging and they refunded.  (And this was how I learnt how temperamental USB to serial was, did not know about Keyspan then).

Edited by Snoopy8
Typo

Wow what a can of worms I’ve opened with our older Anthem gear. I’ve been able to borrow an older PC with a serial input so can use my ARC1 serial cable without a Keyspan USB adaptor. I successfully updated my MRX300’s firmware to the latest version (v50.25 EU) last night.

Upon running the ARC1 software (latest v3.02) I cannot get it to work with my microphone. I have placed the calibration file which matches my microphone serial number in the ARC software folder. It all initialises and then when ARC is about to start the calibration my receiver shuts down and I get the ARC error ‘Measurement procedure failed. Failed to initialise Wave audio capture device’. Any ideas what I’m doing wrong?

If I can get it running I’m happy to lend my ARC kit to Brisbane forum members. :) 

43 minutes ago, OzJustin said:

Wow what a can of worms I’ve opened with our older Anthem gear. I’ve been able to borrow an older PC with a serial input so can use my ARC1 serial cable without a Keyspan USB adaptor. I successfully updated my MRX300’s firmware to the latest version (v50.25 EU) last night.

Upon running the ARC1 software (latest v3.02) I cannot get it to work with my microphone. I have placed the calibration file which matches my microphone serial number in the ARC software folder. It all initialises and then when ARC is about to start the calibration my receiver shuts down and I get the ARC error ‘Measurement procedure failed. Failed to initialise Wave audio capture device’. Any ideas what I’m doing wrong?

If I can get it running I’m happy to lend my ARC kit to Brisbane forum members. :) 

Check that the connects are clean.  Does Windows recognise the serial port?  And are serial settings per manual?  And does it need a specific Win driver?  (Sorry, no hands on with serial version of ARC,  so can only give generic advice!).

Also suggest contacting Anthem. Maybe there is a specific version that should be used with older microphones?

10 hours ago, Snoopy8 said:

Check that the connects are clean.  Does Windows recognise the serial port?  And are serial settings per manual?  And does it need a specific Win driver?  (Sorry, no hands on with serial version of ARC,  so can only give generic advice!).

Also suggest contacting Anthem. Maybe there is a specific version that should be used with older microphones?

Thanks for the suggestions. I’m using the latest ARC1 software (v3.02) directly from the Anthem website for the MRX300. Given I was able to successfully update my firmware using the serial cable I think it’s safe to say it is working (no drivers needed). When I plug in the USB microphone cable to my pc Windows 10 recognises it and says it has been installed correctly (seemingly auto installing any necessary driver). It’s as if the link between the microphone and pc/receiver is not working correctly. If another Brisbane member has an ARC mic I could borrow I’m thinking that is my best next step. Is there any difference between the microphones for the ARC1 and ARC2 kits?

2 minutes ago, OzJustin said:

Is there any difference between the microphones for the ARC1 and ARC2 kits?

They look the same, but there are internal changes over the years.  My ARC2 microphone was an earlier model which had problems with some Win versions and/or ARC software, but these problems did not appear in later models.

Hence,  my suggestion to email Anthem with all your information including serial number. They should be able to advise on compatibility issues.

8 minutes ago, OzJustin said:

When I plug in the USB microphone cable to my pc Windows 10 recognises it and says it has been installed correctly (seemingly auto installing any necessary driver).

You have more faith in Win 10 than me.  Drivers have caused more problems than probably anything else.  Win 10 is better than previous versions, but it is still dependent on many hardware and software pieces playing nice, and third parties knowing their stuff.

• Like 1

Hallelujahs hallelujah ad infinitum.

I got it to work! On both my mrx 700 and mrx 300!

I bought a serial cable from Altronics ($9).

Updated the amps firmware via said cable.

Downloaded most recent Arc 1 software.

Windows 10 recognised and installed the microphone.

Only hiccup was me ignoring the microphone calibration file.

When I finally located the microphone calibration file and put it in the Anthem folder - hey presto.

So Brisbane, Gents, it can be done! I’m happy to assist or lend out any of the equipment I used.

And a big Thankyou Snoopy8 Sensei.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Something odd happened just now as I post using using the Tapatalk app and now the entire thread has gone missing. Very unfortunate. All the useful information from the original thread had gone missing after I did a post about half an hour ago. Sigh.

Anyway life goes on. This 2nd thread will allow members to continue post and share their views, comments and questions in relation to Anthem AVR.

Caution: be careful using Tapatalk app when doing your posting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

is it the one that we went to your place for demo and your audyssey explanation?

Yep...unfortunately.  :'(

Be careful to those using Tapatalk app to make posting, especially when you are the thread starter.

Firstly, thanks Desray for inviting today for the demo. We definitely had a great chat on Audyssey and some other room correction methodology. It’s been a great afternoon.

I've to disclaim first, as a HT system dealer myself, any feedback does not constitute that i am "angkat-ing", "sar kah-ing" or deliberately “praising” desray setup just because he is the moderator and I am a dealer, neither am I in any occasion judging any of his rig that it is no good, and that, he should be using whatsoever equipment that I should be recommending as a dealer.

First off, the room – the room is dark, which is great for movie for sure. It is adequately treated, carpeted, with corners traps and some acoustic panels. Not huge traps or panels, but definitely sufficient enough to “catch” or “tame” unnecessary sound reflections. 2 recliners side by side…and the first thing you will be wondering, where is the MLP ?. Front stage is pretty nice, small computer screen below knee level, screen at eye level with center speaker in between. Towers slightly toed, with surrounds, back surrounds, atmos upfiring speakers, sub placement is diagonal upper left to back right when facing screen, placement seem well positioned. I wouldn’t doubt if its correct or wrong since AV enthusiast definitely try to follow white papers as closely as possible unless limited by awkward room layouts.

PQ – the PQ is simply amazing! The colors are vivid, and definitely sharp! Few occasions I asked, “is this in 4k?” but actually in 1080…this shows that the quality is simply amazing… the black level is superb. No doubt about its black color. Definitely live up to its name. It simply shows what it supposed to show, what it is intended to show from film maker point of view, no need to adjust the sharpness level (I guess) or the contrast in order to see the slightest details... playing movie in 24hz is just like what is being watched in cinema, simply awesome! One thing that is unusual for me is the display lag when switching between the menu and movie…. But for the great PQ, nothing to complain about.

SQ – Doesn’t play loud, the loudness is also where it supposed to be intended. Can distinctively hear the crisp and high frequencies…cos the room is treated, or just as simply as different room correction method (Audy vs ARC), maybe the room is small so easier to control, or cos my personal setup is in the living hall which is more challenging to notice any difference? A bit lacking in the midbass maybe? but I don’t think we played any “midsbass” movie hence nothing to compare also…In my most honest opinion, any room correction is just as great! Why ? Because Desray will educate you from scratch when you have a chance to visit him, Hence the best answer is for you guys to find out yourselves, go with open mind and absorb like sponge lol.

Up Firing Atmos, you will be surprise how great it sounded. Whoever tells you that upfiring is no good, you should go with discreet in ceiling channel etc etc, its just personal opinions… it is up to personal preference and most important, how to make the best out of your existing room modes is the most important. Since the room height is not really high, I think the best for that kind of situation is upfiring already. Its just as good as inceiling.

The bass is adequate for the room size for sure.. not loud, just nice… nice enough to make my leg hair move is good enough :D, bass shaker installed, I like them! It add to a bit of a tactile experience for lower frequencies… did a little test of switching the shakers off, quite surprise that actually the bass shaker is not needed at all… but its this kind of nitty gritty details that add on to an overall experience. ?

The setup of not playing loud reminds me of BadEnglish setup. BadEnglish stereo is one of the best I’ve heard. Gotta hear to believe. Kennyluck2000’s bass can send your heart out to the moon and back, djblackfm midbass, surround, low frequencies all up another level, Rock123’s 150 inch screen setup is enough to fill your left to right views..… so on and so fourth… Desray, BadEnglish, Kennyluck2000 and many others, we cant deny that speaker positioning is the utmost important. To make the best use out of the room modes and speaker positioning in any awkward layout, and giving any room correction methods the opportunity to calibrate all position and doing it correctly can definitely yield satisfactory results.

Overall experience – Absolutely pleasant! Movies played are: A Quiet Place, Ready Player One, Live by Night, Goosebumps, Great Wall.. I think that’s it, good enough to showcase the bass, mains, surrounds and heights. It’s not harsh and loud and definitely not “whack all you can” kind of feeling. I love it! I should start hearing in lower db from now on lol…

We did more knowledge sharing than demos, question fired and answered, pondering question which makes yourself answering to your own question is fun! I would agree with desray that without really spending quality time to review a product or demo session, which is the main thing that keeps the forum alive, with the necessary sufficient information can be beneficial to other forum members or new members.

I’ll try to do more reviews like this whenever I visit members place for demos, and if I have the opportunities to play with new products. I may not be a strong reviewer, but I guess honest opinion from my personal point of view as a member and not a dealer will be sufficient enough to raise more questions and answers.

Thanks once again for the invite. And thank you all for reading such long post.

Thanks winwinc81 for reposting your thoughts. For me, I'm actually more saddened by the fact that some of the more important salient points in my review which I have captured were lost. While it is sad for me but I take comfort that at least I did not accidentally remove other member's thread using the Tapatalk app. For that, I can never forgive myself.

arc-genesis-logo.svg

arc-mac-os.png  arc-win-os.png

The new ARC Genesis coming soon in Apr this year...to get notified via email, go here: https://www.anthemav.com/support/arc-genesis.php

New Features Include

- Improved User Interface

- Supports both Mac & Windows

- Improved Algorithms

- New Target Curve Adjustments

- Save, Stop, Start and Resume

- Remeasure Individual Speakers

;)

Thanks winwinc81 for reposting your thoughts. For me, I'm actually more saddened by the fact that some of the more important salient points in my review which I have captured were lost. While it is sad for me but I take comfort that at least I did not accidentally remove other member's thread using the Tapatalk app. For that, I can never forgive myself.

You can always rewrite from present perspective. ?

You can always rewrite from present perspective. [emoji51]

It’s a lesson learnt. It takes a lot of effort and time to do reviews. So it is kind of a bummer for me. Let’s continue to keep this thread alive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Today Peng came to my place check Rythmik E15hp . Woofer is working fine. But the muffled sound was cause by sub woofer placement and centre speaker produce a bit of low frequency. . After Peng suggest to 1 to 1 swap placement,  sound so much better.  He also guide me how to tune the subwoofer. And try to improve my environment as i have a lot of glass panel.

I also need to recalibrate anthem 1120..

Thank you Peng..

Where can i purchase miniDsp. I need to Tune 2 subwoofer for low frequency  and very low frequency