Anthem AV Owners Thread

10 hours ago, Toothdoc said:

Hey guys been trying all the modes again. The dolby pl2 sounds amazing. But I find that when there's dialogue the surround speakers emit scratching sounds. Does anyone have this issue? 

Check speaker cabling, mounts on speakers, possibly something loose. Also check mounts on Anthem side.

Hi guys

I just ordered my first Anthem avm60. 

I plan on running 7.1 channels. 2x fronts via xlr on my Odyssy kismit monos . Centre speaker via xlr on another mono ..the rest of my surround speakers will go to a 5 channel emotiva amp via RCA.

My concern is this: i was told running some channels using xlr then other channels RCA to other amps will damage the Anthem avm60

Or atleast will effect audio drastically

Is there truth to this? I emailed anthem to make sure still no reply that was 2 wks ago.

Cheers

28 minutes ago, Isaac Otaiza said:

Hi guys

I just ordered my first Anthem avm60. 

I plan on running 7.1 channels. 2x fronts via xlr on my Odyssy kismit monos . Centre speaker via xlr on another mono ..the rest of my surround speakers will go to a 5 channel emotiva amp via RCA.

My concern is this: i was told running some channels using xlr then other channels RCA to other amps will damage the Anthem avm60

Or atleast will effect audio drastically

Is there truth to this? I emailed anthem to make sure still no reply that was 2 wks ago.

Cheers

You can run both XLR and RCA at the same time. However, you will need to adjust the volume on the amps to adjust for the difference of 6 dB. You use Quick Measure to do this (note video shows subs, but use same tool for other speakers).

Anthem have been useless with answering questions because they dropped the ball when their primary support person left and all support questions were left unassigned. Hopefully they have sorted this out.

note if you end up with significant imbalances that means eq system is struggling to make adjustments (usually shown by close to maxed trims. then in line attenuators might be needed. 

http://www.decibelhifi.com.au/attenuators/

the xlr ones likely need are quite expensive.

http://www.decibelhifi.com.au/rothwell-xlr-balanced-audio-attenuators-pair/

note i have read of some issues with signal level with emotivas (specific models) which causes problems with mixing and matching with other brands i hope isnt the case here ... but something fixed by attenuators if get in a bother

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

You can run both XLR and RCA at the same time. However, you will need to adjust the volume on the amps to adjust for the difference of 6 dB. You use Quick Measure to do this (note video shows subs, but use same tool for other speakers).

Anthem have been useless with answering questions because they dropped the ball when their primary support person left and all support questions were left unassigned. Hopefully they have sorted this out.

Thks for the reply. Unfortunately the link is dead . With the 6db difference, does that mean the xlr connection will be 6db louder ? Or 6db less in volume? Are the amps volume adjustable through ARC? Cheers

2 minutes ago, Isaac Otaiza said:

Thks for the reply. Unfortunately the link is dead . With the 6db difference, does that mean the xlr connection will be 6db louder ? Or 6db less in volume? Are the amps volume adjustable through ARC? Cheers

yes typically 6db louder with XLR ... 

your amps may or may not have attenuation built in, though expect not, its rare. hence why i posted the link to the attenuators 

Thks. I saved the links. If there is a major difference between front and rear and i cant adjust it via trim levels then ill look at the attenuators. I would of thought ARC would easily adjust the difference through calibration though. 

6 minutes ago, Isaac Otaiza said:

Thks. I saved the links. If there is a major difference between front and rear and i cant adjust it via trim levels then ill look at the attenuators. I would of thought ARC would easily adjust the difference through calibration though. 

just depends... as mentioned the trims are really there to level up for small differences tend to have due to location of speakers, efficiencies etc, but not equipment imbalances due to massive signal level differences on top of that... which can lead to be maxed out in trims. I suspect will be fine but am also aware of some signal level issues with emotivas to start with (specific model related) hence the suggestion and attenuators can be handy to have up the sleeve if needed.

25 minutes ago, Isaac Otaiza said:

Sorry about the link, was working not too long ago. Here is another video. It is a useful tool to check for volume, allows you to test speaker, sub position etc.

ARC has a max 6 dB boost and will compensate. However, I adjust using a DSP, preferring to save my MRX 710 that task. It then gives ARC headroom to compensate for loss of volume due to being in open plan family room.

50 minutes ago, Isaac Otaiza said:

Just drop the https off the URL. It is just HTTP

http://www.pooraudiophile.com/2014/06/how-to-calibrate-dual-subwoofers-with.html

• Thanks 1

I understand. thanks for the reply. 

I guess if it is an issue , id rather stick to RCA than have to purchase attenuaters and loose 6db anyway since an attenuater will reduce not increase to balance the volume level i presume. 

My emotiva amp is the basx 5 channel 5175, so if there is an issue its probably with the basx models ..Fingers crossed anyway.

The reason i have a miss match of amps is because my initial idea was to have the Kismit amps with front psb T3s for good stereo listening which i do enjoy. And the emotiva 5 channel for the surrounds for HT. I guess its never that simple ..I wonder if if adding another amp for the centre channel will cause even more problems. Do many pre/pro owners use multiple amps with the avm-60? is it normal practise to do it this way? i have doubts now.    

27 minutes ago, Isaac Otaiza said:

I understand. thanks for the reply. 

I guess if it is an issue , id rather stick to RCA than have to purchase attenuaters and loose 6db anyway since an attenuater will reduce not increase to balance the volume level i presume. 

My emotiva amp is the basx 5 channel 5175, so if there is an issue its probably with the basx models ..Fingers crossed anyway.

The reason i have a miss match of amps is because my initial idea was to have the Kismit amps with front psb T3s for good stereo listening which i do enjoy. And the emotiva 5 channel for the surrounds for HT. I guess its never that simple ..I wonder if if adding another amp for the centre channel will cause even more problems. Do many pre/pro owners use multiple amps with the avm-60? is it normal practise to do it this way? i have doubts now.    

Suggest running ARC when you get your unit and see what happens. Use manual rather than auto and in the Target screen, you can see at the top, greyed out, the volume adjustment that ARC applies to each speaker.

37 minutes ago, Isaac Otaiza said:

Do many pre/pro owners use multiple amps with the avm-60? is it normal practise to do it this way? i have doubts now.   

not avm60 but I run 3 power amps, 2x7ch and 1x2ch for my setup

I used to just run one 7xmch and 2ch, 2 different amp makers, but i didnt like the imbalance in levels or that some channels were left RCA vs 2ch that was balanced and clearly benefitting in the noise floor with the XLR runs. so ended up moving across to all via XLR.

as per snoopy above i would just run things see where end up before deciding on otherwise. 

1 minute ago, :) al said:

not avm60 but I run 3 power amps, 2x7ch and 1x2ch for my setup

I used to just run one 7xmch and 2ch, 2 different amp makers, but i didnt like the imbalance in levels or that some channels were left RCA vs 2ch that was balanced and clearly benefitting in the noise floor with the XLR runs. so ended up moving across to all via XLR.

as per snoopy above i would just run things see where end up before deciding on otherwise. 

Thanks  for the reply. Yep ill try not to stress over it too much till all the gear arrives and up and running. Thanks for the advice

1 hour ago, Snoopy8 said:

I happen to be in contact with Anthem AV support and they recommend using the "Contact Us" link on their website and said:

"We aim for a 24 hour response time so generally speaking if you don’t hear from us within a few days we most likely did not receive the email."

1 minute ago, Snoopy8 said:

I happen to be in contact with Anthem AV support and they recommend using the "Contact Us" link on their website and said:

"We aim for a 24 hour response time so generally speaking if you don’t hear from us within a few days we most likely did not receive the email."

Thats exactly how i contacted them. but ill send another message through to make sure.

11 minutes ago, Isaac Otaiza said:

Thats exactly how i contacted them. but ill send another message through to make sure.

geez that was weird. Anthem support just replied like a min ago lol. Are they watching this thread or something lol jokes .  anyway its all good , they stated this: The main issue you would have with using RCA cables and XLR is that the XLR would be 6db louder than the RCA cables. This means that some speakers would be louder than others. However Anthem Room Correction will balance all of your levels accordingly, so you shouldn’t have any issues. Pretty much the same what you guys told me. phewww ! good news at last 

• Like 2

Hi,

I have jumped onto the MRX1120 bandwagon running a 7.1.4 setup  , still currently in the process of getting it all setup.

Just wondering has anyone had issues with HDMI 1 OUT (ARC (Audio Return Channel)) , this particular port having a number of problems with sync issues from the look of it , video randomly cuts out, sound cuts out , switching between HDMI IN - wont get picture sometimes,  even a very slight constant snow screen (tiny white dots scattering the screen).

HDMI 2 OUT on the other hand has none of these problem?

Cheers