Anthem AV Owners Thread

You need to put in the speakers distances and then you can use quick measure to adjust the volume on the sub to 75db or close. Should be right to go after than.

Is that just for the quick measure or does it apply for the whole process as well ?

Thanks

1 hour ago, franin said:

Is that just for the quick measure or does it apply for the whole process as well ?

Let me elaborate on what Simon said.

Firstly,  ARC does not measure delays of speakers, subs themselves (other packages do  but it can be inaccurate). You need to enter the speakers/subs distances within the setup of the unit to MLP (main listening position) where you are doing the measurement

The next step is to ensure that the speakers and subs have the same loudness.  There is a Quick Measure within the ARC to do this.  Do Quick Measure for Left & Right Speakers.  When you run it, it will show more or less the same average dB at the bottom.  If not, then you may need to ensure left & right are same distance to MLP.  Sometimes, room like mine , opens up one side and you lose a bit there.  Nothing you can do there.  ARC will compensate.

Then use Quick Measure to measure the subs. Ideally, they should be within 1 dB of left, right speakers.  You may need to adjust the gain at the back of the sub; Quick Measure is live, so you can see as you adjust. And of course, wear ear protection while doing all of this.

Once you have entered the distances and ensured that subs and speakers are the same loudness, you will be ready to start the ARC process proper.  Go to Measure and follow the instructions. ARC Overview will give you a good idea.

Oh okay. I have 4 subs that we’re originally plugged into the back of the Marantz with a Y xlr cable for Both subwoofer Channels. I’ve still got the Audyssey last distances for the two sub channels. I might have to use those distances.

6 minutes ago, franin said:

Oh okay. I have 4 subs that we’re originally plugged into the back of the Marantz with a Y xlr cable for Both subwoofer Channels. I’ve still got the Audyssey last distances for the two sub channels. I might have to use those distances.

A tape measure is all you need. Worthwhile to re-measure, and you do not need to be that accurate, ARC distances are 0.3m (1 ft) apart.  The other thing is ARC expects the subs to be integrated. Have a look at Calibrate dual woofers with ARC (Poor Audiophile),   This is minimum you need to do (and it uses Quick Measure! :)).  

7 hours ago, franin said:

Sorry One more question so I have to adjust the phase as well as mentioned on that link ? I was told ARC 2 handles that.

ARC treats multiple subs as 1 integrated sub, even though it has 2  sub ports (in parallel) on AVM60.  It will adjust the phase of the multiple subs together as if it had 1 sub.

ARC treats multiple subs as 1 integrated sub, even though it has 2  sub ports (in parallel) on AVM60.  It will adjust the phase of the multiple subs together as if it had 1 sub.

That’s good.

3 hours ago, franin said:

Hey guys another I’m looking at ordering a longer USB cable for the mic to the computer. Will that affect the results if the cable is quite long ?

The supplied cable is quite long. Surely you can place the laptop in the center?  How big is your room ???

13 minutes ago, franin said:

Don’t want too be in the room as my AV Gear is in another room.

Have a look at this, the limit for the ARC low speed cable is 3m.

http://www.ebay.com.au/gds/USB-Cable-Length-Limitations-and-how-to-break-them-/10000000001067998/g.html

Still think it is easier if you use a laptop with existing cable..

On 02/03/2018 at 3:47 AM, DarkNark said:

I can't see why you would run virtualisation software on your Mac when you can buy a laptop with Windows 10 installed for the same price that you can download Windows 10.

While certainly a solution for some, the limited periods wouldn't suit me. 

No I don’t think you can buy a windows machine for nothing. Some might think that’s more than their worth but that’s a little off topic.

What I said was Mac users don’t need to buy a physical windows host to run ARC. They can run windows in a virtual environment. Many Mac users will already have vmware or parallels and run any windows software they need this way already. Otherwise they can download virtualbox from Oracle (for free), load a developer windows image from MS (for free) and run ARC.

The dev images are good for several months, after which you can always download a new one. If you only need to do a one-off or rare task like run ARC to setup your equipment then it’s a handy thing.

If your room EQ is changing everyday, because... you live on a park bench or something. Then perhaps this isn’t for you. But then you probably have more important issues to worry about like your rummy mates selling your Anthem, or the damn 9pm sprinklers going off every Wednesday.

;)

33 minutes ago, franin said:

Can I use with my 4 subs the XLR SUB 1 AND SUB 2 also the RCA SUB 1 and SUB 2 at the same time ?

Maybe?

I want to biamplify some of my speakers. Can I use the RCA outputs on the preamp to feed some amp channels and the XLR outputs to feed others?

Although they put out a signal simultaneously, using them for biamplification will cause an imbalance since the XLR outputs are louder. It's a lot simpler to just use a Y-splitter.

This came from the FAQs.  While this is referring to bi-amping, I think the same principle applies because there is an imbalance.  If you can adjust for the imbalance, it is theoretically possible? 

• Like 1

Thanks for that. That is right actually I remember reading awhile back that RCA and XLR run at different volumes. I’ll stick with my Y Splitter.

Still waiting for my call when my Anthem arrives. I’m having withdrawal symptoms

Guest DarkNark
18 hours ago, Gridmon said:
No I don’t think you can buy a windows machine for nothing

Ok

Edited by DarkNark
Play nice

Guest DarkNark

Still waiting for my call when my Anthem arrives. I’m having withdrawal symptoms

Good luck with it all. Keep us informed with how you progress. I hope you are impressed with the ARC system as much as I was. It was a stunning change for my system the first time I ran it. [emoji4]

On 3/2/2018 at 2:34 PM, Snoopy8 said:

Sorry, mentioned earlier but not in later posts.  Suggest having in profiles:

• Standard
  • Full L&R Max Eq 300 Hz
  • Full L&R Max Eq 500 Hz
  • Full L&R&C Max Eq 500 Hz  (changed this from earlier suggestion to include centre).

@SimonNo10  interested in your feedback, even negative, so that others can learn from it.

Good luck with it all. Keep us informed with how you progress. I hope you are impressed with the ARC system as much as I was. It was a stunning change for my system the first time I ran it. [emoji4]

Thanks mate. I hope so too :)