Anthem AV Owners Thread

16 hours ago, Snoopy8 said:

Also, you can assign ARC profiles to the inputs, allowing you to experiment with different target settings.

Can you do an Arc profile with no correction applied to front left/right speakers just like in Audyssey where you can turn Audyssey off for front left/right? I don't recall being a check box option in the Arc software like there is for all the other speakers.

After an afternoon with no one home was able to let the 720 loose, it is better with ARC on for music concerts, have Genisis when in Rome on at the moment and ARC brings in the bass and better vocals.

For 2 channel music I'm not inspired by it, it needs a pure direct mode like other AVRs maybe be better with separate dac going into analog inputs. It's a surround device first and 2 channel for convenience I suppose just a shame though that it can't compete in 2 channel mode with an Integra 30.4 and 30.5 with poweramp, that's the best avr with 2 channel performance I have heard so far. 

Anyway it definitely excels in what it is probably primarily designed for.

2 subs are working very well also, don't feel the need for a Mini dsp.

I reckon you need to get rid of that old Anthem AVR and get a Yamaha RXA 3060/70, they have a Pure Direct Mode and man does it sound good for 2-channel. ... :angel:

cheers Terry

Edited by TerryO
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, powerav said:

Can you do an Arc profile with no correction applied to front left/right speakers just like in Audyssey where you can turn Audyssey off for front left/right? I don't recall being a check box option in the Arc software like there is for all the other speakers.

You can switch ARC on/off within the Inputs.  For an input with ARC on, you can then determine which ARC profile (you have 4) to apply.  Profiles allow you experiment how ARC is applied. eg.one profile may have full speakers, another may have different crossovers, another for stereo etc.

4 hours ago, powerav said:

For 2 channel music I'm not inspired by it, it needs a pure direct mode like other AVRs maybe be better with separate dac going into analog inputs. It's a surround device first and 2 channel for convenience I suppose just a shame though that it can't compete in 2 channel mode with an Integra 30.4 and 30.5 with poweramp, that's the best avr with 2 channel performance I have heard so far.

It is good that you are testing the limits of what stereo can do, something I did not have to do.  Suggest you contact Anthem to get further advice on how to maximise stereo performance.

2 channel can't even get close to this anyway :thumb:

IMG_0863.JPG

IMG_0864.JPG

I have the SACDs and also the 24/96 2 channel flac versions of them.  Since yesterday, I can also play the 2 channel DSDs in native format. 

So far in limited testing, I think 2 channel DSD is better than 24/96 flac.  Still debating whether 2 channel DSD is better or not than 5 channel DSD on MRX-710 (DSD converted to PCM in order for ARC to work).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

DSD converted to PCM in order for ARC to work).

Yeah all mine are pcm multichannel, they sound so good I don't care about testing anything else.

I also have a few bluray audios that I haven't had a chance to check out yet.

I am not sure if I will worry about all the different Arc profiles, sounds line a bit of minefield.

When you get your new dac you should connect to the anthem analog audio in before connecting to your 2 channel system just to see how the anthem goes in pure analog mode.

7 minutes ago, powerav said:

Yeah all mine are pcm multichannel, they sound so good I don't care about testing anything else.

I also have a few bluray audios that I haven't had a chance to check out yet.

I am not sure if I will worry about all the different Arc profiles, sounds line a bit of minefield.

When you get your new dac you should connect to the anthem analog audio in before connecting to your 2 channel system just to see how the anthem goes in pure analog mode.

Blurau audio is also very good. I did a compare of DTS HDMA vs 5.1 PCM with surprising results here:

Generating different Profiles is very easy in ARC and you can test them with various inputs, change them.  By no means a minefield.  Who knows, you may discover something you may like.

My DAC now has only usb out only.  I did try it with my previous DAC (sold it today) and I tried no analog processing then. Have very simple and direct feed from DAC via XLR cables to powered speakers. Adding the MRX-710 complicated the chain big time and affected the sound.  Chain became DAC via RCA cables to MRX-710 via RCA cables to powered speakers.  Did not help when I use moderately priced RCAs (& wasn't keen to spend $$ just for testing). 

8 minutes ago, digitalhome said:

I agree!

Gee whiz you all told me to get a Anthem now you are all telling me to get a Yamaha :ohmy: if the Anthem sells than I would give the Yamaha a go. The lack of fancy room correction in the Yamaha does appeal. Maybe some one can do a swap.

• Like 1

Gee whiz you all told me to get a Anthem now you are all telling me to get a Yamaha :ohmy: if the Anthem sells than I would give the Yamaha a go. The lack of fancy room correction in the Yamaha does appeal. Maybe some one can do a swap.

haha...don't listen! You seem (mostly) happy with the Anthem, now sit back and enjoy the system mate.

1 hour ago, jamiebosco said:

haha...don't listen! You seem (mostly) happy with the Anthem, now sit back and enjoy the system mate.

I agree this site has gotten me into a lot of trouble,  people are very passionate about the products they purchase but hey it's fun trying different stuff.

2 hours ago, powerav said:

I agree this site has gotten me into a lot of trouble,  people are very passionate about the products they purchase but hey it's fun trying different stuff.

Holy Hell, just give your Anthem a chance, if set up correctly it will do a good job in 2 channel and no reason to look further, the so called fancy Room Correction actually works a treat  for home theatre and at this price point is the best, 2 channel doesn't need this and you have the option to bye pass it all together, this is one of the better all rounders if you'll just give it a chance and learn it's features  

Sorry but I have gone back to my first true love, Integra :popcorn::wub: tried to get a Yamaha 3070 but unfortunately the 2 HiFi stores that had them and for the price we agreed on are stuck in back in time and don't accept Paypal as a payment option, pathetic.I have a grand plan which is being worked on at the moment.

We all know Anthem is an outstanding product and the buyer of mine will be extremely happy but for me the fancy room correction systems like ARC and Audyssey just don't sit well with me. 

1 hour ago, powerav said:

Sorry but I have gone back to my first true love, Integra :popcorn::wub: tried to get a Yamaha 3070 but unfortunately the 2 HiFi stores that had them and for the price we agreed on are stuck in back in time and don't accept Paypal as a payment option, pathetic.I have a grand plan which is being worked on at the moment.

We all know Anthem is an outstanding product and the buyer of mine will be extremely happy but for me the fancy room correction systems like ARC and Audyssey just don't sit well with me. 

Oh okay,  I once loved the Yamaha System as well and felt uncomfortable moving on to the Anthem System, end of the day I gave it a chance and have been delighted with it, all good and see ya, this has been interesting for sure and thanks!!

Edited by The Bluesman

1 hour ago, powerav said:

Does a grand plan mean a final plan or just another plan? Going integra does sound like a solid plan though considering you've owned a few. :thumb:

10 hours ago, powerav said:

I'm sure between @digitalhome and myself one of us at least could be interested to do a swap with you for your Anthem, trying different systems is always a good thing I reckon and I have two 3060's so maybe a Anthem might be a good thing to try out. 

cheers Terry

Edited by TerryO

4 minutes ago, TerryO said:

I have two 3060's so maybe a Anthem might be a good thing to try out

Sorry it's sold.

23 minutes ago, Hi-Fi Whipped said:

Does a grand plan mean a final plan or just another plan? Going integra does sound like a solid plan though considering you've owned a few. :thumb:

I'm not a wealthy man so unfortunately the Anthem left me with no funds for a dac or streamer as I think this is what it needed connected to its analog inputs.

At least with the Integra's I know music was very good over HDMI and you could use a direct mode with digital inputs or use stereo mode with subs. I am also now left with funds for a dac or streamer if needed.

I will also be getting a couple more smaller Integra's for multi room audio when moved into new house, this is a cheaper and better quality option than the multi room products that are out there.

OK no more posting in this thread as I don't own one anymore.

Just for the record the Anthem was amazing for surround channel stuff and even my 8 year old is upset it's gone also almost got divorced as well.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, powerav said:

Sorry it's sold.

I'm not a wealthy man so unfortunately the Anthem left me with no funds for a dac or streamer as I think this is what it needed connected to its analog inputs.

At least with the Integra's I know music was very good over HDMI and you could use a direct mode with digital inputs or use stereo mode with subs. I am also now left with funds for a dac or streamer if needed.

I will also be getting a couple more smaller Integra's for multi room audio when moved into new house, this is a cheaper and better quality option than the multi room products that are out there.

OK no more posting in this thread as I don't own one anymore.

Just for the record the Anthem was amazing for surround channel stuff and even my 8 year old is upset it's gone also almost got divorced as well.

16 minutes ago, powerav said:

Sorry it's sold.

It was all there screaming at you, anyway time for you to move on and see ya!!

1 minute ago, powerav said:

Your keen to get rid of me :) hopefully the thread won't die.

"OK no more posting in this thread as I don't own one anymore."

Not at all  as you led me to this thread and I found the whole thing intriguing, hey pop back In and let us know how it all went, hopefully better for you

Let me get this right, I admit I might have this right or maybe wrong, but after six odd months of buying and selling various AVR's and other bits of gear you are back where you started with a Integra AVR?

If I got it wrong please feel free to correct me.

cheers Terry

Edited by TerryO

2 minutes ago, TerryO said:

but after six odd months of buying and selling various AVR's and other bits of gear you are back where you started with a Integra AVR?

If I got it wrong please feel free to correct me.

The only thing you have wrong is the six months bit more like 3 years :) Yeah I was always surprised by the integra's performance, my biggest wow moment was going from a Yamaha A2000 to an Integra 30.5 with poweramp for front channels so got me thinking that much more expensive and highly regarded AVR's much be so much better again. Yes some were slightly better in some areas but would loose a lot of flexibility and functionality but yes I really am thinking about a multiroom setup in a new home and I already have the IT cabinet so the Integra's are perfect for that. It really has just has been about trying as much as i can while renting as I don't have much else to do.

• Like 1