Snoopy8

Anthem AV Owners Thread

We had a thread on Anthem MRX 310/510/710, models which are superseded.  Thought it would be useful to start a new one where the growing group of Anthem owners on this forum can share their experience with each other and with others exploring the Anthem range.  Suggestions for improving this post most welcome.

Anthem website: www.anthemav.com

Anthem news blog: http://blog.anthemav.com/

Anthem Room Correction (ARC): Official description

Video: Official video, ARC Overview (Home Theatre Lounge) 

Articles : Calibrate dual woofers with ARC (Poor Audiophile),

Interview with ARC developers (Audioholics)

Good summary ARC & others (ARC, Dirac rated best, Sep 17)

ARC (Secrets of Home Theatre) Pt 1, ARC + sub (Secrets of Home Theatre) Pt 2

Geeks Guide to using ARC-2 (Secrets of Home Theatre)

Super Geek Guide to Tweaking ARC-2 (Secrets of Home Theatre)

ARC-1 used on MRX x00, AVM 50V, D2V

ARC-2 used on MRX x10, MRX x20, AVM 60, STR Integrated, Pre-amp

(ARC-2 on MRX x10 has 2 profiles cf 4 in others, no slope of rolloff for target customisation of mains & centre)

Snoop's ARC Tips & Tweaks

Anthem owners: (please post if I either missed you or added you in error):

AVM50V : Tassie Devil, IXXI (3D), arftech (3D)

AVM60 : Getreal95, , SimonNo10, franin, Isaac Otaiza

D2V : recur, pezz, jrisles

Integrated 225 : JamesMay, The Bluesman

M1 : parayam, Devialet, georgehifi, ufo

MCA 20 : roboo307, doomigee2

MCA 30 : quantam_l3@p

MCA 50 : benje

MRX 310 : Naydn, Agneswaran, Tommy_tucker

MRX 510 : Cinemafan, Sound_addict, BenH, mpearce38, DarkNark

MRX 520 : Toothdoc

MRX 700 : apgood, Blackwash

MRX 710 : tigger384, skinner84, gillmaverick, snoopy8, Wonka1, woogie59, harmo_hammer, Familyguyhifi, 1224

MRX 720 : benje, bellyup, bandyka, The Bluesman, 2LOUD2OLD, zakblue, ph3ng, 

MRX 1120 : michaelharvey (review here), SNA review, Slightlyforward1503565351, Sir Triode, Mobe1969,

1120 with music, kitschcamp, CapitalK, richiey

P2 : Sterlo

PVA5 : GoudaK, ufo

Edited by Snoopy8
Updated links, owners

I had an anthem mca50 amp prior to getting the mrx720.

I still use it, but I can't honestly say whether it is much better than the 5 main amp channels in my mrx720.

It might be, and it might not be.

I have used ARC quick measure to get my subs well aligned, and have also played a 50-80 hZ test tone to check the phase of my subs with my mains.  Perhaps one day Anthem will include the little sub integration tweaks into ARC.

On 20/02/2017 at 5:51 PM, jrisles said:

D2V - jrisles

Thank you - will add you to first post once my request to edit it with no time limit is approved.

On 20/02/2017 at 7:56 PM, Benje said:

I had an anthem mca50 amp prior to getting the mrx720.

I still use it, but I can't honestly say whether it is much better than the 5 main amp channels in my mrx720.

It might be, and it might not be.

An interesting observation.  The MRX 720 does not have a toroidal power supply and rated at 140W (8 ohm), 2 channels driven.  MCA 50 with toroidal power supply, is rated at 180W (8 ohm) all channels powered.

-----------------------------------

Just upgraded my surrounds and for the first time have full range speakers in a 5.1 setup.  Movies are now a little better but the big improvement was in multi channel music (as expected).

What was interesting was tweaking ARC.  Compared default setting (front cutoff 160 Hz, centre 120 Hz, surround 80 Hz)  with setting all speakers to full range, flat response. Turns out that both my son and I prefer the latter setting.

snoopy8

I'm sure the Anthem mrx720 isn't as good as my mca50 amp - i'm just not sure it is that different.

Whereas the amps in my previous denon receiver (x-4000) for 5 channel listening were rubbish.

By the way, I'd redo the ARC again.  You must have dodgy front speakers or peculiar location if the cut-off is 160 hz, especially if the surrounds are at 80 hz.

Any mis-wiring ?

27 minutes ago, Benje said:

By the way, I'd redo the ARC again.  You must have dodgy front speakers or peculiar location if the cut-off is 160 hz, especially if the surrounds are at 80 hz.

Any mis-wiring ?

Sorry, should have mentioned that ARC is mistaking a bass null as the speaker roll off and it is easy to override.

Not sure how many Anthem owners use their HT system for multi-channel music.  In one word - superb!  :D 

ARC is excellent in making movies sound so good and the same applies for multi channel music. You can get away with lower quality speakers for rears/surrounds in movies (which I did for 3 years, ARC made them good enough) but multi channel music needs good rears (ideally same as fronts if you can afford it and meet WAF standards).  Dire Straits "Brothers in Arms" is a long time favourite SACD. If you can only play BD, Beck "Sea Change", Queen "Night at the Opera" and Elton John "Goodbye Yellow Birck Road" are blu-ray audio discs that you can get at JB (but they do not have many).  Currently spinning Arnesen "Magnificat", from 2L.  Although I do not listen to choral music much, Magnificat is getting repeated play because it transported me into the church where it was recorded.

If you are want to explore multi-channel music further, a good starting list for quality material is the QuadraphonicQuad poll which is discussed in this post.  The poll is progressive rock heavy but disks in the top 150 are good. To buy, Amazon UK has more material than USA.  CDJapan has some of the SACDs.  Be warned that multi channel music is not cheap and the poll contains many out of print discs.

p/s Been told by forum admin that there is no standard capability to edit my first post ??!! :ohmy:  So my idea of updating that post is not possible.  :(

Have now been given edit access in SNA. :)

Edited by Snoopy8
Added last line

Hi guys

Just bought an ex-demo mrx-510 during a recent ebay sale. Excellent condition, all setup and working well.

I had taken this model home for a demo a while ago, but personal circumstances put the purchase on hold:

My how time flies. That was 3 years ago.

Anyway, I'm enjoying the upgrade after using a Yamaha rx-v1700 for the last year or so and NAD T753 before that.

Ben