We had a thread on Anthem MRX 310/510/710, models which are superseded.  Thought it would be useful to start a new one where the growing group of Anthem owners on this forum can share their experience with each other and with others exploring the Anthem range.  Suggestions for improving this post most welcome.

Anthem website: www.anthemav.com

Anthem news blog: http://blog.anthemav.com/

Anthem Room Correction (ARC): Official description

Video: Official video, ARC Overview (Home Theatre Lounge) 

Articles : Calibrate dual woofers with ARC (Poor Audiophile),

Interview with ARC developers (Audioholics)

Good summary ARC & others (ARC, Dirac rated best, Sep 17)

ARC (Secrets of Home Theatre) Pt 1, ARC + sub (Secrets of Home Theatre) Pt 2

Geeks Guide to using ARC-2 (Secrets of Home Theatre)

Super Geek Guide to Tweaking ARC-2 (Secrets of Home Theatre)

ARC-1 used on MRX x00, AVM 50V, D2V

ARC-2 used on MRX x10, MRX x20, AVM 60, STR Integrated, Pre-amp

(ARC-2 on MRX x10 has 2 profiles cf 4 in others, no slope of rolloff for target customisation of mains & centre)

Snoop's ARC Tips & Tweaks

Anthem owners: (please post if I either missed you or added you in error):

AVM50V : Tassie Devil, IXXI (3D), arftech (3D)

AVM60 : Getreal95, , SimonNo10, franin, Isaac Otaiza

D2V : recur, pezz, jrisles

Integrated 225 : JamesMay, The Bluesman

M1 : parayam, Devialet, georgehifi, ufo

MCA 20 : roboo307, doomigee2

MCA 30 : quantam_l3@p

MCA 50 : benje

MRX 310 : Naydn, Agneswaran, Tommy_tucker

MRX 510 : Cinemafan, Sound_addict, BenH, mpearce38, DarkNark

MRX 520 : Toothdoc

MRX 700 : apgood, Blackwash

MRX 710 : tigger384, skinner84, gillmaverick, snoopy8, Wonka1, woogie59, harmo_hammer, Familyguyhifi, 1224

MRX 720 : benje, bellyup, bandyka, The Bluesman, 2LOUD2OLD, zakblue, ph3ng, 

MRX 1120 : michaelharvey (review here), SNA review, Slightlyforward1503565351, Sir Triode, Mobe1969,

1120 with music, kitschcamp, CapitalK, richiey

P2 : Sterlo

PVA5 : GoudaK, ufo

Edited by Snoopy8
Updated links, owners

I had an anthem mca50 amp prior to getting the mrx720.

I still use it, but I can't honestly say whether it is much better than the 5 main amp channels in my mrx720.

It might be, and it might not be.

I have used ARC quick measure to get my subs well aligned, and have also played a 50-80 hZ test tone to check the phase of my subs with my mains.  Perhaps one day Anthem will include the little sub integration tweaks into ARC.

On 20/02/2017 at 5:51 PM, jrisles said:

D2V - jrisles

Thank you - will add you to first post once my request to edit it with no time limit is approved.

On 20/02/2017 at 7:56 PM, Benje said:

I had an anthem mca50 amp prior to getting the mrx720.

I still use it, but I can't honestly say whether it is much better than the 5 main amp channels in my mrx720.

It might be, and it might not be.

An interesting observation.  The MRX 720 does not have a toroidal power supply and rated at 140W (8 ohm), 2 channels driven.  MCA 50 with toroidal power supply, is rated at 180W (8 ohm) all channels powered.

-----------------------------------

Just upgraded my surrounds and for the first time have full range speakers in a 5.1 setup.  Movies are now a little better but the big improvement was in multi channel music (as expected).

What was interesting was tweaking ARC.  Compared default setting (front cutoff 160 Hz, centre 120 Hz, surround 80 Hz)  with setting all speakers to full range, flat response. Turns out that both my son and I prefer the latter setting.

snoopy8

I'm sure the Anthem mrx720 isn't as good as my mca50 amp - i'm just not sure it is that different.

Whereas the amps in my previous denon receiver (x-4000) for 5 channel listening were rubbish.

By the way, I'd redo the ARC again.  You must have dodgy front speakers or peculiar location if the cut-off is 160 hz, especially if the surrounds are at 80 hz.

Any mis-wiring ?

27 minutes ago, Benje said:

By the way, I'd redo the ARC again.  You must have dodgy front speakers or peculiar location if the cut-off is 160 hz, especially if the surrounds are at 80 hz.

Any mis-wiring ?

Sorry, should have mentioned that ARC is mistaking a bass null as the speaker roll off and it is easy to override.

Not sure how many Anthem owners use their HT system for multi-channel music.  In one word - superb!  :D 

ARC is excellent in making movies sound so good and the same applies for multi channel music. You can get away with lower quality speakers for rears/surrounds in movies (which I did for 3 years, ARC made them good enough) but multi channel music needs good rears (ideally same as fronts if you can afford it and meet WAF standards).  Dire Straits "Brothers in Arms" is a long time favourite SACD. If you can only play BD, Beck "Sea Change", Queen "Night at the Opera" and Elton John "Goodbye Yellow Birck Road" are blu-ray audio discs that you can get at JB (but they do not have many).  Currently spinning Arnesen "Magnificat", from 2L.  Although I do not listen to choral music much, Magnificat is getting repeated play because it transported me into the church where it was recorded.

If you are want to explore multi-channel music further, a good starting list for quality material is the QuadraphonicQuad poll which is discussed in this post.  The poll is progressive rock heavy but disks in the top 150 are good. To buy, Amazon UK has more material than USA.  CDJapan has some of the SACDs.  Be warned that multi channel music is not cheap and the poll contains many out of print discs.

p/s Been told by forum admin that there is no standard capability to edit my first post ??!! :ohmy:  So my idea of updating that post is not possible.  :(

Have now been given edit access in SNA. :)

Edited by Snoopy8
Added last line

Hi guys

Just bought an ex-demo mrx-510 during a recent ebay sale. Excellent condition, all setup and working well.

I had taken this model home for a demo a while ago, but personal circumstances put the purchase on hold:

My how time flies. That was 3 years ago.

Anyway, I'm enjoying the upgrade after using a Yamaha rx-v1700 for the last year or so and NAD T753 before that.

Ben

1 minute ago, BenH said:

Hi guys

Just bought an ex-demo mrx-510 during a recent ebay sale. Excellent condition, all setup and working well.

I had taken this model home for a demo a while ago, but personal circumstances put the purchase on hold:

My how time flies. That was 3 years ago.

Anyway, I'm enjoying the upgrade after using a Yamaha rx-v1700 for the last year or so and NAD T753 before that.

Ben

Welcome Ben to the Anthem club.  Better late than never!  :D:lol:

As most owners here know, Anthem ARC does a very good job of compensating for rooms, especially non-dedicated ones.  However, ARC does not handle spatial variation, ie change in bass response at different listening positions.  Another criticism of ARC is that it supports only 1 subwoofer. ARC treats multiple subs as a single group of integrated subs, with no ability to vary settings between subs. 

Multi-Sub Optmizer (MSO) reduces dramatically the variation of bass response in different seats and integrates the subs well. MSO+ARC has transformed my HT; see my MSO Review. Highly recommend you give MSO a try.

New version of ARC v1.7.5612 

I am sure there are others but noticed that on the target pop up screen, buttons at bottom right have been fixed.

Reviving this thread.  Have corrected links messed up by migration and updated list of owners. 

Suggestions for improvement most welcome...

As most owners here know, Anthem ARC does a very good job of compensating for rooms, especially non-dedicated ones.  However, ARC does not handle spatial variation, ie change in bass response at different listening positions.  Another criticism of ARC is that it supports only 1 subwoofer. ARC treats multiple subs as a single group of integrated subs, with no ability to vary settings between subs. 

Multi-Sub Optmizer (MSO) reduces dramatically the variation of bass response in different seats and integrates the subs well. MSO+ARC has transformed my HT; see my MSO Review. Highly recommend you give MSO a try.

A couple of questions re MRX520/720/1120.

1) Is it possible to create a bass signal that merges LFE and
2) And are you using the multiple subs for stereo music? And, if so, then do you use the same ARC settings for stereo vs multi-channel?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

44 minutes ago, zydeco said:

A couple of questions re MRX520/720/1120.

1) Is it possible to create a bass signal that merges LFE and

I assume you are referring to the parallel LFE outputs from the 520/720/1120?  Not sure why you want to merge them?  ARC treats the bass as one channel, so same signal should be going to both sub outputs.

MSO will optimise the subs (delay, gain, PEQ) before running ARC.  MSO evens out the bass for the room and seating positions. ARC will then treat multiple subs as a single integrated unit.

44 minutes ago, zydeco said:

2) And are you using the multiple subs for stereo music? And, if so, then do you use the same ARC settings for stereo vs multi-channel?

Not using Anthem for stereo; have separate setup using both subs. Had a DAC prior to Anthem (DAC only slightly cheaper!) and as expected, DAC outperformed Anthem for stereo. However, will not hesitate to recommend Anthem if looking for one box for stereo and multi channel.

You can have separate ARC profiles for multi channel, stereo and tweak them as required. If using only 1 profile, stereo becomes 2.1, other channels muted.

ARC does help with stereo but could not be used in my particular setup.

9 hours ago, Snoopy8 said:

I assume you are referring to the parallel LFE outputs from the 520/720/1120?  Not sure why you want to merge them?  ARC treats the bass as one channel, so same signal should be going to both sub outputs.

MSO will optimise the subs (delay, gain, PEQ) before running ARC.  MSO evens out the bass for the room and seating positions. ARC will then treat multiple subs as a single integrated unit.

Not using Anthem for stereo; have separate setup using both subs.

No - I plan on using just one bass output from the 520/720/1120 but having this contain both the dedicated LFE channel as well as the low pass from the other speakers. This "LFE + Mains" would then be sent to my mini-DSP that manages fleet of small subwoofers (with the option to improve via MSO). All the time the main speakers will be high-passed.

My reading of the manual indicates that this set-up is supported but I wanted to check. One advantage of this set-up, to me, is that it should work equally well in terms of bass management for stereo as well as A/V. That is, for stereo it'll just contain the low pass from the stereo speakers whereas for A/V I'll get the mix of LFE channel plus low-pass.

So you've got a separate system for stereo? Or just have stereo using the same speakers etc. but with a separate set of electronics? If it's the latter, then it'd be good to know how it works.

2 hours ago, zydeco said:

No - I plan on using just one bass output from the 520/720/1120 but having this contain both the dedicated LFE channel as well as the low pass from the other speakers. This "LFE + Mains" would then be sent to my mini-DSP that manages fleet of small subwoofers (with the option to improve via MSO). All the time the main speakers will be high-passed.

My reading of the manual indicates that this set-up is supported but I wanted to check. One advantage of this set-up, to me, is that it should work equally well in terms of bass management for stereo as well as A/V. That is, for stereo it'll just contain the low pass from the stereo speakers whereas for A/V I'll get the mix of LFE channel plus low-pass.

In ARC, you can define what the cutoff is (in steps of 10  Hz) for the mains, centre, surround and sub or make them full (ie no cutoff).  It is easy to define an alternate profile, so can try using one profile for both multi-channel & stereo or tweak to suit. Suggest you look at the ARC Overview video in my first post ; goes thru ARC well and should give you a better idea of how it works.

So you've got a separate system for stereo? Or just have stereo using the same speakers etc. but with a separate set of electronics? If it's the latter, then it'd be good to know how it works.

Stereo and multi channel share mains and subs, switched using Behringer DCX2496

Stereo : network player -> DAC -> DCX2496 -> Mains powered speakers

DCX2496 sums L&R for subs, applies MSO parameters (optimised as Mains+Subs)

Multi: BD Player/PC -> Anthem AVR -> DCX2496 (for mains & sub) -> Mains powered speakers & subs

AVR -> Centre, rear speakers

DCX2496 applies MSO parameters (optimised as Subs only)

Edited by Snoopy8
Typos

Stereo and multi channel share mains and subs, switched using Behringer DCX2496 Stereo : network player -> DAC -> DCX2496 -> Mains powered speakers

DCX2496 sums L&R for subs, applies MSO parameters (optimised as Mains+Subs)

Multi: BD Player/PC -> Anthem AVR -> DCX2496 (for mains & sub) -> Mains powered speakers & subs

AVR -> Centre, rear speakers

DCX2496 applies MSO parameters (optimised as Subs only)

Interesting. What is the reason optimising mains + subs for stereo but just subs for HT? I'm planning something similar with MRX720 but with x/o and some bass Mgmt in the AVR

Stereo Media Streamer - AVR

- >80Hz mains to powered speakers

- bass to minidsp for subs

AV sources - AVR

- LFE + bass from all channels to minidsp

- speaker level to surrounds

Interesting. What is the reason optimising mains + subs for stereo but just subs for HT? I'm planning something similar with MRX720 but with x/o and some bass Mgmt in the AVR

Stereo Media Streamer - AVR

- bass to minidsp for subs

AV sources - AVR

- LFE + bass from all channels to minidsp

- speaker level to surrounds

Used Sub-Only option based on MSO Optimisation StrategiesMini DSP article and the discussions on AVSForum about MSO. In subsequent posts after my review on MSO thread, Andyc56 (MSO author) said that Audyssey messed up the delay set by MSO. 

Probably getting OT with Anthem owners, so any detailed discussion on why sub-only should continue there. 

4 hours ago, Snoopy8 said:

Used Sub-Only option based on MSO Optimisation StrategiesMini DSP article and the discussions on AVSForum about MSO. In subsequent posts after my review on MSO thread, Andyc56 (MSO author) said that Audyssey messed up the delay set by MSO. 

Probably getting OT with Anthem owners, so any detailed discussion on why sub-only should continue there. 

Agreed - I'll send a PM. Back on the topic of MRX720: If I'm not using all 7 powered channels (i.e., existing power amp for front left / right and not using rear speakers) then does this mean that there is more power for the remaining channels; i.e., centre + surrounds?

1 hour ago, zydeco said:

Agreed - I'll send a PM. Back on the topic of MRX720: If I'm not using all 7 powered channels (i.e., existing power amp for front left / right and not using rear speakers) then does this mean that there is more power for the remaining channels; i.e., centre + surrounds?

More than welcome to discuss MSO via PM, but probably better in the MSO thread.  Your questions have prompted me to re-think whether Mains+sub can be used with ARC.  ARC expects distances to be entered, thus will not affect MSO delays unlike Audyssey. Need to think thru how MSO parameters, cutoff, delays and PEQs can work together with ARC profile setups, and not cancel each other.  Currently focused on 2 channel, so may be a while before I get there.

Am using my 710 pre-outs for my fronts (left, centre, right) and my rears get everything!  The limited info suggests that there is an improvement with using fewer channels, but how much is not clear.  Suggest contacting Anthem to ask; they are usually good and prompt with info.

Advice from Anthem was that "if using an external amp on the front channels it (MRX720) would have more power fo the center and surround channels". And highlighted benefits o AVM-60 were listed as "improved analog to digital circuitry, better headphone amp and XLR outs"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

You can add me to the 720 club after getting an offer I couldn't refuse as i was sick of waiting for a Marantz 6012. I have a feeling i will be much better off.