Sony Releases UBP-X800 4K UHD Player

Kazz

709, i imagine the projector is  hdmi v1.4 since if doing 3D ? the sony avr though is v1.3 if remember :)

for 3D have you been splitting so far. ? is that why want to continue doing ? its something i did too when ran 3D with a 2008 processor

typically the splitting is only needed these days  if say were running a uhd display... in which case you run video direct to the display. audio direct to AVR :)  it can be a bit hit and miss in some cases. some of the players have a setting as to what you want to specify for each hdmi output.

709er, sometimes the start up order can affect things.

With the projector off at the wall, try starting the AVR, then the player, put in a standard blu-ray disc and whether it plays the audio track. Then turn on the projector.

If this doesn't help then I'm stumped and your options are new AVR or use one of the HDFury workarounds (they've got a new AVR Key due in October).

Thanks everybody for your input.

:)al - Yes, using 2nd HDMI out so as to get 3D. Has worked flawlessly with Oppo 93 and Sony 720.

Yes, Sony is V1.3, but it's weird that it gets the audio if using HDMI 1:unsure:

The amp is definitely having a look at the player when it's turned on. The HDMI indicator light briefly lights up, but then it says "no" to it, and the HDMI light disappears.

Have confirmed that all the HDMI  ports and cables (V2.0) are working - using my computer monitor and our little TV. It just doesn't like the Sony amp!

Quark, I have tried every combination and sequence, including complete power offs. Absolutely laborious!

Am ready to "pull the pin" on a Denon 4300 anyway, but wanted to have a play with the UBD800 first.

I have sent an email to Sony support (don't know what the story is with them), but maybe they can shed some light on the handshake side of things.

Such a downer getting a new toy and having it NOT do what you want it to:(

19 hours ago, 709er said:

Have the video set to 1080p, most settings to either auto or off. Obviously trying the HDMI system setting to HDMI2. Tried letting both the player and the amp decode. No go!

As Al asked Ruth is  the projector hdmi1.4 ? It seems you are playing a 4k disc at 1080p ? ; if this is correct it could be an edid issue maybe   whereby the audio is downrezed or not output at all as the video bandwidth must be high to send lossless audio ..

HDMI1.4 can handle 4k24p from a uhd disc so try that instead of 1080p ;)

Thanks for the input cwt.

Projector is Panasonic PTAE8000. Not sure without trawling, but as it is a 3D capable PJ, it must be 1.4 or more.

I began my trials with plain old 2D BD's (Deepwater Horizon), Kong - Skull Island with player set to 1080p output, but the issue was there from word go.

Tried a couple of 4K discs later in the trial stage (2hrs later), but same thing.

Oh the pain!

Will try your suggested res setting later and keep my fingers crossed.

I really just need a modern mid range amplifier to trial, but as I don't have one yet - the plot thickens!

1 hour ago, 709er said:

Thanks everybody for your input.

:)al - Yes, using 2nd HDMI out so as to get 3D. Has worked flawlessly with Oppo 93 and Sony 720.

Yes, Sony is V1.3, but it's weird that it gets the audio if using HDMI 1:unsure:

that would be frustrating 709. have you checked the sony menu settings is there one to control what config you have on the output settings i.e. audio only, video only or audio and video ? that said not ll players have been faultless in this regard. also there is potential of lip synch when split audio and video. so if can and sounds like you are on the brink then a 4k uhd capable AVR is probably best way to go :)

its a pity your first step in 4k uhd world hasnt been without issue. but for most of us in these early days it has sure brought its challenges ! 

• Volunteer

Ruth I just had a look at the manual under HDMI settings there are 3 settings : Auto, HDMI 1 & HDMI 2

Auto: Outputs audio signal via HDMI OUT 2 jack if it is connected to a device and the device is turned on. Otherwise, outputs audio

signal via HDMI OUT 1 jack.

HDMI 1:
Outputs audiosignal via HDMI OUT 1 jack

HDMHDMI 2:  Outputs audio signal via HDMI OUT
2 jack

Is there maybe something up in the settings?

You've probably already checked this but thought it might be worth a mention.

Edited by Kazz

Thanks for the replies, but the above was the first setting I tried. It works for all my other 2 x HDMI output components.

Spent a long time on the phone today to Sony support. Got nowhere, but they are prepared to escalate to next level support with extra info.

Spent at least another hour mucking around today, but now my head is frazzled.

Gotta be handshake/ARC/HDMI version type problem!

Must go have a glass of wine and calm down!

Posted over at AVS to see if anyone O/S has an idea.

Fingers crossed :rolleyes:

• Volunteer
On 7/25/2017 at 3:58 PM, 709er said:

Thanks for the replies, but the above was the first setting I tried. It works for all my other 2 x HDMI output components.

Yeah I thought you would have.  :)

i hope you've had some luck with Sony support.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/26/2017 at 6:44 PM, Kazz said:

Yeah I thought you would have.  :)

i hope you've had some luck with Sony support.

Thanks Kazz.

Just to wrap up this incompatibility issue, since hooking up to the new Denon 4300, I have had no handshake issues whatsoever. All good  from the word "go" :)

21 hours ago, judge25 said:

Glad to see you have resolved this, sort of :)

Thanks.

Yes the "sort of" sorted is still a niggle, but now that I'm so happy with the new amp, I doubt I'll finish the investigation into "why" with the Sony amp.

BTW, never received the call back from the "level 2 tech" at Sony :huh:

1 hour ago, 709er said:

Thanks.

Yes the "sort of" sorted is still a niggle, but now that I'm so happy with the new amp, I doubt I'll finish the investigation into "why" with the Sony amp.

BTW, never received the call back from the "level 2 tech" at Sony :huh:

Just put it down to the sony being hdmi 1.3 Ruth and the fact that an audio only hdmi port is a misnomer - its also receiving a null video blanking signal as that's how hdmi works ;) Something to do with the sony edid coms is the culprit methinks..

One thing I should mention ARC was introduced with hdmi 1.4 so that's not a factor :)

Ruth, now that you have it running as you would want, your impressions of the unit?

For me one of the biggest surprises was the build quality and finish. I heard it had a good build quality but the finish looks much much better in person than in photos (at least to my eyes). I can say it didn't grab me looking at the photos but now I quite like it, looks polished and clean. 

Love that it's not plastic and stays cool on top so you could stack the unit if you wish. Seems quiet and smooth tray loading too.

Oh and I really love the Blue tooth implementation . The profile allows pairing headphones unlike my sony tv and it's fast. Can hardly detect any lag from the picture with speech and it sounds surprising;y very good. Very handy now I can watch when wifey is asleep.

Built n Chromescast would be good for many but my TV already has it. Multi channel SACD sets it apart fro all but the oppo which make it a extra good deal for me at the price albeit .no analog outs for it. This doesn't worry me any more.

New update for player. First Asia Pacific U[pdate. Not a lot in it.

Updates UBP-X800 firmware to version M32.R.0175 and provides the following benefits:

• Resolve possible playback symptoms
  • Improve intense color quality on HDR playback
  • Improve compatibility with OLED TVs of other brands

There hasn't been much love for this product on these forums.

I just picked up one for my Living room from Uncle Gerry for $388 and they gave me a free extended warranty for 4 years.

So far I've had no issues and the PQ on my Sammy KS9000 looks pretty good. I haven't had the chance to compare it to my Panasonic UB900 or on any of my other setups in the house yet but will do so when I get the chance. The no optical out is really the only annoying function for me as I was hoping to use it in my bedroom setup with a pair of KEF LS50 wireless.

20 hours ago, judge25 said:

Ruth, now that you have it running as you would want, your impressions of the unit?

For me one of the biggest surprises was the build quality and finish. I heard it had a good build quality but the finish looks much much better in person than in photos (at least to my eyes). I can say it didn't grab me looking at the photos but now I quite like it, looks polished and clean. 

Love that it's not plastic and stays cool on top so you could stack the unit if you wish. Seems quiet and smooth tray loading too.

Oh and I really love the Blue tooth implementation . The profile allows pairing headphones unlike my sony tv and it's fast. Can hardly detect any lag from the picture with speech and it sounds surprising;y very good. Very handy now I can watch when wifey is asleep.

Built n Chromescast would be good for many but my TV already has it. Multi channel SACD sets it apart fro all but the oppo which make it a extra good deal for me at the price albeit .no analog outs for it. This doesn't worry me any more.

It is a very handsome and well built unit - really has some weight.

I have thrown just about every disc type at it and so far, it has handled them flawlessly, though ATM, I am down-scaling 4K content, to 1080p. Picture looks very nice indeed.

Like you said, it has a super quiet tray and operation. Seems well balanced. Nice, simple remote too.

If I had to nit-pick, I would like it to have a front display. If just playing music and obviously not wanting to turn the PJ on, it's a bit difficult to tell what's going on. Having said that, I have the choice of 3 other players in the stack all of which have front displays, so not a biggie B)

Further pickiness, but completely related to our individual situation,  would like to see the  disc tray a little more centered. The tray is on the extreme left side and in our "column cabinet", is a bit tight. Also, don't particularly like the flop down front, but I guess it  is necessary to keep the super clean lines of the facade.

Overall, very happy with the 800 at $398 and glad to be able to play 4K discs and enjoy the (usually) superior audio tracks that they sport :)

Haven't tried any of the blue tooth or wireless functions (I'm a bit of a dinosaur when it comes to that), but may have need to, down the track.

I'm glad that you have found it so efficient with the headphone regime :)

• Like 1

Truth be told I don't really like the flop down front either. Reminds me of many previous first gen players from many manufacturers, be it DVD or Blu. Seems this flop down front is always popular, particularly with Panasonic. But as you say it make for a nice clean facia.

Display would be nice even though I always turn my off or to pure direct mode. Still nice to see what's happening initially though :)

• 1 month later...

Hi guy's we are looking for a 75" uhd tv to possibly replace our JVC hd250 DILA projector however the prices are still a bit high for us. Was doing my due diligence the other day ,surfing retailer websites when I came across the new Sony UBPX800P  4k player on special for $398 au. World wide reviews for picture ,sound , flexibility and fastish load times are universally excellent so I took the punt. Bit of cart before horse but our Sony 5000ES BDP , while still working well is starting to get on and the new Sony will allow Steve easy access to Netflix in the home theater.

Will report back once it is delivered.

ubpx800p-2.jpg

• Like 1

• Volunteer
3 hours ago, Ozcall said:

Was doing my due diligence the other day ,surfing retailer websites when I came across the new Sony UBPX800P  4k player on special for $398 au. 

I've just bought one of these for my daughter for Chrissie/Birthday, got it at that price as well.

• Like 1

On 8/15/2017 at 3:31 PM, Seandres said:

There hasn't been much love for this product on these forums.

I just picked up one for my Living room from Uncle Gerry for $388 and they gave me a free extended warranty for 4 years.

So far I've had no issues and the PQ on my Sammy KS9000 looks pretty good. I haven't had the chance to compare it to my Panasonic UB900 or on any of my other setups in the house yet but will do so when I get the chance. The no optical out is really the only annoying function for me as I was hoping to use it in my bedroom setup with a pair of KEF LS50 wireless.

Any comparison yet with the UB900?