Sony Releases UBP-X800 4K UHD Player

Kazz

Priced to move, excellent news !! 

Will go nicely with the 4K Telly that appeared under the tree for my family at Chrissy 

Edited by Guest

good to see sony finally make an entry :)

they've been completely asleep at the wheel with regards uhd blu-ray which is bizare since sony studios have been pumping them out. left hand doesnt know right hand perhaps ?

such a contrast with blu-ray where they had the fat boy ps3 and ok they used a pioneer rebranded player, but atleast they were there at the launch of the format and had some lovely players eg the 5000es as flagship to follow...

hopefully this player is in the ilk of the panasonic, though no idea the sony is being released locally since its only through the pro channels in the us. but good to see it come at the price it has :)

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
5 hours ago, yorac said:

Hey mate, I think Sony about 2 or 3 years ago made all their players SACD capable, even the budget one's, good to see the continuance however.......

Should have been more explicit Neil ;as in the second UHD player that handles both sacd and dvd audio. ;) sony have improved their file playback too with this model ; not like the old days :)

5 hours ago, yorac said:

Interesting the review quotes the next Xbox as being a better player, as this is where I was thinking of going, though release price is a bit exxy, it's still well cheaper than the current Oppo.......

Its good theres a choice between value added gaming or universal disc playback though  I suspect the x box1;s video processing is more compromised towards gaming algorithms [ especially how it does any HDR games]

48 minutes ago, yorac said:

Lol, I've had 22 blu ray players, multiple brands, and what I'm hearing on the current Oppo isn't giving me any reason to upgrade, just happy to grab a quality second player, and watch more through the NAS than discs now anyway.......

Yep ... both my 103 and 105 rarely get turned on now days ... I still love it when we do watch a BD, but I am not convinced by all the recent talk that the new 4K machines improve BD PQ ... I'm sure 4K looks better but I'm not about to buy a new Oppo to replace the 105.

On ‎24‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 5:28 PM, yorac said:

Reviews I am reading are rating it's UHD playback better than the Sammy and the Pana mate, at the price point I'll probably give it a go, not a gamer so more dedicated 2nd player option for me, and if it is any good I can leave the 103 set to Region A.

Agree re: the disc playback mate...........

That's good to hear ; Sony shot themselves in the foot leaving UHD playback of the ps4 ;) Yeah didn't need another universal oppo  and when I got the chance to buy a pana 900 for 1/2 the price [and it plays 10bit and 4k HVEC files of my NAS as well which is rather rare ] I couldn't see value in another oppo either :)

Edited by cwt
HVEC codec worth mentioning

• 2 weeks later...

Back to 449 at Bing Lee https://www.binglee.com.au/sony-4k-ultra-hd-blu-ray-player-ubp-x800

Additional Information

3D Yes
Disc Playback BD, DVD, CD, MP3, AAC, JPEG, GIF, PNG
HDMI Output Yes
Upscaling Yes
USB Host Yes
Wireless LAN Built-in Yes (2.4 GHz, 5 GHz)
Ethernet (LAN) Yes
Width (mm) 430
Height (mm) 50
Depth (mm) 265
Weight (Kg) 3.8
Manufacturer Warranty (Years) 1

Manufacturer Specs

4K High Dynamic Range
Dolby Atmos & DTS:X
DSEE HX upscaling
Sony-unique chassis
Bluetooth wireless audio
Simultaneous HDMI & Bluetooth audio transmission
LDAC
Wi-Fi

DISC: BD-ROM, CD (CD-DA), CD-R / -RW, DVD+R, DVD+R Double Layer, DVD+RW, DVD-Audio, DVD-R, DVD-R Dual Layer, DVD-RW, DVD-Video, SA-CD (SA-CD / CD) Playback, Stereoscopic 3D (profile 5), Ultra HD Blu-ray
VIDEO FORMAT: AVCHD Disc Format, Motion JPEG (.mov, .avi), MPEG-1 Video / PS (.mpg .MPEG, .mkv).VOB, .VRO, MPEG-2 Video / PS, TS ( .mpg.MPEG, .m2ts, .mts, .mkv).VOB, .VRO, MPEG-4 / AVC (.mov, 3gp, .3g2, .3gpp, .3gpp2, .flv)
VIDEO FORMAT: MPEG-4 AVC (.mkv, .mp4, .m4v, .m2ts, .mts), VC1 (.m2ts, .mts, .mkv), WMV9 (.wmv, .asf, .mkv), Xvid (.avi, .mkv)
AUDIO FORMAT: AAC (.AAC, .mka), AIFF (.aiff, .aif), ALAC (.m4a), Dolby Digital (.ac3, .mka), DSD - DSDIFF / DSD (.dff, .dsf), FLAC (.flac, .fla), HEAAC v.1 / v.2 / level2, LP cm (.mka), Vorbis, WMA10 Pro, WMA9 Standard (.WMA)
PHOTO FORMAT: BMP (.bmp), GIF (.gif), JPEG (.jpg, .jpeg), MPO MPF 3D (.mpo), PNG (.png)

PICTURE FEATURE: 4K Upscale (60p) , HDR ? SDR converter, Deep colour (12bit) , 24p True Cinema
CERTIFIED HI-RES AUDIO: Yes
DOLBY: Dolby Atmos / Dolby True HD decoding (7.1Ch)
DTS: DTS:X(bitstream out)/DTS decoding (7.1ch)
DSEE-HX: Yes
BLUETOOTH: Bluetooth TX, LDAC

WI-FI® BUILT IN: Yes (2.4GHz, 5GHz)
WI-FI MIMO: Yes
FEATURES: DMP (Digital Media Player), DMR (Digital Media Renderer), Screen mirroring (Wi-Fi Miracast), Wireless Multi-room (Server)
STREAMING: 3D Streaming, 4K streaming, Live Streaming

FUNCTIONS: Auto Power Off (Auto Stand-by), BRAVIA Sync, Child Lock, Parental Control
APPLICATIONS: Sony | Music Center, Video & TV SideView

INPUT AND OUTPUT: Coaxial Audio Output (s): 1 (Rear), Ethernet Connection (s): 1 (Rear), HDMI Output (s): 2 (Rear), USB Input (s): 1 (Front)

POWER CONSUMPTION: in Operation, in Standby

Remote Control: RMT-VB310E
Batteries: Type AAA x 2

11 minutes ago, Blackman1503561291 said:

No DV?

Exactly Blackman!  Then again .. it really is too early for all of this.  Says me sitting on the sidelines :lol:

Edited by Mr C
addition

No problem for me. No display or projector with DV only HDR, I would guess many/most are in this boat currently?  Is DV that much better than HDR or is it the slick Dolby marketing? That's for another discussion :)

Me upgrading to DV when it matures will cost a lot more than $400, so happy to relegate this to the second display and upgrade player too at that time. 

Edited by judge25

• Volunteer
11 minutes ago, judge25 said:

No problem for me. No display or projector with DV only HDR, I would gues manty/most are in this boat currently?  Is DV that much better than HDR or is it the slick Dolby marketing? That's for another discussion :)

Me upgrading to DV when it matures will cost a lot more than $400, so happy to relegate this to the second display and upgrade player too at that time. 

Yep no DV (or even UHD) on my plasma..   :P

And it will probably also be quite a while before it becomes available for PJ's, although I do have a DV player in the Oppo 203.  :rolleyes:

7th Gen OLEDs have DV out of the box.

I was contemplating the Epson LS10500 now that it's out finally out but I'm kinda happy with the X9500 so might wait for a laser DV for the next upgrade.

The Sony ZD9 is supposed to be getting a DV update this year

Just grabbed one....and got that extra 5% off today only coupon at JB taking it down to $378

Now off to set it up and hopefully watch something later.

Anyone interested in a very very lightly used 3mth old Xbox one S :)

Hi all.

Hoping for some help here.

Purchased the UBP-X800 today and after 3 or so hours of fiddling, still can't get audio through HDMI2 to my Sony STRDA2400ES.

Tried every combination and start-up sequence possible!

Using HDMI V 2 cables which work on the HDMI 2 (audio only) ports of my Oppo 93 and Sony 790.

Can get everything working through HDMI1 sending both audio and video going into the amplifier and then output to a monitor but would prefer the separation.

I guess it is of little consequence as I just wanted to be able to enjoy the "better" soundtracks that are more and more becoming available on the 4K discs and not the 2D/3D.

Have the video set to 1080p, most settings to either auto or off. Obviously trying the HDMI system setting to HDMI2. Tried letting both the player and the amp decode. No go!

Any thoughts much appreciated. I am going demented. Not a good start to my foray into 4K.

Edited by 709er

Should work so long as you have Systems Settings./ Hdmi Audio Output set to HDMI 2 and the hdmi channel on amp set to that input and the HDMI 1 port on the player direct to TV or Projector.

Least ways works fine on mine. To test if you are getting a HDMI connection on this HDMI port, you can set you amp to this port as you would to get sound, but also put your tv on the amp in port (not the sony player port).  Although you dont get the video, you do get a message on the screen say something like audio only is output to this port.

The other thing to watch and this has caught me twice, is that the ports are quite snug fitting which I like. I had the same problem and checked the cable and although it appeared in a little push to check it clicked in a little more and all was good. 

Edited by judge25

Thanks so much for your input.

I have been very mindful of getting a good positive connection.

I think that the connection is there, as when the UBP is first switched on, the HDMI display briefly lights up on the amp, but then disappears.

I did find a post on Bluray.com mentioning that HDMI V1.4 or higher would be needed to support ( I think that my older Sony amp is V1.3), but how would that work with the fact that the HDMI 1 port delivers all?

I know that with my Sony BDP 720, both HDMI ports send audio and video and you select to send audio only from the menu if required.

The UBP HDMI2 is audio only, no selectable video out.

Does this mean anything.

Thanks for any help. I will be at it as soon as all the sleepy heads in the house are awake. Really want to get on top of it all and move on to the enjoyment :)

Edit:

Just connected the UBD HDMI2 to my computer monitor which also has audio capability. Got the screen: HDMI2 only has audio choose HDMI1 for video or something to that effect. Played a cd through and got audio!!

I am really feeling that this just may be a case that my Sony amp is just too old to understand the connection - at least the audio connection on it's own without the video included.

More thoughts?

Edited by 709er