10m Cable for 4K signal

I understand there is no such thing as a 4K HDMI cable, but not all cables will transmit 4K.

My hopefully simple question is, what cable should I be looking for to transmit 4K from my Denon X4300 receiver to my JVC X5000?

Cable minimum length 9m.

links to something from forum sponsors would be great :) 

Edited by STAINLESS

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Volunteer

The question of which HDMI cable will work at 10m for 4K is a slippery slope into hell.  :(:blink:

What works for one setup doesn't necessarily work for another. :(

I'm pretty sure THIS is the one Al is using, also pretty sure it doesn't do full 18gbps but is working as so far movies aren't needing this.  **

I'm using THIS ONE from Kordz, quite pricey, also doesn't cope with 18gbps, so have had some issues with Oppo 203 homescreen, but is working as so far movies aren't needing this.  **

Some in the US have had luck with THIS Clerity cable, however it is also quite pricey and not everyone has gotten it to work in their setup.

** I did say they are working with movies thus far, however I also read this morning that Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk 4K UHD runs at 4K/60 and people are likely to have issues with cables that are currently running 4K/24 with no issues due to the increased bandwidth needed.  I have it preordered at Amazon, due for release next week so I guess I'll find out soon enough.

That's a long distance to say for certain Stainless ; I would consider blue jeans bonded pair ; the fibre optic celerity has problems with certain configs as David Vaughn has tested but its glass fibre so distance is of no import..

http://www.soundandvision.com/content/ultra-hd-blu-ray-vs-hdmi-round-2-which-cables-can-actually-pass-hdmi-20-page-2#FK7IBif8gKKHlPW8.97

As long as you aren't sending 4k/60 [which is part of the uhd spec so will come more later] but 4k/24 you will have more leeway with premium certified cables as blue jeans explains

https://www.bluejeanscable.com/articles/premium-hdmi-cable.htm

8 hours ago, STAIN0 said:

I understand there is no such thing as a 4K HDMI cable, but not all cables will transmit 4K.

My hopefully simple question is, what cable should I be looking for to transmit 4K from my receiver to my JVC X5000?

Cable minimum length 9m.

links to something from forum sponsors would be great :) 

anything over 6m will have MAJOR question marks. I personally would struggle to recommend anything unless THE exact same equipment combo.

yes its that dicey....

I use the comsol 10m from office works,

http://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/officeworks/p/comsol-high-speed-hdmi-cable-with-ethernet-10m-cohdmi100?cm_mmc=google-_-pla-_-HDMI Cables-_-COHDMI100&cm_mmca1=NULL&cm_mmca3=conversion&cm_mmca9=columbus&CAWELAID=620015440000838436&CAGPSPN=pla&CAAGID=34435309358&CATCI=pla-55733401733&catargetid=620015440002665561&cadevice=c

its also available here at tech buy 

http://www.techbuy.com.au/p/230774/CABLES_HDMI/Comsol/HD-PR-100.asp

though what ever you buy you want to buy from some place with a good return policy ! 

also be aware the comsol is thick and STIFF ! with bulky plugs either end. I had to pretty much pull out the other two cables of mine I was running to get it run. which kind of sh!t me as had fingers crossed the comsol would work no issue. last thing I wanted was pull the other two cables and then the comsol wouldnt work or something. but fingers crossed it seems ok with everything.

if running in wall under house in the ceiling i.e. around bends and what you you typically have to the kordz prs would be better option. its like a cat 6 network cable and with slim compact plugs.

the kordz prs will do uhd blu-ray and will work I found in my system with the pana, and sammy players. the oppo have to use uhd24 or uhd auto settings. and uhds will player. anything pushing the limits of 4k eg the oppo menu on out of box wont.

celerity in the us some are using is MEGA bucks here and its delicate as angels hair. i wouldn't like my chances running it up and down internal walls sound and under the house etc I have to.

keep in mind the recent announcements of mega silly bandwidth of hdmi 2.1

if can I would just get something basic to get by right now. what ever it is... and keep in mind if keeping up with the tech race will likely be replacing in 12 months time

in this time of flux and changing standards theres nothing much else we can do unfortunately ! 

but yeah I re iterate I would hesitate to recommend anything to anyone ... unless using the exact same equipment combo. buy something with a good return policy. try it for a week before deciding to run internally etc. 

5 hours ago, Kazz said:

~

** I did say they are working with movies thus far, however I also read this morning that Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk 4K UHD runs at 4K/60 and people are likely to have issues with cables that are currently running 4K/24 with no issues due to the increased bandwidth needed.  I have it preordered at Amazon, due for release next week so I guess I'll find out soon enough.

Grrrrr ! why are they doing that ! 

ps I see local release not till next month for us locally ... and doesnt include the 3D blu-ray 

http://www.dvdland.com.au/products/BILLY-LYNNS-LONG-HALFTIME-WALK-(4K-BLU-RAY-UHD).html

http://www.ezydvd.com.au/blu-ray/billy-lynns-long-halftime-walk-uhd-4k-blu-ray-ultraviolet/dp/6179458

GRRRRR ! 

Wow. A lot of concern. Its $70 (not nothing but not the end of the world if it fails.)

With any long HDMI run always just plug it into your equipment direct before trying to install it in walls etc. See if it works.

These cables are advertised as 4K capable. If they don't work return for a refund. Officeworks or ezyHDMI should have no issues (esp. if you flag the possibility before buying).

Seems the thing to ask is is it 4K 24 fps or 4k 60 fps. Any reason why a current box wouldn't output 4k24 even if the source was 4k 60?

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Edited by pgdownload

4 minutes ago, pgdownload said:

Wow. A lot of concern. Its $70 (not nothing but not the end of the world if it fails.)

With any long HDMI run always just plug it into your equipment direct before trying to install it in walls etc. See if it works.

These cables are advertised as 4K capable. If they don't work return for a refund. Officeworks or ezyHDMI should have no issues (esp. if you flag the possibility before buying).

Otherwise its a statutory warranty thing (major failure) and again a full refund is in order.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

yes id suggest if can run direct for a week before installing in wall under the house etc. that way get a chance to pump some stuff through. before going the trouble. its something i did as well. but even then had fingers crossed after running and needing to remove my previous cables that it would have caught me undone. fortunately its worked fine since :D 

1 hour ago, STAIN0 said:

Do all issues go away if I was to move my equipment closer to projector?

Say 4-5m cable?

you can have NO ISSUES at upto 10m .... depending on conditions I have stated above.

if can go to 6m or below .... grab one of these ... THE only premium certified at 6m

https://www.macfixit.com.au/monoprice-certified-premium-high-speed-hdmir-cable-6m-black/

1 hour ago, STAIN0 said:

Do all issues go away if I was to move my equipment closer to projector? Say 4-5m cable?

5m is generally considered the point where el chepo ($10) HDMI cables don't always cut it and you should probably spend a bit more ($50) buying a quality one. 

IMO a 'quality' 10m cable should easily handle all current transmission requirements IMO (as I said I was a bit surprised others are so fearful of that length - people installing 20m cables all over the place with no issue). It does seem like the the fear is that future (4K 60fps) content might strain current cable tech. 

Personally I'd suggest that any of the recommended cables above is very likely to be fine (but you can't tell for absolute sure until you plug it in). Even then it will be 4K 24fps content that you will likely be testing. If the cable works then thread it through the wall (not sure of your setup but nice 1.5" holes through the timber so if you need to pull it out in the future (while pulling a replacement cable in its stead) then it slides through easily enough.

Good Luck

Peter Gillespie

PS 5m will always be better than 10m but its just about hiow much hassle it is to go for 5m setup when 10m will likely work anyway. 

• Volunteer
11 hours ago, said:

Grrrrr ! why are they doing that ! 

ps I see local release not till next month for us locally ... and doesnt include the 3D blu-ray 

http://www.dvdland.com.au/products/BILLY-LYNNS-LONG-HALFTIME-WALK-(4K-BLU-RAY-UHD).html

http://www.ezydvd.com.au/blu-ray/billy-lynns-long-halftime-walk-uhd-4k-blu-ray-ultraviolet/dp/6179458

GRRRRR ! 

Al, Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk was filmed in HFR, something which I've not been too keen on in the cinema, it'll be interesting to see how it goes on home displays.

I preordered from Amazon because of the delay in release here, although the lack of a 3D disc doesn't affect me, it's just another case of Australia getting the short end of the stick once again.  :angry:  :angry2:

51 minutes ago, Kazz said:

Al, Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk was filmed in HFR, something which I've not been too keen on in the cinema, it'll be interesting to see how it goes on home displays.

I preordered from Amazon because of the delay in release here, although the lack of a 3D disc doesn't affect me, it's just another case of Australia getting the short end of the stick once again.  :angry:  :angry2:

yeah will be interesting how the JVCs cope, and particularly how it comes through !  yes am with you going to see some hobbit stuff in HFR  at the theatres didnt do much for me must admit ! 

1 hour ago, Hatlesschimp said:

I tested the selby cables with a JVC x7000 with Deadpool UHD. I wouldnt pay anymore than that for a HDMI cable. Certainly dont buy any fancy snake skin oil Monster Cable etc.

http://www.selby.com.au/10m-hdmi-high-speed-with-ethernet-shd110e.html

what length?

*Edit

Sorry, did not see the link.

Edited by STAINLESS

34 minutes ago, Hatlesschimp said:

I tested the selby cables with a JVC x7000 with Deadpool UHD. I wouldnt pay anymore than that for a HDMI cable. Certainly dont buy any fancy snake skin oil Monster Cable etc.

http://www.selby.com.au/10m-hdmi-high-speed-with-ethernet-shd110e.html

one issue i have with the cable is its labelling. they use the word premium in it. I hope people dont have that confused with "premium certified" as they are two differnet things. 

when quoting a cable works for you, its always worth people knowing that while perhaps has worked suvessfuly for you there are no guarantees will work for someone else in another context. the good thing is the cable has a good return policy which is something else people should keep in mind :)

I dont mention a business unless I believe in them. They have been awesome to me an many others in my community. Decent price, decent product, decent return policy and Australian Owned. I have some rg6 i bought from them and didnt use and all though i lost the reciept they were fine with giving me my money back. The main thing for me is they dont upsell and are honest. If they don't know they dont bs.

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

I boil it down to cost vs overall build quality. Can you buy a cheap $2 HDMI cable and have the same picture quality as a $300 cable of the same length? Yes...
Will it last as long as the $300 cable? Most likely not. That doesn't mean you should go and buy a $300 cable. But don't be afraid to spend money on something that's built to be bent and jaded through holes for service runs. Typically around the $30 - $50 mark I've found good quality HDMI cables.

• 1 month later...
On ‎9‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 11:44 AM, Hatlesschimp said:

I dont mention a business unless I believe in them. They have been awesome to me an many others in my community. Decent price, decent product, decent return policy and Australian Owned. I have some rg6 i bought from them and didnt use and all though i lost the reciept they were fine with giving me my money back. The main thing for me is they dont upsell and are honest. If they don't know they dont bs.

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

I also like Selby..My previous HT room was mostly bought from Selby including a 10m hdmi cable and works perfect..i just recently bought  QA BT3 from them and when I got it home the remote was not working so I thought there was a fault. I rang Selby straight away, and they said we can swap straight over for a brand knew one  with the same discounted price as I bought the one off the floor.. but before swap over they said try a new battery which I did and works perfect, very good customer service..

18 minutes ago, christoshizz said:

It sounds like the Selby is a pretty safe bet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do they have a 10m cable that does the deed though ? Ie passes 4k50/60 as needed for uhd ?

I think in there new rang they do.. my previous HT room I had a 15-20 HDMI cable running full HD 120ich projector and works perfect..

My knew HT room il be def be buying most of my gear there. :) you wont be disappointed