HOME INSURANCE ON LIGHTENING Tv's?

Hi all,

Lightening near house. Both Tv's stopped working.

Srike killed the 13yr old Plasma(New $9K) and the Dick smith LED(New $350).......will they give gift cards\cash or replace with OLED to similar value??????

Definitely won't be to similar value. The DIck Smith LED they'll just replace with a similar model. The Plasma they'll replace with LCD for the same size (42"?). Depending on your insurer you can probably ask for a cash payout but that will be pegged to the value of what the insurance company can get the two TVs for (not what they're worth in store) so maybe $1000 or so - you could then put that towards buying an OLED if you wanted. Sorry for your bad luck. On the good side you were covered and TV technology has improved remarkably over the past 13 years.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Others are saying that New for old if in policy means that $8K value should replace it.....no?

Of course the insurance will want to pay the least possible ie. if fixing is the cheapest option.

The plasma 42 inch with side speakers attached  and actually hooked up to beyonwiz for the DTV tuner !

It still blitzed current LCD concerning HD sports.....

I know the Dicksmith Tv is a side note and agree they will value something similar.

New for old doesn't mean agreed value. It just means they won't pro rata the value based on the age of the item. Instead they will source a new item that gives the equivalent look and performance closest to the item as if it were new. So you're looking at a Full HD TV around 42" in size. They might agree to stay with Panasonic (although they don't have to) so for example here's a 50" FullHD Panasonic LCD for $800. Note that that is store cost and your insurer probably has deals to get it cheaper again. 

So IMO best case you'll score a nice 50" TV worth around $1000. Plasma is not available and arguments as to how much better than LCD are unlikely to do much. Its up to you if you want to try pocket the cash (if they offer it) and put it towards a better OLED screen (Obviously you're not shy on spending a lot on a TV). The good news is your plasma is probably approaching half its as new brightness and its also given you 13 years of sturdy service.

Vail and move on?

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Good Luck. Never hurts to ask anyway. Sorry to be blunt but I didn't want you to get your hopes up too much.

Would appreciate knowing how the story ends. Out of interest, if you had to choose would you go the replacement LCD or throw in some more and get an OLED or the like?

Regards

Peter Gillespie

IME they won't muck around looking for any specific models you might ask for (unless it was for an exact model replacement) - although again doesn't hurt to ask, especially if you possibly prefer a certain brand. I suspect they'll offer one or two options or give you a cash payout option (over which you'll have no negotiation)

Couldn't really suggest anything (although I think its hard to go wrong with a brand name $1000-$1500 set these days - they're all pretty good.)

FWIW I'd wait and see what they offer as a replacement (often they'll have a couple of TVs for choice). It may be pretty good and plenty of people on this forum happy to give an opinion on a specific model. Given the age of the old TV and the fact its a plasma, I'd say they'll also be happy to cut a check if you say you'd prefer to source your own replacement. 

Maybe go eyeball a few in store and see if any appeal. Also consider are you happy with 42" or would you want to step up in size?

Regards

Peter Gillespie

So the latest is filling out forms for Insurance broker

*Oh there is a $600 EXCESS!!!!*

So the "Insurance broker" says NEW for OLD value $6.7K for Plasma! Not size????

Definitely go LG OLED...as the Pansonic OLED are not out over Samsung UHD HDR?

Will ask for straight over curved.

It actually asks on the claim form what is similar value now?

So for $5K would be from LG 65" B6T 4K Ultra HD OLED Smart TV OR https://www.videopro.com.au/p-9877-lg-65-oled65e6t-e6-series-4k-uhd-oled-tv.aspx

I know the sale is not on When the G6 was $6.5K!

https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=2586007&p=41

Should ask for the G6....of course the insurance can get it at OLD SALE price?

Also the:   https://www.videopro.com.au/p-9877-lg-65-oled65e6t-e6-series-4k-uhd-oled-tv.aspx  is $5.8K

But may end up with $400 cash if pgdownload is right.

Just to also add there are 3 Tv's in the house in three different rooms.

Plasma stopped working

Dick smith LCD stopped working

Old CRT with set top box works but snowy picture on free to air, fine via dvd!

Having aerial guy come to test antenna and ports.

Also the upstairs internet that is fed by ethernet cord from the downstairs modem\router stopped working. Downstairs and WIFI work fine!

Edited by PLANT

• 2 weeks later...

Update is the broker saying that now the call centre of the insurance company has moved to Manilla all claims are not processing smoothly anymore and has other clients waiting on claims to be resolved!

Had a aerial guy test arial and all good but confirmed Tv's are dead. Found that the ethernet cable from for the computer upstairs needed to be replaced which is odd as the one downstairs was fine and  older than the upstairs cable?

So evidence......any suggestions....does a TV repairer need to review Tv's?

How long is reasonable time for claims process now call centre overseas, 1 month? 

Sorry to say but doesn't sound good. Sounds a bit like the start of a large run around. 

If you get a $7000 payout for a 10 year old TV, you'll be the first person I've ever heard of it happening to. 

Do you have the insurance small print by any chance? Or is it on their website? If you do it should spell out pretty clearly what they'll do.

No need to sort evidence. They'll tell you what's needed (any option they choose should be at their cost if there is any)

FWIW Call centre overseas delay is pretty meaningless. You lodge a claim the call centre takes it down and sends it to head office. 

As snafuoz says what insurance company? If its extended insurance then its presumably some small outfit. Nothing to stop them just shutting up shop and moving to Manilla.

NB Don't take my comments as informed. Still early days yet and every chance its just going to take some time.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

My house had a direct lightning strike around 10 years ago.  TV/ DVD/Blu-ray/Laptop/Computer/Radios.

Insurance = NRMA
Location = NSW 

The NRMA requested I take all items to a repairer for assessment. I think one of the things they use the repairer for was to provide the exact model number of each item. 
From the model number the NRMA knew the specs and last/current RRP for each of my items. From there they provided the details on what they believed was a suitable replacement. For some items I was extremely happy with the suggested replacement (Codan radio I had purchased second hand for $600* they provided a brand new $3000 Codan radio).

At the same time for the $600 Bluray I had purchased a few years earlier I was offered a $149 unit (same manufacturer). I felt like I was being ripped off, however once I check it out I realised it was actually a lot better than my unit.

For some items the suggested model was missing some thing I required (Original TV had 3 AV input, suggested only had 2, Laptop offered didn't have built in serial and parallel ports). I pointed out models that were suitable (whilst they were more expensive, I was reasonable) and after a bit of haggling they accepted my suggestion.

All Insurance companies have different fine print. As has already been pointed out get the PDS for your policy and read it carefully. 

* NRMA was informed of this.

• 3 weeks later...

So the update is the insurance wants evidence, so contacting the electricity company to see if they can show a spike\surge in power when the lighting hit ground near property.....

The antenna guy could not provide any details on why both TV's and internet on one computer stopped.

Insurance say they will choose and replace with what they think compares but broker says definitely insured for $6K TV!  

Not sure how you prove a lightening strike. Any damage to the property you can photograph? May have been a power surge I suppose - presumably the power company can verify/discount that. And you're probably covered for power surge anyway? Guess they'll let you know what they need as proof?

Never used Vero. Never gone the broker route for insurance either. Seems to just be another layer of 'service' that you have to pay for. In my experience insurance is reasonably straight forward usually. You still need to collect all the evidence etc. to give to your broker for a claim. Presumably they fill out the online claim form and handle some of the calls to the insurance center? Not really sure of the value add. Personally I'm with GIO. You just need to ring them every year to get them to offer you the real deal as all insurance companies try hike up the annual charge after the first year. But a broker might sort that hassle for you?

Regards

Peter Gillespie

So latest update is more reality orientated(as per Pgdownload) and less delusional as per the BROKER.......Plasma---> tv they will choose of  $500 in value....a counter offer will be made(as per Broker and suggested tv value) and not sure on the Dicksmith TV offer. Set top box they will pay money amount.

Any suggestions for counter Tv offer????....

Not sure how a $600 excess and 10+years of premiums  can receive such a LOW offer?

$500? Ouch! 

Keep in mind the price they offer isn't even the store value. Its what they can source a replacement TV for (and presumably they replace 1000's of TVs a year so presumably get a good bulk discount).

The bad news is that a 42" HD TV is about $500 these days. FWIW I think your best bet is insisting on a Panasonic as a replacement. Not sure if they'd just say that the model is up to them, but presumably they need to keep like with like to some degree and they can't sub in some Taiwanese no name brand when you have a quality brand name unit. So my call is to request a valuation to cover a 42" HD Panasonic TV (or as close as possible to it). Your only (reasonable IMO) requirement is it must to be a Panasonic.

The cheapest current set that fits that bill is the PA-TH50DS610U. Which costs about $1000 to buy.

Having said all that its quite likely they maybe able to source an older (new) Panasonic that just never got sold a few years ago. They'll then offer that to you. You should still have the ability to say you don't want whatever set they are offering and to cut a check instead, but again that TV has probably been sourced by them for $500 so that's what they'll offer you.

Good Luck

Peter Gillespie

So much for Broker Agreed value?

Found your recommendation: https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/286488

The Plasma was the Hitachi 42PD5000TA.

Still recommend the Panasonic? I was thinking Hisense 50M7000UW(recently on Ozbargain and sale Jbhifi) or  50K3110PW(which will not even cover Excess!)      

OR a Samsung

Basic set-top box for another Tv do you recommend?

Edited by PLANT

42 minutes ago, PLANT said:

So much for Broker Agreed value?

Found your recommendation: 

The Plasma was the Hitachi 42PD5000TA.

I wasn't recommending the  PA-TH50DS610U. Just saying you could use it as a bargaining chip as the closest possible Panasonic TV to the model you are trying to replace. Push on the brand name replacement and they might need to bump the replacement cost to $1000? Samsung is a favoured brand on this forum.

As for recommendations maybe start another thread asking what's good for $1000ish. That said (and I'm no expert) the Hisense 50M7000UW for $900 seems a good buy.

On the STB, I don't think anyone recommends those anymore. They're all pretty much the same and cost nothing these days.

Regards

Peter Gillespie 

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, PLANT said:

So the BOM forecast, as proof for the weather on the day has been attached to the claim.....awaiting outcome.....

Seems bizarre they couldn't look that up themselves. :rolleyes: Wouldn't fret it. They make you jump through hoops but just play the straight bat and it should all be approved in the end.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

• 2 weeks later...

They have the Tv's delivered! The excess was paid via CC to The Good Guys direct.

Bedroom tv: Hisense 50k3300uw

Living Room: Samsung UA50KU6000W 1 page hard copy manual?????????????

Overhead it cost about $1150 for insurance company!

Edit: So I think the request that family member made was a poor choice for the Samsung as I have found it does not have Bluetooth and sports viewing performance is poor 7\10......They did not listen\wait for a recommendation and just went Samsung from a retailer website review :( 

Edited by PLANT