Sign in to follow this  
bernievink

Samsung 60" UHD TV UA60KU600W

Hi Folks

Until this week, I have resisted the move to UHD.

But as JB-HiFi were selling thie UA60KU6000W TV for $1398

& The Good Guys were selling the UBD8500 for $298.

I could no longer resist the challenge.

Then I had to find content which was both UHD & HDR.

found some Samsung demos but not HDR

found some LG demos with HDR ( but called Dolby vision)

while trying these demos I found the back-lighting and brightness set too high for my liking.

does anyone have preferred settings for this model ?

I set back-lighting down to 10 and brightness down to 40 for comfort.

I left contrast at 100 and color, hue and tint at 50.

Check rting.com for some suggested calibration points

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the tip Jutta.

I tried the settings suggested by rtings.com for the 60KU6300 (UK model)

their setting do improve the picture. (original setting were much too bright, and back lighting was way too high)

other suggestions about making sure HDR is turned on in the HDMI input settings are also very useful.

Regards

Probably just make sure the HDR+ mode is off.

The TV will enable this itself when non HDR sources are feed to it.

4 hours ago, jutta said:

Probably just make sure the HDR+ mode is off.

Does not apply to my TV, only the 7000 & 8000 models.

Found this in another forum, written by someone called  Macman1

As for HDR, its FAR more noticeable and dominates the "look" of the image. Without it you will be hard pressed to pick 4K Bluray from 1080 Bluray. For HDR to work the display must have huge peak light output, which is not something that can be done with a firmware update.
If the TV does not support HDR its not normally possible to get a wide gamut signal into it in the first place, so a TV that boasts "wide gamut" capability without HDR comparability is simply marketing BS.

It should be remembered that movies are not originally "HDR". HDR is an effect applied as part of the 4K Bluray production. 

While many will like the look of HDR its a departure from the original movie source which was intended to be displayed in a cinema at low light levels, not on a blindingly bright digital TV."

Wow that completely destroys my hopes for a quality picture on any TV

Edited by bernievink

TV's have always had, and always will have, limitations.

HDR is closer to what your eyes actually see in the real world I guess. I mean you cant stare at the sun outside, but you can on a TV. HDR sources look pretty good to me on a display that can reproduce them, despite what the expert Macman1 says. And i think the majority of us would sit to watch a movie in low light conditions at home, just like the cinema anyway, wouldn't we??

1 hour ago, jutta said:

HDR is closer to what your eyes actually see in the real world I guess. 

I'm not getting that impression personally. (Using my layman terms) Camera's and TVs have a fairly limited ability to deal with differing levels of light in a single scene compared to the eye (which is frankly astonishing in its capability). You can either reduce the brightness and see more detail in the the bright areas or increase it to get more out of the dark regions (hence the wedding photographers dilemma shooting the groom and the bride together). 

I'm not sure why we need "HDR TVs" as the ability to show dark next to light areas is already there (You can show a HDR photo like this on a "normal TV" fine). Of course the commercial implementation of HDR seems to be as an extra data stream that is applied to a normal recording (if the TV is capable) so we all need new TVs, but in theory a HDR version of a movie should be quite doable?

Anyway, HDR is about capturing more information of a scene and trying to approximate how it can be added in to look like what the eye can see. In practice I've found it often ends up looking weird. The eye also adjusts to balance dark and light areas in its own way. HDR images often seem like night vision goggles in that they provide more information than we'd normally see and it just doesn't jibe. As an example the prison fight scene at the start of antman looked great to me focusing on the fighters with dark shapes of the other prisoners coming in and out of the background but always present in a ring around them. Throw in HDR and 4K and LCD brightness and suddenly its like the whole scene is shot under flood lights. You can see all the prisoners easily as well as the two fighters and it just detracts.

No doubt HDR will get better and possibly this is why HDR data is a separate stream of data. As processing improves the same movies will begin to look more realistic hopefully.Until then though I think I'll leave HDR to the photographers.

Regards (Sorry for the long winded response)

Peter Gillespie

I am getting more and more confused about what is real and what is good for viewing.

I have yet to receive a movie but playing with test patterns and both HDR and non HDR test video clips, one either has the setting where in HDR colours seem way too overdone, or non HDR where everything appears washed out.

playing with settings like picture (standard, dynamic, movie, warm) affects colour but so called expert settings leave little room to adjust where reality versus "pop" becomes impossible to find a "right" setting.

Regards

17 minutes ago, bernievink said:

I am getting more and more confused about what is real and what is good for viewing.

I wouldn't worry too much until you get a HDR movie to watch. 97% of your viewing will be non HDR so try set your TV up so standard (non HDR) TV looks real and good (or really good)

FWIW Probably don't stray too far from the main controls, start with factory default settings. Check which picture mode appeals the most. Then perhaps tweak the brightness, contrast or colour a bit to see if you can get the image you want. Keep in mind that a new TV always looks 'different' to your old TV. The eye is super sensitive to artifacts and variations that you wouldn't see on your old TV. It takes a few days / weeks of viewing for the brain to filter out these annoyances and you can just get down to watching the show :)

No doubt when you get a HDR movie you'll be able to turn it on and off (hopefully real time) and get a better idea of the difference it makes. Sample video clips at the moment have probably been chosen to exaggerate the HDR effect. Wait till you get a movie that (as with the better 3d movies) uses a lighter touch to good effect.

Regards

Peter Gilllespie

Edited by pgdownload

On 15/01/2017 at 8:02 PM, bernievink said:

I set back-lighting down to 10 and brightness down to 40 for comfort.

The "brightness" control is misnamed its really a blackness control and sets the black level of the image.

Normally the default setting (50) is spot on or very close, using a lower setting simply crushes shadows to black and thats not good. A higher setting turns black to grey, both are not good.

To adjust how bright the picture looks on an LCD TV adjust the back- edge light control, nothing else. Turning it down not only makes the whole picture dimmer but lowers black level as well which is good.

6 hours ago, Owen said:

To adjust how bright the picture looks on an LCD TV adjust the back- edge light control, nothing else.

Thanks for the tip I will give it a try and view the demos again.

my UA60KU6000W TV just popped up with an alert saying the latest software has been installed, 1160.6 
even though the first thing I did on the 14th of Jan when I set it up was to check for software updates, it informed me then there were none available.
today obviously I have now received the update that was released on 4th of Jan.

Edited by bernievink
finally able to add fext

Found another small hint on the comments of others.
"in your 4K UHD player settings, use HDMI Colour Format YCbCr(4:4:4), If your TV can use it."
And yes, my UA60KU6000W can and does work on this setting, Great !

Also have received my first three 4K/HDR movies

Star Trek 11, 12 & 13. really impressed with both picture and sound quality.

even though my receiver (Sony STR-DH520) cannot handle Dolby at-mos. it will play Dolby TrueHD audio in full 7 channel surround, once more great !

Edited by bernievink

Just received a software update last night over the internet for this TV, now at version 1165.

Not sure what it does but it was over 1Gb in size.

No obvious differences so far.

Edited by bernievink

Family members just got the following and I will have to setup for best picture:

Can someone please post their settings for UA50U6000W.....
Best picture settings
Best settings for watching AFL HD

Are firmware updates worth doing or make things worse?

Will connect chromecast and Beyonwiz S1 PVR ......

Is the PS4 PRO been fixed or HDR still not working?
No bluetooth keyboard access still?

All latest experiences tips\tricks please!

Anyone got an update for my above post?