Sign in to follow this  
mello yello

Electric Autonomous Vehicles - Future or Flop ?

3 hours ago, oztheatre said:

So that's why they're at war over there.

Thought it was 50 years of oil left 20 years ago?

I wonder though, with all the oil dried up, what happens to the planet? I would have thought the oil is essential to the health of the planet? Surely we where never meant to take this out?

I don't believe there's some overarching reason why oil should stay in the ground. AFAIK oil provides no real benefit to the planet (its really rather toxic when it gets above ground). The planet is ours to explore and use IMO. Unfortunately we're out of balance in many areas but that will be corrected in due course. Be thankful we've lived in such an amazing time and in such an amazing county :)

Regards

Peter Gillespie

On 24/01/2017 at 7:58 AM, pgdownload said:

50 years or so it would seem. I think a big problem in the future is that we use petrochemicals to make a lot of stuff (i.e. not the power derived but the physical substance)\. Stuff you can't make without petro chemicals. We'll presumably transition at some point to alternative energies but have lost most of our reserves for other stuff.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Your right about this.  There are so many things we take for granted, like plastics, that start as petrochemicals. 

22 hours ago, oztheatre said:

So that's why they're at war over there.

Thought it was 50 years of oil left 20 years ago?

I wonder though, with all the oil dried up, what happens to the planet? I would have thought the oil is essential to the health of the planet? Surely we where never meant to take this out?

I guess the big question here is, where did it come from in the first place?  What makes oil? Coal is essentially decomposing organic matter compressed in the ground over millions of years.  If oil is formed in a similar way, why does it remain in a liquid form?

About 20 years ago, I worked this guy from the US who said that he owned land in the states and it had oil seeping out the ground.  He would have put in a pump had the tax rate not been so high on top of the cost of the pump itself.  He said the land value would increase faster than any profits he could make pumping oil, so he decided to come and live/work in Australia for while whist his investment incubated.

If it was meant to stay in the ground, why would it seep out?       

12 minutes ago, CAVX said:

I guess the big question here is, where did it come from in the first place?  What makes oil? Coal is essentially decomposing organic matter compressed in the ground over millions of years.  If oil is formed in a similar way, why does it remain in a liquid form?

About 20 years ago, I worked this guy from the US who said that he owned land in the states and it had oil seeping out the ground.  He would have put in a pump had the tax rate not been so high on top of the cost of the pump itself.  He said the land value would increase faster than any profits he could make pumping oil, so he decided to come and live/work in Australia for while whist his investment incubated.

I dont know. I guess most things in the ground make their way up in some instances, lava, gas and oils.

Surely we're creating some pretty big voids in the ground where oil once was? trillions of barrels taken so far and billions more to come out?

21 minutes ago, CAVX said:

Its not 'meant' to do anything - it does what the physics dictate. 

• Its nature of creation (vegetable matter being 'cooked' by pressure under layers of sediment that form over millions of years means it usually forms deep underground.  
  • But oil is actually lighter than water so if it is formed under permeable rock then it will actually rise to the surface one day. 
  • Usually though the rock is impermeable and we have to drill down to get to it.

As for why coal is not oil and visa versa, it appears while the process is similar (dead vegetation under millions of years of sediment) Oil (and gas) forms when it happens in the sea and coal forms when it happens on land (Which would explain why no one digs for coal in the sea and why most big oil and gas reserves use oil rigs out to sea)

I did not know that :)

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Edited by pgdownload

6 minutes ago, oztheatre said:

Surely we're creating some pretty big voids in the ground where oil once was? trillions of barrels taken so far and billions more to come out?

I doubt we've even come close to shifting the 10th decimal point of material under the earth around (i.e. 0.00000001%). I believe with oil, they first just let the natural underground pressure push the oil up. After a while that dissipates so they pump water down to continue the process (effectively replacing the oil with water). With coal we largely just scoop it of the surface (making those huge holes we're all familiar with).

Regards

Peter Gillespie

On 25/01/2017 at 9:37 AM, pgdownload said:

Its not 'meant' to do anything - it does what the physics dictate. 

• Its nature of creation (vegetable matter being 'cooked' by pressure under layers of sediment that form over millions of years means it usually forms deep underground.  
  • But oil is actually lighter than water so if it is formed under permeable rock then it will actually rise to the surface one day. 
  • Usually though the rock is impermeable and we have to drill down to get to it.

As for why coal is not oil and visa versa, it appears while the process is similar (dead vegetation under millions of years of sediment) Oil (and gas) forms when it happens in the sea and coal forms when it happens on land (Which would explain why no one digs for coal in the sea and why most big oil and gas reserves use oil rigs out to sea)

I did not know that :)

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Thanks for that.  It makes sense.

yep this will work, if ya battery acts a 'ornery ... BUILD A 50 STOREY HIGH BATTERY

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/south-australia-to-announce-tesla-as-backer-of-worlds-largest-battery-20170707-gx6mhy.html

South Australia has announced Elon Musk's Tesla as the principal builder of the world's largest lithium ion battery to expand the state's renewable energy supply.

"just buy my cars folks, i will look after the grid going down whenever somebody fires up as much as a  hair dryer"

we have a Big Banana, a Big Pineapple why not a Big Battery !!!!

Edited by mello yello

Today Volvo decided to annouce that in just a few years time (2019) none of their production cars will be fitted with straight petrol engines but hybrids or electrics so Smithy's post of the 1912 version is on the money somewhat, Doesn't Ford own Volvo, if so a forecast of things to come maybe.

Then as most of the places where oil comes out of in the middle east is just sand with a huge hole under it where oils been removed I wonder how much water it'll take before the sand starts to run downhill and fill the void leaving ??????

Edited by agelessgoodguy
added a century LOL:

Don't lithium batteries catch fire when rubbed strongly, seem to remember a plane load going into the sea (with planes crew) when they got rubbed together

dont know who would want to rub a lithium battery (other than Elon Musk) but arent they prone to catch fire spontaneously some time after being subjected to a hefty bump ? isnt that how laptop and phone batteries explode?

who needs nuclear power station risks of meltdowns and radiation leaks when there is a perfectly volatile lithium timebomb in the South Australian desert?

48 minutes ago, agelessgoodguy said:

Today Volvo decided to annouce that in just a few years time (2019) none of their production cars will be fitted with straight petrol engines but hybrids or electrics so Smithy's post of the 1912 version is on the money somewhat, Doesn't Ford own Volvo, if so a forecast of things to come maybe.

Then as most of the places where oil comes out of in the middle east is just sand with a huge hole under it where oils been removed I wonder how much water it'll take before the sand starts to run downhill and fill the void leaving ??????

yeah i saw that

brave of Volvo to not have a Plan B

BMW say its at least another 10 year before they go Autonomous, mainly because of the other driver rather then the techology, A mates driven a 7 series with it from within the city to home in Frankston hands off the wheel, takes some guts to do that down there let me tell you.....

dont mind me or this thread, its a DTV thread,

notice i dont go into EV (battery operated vehicles) threads and "give my opinion" on battery operated vehicles, thus this outlet, anyone sensitive to this look away now or just keep posting in the real EV (battery operated vehicles) threads

you cant change my mind, im a traditionalist, and i dont buy that whole save the planet by decree BS, it is enough for it to be  be voluntary

this i dont like, the attitude of certain snott-nosed Californian bimbo bozos who think the world owes them certain entitlements ... its not the parking in charging bays debate, its calling us folk who resent that sort of special privilege entitlement as being "gasholes"

She has a child seat in the back which probably makes her a MILF:cool:

As for EV's I shall pass thanks and I agree with Mello, I am a traditionalist. I mean it's a minute to midnight in ecological terms and we have sub standard ,over priced EV foisted upon us

Edited by rantan

youre a Tosla sweetheart :thumb:

edit: oops, not you rannie, shes a Tosla LoL

Edited by mello yello

EASY SOLUTION, put the chargers way way down the back of the parking lot

2 hours ago, mello yello said:

this i dont like, the attitude of certain snott-nosed Californian bimbo bozos who think the world owes them certain entitlements ... its not the parking in charging bays debate, its calling us folk who resent that sort of special privilege entitlement as being "gasholes"

What would you call someone who parked their car across all the  functioning petrol bowsers, blocked your access and then went shopping for an hour? Same inconsiderate behaviour

I enjoy driving and riding I like the noise a petrol engine makes I love working on my motorcycle I can also see a time when all this will be outlawed by men with hearts the size of a dried up surprise pea who's testicles are kept in their wives hand bag.

I'm a big fan of electric vehicles but the batteries pollute way more than One Steel and most people charge them via coal.............but won't admit it or fail to realise.

8 hours ago, MC240 said:

I enjoy driving and riding I like the noise a petrol engine makes I love working on my motorcycle I can also see a time when all this will be outlawed by men with hearts the size of a dried up surprise pea who's testicles are kept in their wives hand bag.

I used to think the same thing. Now I don't miss it at all, in fact, I find it just noisy and intrusive

9 hours ago, MC240 said:

I can see the day you pull upto the "petrol station" the only one in town....and out the front instead of a bill board with prices... will be pictures of scorched earth and bush fires ...a bit like the kind of scary picture you have on cigarette packs... to scare people off from buying. and you will pay $100 a litre with $99 of that going to the government as taxes. 

of sorry autonomous cars was the title of this thread wasn't it .... dominos is testing them to deliver pizzas... sorry they are not electric and still have drivers. and just fords(tesla likely too rich for their boots)... but heck on the upside being a ford ... it will be used to being recalled :D incase something goes wrong .... 

the whole point is that it is being shoved down our throats

one monopoly is being replaced by another monopoly

its one thing to be a slave to oil (out of necessity), its another thing to bend over and allow yourself to become a slave to batteries

there should always be a choice