Sign in to follow this  
michaelharvey

Power Amp - will it make a big difference?

27 minutes ago, michaelharvey said:

Actually there are some slight differences between the 3.

Only the 550 and 850 have a toroidal PSU, and the 850 has gold plated binding posts!

As for other options, well I'm optimistic of a good outcome with the Arcam but if not I'll just grab the Anthem MRX1120. That had no trouble driving the clip I mentioned!

Time for me to chase up support, they are being a little slow.

:)They are unusual units ; not quite separates and restrictions on using the internal amps for ceilings when you have a separate pre out  power amp for the bed channels . Makes you want to  get the 850 to drive those bed channels with some oomph ^_^ Yes the anthem is a nice option with all 11 channels driven with no extra power amp ; hope the 550 gets sorted ; lot better than a datasat rs20i if you like dirac ..

21 minutes ago, cwt said:

:)They are unusual units ; not quite separates and restrictions on using the internal amps for ceilings when you have a separate pre out  power amp for the bed channels . Makes you want to  get the 850 to drive those bed channels with some oomph ^_^ Yes the anthem is a nice option with all 11 channels driven with no extra power amp ; hope the 550 gets sorted ; lot better than a datasat rs20i if you like dirac ..

Well I originally thought about getting an 850 to be honest, but I thought the extra benefit would be negligible, and it was hard enough to demo a 550!

A few products I've barely heard of have Dirac too. I expect the implementations will continue to improve as more and more volumes gets out into the wild.

Just a quick update.

A few more issues with this, without going into detail how Arcam have implemented Dirac is very poor.

Basically, whatever correction filters you have on the main channels, are also applied on re-directed content to the subwoofer.

Why would you apply a correction filter for one speaker on content sent to another speaker is beyond me.

I'm still awaiting Arcam's final response (in hope they will correct this), but have asked the distributor to make the necessary arrangements for a refund from the retailer.

Very disappointed, the raw sound quality of the amp is fantastic, and with Dirac (above say 200hz everything is amazing).

Not sure where to go from here. Thinking Anthem 720, 1120, AVM60 or Yamaha 5100 + minidsp.

On 25/01/2017 at 4:36 PM, michaelharvey said:

A few more issues with this, without going into detail how Arcam have implemented Dirac is very poor.

Sorry to hear that.

Not sure where to go from here. Thinking Anthem 720, 1120, AVM60...

You will NOT be disappointed with Anthem and ARC.  It is easy to set up and works well...

... Yamaha 5100 + minidsp.

That's radical given your preference for room correction!  From what I have read, YPAO does not come even near Dirac nor ARC.  And I assume you will try to augment it with  a miniDSP using REW or a similar tool?  

3 hours ago, Snoopy8 said:

That's radical given your preference for room correction!  From what I have read, YPAO does not come even near Dirac nor ARC.  And I assume you will try to augment it with  a miniDSP using REW or a similar tool?  

Maybe Michael ls considering the 88a with the dirac and bm plugin  Snoopy https://www.minidsp.com/products/dirac-series/ddrc-88a ; its a popular combo with pre out  avrs or pre pros  @ avs .

I'm still awaiting Arcam's final response (in hope they will correct this), but have asked the distributor to make the necessary arrangements for a refund from the retailer.

yes Michael ; other disturbing things you've probably seen @ avs  include apparently the bass management circuits coming after the dirac has applied the filters [ when it should be before] ,something firmware wont help as its a physical path . Its been tested at the emo lounge btw by both the designer and other independent owners with rew  that the xmc1 does have the BM before the dirac filters correctly [ never get the designer from Arcam to answer a question directly ^_^

Edited by cwt

1 hour ago, cwt said:

Maybe Michael ls considering the 88a with the dirac and bm plugin  Snoopy https://www.minidsp.com/products/dirac-series/ddrc-88a ; its a popular combo with pre out  avrs or pre pros  @ avs .

yes Michael ; other disturbing things you've probably seen @ avs  include apparently the bass management circuits coming after the dirac has applied the filters [ when it should be before] ,something firmware wont help as its a physical path . Its been tested at the emo lounge btw by both the designer and other independent owners with rew  that the xmc1 does have the BM before the dirac filters correctly [ never get the designer from Arcam to answer a question directly ^_^

CWT is right on my reasons considering the Yamaha. I've ruled that out though. I'm in a non dedicated room, so by the time I add all the power amps and 2 ddrc-88as, I am way out of space! I definitely need a dedicated room and a rack :)

Yep - I'm all over AVS. My measurements with REW clearly show the same error. I only measured the speaker response, not the line out as those on AVS have done.

FYI - just to make sure no issue with Anthem, I contacted their tech support to ask how they applied bass management. They do it the right way and said, "It wouldn't make sense to do it any other way."

Also, have to point out that the distributor has been very helpful. I hope they don't have too many more lying about.

On 28/01/2017 at 8:51 PM, cwt said:

Thank you.  I did read about it when it was announced but did not realise how popular it was @AVS

On 28/01/2017 at 10:42 PM, michaelharvey said:

CWT is right on my reasons considering the Yamaha. I've ruled that out though. I'm in a non dedicated room, so by the time I add all the power amps and 2 ddrc-88as, I am way out of space! I definitely need a dedicated room and a rack :)

One of reasons why I went Anthem MRX 710 was that my HT setup is in an open plan family room and WAF is an important criteria.   The Anthem had more than enough oomph and ARC made good the HT audio.

3 hours ago, Snoopy8 said:

Thank you.  I did read about it when it was announced but did not realise how popular it was @AVS

One of reasons why I went Anthem MRX 710 was that my HT setup is in an open plan family room and WAF is an important criteria.   The Anthem had more than enough oomph and ARC made good the HT audio.

That is really good to hear. Each time I have heard an Anthem I have been impressed. I'm in a non dedicated room so AV equipment space is limited. When I finally build a new home, I'll keep the Anthem in a family room setup.

I only thought the Arcam was marginally better in raw sound quality. The majority of the Dirac correction for me is speaker eq, it isn't doing much on the reflections (probably as I have heavy linen curtains on about 65% of side walls and 50% of the rear walls). So it will be interesting once I get it to my room to hear the difference.

Arcam has been returned this morning (great service from the distributor and retailer - they both have my thanks and future business).

I've since ordered an Anthem MRX1120 and it is on the way. Looking forward to receiving it, hopefully tomorrow!

5 hours ago, michaelharvey said:

Arcam has been returned this morning (great service from the distributor and retailer - they both have my thanks and future business).

I've since ordered an Anthem MRX1120 and it is on the way. Looking forward to receiving it, hopefully tomorrow!

Welcome to the Anthem owner's club (I HOPE!).  Please post your thoughts when you have set up your system.

Not sure whether you have seen these old articles that discusses ARC to a bit more depth: Audioholics interview  Secrets of Home Theatre

Michael

I look forward to your thoughts on the mrx1120.  Good luck

Benje