Sign in to follow this  
Tober27

HDMI Switch/switcher

I need a HDMI switcher for games systems.  As I know almost nothing about them, I don't know what any of them can or can't do.

Ideally, I want it to switch automatically when game system is powered on, be able to handle 60 frames per second, 3D, 4K, and most importantly have absolutely no delay/lag.

Might be asking too much, or too expensive, but I don't know where to start.  Any help would be great.  Or is there anything else I should be thinking about when buying one?

(if there's a topic already covering this, please direct me to it)

Thanks!

Hey Tober,

Ezy HDMI is well respected on this forum. Suggest you browse their site and send through any queries.

Here

Regards

Peter Gillespie

As I don't have a 4K tv yet, the two cheaper ones do seem like they'd be adequate.

Has anyone here used them, in particular for playing games?

1 hour ago, Tober27 said:

As I don't have a 4K tv yet, the two cheaper ones do seem like they'd be adequate.

Has anyone here used them, in particular for playing games?

Tober if you are going to be playing 4k/60 games with HDR ; Ide check with Keith @ ezy hdmi as his current switchers are rated for hdmi 1.4 rather than 2.0a which is needed for a 4k/60 hdr signal . hdmi 1.4 is fine for 4k @24/30 fps so if that's what the new xbox one s or PS4 puts out you will be fine [ime no expert on the video rendering bandwidth of the new consoles ? ] ; they do upscale - its not native - yet ...

New consoles are coming as well and hdmi 2.0a switchers are anything but cheap ; https://www.conferenceroomav.com/PureLink-/UX-4400.cfm

https://www.cnet.com/news/why-you-shouldnt-get-excited-about-4k-and-hdr-gaming-at-least-not-yet/

Keith will let you try it out to be sure as he did when I bought a 4x2 matrix switcher of him in the past :)

4 hours ago, cwt said:

Tober if you are going to be playing 4k/60 games with HDR

Still trying what "HDR" means when talking about games. Every pixel is programmed to be certain colour in a game. Want a black tuxedo next to a white bridal gown and both detailed? A game can do that without a second thought. No need for HDR.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

2 hours ago, pgdownload said:

Still trying what "HDR" means when talking about games. Every pixel is programmed to be certain colour in a game. Want a black tuxedo next to a white bridal gown and both detailed? A game can do that without a second thought. No need for HDR.

Peter Gillespie

I look at it this way Peter ;Hdr is all about a greater range of colours [and gradations of those colours] whether specular highlights or shadow detail in low contrast scenes . It goes hand in hand with a WCG . As monitors improve their dynamic range and nit levels bandwidth requirements will just increase . I can grasp how its almost non intuitive to judge what is cgi this way but our displays are all calibrated [presumably ?] to the old limited rec709 standard and Ime one for more true to life images however there composed :cool: I enjoyed this take on pc games and the pitfalls on early adoption -

http://www.pcgamer.com/what-hdr-means-for-pc-gaming/

31 minutes ago, cwt said:

I look at it this way Peter ;Hdr is all about a greater range of colours [and gradations of those colours] whether specular highlights or shadow detail in low contrast scenes . It goes hand in hand with a WCG . As monitors improve their dynamic range and nit levels bandwidth requirements will just increase . I can grasp how its almost non intuitive to judge what is cgi this way but our displays are all calibrated [presumably ?] to the old limited rec709 standard and Ime one for more true to life images however there composed :cool: I enjoyed this take on pc games and the pitfalls on early adoption -

http://www.pcgamer.com/what-hdr-means-for-pc-gaming/

HDR is definitely about range. The classic photographer conundrum is the wedding. Bride in white. Groom in black. Take a photo but do you skew the settings to reveal the grooms's coat (the bride a blur of white) or skew to show the detail in the wedding dress (the groom a morass of black)? I'm guessing most photographers chose the later. 

But what if you didn't have to chose? What if you had complete control over every single pixel on the screen. You could render the bride in vivid detail and then move on to do the same for the groom, pixel by pixel. HDR is about trying to address the trade off every photographer makes. TVs 10 years ago could easily display all the colours a photographer  could want to display. 

HDR is a thing. HDR gaming is marketing IMO.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

2 hours ago, pgdownload said:

HDR is definitely about range. The classic photographer conundrum is the wedding. Bride in white. Groom in black. Take a photo but do you skew the settings to reveal the grooms's coat (the bride a blur of white) or skew to show the detail in the wedding dress (the groom a morass of black)? I'm guessing most photographers chose the later. 

But what if you didn't have to chose? What if you had complete control over every single pixel on the screen. You could render the bride in vivid detail and then move on to do the same for the groom, pixel by pixel. HDR is about trying to address the trade off every photographer makes. TVs 10 years ago could easily display all the colours a photographer  could want to display. 

HDR is a thing. HDR gaming is marketing IMO.

I don't equate photography HDR with UHD HDR Peter as I read this somewhere or other not to conflate the 2 . '' the amount of light output the TV can put out will likely be on an upward trajectory for the next few years" ; all the better to have a greater range of different colours for the specular highlights and why the linked article mentions patched older games below ;

What about games?

The trickier question is what all of this means for PC gamers. While some new games will come out of the box with HDR in mind, older software won’t support the wider color and contrast capabilities without patching. Those older games may play normally on HDR-equipped systems, but you won’t see any benefits without some fresh code added to the mix.

I note even Microsoft has thoughts on HDR and what works well in concert with it :)

As displays support greater ranges of color and luminance (e.g. HDR), apps should take advantage of this by increasing bit depth. 10-bit/channel color is an excellent starting point. 16-bit/channel color may work well in some cases. Games that want to use HDR to drive an HDR display (a TV or Monitor) will want to use at least 10bit, but could also consider using 16bit floating point, for the format for the final swap chain.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/mt742103(v=vs.85).aspx

10 bit colour will give heaps more colour gradations for those specular highlights and for shadow detail . 

4 hours ago, Tober27 said:

The cable chick one is rated hdmi1.4 so can handle uhd @30hz if that's what your sending [ over a short length ] just check your manual ;) . 

The amazon one is rated hdmi2.0 so can handle uhd @60hz and mentions HDR ; looks a bargain if the specs are honest and you don't need to clone a remotes codes for switching into a harmony etc remote ?

Yes, I've ordered the Amazon one (off ebay because Amazon one won't ship to Australia :angry:)

It's overkill for what I need right now, but I hope to be able to use it with future setup too.  And hope it works as claimed!