2017 JVC Projectors

8 minutes ago, doggiehowser1503564764 said:

The weird thing is that Dolby Vision is designed to be dynamic in terms of brightness support which would lend itself to projector use really well, where 1000nits of 120" would burn your Retina emoji51.png

I suspect DV on projectors might take later to appear but not out of likelihood.

Yea,I have thought about that myself mate.Sort of defeats the purpose really in having it available.Now I wonder why the 8802a will likely not get it.I think it will happen one day for projectors but I could be wrong.The question I ask myself is that "Will DV become a standard or a novelty".For example 4K seems to have become a standard where 3D seems to be a novelty for some, or even most.It makes me ask the question on DV.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good news regarding My Audyssey pro kit with the 8802a.I asked if I needed to purchase a new licence as my original licence was for my Avpa1hd, they just transferred my licence to the 8802a so it saved me $150.00 Great start to the day.

On ‎18‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 6:39 PM, drummerboy01 said:

Yea,I have thought about that myself mate.Sort of defeats the purpose really in having it available.Now I wonder why the 8802a will likely not get it.I think it will happen one day for projectors but I could be wrong.

The ce's know they are onto a good thing with HDMI as each new iteration makes a new purchase drummerboy ;) Dolby realises its at a loss with its proprietary chipset and licensing fee vs an open standard so have allowed the better enabled chipsets a pass .. And if HDR10+ gets traction ?

https://ce-pro.eu/2017/02/dolby-vision-set-available-software-upgrade-soon/

But many ce;s don't like paying for yet another oem license ie onkyo ditching audyssey license fees to save money for atmos etc .

The weird thing is that Dolby Vision is designed to be dynamic in terms of brightness support which would lend itself to projector use really well, where 1000nits of 120" would burn your Retina [emoji51]

I suspect DV on projectors might take later to appear but not out of likelihood.

Just a point to note. That 1000nits is for 10 percent of the screen. But good luck getting 100 nits for a full white field.
You guys should post your readings.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

On 6/18/2017 at 6:18 PM, doggiehowser1503564764 said:

The weird thing is that Dolby Vision is designed to be dynamic in terms of brightness support which would lend itself to projector use really well, where 1000nits of 120" would burn your Retina emoji51.png

I realise you are probably exaggerating. However, it may be of interest to some that:

• a cloudy sky has a luminance of around 2000 nits
  • an average sky is around 8000 nits. (No retina frying there. The human irises quickly constrict and the eyes become comfortable looking at the sky.)
  • the sun disc at noon is about 1.6 billion nits (Of course that would damage the retinas!)

Sources:

http://www.schorsch.com/en/kbase/glossary/luminance.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orders_of_magnitude_(luminance)

7 hours ago, doggiehowser1503564764 said:

A part of it is meant to be humor. 

But even at 300 nits or so, I found the X9500 to be cause a lot of eyestrain... with 1000nits, I reckon it would be nigh unwatchable

How and what did you use to take the measurement?

14 hours ago, cwt said:

The ce's know they are onto a good thing with HDMI as each new iteration makes a new purchase drummerboy ;) Dolby realises its at a loss with its proprietary chipset and licensing fee vs an open standard so have allowed the better enabled chipsets a pass .. And if HDR10+ gets traction ?

But many ce;s don't like paying for yet another oem license ie onkyo ditching audyssey license fees to save money for atmos etc .

Thanks for the info mate.

3 hours ago, doggiehowser1503564764 said:

My bad. I converted wrongly.

I have about 30 ft lambert on a 120" screen.

That's about 100 nits isn't it?

Apparently 29.29FL = 100 nits

18 hours ago, cwt said:

Didn't the OPPO 203 and 205 just recently get FW upgrades that enabled them to be DV ready?  
I can understand where Dolby is coming from, but really, they have had the market monopoly for over 40 years.  

Edited by MarkTecher

• Volunteer
3 minutes ago, CAVX said:

Didn't the OPPO 203 and 205 just recently get FW upgrades that enabled them to be DV ready?  
I can understand where Dolby is coming from, but really, they have had the market monopoly for over 40 years.  

Yep the Oppo 203/205 got the DV update in the latest FW.

So this Kickstarter project I backed has been delayed

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1959366850/realiser-a16-real-3d-audio-headphone-processor/posts/1917399

The plus side is that all the inputs are now HDMI 2.0b 

with Dolby Vision HLG HDR passthrough on all inputs

Not that it matters for my JVC. But it might be interesting using it with my Sony ZD9 when it eventually gets the patch. 

Just wondering  if having the x5500 projector lens at 4.4 meters throwing onto a 130inch scope screen is a distance i would not have a problem with.I think i remember reading a post stating that for the JVC projector range on a 130 inch scope screen should be mounted at 4.3m min distance from screen.My celing height is standard 2.4.I want to build a projector cabinet but a little confused about the throw distance.

26 minutes ago, drummerboy01 said:

Just wondering  if having the x5500 projector lens at 4.4 meters throwing onto a 130inch scope screen is a distance i would not have a problem with.I think i remember reading a post stating that for the JVC projector range on a 130 inch scope screen should be mounted at 4.3m min distance from screen.My celing height is standard 2.4.I want to build a projector cabinet but a little confused about the throw distance.

4400 is ideal, gives you a 3140 wide image at max zoom which is 104mm wider than (my) 130 scope screen - 3036 x 1281.

So you have 52mm left and right for both margin of error and over scan onto your frame.

Thanks Richard now i can start building my mount.Wont be too much longer mate as i have done everything there is to do to get funds and everything approved should be any day now.Just waiting for the phone call and checking my internet banking, if nothing happens tomorrow i will give them a ring to speed things up.

3 hours ago, CAVX said:

Yes Mark the oppo's have the correct mediatek chipset to enable DV without a software emulation like other high end players and avr's pre pro's may get :)

Its a shame that many ce's will choose not to pay any license fees to dolby for the software solution forcing those with expensive avr/pre pro equipment to upgrade or use the 2 hdmi out solution [ which of course means no osd gui overlay for that input ]

One reason my next pre pro will have a proven track record of upgrading hdmi version pcb's -_- Very rare these days ..