Sign in to follow this  
Serentity

Which Power Amp to Buy?

G'day,

Looking at buying (Brand New)  power Amp 3 channel or 5 channel choices are:

Anthem MCA325 3 Channel Power Amplifier,

Elektra HD2 5 Channel Power amplifier or 3 Channel

Budget 4-5k.

Background: Currently using A Denon AVR-3313 to power 7 speakers. Down the track will be looking at Adding 2 more speakers to the ceiling (Atmos), and of course updating the Denon AVR.

In closed Home Theatre room.

Have already discarded the PARASOUND HALO A31 Three Channel Power Amplifier, A to dear B overkill.

Your Thoughts?

Edited by Serentity

For $4k you can look at the Elektra 7 channel or Anthem MCA50. You could throw in the new Emotiva Gen3 XPA7 (7 channel) power amp for roughly $3k as well. All should be good options for you. :)

For $4k you can look at the Elektra 7 channel or Anthem MCA50. You could throw in the new Emotiva Gen3 XPA7 (7 channel) power amp for roughly $3k as well. All should be good options for you. :)

Thanks Oz, I thought they stopped making the MCA50,as I could not see it on Anthem website.

You can pick up the Elektra HD2 for $3k if you ask the right people ;) personally id get the Emotiva 7 channel gen 3 :)

Can I make a radical suggestion?

If you are looking to upgrade your Denon AVR and purchase a power amp you could consider just upgrading the Denon AVR, not purchasing the power amp and spending the difference on room treatments.

Assuming you have speakers of reasonable efficiency and are using subwoofers crossed over at >50hz then a high end AVR will be able to adequately power a 7-9 channel surround system.  You will get far better bang for buck (so to speak) from treating room acoustics than from changing power amplifiers.

Hi HTPC-Guru, I like that price, plus I like buying Aust Brands in Saying I'm looking at the specs of the Emotiva plus I Like the fact it comes with a 5 Year warranty.

Does anyone know what Warranty the Elektra comes with?

6 hours ago, POV said:

Can I make a radical suggestion?

If you are looking to upgrade your Denon AVR and purchase a power amp you could consider just upgrading the Denon AVR, not purchasing the power amp and spending the difference on room treatments.

Assuming you have speakers of reasonable efficiency and are using subwoofers crossed over at >50hz then a high end AVR will be able to adequately power a 7-9 channel surround system.  You will get far better bang for buck (so to speak) from treating room acoustics than from changing power amplifiers.

POV thanks for yr post, my room is already semi sound proof. It still needs some work in that area though.

Maybe an 11ch fully balanced item from Emotiva

92399ef942f01e0207747bca0eef9cc1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23 hours ago, jutta said:

Maybe an 11ch fully balanced item from Emotiva

92399ef942f01e0207747bca0eef9cc1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow very nice.

21 hours ago, JSmith said:

POV is not referring to sound proofing the HT room, he is referring to acoustic room treatments like bass traps, diffusers and acoustic panels.

http://arqen.com/acoustics-101/room-setup-acoustic-treatment/

I have to say I agree with him too.

JSmith :ninja:

Thanks for the web site

On ‎9‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 10:54 PM, sero said:

You can pick up the Elektra HD2 for $3k if you ask the right people ;) personally id get the Emotiva 7 channel gen 3 :)

Who are the right people?

+1 on room treatment. You'd get much more bang for your buck.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

I would go the Emotiva. The Elektra is over-rated here.

On 04/01/2017 at 7:45 PM, Serentity said:

G'day,

Looking at buying (Brand New)  power Amp 3 channel or 5 channel choices are:

Anthem MCA325 3 Channel Power Amplifier,

Elektra HD2 5 Channel Power amplifier or 3 Channel

Budget 4-5k.

Background: Currently using A Denon AVR-3313 to power 7 speakers. Down the track will be looking at Adding 2 more speakers to the ceiling (Atmos), and of course updating the Denon AVR.

In closed Home Theatre room.

Have already discarded the PARASOUND HALO A31 Three Channel Power Amplifier, A to dear B overkill.

Your Thoughts?

for 4-5k can easily pick up an elektra 7ch for your budget. personally am not sure really why bother looking else where when we have the great local product in the elektra. especially when its comparable to imported amps costing twice as much ! 

adding something like the elektra to an avr is a great move to take to another level. something i did myself many many years ago now. there re so many compromises with avrs to try fitting a power stage the ilk of the elektra into an avr is damn near physically  impossible ! and yes it will also open up the upgrade path to replacing the avr with processor. :)

Another option to consider though it is a bit pricier - PS Audio's new Stellar amps are remarkable value. Should be arriving in a month. $2249 for a stereo power amp. Probably easier to sell too if you want to get something else. Still made in USA if that makes a difference to you.

8 hours ago, said:

for 4-5k can easily pick up an elektra 7ch for your budget. personally am not sure really why bother looking else where when we have the great local product in the elektra. especially when its comparable to imported amps costing twice as much ! 

adding something like the elektra to an avr is a great move to take to another level. something i did myself many many years ago now. there re so many compromises with avrs to try fitting a power stage the ilk of the elektra into an avr is damn near physically  impossible ! and yes it will also open up the upgrade path to replacing the avr with processor. :)

7 hours ago, doggiehowser1503564764 said:

Another option to consider though it is a bit pricier - PS Audio's new Stellar amps are remarkable value. Should be arriving in a month. $2249 for a stereo power amp. Probably easier to sell too if you want to get something else. Still made in USA if that makes a difference to you.

Thanks for the input most likely I be going with the Elektra.  Most likely the seven channel one.

10 hours ago, Serentity said:

Thanks for the input most likely I be going with the Elektra.  Most likely the seven channel one.

Many years of good service with my 7ch theatre HD Serentity :) 

If anyone is going to be adding even more atmos channels eventually though the new emo gen 3s have options galore as you can have combinations of mono and stereo modules loaded and can just add as needed all in the one chassis . There are also double wide blades soon that are fully balanced input to output for those who want that sort of power = 3 channels per chassis :cool: Another option vvv besides Jutta's  which is close to the final production piece except for the speaker terminals  ; just to give an example of flexibility for extra zones - no 300w/ch or more with this one..

Should add these amps aren't class a/b but class h so have more efficiency .

Screen_Shot_2016_09_22_at_8_33_22_AM.png

8 hours ago, cwt said:

Many years of good service with my 7ch theatre HD Serentity :) 

If anyone is going to be adding even more atmos channels eventually though the new emo gen 3s have options galore as you can have combinations of mono and stereo modules loaded and can just add as needed all in the one chassis . There are also double wide blades soon that are fully balanced input to output for those who want that sort of power = 3 channels per chassis :cool: Another option vvv besides Jutta's  which is close to the final production piece except for the speaker terminals  ; just to give an example of flexibility for extra zones - no 300w/ch or more with this one..

Should add these amps aren't class a/b but class h so have more efficiency .

Screen_Shot_2016_09_22_at_8_33_22_AM.png

It's very nice, but I have to agree with Al {;)} I like buying Aust Owned products when I can as long as the price difference is not that big. In saying that if I can't get the Elektra at a reasonable price I will be looking at the Emo's again.

3 hours ago, Serentity said:

It's very nice, but I have to agree with Al {;)} I like buying Aust Owned products when I can as long as the price difference is not that big. In saying that if I can't get the Elektra at a reasonable price I will be looking at the Emo's again.

Yes ; I do too especially with the exchange rate ; the emo's are more of a custom fit but if you are happy with fewer atmos channels as you mentioned and don't want to send away for upgrades the Elektra is ace ;)

The one I showed is just an example for maybe a distributed zone model as it is probably under 100w ch ; the single blades are more like it for a home theatres bed channels ;)

I will be putting up my Krell TAS 5 channel amp for sale this week. Link review here:

http://hometheaterreview.com/krell-theater-amplifier-standard-tas-reviewed/

Mines Black and in perfect working order. Purchased 08/06/2004 from Sound & Vision Prahran,Melbourne Vic (no longer there). I have the original box, manual and receipt.

Anyway looking at $4000.00 cost was $11,000. I've decided to downgrade my system and go back to a receiver, so my Anthem D2v(3D) processor will also be up for sale as well.

Edited by SimonNo10

On ‎3‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 7:12 PM, SimonNo10 said:

I will be putting up my Krell TAS 5 channel amp for sale this week. Link review here:

http://hometheaterreview.com/krell-theater-amplifier-standard-tas-reviewed/

Mines Black and in perfect working order. Purchased 08/06/2004 from Sound & Vision Prahran,Melbourne Vic (no longer there). I have the original box, manual and receipt.

Anyway looking at $4000.00 cost was $11,000. I've decided to downgrade my system and go back to a receiver, so my Anthem D2v(3D) processor will also be up for sale as well.

Thanks SimonNo10, but at the moment looking at going brand new, Warranty etc..

It is good to get some real life experience on the Elektra here.

The Elektra was in god tier in the DTV forums and perhaps a notch down here.

What are the alternatives to the Elektra and why?

11 minutes ago, Serpeant said:

The Elektra was in god tier in the DTV forums and perhaps a notch down here.

No doubt an excellent product but just be aware on DTV forum a member used to get them direct from the maker and sell very cheap, you had to be in the club though or ask the right people to get it. It was in their best interest to pump them up. I was told I was an idiot for buying from a retail store.

It is here here as well to a certain extent.