WTB: Cheap AVR

Hi all.  My trusty old Yamaha RXV1800B AVR just bit the dust so im on the lookout for a cheap replacement.  It doesnt need to to do anything the Yamaha didn't so none of this fancy new tech required.  just a few hdmi inputs and a bit of oomph!

please let me know if you have something that might suit.  im out near Ballarat (vic) so likely would have to shipped.

cheers

whoops, yes a price might be helpful!  im hoping to get one as cheap as possible but my max would around the $300 mark.

23 hours ago, hopefullguy said:

selling a denon 3808.. but you havent defined "cheap" :-)

thanks but hoping to be closer to $300 mark than $500. 

8 hours ago, Zinzan said:

Could sell a Denon X4000 if you're interested.  Would be under $1k

thanks but too pricey for me.

Hi Bensl,

I've got a Pioneer LX70, as good as new. It does high resolution formats e.g. DTS HD MA and Dolby TrueHD, which sound fantastic, everything except the latest Atmos/4K.  Never driven hard as I have power amplifiers, but has 7 x 150W on board. 4 HDMI inputs.

From a pet/smoke free home.  In pristine condition not a scratch on it. Thinking $350 plus postage (not sure postage yet). 

I just upgraded to get the latest Atmos/4K, and packed the Pioneer back into its original box.....

On 11/12/2016 at 6:58 PM, bensl said:

Hi all.  My trusty old Yamaha RXV1800B AVR just bit the dust so im on the lookout for a cheap replacement.  It doesnt need to to do anything the Yamaha didn't so none of this fancy new tech required.  just a few hdmi inputs and a bit of oomph!

please let me know if you have something that might suit.  im out near Ballarat (vic) so likely would have to shipped.

cheers

Depending on what's wrong, it may be a cheap fix. I have an rx-v1700 that sometimes wouldn't come on and eventually stopped coming on at all.

The fix was to replace a single capacitor with a $1 replacement from jaycar. More details can be found here:

https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1386168

I'm fairly new to soldering, but was able to do it and it's still going strong now.

Ben

Well I tried the fix in the link and voila the amp powered back to life and I thought great!  Then after about 15mins I heard what sounded like the power supply shorting out (crackling type noise)... I quickly turned it off again so I'm not sure what went wrong. I followed the instructions to a tee.  Just flicked it on quickly again now and there's definitely a problem.  I'm far from an electronics expert so not sure where to from here. It might be cheaper to replace than fix.

cheers  

Edited by bensl