Home Theatre Recliners in Melbourne

Hi Guys,

I'm about to start building my first home and I'll be setting up my first dedicated home theatre, which I'm super excited about. I've already decided on what gear I'm going to use in terms of speakers, projector and screen (already got amp), but need some recommendations on where to buy electric recliners from.

The space I have to work with isn't big (3.9m x 3.9m), so the size of the seats can't be too big. I want to have a row of 4 recliners, with the 2 middle ones being in a loveseat config preferably (but not essential).

Does anyone know of any suppliers that are affordable, but still decent quality and comfy? I've seen some online but don't like the idea of buying seats blind without trying them out first. I had a look at some in The Big Picture people, which were very nice and comfy, but quite pricey at almost 8 grand for a set of 4. Can anyone recommend alternatives for less?

49 minutes ago, xpl0sive said:

Hi Guys,

I'm about to start building my first home and I'll be setting up my first dedicated home theatre, which I'm super excited about. I've already decided on what gear I'm going to use in terms of speakers, projector and screen (already got amp), but need some recommendations on where to buy electric recliners from.

The space I have to work with isn't big (3.9m x 3.9m), so the size of the seats can't be too big. I want to have a row of 4 recliners, with the 2 middle ones being in a loveseat config preferably (but not essential).

Does anyone know of any suppliers that are affordable, but still decent quality and comfy? I've seen some online but don't like the idea of buying seats blind without trying them out first. I had a look at some in The Big Picture people, which were very nice and comfy, but quite pricey at almost 8 grand for a set of 4. Can anyone recommend alternatives for less?

Check out www.ManhattanSeating.com
There's a retailer in QLD that ships to Melbourne. They're the best company I've come across so far in terms of quality and having a love seat in the middle. We are going for the "gotham" style seating next year from them. They're about $6k.

33 minutes ago, xpl0sive said:

was that quote in leather? Because when I spoke to Manhattan Seating direct, they quoted me nearly 9k!

Yeah. Which we don't even want. I want Suede.
I actually reckon I got a quote from them a while ago and it was about $8k. Which I thought was ridiculous ($6k is still pretty pricey). But when I rang them up about a month ago, they gave me a price of about $6k. So unless their pricing has come down, they might have a sale on or something.

Still, unless you want something crap, it's the best I've found so far. This is another mob I found that's a lot more affordable and still looks decent.
https://www.loungeincomfort.com.au/shop/catalog/index.php/home-theatre-lounges-c-49
We
still may go with them. They're in NSW. We were going to drive up and have a look at what they have. Still may!

Ah ok. Yeah they may have dropped their pricing. I do recall them saying at the time that they occasionally do specials, but not sure. Maybe they do cheaper pricing through dealers? It's weird because the seat I was interested in from The Big Picture People was called Emotion, and they wanted 1780 per seat, but when I called up the manufacturer directly they wanted nearly 3k a seat lol.

Those ones from lounge in comfort seem alright, just a shame they're in Syd. I've seen a few of these Sydney stores selling cheap ones but I'm wary about the quality. A lot of them also seem to be big as well. I'm trying to find a set that are around 3m wide, due to the size of the room.

5 hours ago, xpl0sive said:

Hi Guys,

We purchased 2 x Eliza leather recliner suites from HN. 2K for a 2 seater and 2 x 1 seaters. They are super comfy, and though not top quality, if looked after, will serve us well.

You would easily fit all 3 across your room (2 seater in centre and singles either side) with 2 small tables in-between.

They have minimalist backing so the sound can roam freely from your front speakers :)

Personally, I think that the electric recliners and drink holders are a bit of a "take". So many of the "classic" HT recliners look bulky.

I'm just posting this to open your mind to other options than "classic" HT seating.

Here's a pic showing the shape of the seats. The singles are about 840mm wide and the double is 1450mm.

th_tables%20front%201_zpsod0xh5cn.jpg

22 minutes ago, xpl0sive said:

These look good and affordable, just not sure on quality or comfort:

https://www.desiredliving.com.au/sofas/leather-3-2-1-seater/leicester-leather-sofa-lounge-set

Anyone dealt with this company before?

I have placed an order for the Alison (A) 2 x 3 seaters .... ordered on October 19 and I am still waiting for them.  I have been told that they are built in Malaysia and are shipped via a slow-boat and will arrive to me in Perth on December 21.  I went for these as they look stylish are not too bulky and are able to recline (manually), and have the drink holders.  They are a bit slow to respond to queries, took 1 week to process my Visa card, and told me that I would get an email when my order left the factory.  Well guess what ... they didn't inform me, I had to call them to find out (after about 6 calls, each spaced a few days apart).  Hopefully my wait is going to be worth it. 

I designed a 32 cm riser to accommodate the second row of 3 behind the first row. 

Strangely with the carpeted riser in position (with quality foam rubber insulation filling the riser), the bass response of the room has changed quite markedly.  Bass is now deeper and tighter than before ... who would have thought.  I already had bass traps installed in the 4 corners, so the change is unexpected.  I had to turn my sub-woofer down a notch recently when listening to music and watching movies.

Hey mate, Im in Sydney and am in the same boat. We looked around but couldn't justify the ridiculous money a lot were offering. We ended up ordering from lounge in comfort and they were great quality in there showroom. I haven't got them yet I ordered and won't receive till end of next year (they were happy to do a long order due to us waiting on land and house to be built). They make theres out of factory in China from memory but you are able to make changes like colour of cup holders putting the power in or not and even battery operated, you can pick your colours aswell they have a heap of fabric swatches there. The guy there was great and we found them very comfy. We ended up going the same configuration with power and usb chargers in the power outlets for $2559. We got the colorado so it might be bit wide for your room but I trust there quality after seeing in person. hope that may help i know its not in Melbourne but might be worth a trip rather than spending nearly $10k.

1 hour ago, xpl0sive said:

Just called Manhattan Seating, they did quote a cheaper price this time, but their seats are made in China. Not sure I'd want to pay over 6k for seats made in China.

They're designed here though. They must be making a killing though. Cheap labour and expensive pricing.
The US has tons of companies that make these couches for Theatres, I'm surprised there aren't more options available here. Seems like there'd be a market for it. Make a decent (custom made) couch at an affordable price with lots of options and you're in business...

19 hours ago, xpl0sive said:

Those are acruelly not bad! I'm assuming not motorized for that price? are they wall saving as well?

Not motorized, but yes to wall saving. Full leather on all surfaces, not just contact surfaces.

On 07/12/2016 at 7:32 PM, MrC said:

I have placed an order for the Alison (A) 2 x 3 seaters .... ordered on October 19 and I am still waiting for them.  I have been told that they are built in Malaysia and are shipped via a slow-boat and will arrive to me in Perth on December 21.  I went for these as they look stylish are not too bulky and are able to recline (manually), and have the drink holders.  They are a bit slow to respond to queries, took 1 week to process my Visa card, and told me that I would get an email when my order left the factory.  Well guess what ... they didn't inform me, I had to call them to find out (after about 6 calls, each spaced a few days apart).  Hopefully my wait is going to be worth it. 

I designed a 32 cm riser to accommodate the second row of 3 behind the first row. 

Strangely with the carpeted riser in position (with quality foam rubber insulation filling the riser), the bass response of the room has changed quite markedly.  Bass is now deeper and tighter than before ... who would have thought.  I already had bass traps installed in the 4 corners, so the change is unexpected.  I had to turn my sub-woofer down a notch recently when listening to music and watching movies.

thats a long time to be anxious, who did you order from ?

let us know if you get ripped off

Edited by mello yello

2 minutes ago, mello yello said:

thats a long time to be anxious, who did you order from ?

let us know if you get ripped off

I ordered from Desired Living ... a company that has its base in Sydney.  I just got an email to say that delivery will be between 21st and 23rd December.  I laughed when they say "oh and to ensure you get your delivery on time, we appreciate that you pay the balance (some $2000) by December 13" 

40 minutes ago, mello yello said:

did they specify which year ?

ah, ok, just in time for the "must be lost in the Christmas rush" email

no .... but I have made payment so I don't have to wait any longer than I need to.  I did send them a reply email saying how I thought what they said as "insulting" to the client.  So they had better deliver on time!!

22 hours ago, Dylan86.exe said:

They're designed here though. They must be making a killing though. Cheap labour and expensive pricing.
The US has tons of companies that make these couches for Theatres, I'm surprised there aren't more options available here. Seems like there'd be a market for it. Make a decent (custom made) couch at an affordable price with lots of options and you're in business...

Yeah I know, I just don't feel comfortable paying that much money for seats made in China really, when there are cheaper alternatives which are also made in China. The fact that I can't try them out either is a bit of an issue. I was quoted around 6.1k for fabric, 7.1k for leather.

I'm gonna go check out this tomorrow:

http://www.sunshinefurniture.com.au/collections/theatre-sofas/products/galaxy-leather-theatre-lounge-electric-recliners 

Yeah I know, I just don't feel comfortable paying that much money for seats made in China really, when there are cheaper alternatives which are also made in China. The fact that I can't try them out either is a bit of an issue. I was quoted around 6.1k for fabric, 7.1k for leather.

I'm gonna go check out this tomorrow:

http://www.sunshinefurniture.com.au/collections/theatre-sofas/products/galaxy-leather-theatre-lounge-electric-recliners 

They're actually really nice. Do you know if they do them in a love seat? And are they made in Aus?

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

I just spoke to them on the phone and asked if they could customize and make the centre a love seat and they said yes. I didn't ask where they were made, but my guess is China. Definitely wouldn't be made in Aus for that price. I can let you know what I think of them once I check them out.

I just spoke to them on the phone and asked if they could customize and make the centre a love seat and they said yes. I didn't ask where they were made, but my guess is China. Definitely wouldn't be made in Aus for that price. I can let you know what I think of them once I check them out.

Yep definitely! Keep us posted OP. We're getting close to that stage.

On 09/12/2016 at 0:42 PM, Dylan86.exe said:

Yep definitely! Keep us posted OP. We're getting close to that stage.

I checked these out today, they are very nice! look very stylish, we're fairly comfortable although a little soft. they measured at 335cm wide, with the arm rest section measuring around 18cm each. they can remove the centre arm rest to make the center a love seat, which also brings the overall width down too. can be made in a few colours. the demo one I saw was in white and the motor operation was very smooth and quiet. its a wall saver unit too, which is good.

Still got time to decide, but I think I might go for these.

I checked these out today, they are very nice! look very stylish, we're fairly comfortable although a little soft. they measured at 335cm wide, with the arm rest section measuring around 18cm each. they can remove the centre arm rest to make the center a love seat, which also brings the overall width down too. can be made in a few colours. the demo one I saw was in white and the motor operation was very smooth and quiet. its a wall saver unit too, which is good.
Still got time to decide, but I think I might go for these.

That sounds promising. Is the fabric suede? And how soft are they? I know cheaper couches can sag over time if they're soft. I'd imagine these are made in china? So that's the last thing id want if they're still about $4k. Might go for a drive next weekend and check them out.