TV calibration & backlight

I don't know if this question has been asked before, but  here goes.

I have the Disney WOW TV Optimization Blu-Ray Disc, i was wondering about how to set the backlight when calibrating the contrast and the brightness on the TV, do i just turn down the backlight completely, or use it in conjunction with the brightness settings?

Thanks in advance to anyone with some info and guidance.

Edited by Uncle Chachee

Using the appropriate colour and grey scale ramp patterns set the "contrast" as high as possible before clipping is observed in any individual colour or grey at or near maximum level. Go a couple of clicks lower to be sure.

Using the appropriate pattern set the "brightness" control (it should be called blackness control) to optimise black level under the ambient lighting conditions in use. Video level 16 should be as black as the TV is capable of while level 17 and up should be visibly brighter. When you have done this properly one click up in brightness should visibly increase black level and one click down should make no difference to black (level 16). For optimal performance you will need a different setting for bright and dark rooms because your eyes cant see dark shades in a bright room and requires a higher "brightness" setting.

In a dark room a "brightness" setting higher than optimal will increase black level unnecessarily and destroy your native contrast.

Now, once you have done the above the "back light" control is used to adjust how bright the picture is. Turn it down and the whole picture will be dimmer, improving black level and making the picture suitable for dark room viewing. Turn it up to make the whole picture brighter for bright room viewing.

Don't use the "contrast" and or "brightness" controls to achieve this, they are now set.

On 11/25/2016 at 8:06 AM, mwd said:

Free Calibration to set levels and colours Just download AVCHD.7z Unzip and burn the ISO file to DVD and use that in a Blu Ray Player or fancy games console.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-display-calibration/948496-avs-hd-709-blu-ray-mp4-calibration.html

Yep i have that Calibration disc as well, on a rewritable blu-ray disc, Ta.

The Samsung has arrived and setup and looking good, just waiting for the liquid crystals to settle after a a few months of use, then i will calibrate the picture.

The sound is also good for such a very thin TV, i was amazed at how good it is, but in saying that i have connected my Yamaha YAS-101 soundbar, no subwoofer and it sounds even better, but i intend to by another sounbar with wireless subwoofer and hopefully it has the option to mute the sound via the TV's R/C, the YAS-101 lacks that feature.

Thanks everyone for all the info.

Edited by Uncle Chachee

Calibration is mostly about colour and gamma adjustment, neither of which can be done without a reliable colour meter and software package.

A "calibration" disk is only useful to check contrast adjustment, once you have dont that throw the disk in a draw and forget about it.