Reception issues through PVR but not TV

I'm having reception issues through a Humax PVR. Since daylight saving started the reception keeps dropping out and scrambling on the PVR but not the TV, particularly during the early evening. Signal strength and quality are 100% when I check on the PVR. I've tried checking the connections and retuning the channels a few times. Can anyone help with a possible fix?

I've also noticed a neighbours's Foxtel Hub recently started appearing in my wifi network connections since this started happening. Could this be causing the problem?

Edited by Joan10

Hi Joan,

Wifi has no impact on TV reception. Nor does daylight savings (sun still does its thing even if we measure it differently :))

You mention TV versus PVR reception which suggests you split the signal somehow? You shouldn't need TV reception if you view everything via the PVR. I'd suggest simplifying the cables. Wall plate to PVR. PVR to TV.

Regards

Peter Gillespie 

Daylight saving does have an effect. If you keep watching the same programs, the recording/viewing starts an hour earlier! In marginal areas this combined with a change of season can affect marginal signals.

Is the antenna cable going from the wall into antenna in  and another cable from antenna out both on the PVR go on to the TV antenna in?

I suggest you go into the settings/installation menu of the PVR and check the following when the problems are occuring;

Antenna power is off.

Under system

In the signal detection menu check the signal strength and the quality and reply to this post.

Check the data storage to ensure the hard drive is not full.

Is there any error messages?

Alanh

18 hours ago, Joan10 said:

I've tried checking the connections and retuning the channels a few times.

Try resetting your Humax to factory settings & set it up again to see if this helps.

If that has no effect, what model of Humax PVR, make/model of TV, & how is your recorder connected to the TV? HDMI or composite cable?

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to try some of the things suggested if and when it starts happening tonight. Picture quality would always be variable during the early evening at this time of year in my area back in the analogue days.

Antenna cable has always been from wall to PVR (Humax 7510T) but I've started by removing the cable that links the antenna signal from the PVR to the Samsung TV seeing as I usually only watch through the PVR and use the TV when two other things are recording. HDMI cable from PVR to TV is still in place. Will see how that goes. I assumed the Antenna signal to the TV would be weaker if I was linking it from the PVR so was confused as to why the picture would fail on the PVR and not the TV. Perhaps a better quality tuner in the TV  or the dual tuner in the Humax drains signal strength?

EDIT: This appears to be happening when both tuners are in use- watching one channel while recording another. Signal strength seems to be fluctuating wildly. Will I lose all my recordings if I do a factory reset?

Edited by Joan10

3 hours ago, Joan10 said:

Picture quality would always be variable during the early evening at this time of year in my area back in the analogue days.

What is your location? It's possible, if your antenna has not been looked at for a while, to consider having this done.

I assumed the Antenna signal to the TV would be weaker if I was linking it from the PVR

Not usually an issue, as there are methods implemented in the recorder to prevent signal loss.

Perhaps a better quality tuner in the TV  or the dual tuner in the Humax drains signal strength?

If the Humax & Samsung are in good order, this shouldn't be a consideration. Poor quality RF cables, eg from the wallplate to the recorder, & then to the TV, could cause what you are experiencing to happen.

HDMI cable from PVR to TV is still in place.

In cases of poor signal, some recorder/TV combinations can play up when connected via HDMI. The quick test to rule this out is to remove the HDMI cable completely, & connect via composite cable to see if the problem is still there.

Will I lose all my recordings if I do a factory reset?

No.

2 hours ago, I am not a duck said:

If the Humax & Samsung are in good order, this shouldn't be a consideration. Poor quality RF cables, eg from the wallplate to the recorder, & then to the TV, could cause what you are experiencing to happen.

I had already tried a different RF cable but just tried another, from another set in the house, with a slightly different connector. It seems to have fixed the problem. No longer getting scrambled picture while recording one channel and watching another. The real test will be tomorrow night at around sunset when this problem has been particularly bad.

The antenna had been looked at twice in the last two years. It's hard to get to as it's on the roof of a double storey house. I was surprised he didn't replace the cabling to the outlets when he looked at it (they're 30 years old) but the signal seemed to be strong enough. Surprised to have had the problem now after being trouble free for a while. Also have problems with cockies perching on antenna and pecking at the cable.

Thanks so much for the help and suggestions. I'm glad I didn't have to go to the expense of getting someone out again or replacing equipment.

Hi Joan,

Hope it stays sorted. FYI yes different equipment can have different reception capabilities. Analogue signals degrade slowly as the reception decreases. Digital is designed to maintain 100% PQ as the reception decreases UNTILit hits the digital cliff. That's the point the tuner can't get enough data and very suddenly (cliff) you get no picture.

Since you are getting mostly enough signal, if you need to revisit the issue then a booster like this will almost surely fix your issue

Regards

Peter Gillespie

OK. I've given up on this. Scrambled picture when using the dual tuner PVR returned at the usual time today. I've been fiddling with cables for hours and tried the PVR on another TV, one I seldom use. That TV isn't getting any signal at all. It was the last time I used it a couple of months ago. The PVR when connected to the wall plate where that TV is manages to pick up a broken signal but won't let me watch one channel and record another without scrambling the picture completely.

The antenna has obviously moved during high winds or the cockies have gotten to it again. What really annoys me is that I told the man who came to fix it twice in the last two years I wanted a permanent solution because I couldn't afford to keep getting it fixed all the time. I still have the same damn problem. I expect the signal will just keep getting worse until I can afford to have it fixed again or I'll drive myself nuts with indoor antennas.

8 hours ago, Joan10 said:

I expect the signal will just keep getting worse until I can afford to have it fixed again or I'll drive myself nuts with indoor antennas.

Or you could just implement the $35 solution I suggested above?

Sorry (but not surprised) to here the problem has returned. If you do get an antenna guy out again try have it when the signal is doggiest.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Edited by pgdownload

17 minutes ago, Joan10 said:

Can I ask if the signal booster you suggested plugs into the wall antenna outlet or does it have to be connected to the antenna itself. Antenna is inaccessable to me- too high.

Plugs into the wall next to the TV. You run the antenna cable from the wall plate into it and then 2 cables out (one to the TV, one to the PVR). Note you can find a powered splitter in any local electronics store if you want to go shopping this weekend. I should say this is not 100% guaranteed, but given your symptoms I'd say its extremely likely to fix your reception issue.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

• 2 months later...

I dont like the sound of your 'TV Tech'.  I've had customers who never had watchable analogue TV now have trouble free dvb. - good for them but does me out of work.

Your problem sounds to me like cabling - dvb works great with low signal but doesn't like bad connections or poorly shielded cable. 

You said you used a cable "with a slightly different connector." - You need the right fly lead in good condition. Probably 75% of the service calls I did after dvb started was due to poor quality fly leads or old rusty wall-points.  If moving the leads around affects the picture then their no good. Plug the cable from the wall straight into the recorder and then loop the recorder to the TV - if the problem persists only on recorder but tv works then recorder has a bad tuner. If problem comes on to TV as well then you've got bad cables - Most important with digital is to keep it simple - straight from the antenna to the device with as few connections as possible.  

Not sure of the cable from your roof - Good RG6 cable has been around for a long time and will last a lot longer but if its poor quality, it could be the issue. Most so called TV Techs around Cairns wouldn't change the cable even if it was the problem - too hard, too hot, too dirty - easier to just charge you for coming out and advising. 

Amps may help a bit but are not fixing the problem and are expensive - simple is best - as long as antenna hasn't fallen completely apart it should be 1000x better than rabbit-ears. Good cable - f-type connectors (screw on) - and never have a problem again

- best long term solution - hook TV up to internet - get nbn - watch what you want when you want and do away with ads.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Sorry for the kick start of an old thread but I have a problem that's not worth starting a new thread.

I have an old Beyonwiz pvr I'm trying to set up at a friends place. I can get an ok signal from both the pvr tuner and the tv's tuner but as soon as I plug in a portable hdd to the pvr it starts messing up the picture on tv and pvr. The cable from the hdd has a usb at one end and the other has the same but also and additional short length with another male usb plug. I'm wondering if this is the problem. Any suggestions on why the hdd is disrupting the signal?

• 11 months later...

@legselevens - if you come back here's some tips to consider and anyone else looking here...

The USB cables won't cause any issues. If the PVR power is used to drive your external hard drive then power might be the problem. Power packs for PVRs and other devices are enough for the device but little chance of supplying any additional devices. 

I have one of Topfield's PVRs and hate the sync issues - audio runs fine but visuals keep sticking and catching up for both TV and recorded material. I'm in IT so my first thought was that the hard drives do a lot of work but these are built to a price so even with big name hard drives these have to be suspect. Mine is sensitive to heat. Cold days it works fine. Unplug the power for an awhile and it works fine. It also does not like moving the box while watching which is a strong indicator of a poor hard drive.

Other techs have also suggested trying another hard drive but my advice is to make sure you buy a high quality one made for Surveillance. It costs a bit more but then you need to be serious about a long term fix, not price. Surveillance drives are designed for 24/7 use and multiple video feeds, like security cameras. They can and do ware out so it's not surprising. Do Not use a standard hard drive for a computer, they can't hack it for long. I doubt cables are as big an issue as this forum has suggested. These are primarily digital devices built to a low price with TV receiver attached. 

The lady with the issues at sunset when she records two channels at once may be overloading the hard drive's capabilities. It's usually the warmest part of the day too and in cooler weather heaters are turned on. That is when mine pays up - when it warms up. My Topfiled was a problem from the start but Topfield went bust almost the day I bought it!! No one will touch it now. I have to skills to fault find and fix so I intend to but a high quality Surveillance hard drive to replace the old one which was a Western Digital 320 Giga Byte labelled wd3200buct. 

I have yet to try this but I'm very confident given how I've described my symptoms. Good luck if you still haven't found a fix.