Polaroid TV from Big W

My parents are visiting from the UK. My Dad went to Big W and bought us a new TV. I'm not that up on TV's so I've been looking online for info. Weird thing is I can't find the model anywhere!!

Polaroid ultra high definition 49"
LED LCD Smart TV PU-4916UHD

Not that happy with it to be honest. I noticed films looks terrible on it. When I tried to find out why I came across something called the 'soap opera effect'. Apparently there's a setting to turn off what causes this. But this TV does seem to have it! I've also noticed a scratch behind the display (looks like a line of dead pixels) so I'm lolling to take it back anyway. Hoping I can get a refund a get something. Still perplexed as to why I can't find this set online anywhere!

Last I heard the Polaroid brand for TV/DVD/BR/etc was licenced by Starlight - a HK company assembling in Guangzhou from components out of the same pool as other cheap Chinese manufacturers. You might find your model or something similar amongst the lines carried by Walmart, Asda, etc.

Polaroid - the original company - is nothing more than a brand licensor these days, and the only connection between current "Polaroid" products and any of the original history and quality is the name...

• 4 weeks later...

Missed my chance to return this piece of **** to Big W. But I did hear back from Tempo Pty, who push out these things (nothing to do with Polaroid). Sounds like a bit of a dud to me. And also seems bad it has the Polaroid name on the thing (and start-up screen) but basically has nothing to do with Polaroid! Very misleading for consumers. Well, consumers like my Dad anyway! I would have preferred to do a bit of research before going to the nearest store & buying something based on the company name. Guess I'm stuck with it now. 

Sent: Tuesday, 6 December 2016 11:43 AM
Subject: RE: PU-4916UHD TV

Hi, 

Thanks for your email. 

We would recommend adjusting the noise reduction level which can be found under the picture settings. Unfortunately we have been advised that there is no motion flow adjustment. 

As for the netflix service, the TV does not support downloading applications or the netflix service directly, the recommendeation is to connect a network streaming device. 

The majority of the information can be found via the instruction manual. 

Kind Regards,  

Kenneth 

Tempo (Aust) Pty Ltd
AUS | NZ | USA | GmBH |UK | HK |China

Email: info@tempoaustralia.com.au

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Monday, December 05, 2016 8:29 AM
To: info <info@tempo.org>
Cc: polaroid@aticoau.com
Subject: FW: PU-4916UHD TV

Hi,

I recently purchased a Polaroid TV set from a Big W store (NSW, Australia). The model is a PU-4916UHD. I’ve been trying to find if there is a way to adjust the frame rate / Motion smoothing to improve the picture quality. I’m also trying to work out how I can view Netflix on this set – there isn’t a smart app & there doesn’t seem to be a way to get one. I also wasn’t able to find the set online anywhere! I’m just wondering where I might be able to find more information about this set?

Kind Regards,

Edited by Dogboy73

3 hours ago, Dogboy73 said:

Missed my chance to return this piece of **** to Big W. But I did hear back from Tempo Pty, who push out these things (nothing to do with Polaroid). Sounds like a bit of a dud to me. And also seems bad it has the Polaroid name on the thing (and start-up screen) but basically has nothing to do with Polaroid! Very misleading for consumers. Well, consumers like my Dad anyway! I would have preferred to do a bit of research before going to the nearest store & buying something based on the company name. Guess I'm stuck with it now. 

Not sure what you mean by missed your chance? Generally you take it back and say its PQ is not up to scratch and you'd like to return it. Possibly they'll say store credit but you might get cash if you ask.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

• 2 years later...
On ‎8‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 9:41 PM, pgdownload said:

Big W have a pretty generous return policy. If you want to return it just take it back (with packaging preferably) and say you want to return it. 

Regards

Peter Gillespie

I did just that and they said they had to send it to be repaired ! It's only six months old and I have tried to make it work. No chance of downloading apps even SBS on Demand, sound is rubbish and won't connect to any sound bars I've tried heaps. WiFi cuts in and out for no reason but my other devices don't do this

Did you stress that it had dead pixels when you returned it? If so, they won't repair that type of fault, they may offer either a new set (unforunately) or a refund (hopefully).