Sign in to follow this  
swans05

FTA without Foxtel

Hey Everyone,

We've just had Foxtel turned off for the time being but I can't tune my TV into the FTA channels1

The house has an aerial and we have the chord all plugged in...I've tried the manual tune on the TV nut nothing comes up.

Do I need a box or an adaptor or something?

I've had Foxtel for 20yrs so I've never needed to tune my TV before but this is a TV we got from some relo's and thus we don't have the instructions manual or anything.

Thanks

If you post model numbers we can find the manuals (or do a google search yourself - "[model no] manual") 

Its possible (likely) there's an issue with the antenna / cables. If its an option, take the TV to a neighbor / friend and plug it into their aerial and do a channel scan. If it works you know the issue is your aerial. If it doesn't you know the issue is your TV / setup.

You could also buy a cheap indoor antenna from Tandy etc. Should cost around $30. If the issue is your antenna then its likely (not 100% sure) this will get you a signal for watching FTA TV until Foxtel comes back on.

PS Foxtel did have a policy of removing antennas and disabling FTA cabling as a 'customer service' back in the day.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

1 hour ago, pgdownload said:

You could also buy a cheap indoor antenna from Tandy etc. Should cost around $30. If the issue is your antenna then its likely (not 100% sure) this will get you a signal for watching FTA TV until Foxtel comes back on.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Might take a while to get one from Tandy....they closed in 2010(??). Aldi quiet often have them.

Your TV may not be equipped with a digital tuner, if so a digital set top box will be needed.

Is there an option in the menu for tuning digital?

3 hours ago, pgdownload said:

If you post model numbers we can find the manuals (or do a google search yourself - "[model no] manual") 

Its possible (likely) there's an issue with the antenna / cables. If its an option, take the TV to a neighbor / friend and plug it into their aerial and do a channel scan. If it works you know the issue is your aerial. If it doesn't you know the issue is your TV / setup.

PS Foxtel did have a policy of removing antennas and disabling FTA cabling as a 'customer service' back in the day.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

We have an antenna, a new one it looks and I texted the house owner and he said he just put it in back in 2014

The tv only has one hole that isn't a red/yellow/white option so the cables must be correct surely? Unless the actual cable is broken??

1 hour ago, digitalj said:

Your TV may not be equipped with a digital tuner, if so a digital set top box will be needed.

Is there an option in the menu for tuning digital?

So when I go to the menu of my TV it has an option for channel tuning with the following options:

- auto tuning

- dtv tuning (digital i assume?)

- avt tuning

The auto tune simply goes through both dtv and atv options all at once but it doesn't seem to pick anything up

Swan you did not say where you are.

If the signals are week in your area, there may be a box on the antenna pole which contains an amplifier. If so there should be a plug pack which plugs into the power point and between the antenna socket on the wall and the TV. Make sure the power is on.

Also on the wall antenna socket is there more than one socket. If the Foxtel was via satellite there will not be any local terrestrial signals on it, the other socket may have the signals from the terrestrial antenna. If Foxtel is via cable, then make sure that the antenna cable goes from the wall directly to the TV.

The options quoted above show that you have a digitla tuner. Select only the dtv tuning as there is no analog transmissions in Australia anymore.

You will not require a set top box except for HD and racing broadcasts if you can see ordinary programs and not those (excluding SBSHD).

If you still have no joy, you will need to get an antenna installer to sort it out. The antenna installer can measure the signal at the receiver and prove that the signal is adequate. Digital reception either works or it doesn't not like analog TV which gradually gets worse.

Alanh

17 minutes ago, alanh said:

Swan you did not say where you are.

If the signals are week in your area, there may be a box on the antenna pole which contains an amplifier. If so there should be a plug pack which plugs into the power point and between the antenna socket on the wall and the TV. Make sure the power is on.

Also on the wall antenna socket is there more than one socket. If the Foxtel was via satellite there will not be any local terrestrial signals on it, the other socket may have the signals from the terrestrial antenna. If Foxtel is via cable, then make sure that the antenna cable goes from the wall directly to the TV.

The options quoted above show that you have a digitla tuner. Select only the dtv tuning as there is no analog transmissions in Australia anymore.

You will not require a set top box except for HD and racing broadcasts if you can see ordinary programs and not those (excluding SBSHD).

If you still have no joy, you will need to get an antenna installer to sort it out. The antenna installer can measure the signal at the receiver and prove that the signal is adequate. Digital reception either works or it doesn't not like analog TV which gradually gets worse.

Alanh

I'm in Melb Alan and I'll jump on the roof tomorrow and have a look at the antenna

There are 2 separate holes in the wall - 1 for Foxtel chord and 1 for the antenna chord 

I've tried both plugs to tune the tv but no success

28 minutes ago, swans05 said:

So when I go to the menu of my TV it has an option for channel tuning with the following options:

- auto tuning

- dtv tuning (digital i assume?)

- avt tuning

The auto tune simply goes through both dtv and atv options all at once but it doesn't seem to pick anything up

Yes the dtv tuning option is for digital tv.

At least we now know it's not the TV lacking a digital tuner (unless the tuner itself needs replacing).

On 29/10/2016 at 7:21 PM, swans05 said:

I've had Foxtel for 20yrs

Are you certain the wall-plate is still connected to the aerial cable?

I ask as Foxtel used to be notorious at cutting the FTA cable when they installed their service...

You will need to follow the cable from the antenna to the wall-plate... can you get under the house?

If it is connected... try some old rabbit ears. Failing that, get an installer in with a signal meter.

JSmith :ninja:

Trace the TV Antenna coaxial cable from the aerial to it's splitter and ensure it's connected to the point, be it your Foxtel point or whatever