Sign in to follow this  
garethb

5 centres in 5.1 setup

Hi, I'm fairly new to home theatre, only really started a few months back. Only ever had HTIB setups previously as I lived in units, but have moved into a house this last year and wanting to get a decent setup.

The first speaker I was able to get was a Aaron cc120. Long story short, got it off a mate for a case of beer after he upgraded. At this point, my little pioneers were being outclassed by the centre and while on gumtree I saw another cc120 going cheap. I had a read a few times that matching LCR is the way to go so I went for it and started looking for a third which I was able to get. Now I have 3 of these for my LCR channels. 2 vertical, the centre horizontal. 

I was in the process  of looking for some bookshelves to put as the surrounds but in my searching, I noticed 2 cc120's on an auction site and looks like I can get them at an absolute steal! 

So, would 5 of these speakers (the rears vertical as well) work in 5.1 setup? I really do like the sound of these speakers but I have also read MTM (mid-tweeter-mid) style speakers aren't well suited for surrounds. Would I better leaving these and getting bookshelves even though its an almost too good a price to pass up? Would the benefits of timbre matching outweigh the downsides of MTM surrounds?

I my lounge, the fronts are around 3.8m from the main seat, and the rears will be around the same.

Edited by garethb83

I think the 'same speakers, you like the sound and  the right price ' would out way any negative reasons. Would you have the L and R at the same height from the floor as the rears?

they will be slightly higher, at the back of the room angled down slightly to pass just over head high at the listening position. I don't have much choice really, best I could get away with with the bosses permission. Would that have any major impact not being on the same level?

Edited by garethb83

2 hours ago, garethb said:

they will be slightly higher, at the back of the room angled down slightly to pass just over head high at the listening position. I don't have much choice really, best I could get away with with the bosses permission. Would that have any major impact not being on the same level?

Gareth ;sounds ok ; one reason the surrounds should be aimed just above head height is for ambience and directionality ie a plane going overhead or an object panning from the front to the rear .The reason most center channels are a tweeter between too midranges [ called a d'appolito array ] is to give a point source effect ; exactly whats needed for dialogue and why a good cc like the aaron will have horizontal dispersion characteristics suited to horizontal mounting ..

This doesn't mean you can just flip one on its side ; but if price is a factor and their timbre matched by brand anything is better than htib speakers :) Some like monopole speakers [like 2 ways] for the surrounds as pinpointing sounds appeals ; others like bipoles which give some direct as well as non localisable ambience and very rarely some like dipoles which are all about ambience  

If you could mount them within these vvv off axis parameters the horizontal dispersion should gel ok the closer you get to 0 degrees I feel ?:)

http://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/surround-sound-speaker-setup/5-1-setup.html

So the surrounds in a 5.1 setup should be at 90deg to the seats? Didn't know that and that has just made my job easier. I thought they should be behind.

I thought Mr Aaron would know better than me and wondered if I should keep them all horizontal, but one article I read on Audioholics convinced me that vertical is best even for expensive centres http://www.audioholics.com/loudspeaker-design/vertical-vs-horizontal-speaker-designs

18 hours ago, garethb said:

So the surrounds in a 5.1 setup should be at 90deg to the seats? Didn't know that and that has just made my job easier. I thought they should be behind.

I thought Mr Aaron would know better than me and wondered if I should keep them all horizontal, but one article I read on Audioholics convinced me that vertical is best even for expensive centres http://www.audioholics.com/loudspeaker-design/vertical-vs-horizontal-speaker-designs

If 5.1 I'd place slightly behind the seats but to the side, maybe at 30deg tops

If setting up to have 7.1 at some stage id place beside the seats at 90deg and you add the rears behind the seats down the road somewhere

19 hours ago, garethb said:

It depends on the off axis directivity of the tweeter as audioholics says Gareth

we have improved the smoothness of the speaker’s off-axis response a great deal. In the midrange drivers’ frequencies, the standard deviation improved to 1.19.

;that's with a high directivity horn tweeter and you have a dome one ; also off axis response with vertical orientation isn't as important for surrounds as it would be for center channel usage . Experiment as its a compromise  ;   as they say best of all is a proper 2 way to  avoid combing effects ; the much smoother frequency response shows how much

http://www.audioholics.com/loudspeaker-design/vertical-vs-horizontal-speaker-designs/150-vertical-chart3.jpg/image_view_fullscreen

One solution is to completely avoid their center channel and use a bookshelf speaker

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By zakblue
      Item: DSE 5.1 Surround Speaker System with Subwoofer
      Price: $150 - make me an offer!
      Item Condition: Good, all tested and working
      Reason for selling: NLR
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, Local only
      Extra Info:

I inherited this 5.1 system from my parents recently. The sub is in storage so not pictured but it is 10" 100w ported design
      same as (http://dsesub.tripod.com/front.jpg)

• By garethb
      Item: Complete Aaron speaker set, Yamaha RX-V3081, Rotel RB-985
      Price: 2700 (price drop) (rrp over 10k) (donation to stereo.net)
      Item Condition: good - mostly very good
      Reason for selling: Home reno and losing cinema
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
      Extra Info: 
      Aaron speakers and condition:
      2 x ATS-4 (left/right) 9/10
      1 x CC240 (centre) 7.5/10
      4 x CC120 (surrounds) 9/10
      2 x SS60 (surrounds) 9/10
      4 x SS10 (height) 9/10
      You can use either the ss60 for rears or all cc120 surrounds (what I used)
      Subs
      Aaron sub240 9/10
      Aaron sub240 6.5/10
      Each sub240 is 200w dual 10inch woofers
      To get a sense of size, subs are about 76cm high
      Receiver
      Yamaha RX-V3081 9.2 with 11.2 pre-outs (ATMOS/DTS-X)
      Condition 9.5/10
      Power amp
      Rotel RB-985 THX certified power amp (5x100w)
      Condition 8/10

Also includes enough 14awg speaker cable for any configuration (100m).

Happy to split as long as most of the stuff goes so please let me know if you're interested, last time I wanted all of it to go before splitting so might make it work this time.

Happy to ship (its not as expensive as you might think on a pallet).

Home reno means we're going open plan and losing a few rooms, one of those rooms is the home theater.

Happy to demo for serious buyers in completely unsuitable open plan room  (without height speakers but even so theres enough there to still put a smile on your face)

Pictures:

• By JimmyDee
      Item: Wharfedale Crystal 2 - 5.1 Surround Speakers & PowerCube 12+ Subwoofer
      Price: $400
      Item Condition: Great
      Reason for selling: Surplus
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, EFT
      Extra Info: Great condition

Center - WH-1.1; 10-120W; 4-8 Ohms
      Left/Right - Crystal 2-40; 150W; 6 Ohms
      Surround - WH-1.1; 10-80W; 4-8 Ohms
      Subwoofer - Powercube 12+ ; 150W; 25-170Hz Freq Response

Photos: Advertisements without photos of the actual item will not be approved.

• By Spinnergeoff
      Item: Subsonic Fusion III Speaker System
      Price: $1200 ono
      Item Condition: used but good
      Reason for selling: my hobby is building and/or rescuing speakers; can't keep them all, but it's looking increasingly as if I'll be remodelling the theatre room to fit these in as they sound better than what I'm using now but are an awkward fit for the room as it stands. (That can be fixed if there are no takers)
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
      Extra Info: 
      This is a set from the late 1990s, designed by Ralph Waters who was also the founder and designer of the Richter speakers back in the 1990s. The large front and rear speakers are the same except that the front L+R+Centre each have an inbuilt powered subwoofer, so the bass generated by this setup is amazing.

But it's not just about bass - the audio quality is exceptional and can be used for music as well as movies. They originally sold for around $7k, in fact the dealer's receipt I have for this set shows $7999. The drivers used are high class and have rubber surrounds, so last a long time. The inbuilt subwoofer amplifier is rated at 225w, and the low frequency response specified is down to 25Hz. There is actually no specified power rating for the five speakers, but sensible use will not damage most speakers regardless of the maximum power output of the amplifier.

Cabinets are heavily built, with the floor standers weighing in at 18Kg each. Apart from some fading of the Jarrah veneers, the speaker cabinets and grilles are good. The amplifier had some mains filter caps and two transistors needing replacement and this has been done - fairly standard maintenenance in a power amp - with thanks to the original amplifier designer who supplied schematics, and a friendly tech who did the component replacements. 
      The sound is sensational. You'd have to pay upwards of $10k now in new gear to get near this audio quality combined with theatrical slam.

Original Documentation: comes with various original brochures and instructions - see photo.

How they connect up: They connect from the surround amplifier as follows - on the back plate of the Main (R) speaker there are inputs for L+R+C. The inbuilt sub amp and associated circuitry sorts the bass from the midrange and treble, and directs signals to the appropriate drivers. Signals to the Centre and front Left (Slave) are via thick four wire cables (supplied) from the Main which plug in via Neutrik plugs. The rear effects speakers connect directly as per usual from the surround amp/receiver.  
      The surround amp should be set for front & centre speakers Large, and Subwoofer Off. The three subwoofers have their own volume control on the back plate so the amount of bass can be adjusted to suit your taste and the efficiency of the speakers in your room. My tests with action movies have been exciting - I had to back off the bass volume a bit because it was shaking the room.

Dimensions: All four floor standers are 1120x210x285 (hwd) while the centre is 235x700x380 (hwd).  
      Delivery & Setup: free and done by me in the Sydney metro area. Otherwise ask - if it's within the realms of possibility I'll travel further and charge for petrol etc. I have no packaging material for these, so shipping by courier would present problems, but could possibly be organised - ask me about this. Let me know about your surround amplifier and room just to confirm suitability and whether any other cables are needed.

Pictures:

• By mud_shark
      Item: Whatmough Synergy 2 series 5.1 Home Theatre Speakers (5 x satellite and 1 x powered sub-woofer)
      Price:  $500
      Item Condition: Very good condition. There are some surface marks on some of the speakers, and you can see a small mark on the front grille of the subwoofer - refer pics. Excellent performance. For the money I think these are a steal (yes, am obviously biased here).
      Reason for selling: No Longer Required
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal
      Extra Info: Excellent sound and thundering, yet clean,bass... there have been a delight to use. Worth well over $2000 when new. Please look at the photos to see specifications. Kordz Subwoofer cable included.
      I am unable to demo as I've sold my surround amp. Depending on where in Melbourne you are I may be able to come to you.. 

Relist as previous sale fell through at the last moment.

References:
      http://www.digitalreviews.net/news/industry-news/what-a-coincidence-whatmough-synergy2-speakers.html
      http://www.bettercomputers.com.au/whatmough-synergy-2-series-5.1-home-theatre-speakers.html

Pictures: