WIN Canberra channel details after frequency changes in July 2016

Hi,

In July 2016, WIN and Southern Cross swapped frequencies, so now WIN Canberra is carrying Ten/One/Eleven (where it used to be Nine/Gem/Go). I was able to manually swap the frequency details in my PVR to get the new Southern Cross channels working, but the WIN channels don't. Does anyone have the new WIN channel SI details (including frequency/ONID/TSID/SID), correct as of July 2016?

Thanks

You've missed the point, Alan - the OP wants the service information details.

14 hours ago, Banest said:

I'm using a software PVR...I can't just auto-tune, I need to put the above info for the channels into my FRQ file

What software PVR (& hardware)? There's usually some way of scanning/searching/reading it from the broadcast, though it may involve command-line tools

Although - is that you who posted elsewhere about the same problem with a HDHomerun? That may present a problem, since they don't bother to even think about looking at the received signal for that info - you're right, you'll have to get SD to update their data (good luck with that!), or obtain the details from someone else in Canberra who can pull it from their DVB-T software / device...

(Have you tried ringing WIN? You never know, you might just get lucky...)

(edit: had a quick look around to see if there was an up-to-date channels.conf online to copy from, but can't see one.)

Edited by Malich

Thanks all for the help so far. I should have provided more info sorry...

I use SageTV with a HDHomerun, with LMGestion's XMLTV Importer to import an EPG from IceTV. After the change in July, I went to update the FRQ file that LMGestion provides to SageTV, and found that they did not have the updated info. So I figured I could just swap the details manually...annoyingly, this worked for the SC channels (now using the old WIN info), but the new WIN channels apparently don't use the old SC info, EXCEPT for the frequency, which I found before I posted here (but wanted to confirm; now confirmed as 219.5). I also thought I could extract the info from my HDHomerun somehow (since it finds the WIN channels just fine), but I haven't been able to find a way to do that. Here is the relevant part of my FRQ file, with current/new values, and only the SC channels work:

CH:9 onid:12915 tsid:12922 sid:10 frq:219500000 band:7 ctrl:1 #:ONE

CH:10 onid:12915 tsid:12922 sid:1 frq:219500000 band:7 ctrl:1 #:TEN

CH:11 onid:12915 tsid:12922 sid:2 frq:219500000 band:7 ctrl:1 #:ELEVEN

CH:15 onid:12812 tsid:2055 sid:2087 frq:177500000 band:7 ctrl:1 #:GEM

CH:16 onid:12812 tsid:2055 sid:2055 frq:177500000 band:7 ctrl:1 #:NINE

CH:17 onid:12812 tsid:2055 sid:2119 frq:177500000 band:7 ctrl:1 #:GO!

Since the manual swap worked for SC, I assume that the other details (ONID/TSID/SID) have changed for the WIN channels. Someone else sent me their FRQ file privately (thanks for that!) but it seems to have other details, not the ones my FRQ file apparently needs

And Whirlpool has a Wiki with all the channel details (http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/digital_channels), but again, they seem to be different details than the ones I need in my FRQ file (except for frequency, which I've now confirmed is definitely 219.5; same as the old Southern Cross). I'm coming off Black Mountain btw, so Alanh's reply above matches with what I've got, and found elsewhere (but doesn't work for WIN)

edit: lol I did consider ringing WIN too, but I figured I'd never get an answer. And that might have been me who posted elsewhere...I've been having troubles since moving to a new house with a dodgy antenna in February. Finally resolved those issues only to then have this issue when WIN and SC swapped over

Edited by Banest

Banest,

The Australian  Communications and Media Authority licences all broadcasters in Australia. The WIN licence is unchanged. What they broadcast is up to them, as does the licence for Capital Television licence. The ACMA was the source of my technical details.

Once the receiver is tuned to the frequencies I quoted, the received signal contains the data you quote. That data is not required to receive the signal, you just need a DVB-T receiver set to a 7 MHz bandwidth and a signal strength within the design range for that tuner. If the receiver conforms to Australian Standard 4933, it will automatically search for any new program streams.

Alanh

2 hours ago, alanh said:

Banest,

The Australian  Communications and Media Authority licences all broadcasters in Australia. The WIN licence is unchanged. What they broadcast is up to them, as does the licence for Capital Television licence. The ACMA was the source of my technical details.

Once the receiver is tuned to the frequencies I quoted, the received signal contains the data you quote. That data is not required to receive the signal, you just need a DVB-T receiver set to a 7 MHz bandwidth and a signal strength within the design range for that tuner. If the receiver conforms to Australian Standard 4933, it will automatically search for any new program streams.

Alanh

Alan, please read and understand what the poster is asking for - and, just as importantly, why they're asking - before commenting.

edit: scratch what I wrote earlier - that doesn't look like the correct information either. I'll dig further...

edit2: and scratch that too! Still digging...

Edited by Malich

Thanks Malich...I actually found that document a few weeks back, and it was excellent. All the values in it are correct (noting that it lists them in hex, and my FRQ file lists them in decimal), except for the new WIN channels, which are missing from the bottom right. I did email FreeTVAust asking for updated details, but their site makes it clear the info is only for providers, so I don't expect a reply :(

That's a good idea actually, haven't tried IceTV, thanks. I've also just emailed the XMLTV Importer support again to ask if they have any idea why my FRQ file needs different values to other peoples and if they know a way to convert between them (eg. maybe the VPID listed for the channel on the Whirlpool wiki has a relationship to the ONID...)

Banest,

Obviously all other TV viewers in Canberra do not have this problem otherwise it would have hit the Canberra Times.

Why not try http://www.team-mediaportal.com/ It just needs a Windows computer, tuner card and its driver. When it scans the channels it tries Australian channel frequencies as well as 125 kHz above and 125 kHz below each channel's centre frequency. It reads all the control data. If you cannot find the driver, search the type number of the tuner chip.

Alanh

Alanh, I appreciate your attempt to help mate, but you've missed the point entirely. My *receiver* (HDHomerun) gets all channels just fine, it's my *PVR* (SageTV) that needed these values to find the new channels. Of course the rest of Canberra isn't affected; this problem is a product of my own setup (and the fact that I use an American XMLTV importer and PVR that didn't have the new Australian SI details available).

Anyway, huge thanks to Malich, who messaged me a few things to try. In the end, a program he recommended called TSReader allowed me to read all the SI details from my Homerun's feeds. For anyone else who might need them, here are the correct values (it was the SIDs for WIN's channels that changed in July; that was my whole problem):

CH:9 onid:12915 tsid:12922 sid:1922 frq:219500000 band:7 ctrl:1 #:ONE

CH:10 onid:12915 tsid:12922 sid:1939 frq:219500000 band:7 ctrl:1 #:TEN

CH:11 onid:12915 tsid:12922 sid:1926 frq:219500000 band:7 ctrl:1 #:ELEVEN

CH:15 onid:12812 tsid:2055 sid:2087 frq:177500000 band:7 ctrl:1 #:GEM

CH:16 onid:12812 tsid:2055 sid:2055 frq:177500000 band:7 ctrl:1 #:NINE

CH:17 onid:12812 tsid:2055 sid:2119 frq:177500000 band:7 ctrl:1 #:GO!

CH:18 onid:12812 tsid:2055 sid:2279 frq:177500000 band:7 ctrl:1 #:LIFE

Thanks again

Banest,

The official informatioin

http://www.freetv.com.au/media/Engineering/Free_TV_Australia_DTTB_Service_Information_Register_Ver_8_June_2016_NSW_ACT.pdf

Why use an ATSC receiver software, where the channel frequencies are different, the bandwidth of the channels are different, the modulation is totally different?

team mediaportal is a free PVR which works very well. It was written in DVB-T countries and knows of Australian channels.

Alanh

Edited by alanh
insert link

That link is the same one Malich provided earlier (and since deleted), and that I used weeks ago to try to fix this issue (and successfully used it to add 9LIfe to my lineup while I was at it, which I'd never bothered tuning before). The problem with it is the WIN SI details for Ten/Eleven/One are missing from the bottom right corner for Canberra. Those are the details I came here to find

I've been using my current setup for 7-odd years, and when I set it up it was the best option available for what I wanted. Still was a few years ago when I looked around again. Funnily enough I've been thinking about shopping around for a new PVR at least (not the Homerun...it's perfect) when I upgrade the server in the next 6 months or so. I vaguely remember Mediaportal from the last time I shopped around...don't remember exactly what I didn't like about it except it had a fairly ugly default GUI. But it's probably worth looking into again

Edited by Banest