Good Sacd, Dvd-A And Blu Ray Audio References

The gremlins have gotten into the old thread that I started, with only the last 3 posts left.

Re-posting surround poll charts from QuadraphonicQuad.  The charts, based on member polling & updated every 6 months or so, gives a good starting point for quality multi-channel music.  Progressive rock dominates the list, with Steve Wilson, the magician mixer, polling well at the top. Please note that the list is historical and does contain material no longer sold. 

Amazon UK is probably a better (and currently cheaper) source for this material than Amazon US. Locally, JB Hif and a number of online stores have a more limited, expensive selection.

Is the list perfect? No, it is based on members who like progressive rock. Lower scores does not mean it is poor eg Beck: Sea Change is now relegated to outside the Top 50.  On the other hand, not sure how the highest ranking classical, Vivaldi (Rachel Podger), made the Top 20?  The recording is very clean but getting high scores for essentially ambient surround channels ??? 2L do a far better job for classical music, but their placement of instruments around a listener may put off the traditionalist classical music lover.

Enjoy the hunt for quality multi-channel music... :D

p/s not a member of that forum. I believe Homer (a member here) is active there.

Edited by Snoopy8
Cleaned up lost link...

Pink Floyd's Division Bell in 5.1 is very good. One of my recent favourite 5.1 releases is the Bob Marley Legend (30th Ann. Edition - not the HFPA stereo only one released here in AU as it sufferes from audio compression/loudness).

Thanks for the credit Snoopy8  - actually I wrote the code to generate the poll results page on the QQ link you posted above :)

Edited by HomerJ
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, CAVX said:

Pink Floyds Divison Bell in HR?  How awesome would that be?  

Sadly, only available on second hand market @ $$$

4 hours ago, HomerJ1503560906 said:

One of my recent favourite 5.1 releases is the Bob Marley Legend (30th Ann. Edition - not the HFPA stereo only one released here in AU as it sufferes from audio compression/loudness).

Agree it is fantastic. But at an OUCH price - just managed with JB 20% off plus 5% coupon sale.

Have to be prepared to pay much more for multi channel music, but there are limits. For example, sticking with Dark Side of the Moon SACD even though it is ranked lowly.  BDA (#2 on poll) is ridiculously expensive.

• 4 weeks later...

The main reason for Pink Floyd's DSOTM BDA being number one on the QuadraphonicQuad website poll is that it contains both a 5.1 and Quad mix of that classic album. Quite a few members there prefer the Quad over the 5.1. The SACD contains only a 5.1 mix. Same for the BDA and SACD releases of Wish You Were Here (5.1 & Quad vs 5.1)

My Denon AVR- X7200WA doesn't play quad FLAC (I've got all my MCH music converted and on a server for a better playback experience) but my quads were only playing back as stereo with no rear channel info. I had to add a silent centre channel and the Denon plays that back correctly, 5.0 with silent centre = quad.

I wrote a little app to auto find all my quad FLACS and convert to 5.0 as I have quite a few. The new Chicago Quadio (9 BDA disc box set) and a lot of old 70s quad releases plus some newer BDA and SACD quads too. If anyone wants the quad conversion app PM me and I'll whack It on the web for download. It (currently) only runs on Windows.

Edited by HomerJ

46 minutes ago, HomerJ1503560906 said:

The main reason for Pink Floyd's DSOTM BDA being number one on the QuadraphonicQuad website poll is that it contains both a 5.1 and Quad mix of that classic album. Quite a few members there prefer the Quad over the 5.1. The SACD contains only a 5.1 mix. Same for the BDA and SACD releases of Wish You Were Here (5.1 & Quad vs 5.1)

A few years back, I was lucky enough to get a copy of the "share" version of the QUAD mix on a DVD, encoded as a PCM DVD-A. I listened to both the 5.1 SACD and this 4.1 (yes they added LFE) Quad mix.  To my surprise, both had their strong and weak points.  Overall, I would have to say I like the QUAD mix just that bit more.  The SACD seemed to lack some of the back phantoms.  What I did get was a real time understanding of is why the changes were made for the 5.1 mix.  

You have to keep in mind, the original QUAD mix was done in the early 1970s and done in a time before we really understood why QUAD was not the best solution for MC music.  Simply put - there are things the system can do really well, and things it can't.  It is quite well documented that side phantoms are one of those things that don't work well with human hearing even when four identical speakers are used in the proper +/-45 degree locations for both front and back.  Humans have just 2 ears and those ears are on the sides of our heads and do not move.  Sounds coming in from some angles (whilst the mix intends them to be heard a certain way) won't be.  Sometimes what you do hear is certain sounds been torn apart with more mids being heard from the surrounds and more highs being heard from the fronts.  

Both are clever and worth owning, so if this disc allows you to hear both versions, totally worth the price of admission in my opinion.        

• 4 months later...

After all these years listening to multi channel music using ancient satellite surround speakers, have now upgraded to decent ones.  Wow, they made a significant difference. :D

Interestingly, on Chicago Quadio box, it suggested disabling the sub if not using  satellites, which I did. It did make a small improvement.

• 4 months later...

While I have mentioned it in other posts, it is not in this thread. If you are into classical, suggest Magnificat (from 2L). (link to Amazon US  but sometimes cheaper in UK).

Prefer the SACD version, but blu ray is good. Also, there is a bonus video showing the non traditional 2L way of recording.

In one word, magnificent (pun intended). Puts you into the church where it was recorded. Even my better half likes it; for much of the time, my music is considered no different to muzak! ? ?

Edited by Snoopy8
Corrected Magnificat spelling

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

INXS - Kick is being released on Blu-ray Audio with a new Atmos surround mix by Giles Martin who mixed The Beatles- Love surround DVD-Audio release.

Its just been added to the JB HiFi website, I'll probably buy from Amazon due to AU pricing as usual.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I have been following the reports on the Hoffman Forum about the ' failing ' Bluray included in the 'DARK SIDE OF THE MOON 'IMMERSION ' edition.  It appears to effect the EU pressings from OPTIMAL  and not the U.S. or Canadian pressings.

The general experience seems to be a disc that plays a few times from new, but when given a later spin, either glitches, or refuses to be read at all.

I have just given mine a spin. Noting that it played O.K. for many plays when new, I was disappointed to find it is no longer recognised by my player. Putting it into a Computor drive also fails.

Given that most Aussies have the EU edition, I would be interested to know how many others have failed.

Billy.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for late reply. I'm sure my DSOTM BDA is the European edition (bought from Amazon UK) and it is now a dead disc. Luckily I have a backup I made when I moved all my audio to a NAS.

• 2 weeks later...

• 4 weeks later...

Good news for those looking to get multi channel music. Amazon AU now has many SACDs, comparable in price to Amazon UK. Also, many Blu Ray Audio. ** Just to clarify, these are from third parties, not Amazon themselves (but I do hope it will change!).

Have not purchased anything from Amazon AU yet, but my son bought a game and it took 2 days to arrive.

Edited by Snoopy8
Added **

Just now, muriwai said:

I tried to find the new INXS blu with atoms on Friday but it didn't come up with the search function
Also couldn't find it at JB

Give it time, I how Amazon AU will come good, especially on pricing...

Listening to The Doors best of sacd 4.0 makes me realise I definitely need full range speakers as rears, all of the drums and bass are coming from the rears and my B&W DS6 surround speakers are not designed for that.