Panasonic VT60 or Samsung F8500

21 minutes ago, George3629 said:

I got told it has approx 400 hours. Is there anything special i need to do tu burn screen in , or just watch it!!

just watch it with mixed content and avoid high contrast static images.The foxtel sport channel logos are a high contrast static image from hell and if you watch say the v8 supercars for 4 hours or even a footy match for 2 hours you may branded by those scumbags forever.Good on Optus for giving them the ultimate kick in the @ss with the EPL rights,even though i won't be paying what Optus is asking to watch the EPL live the satisfaction of seeing the tall poppy foxtel humiliated is totally worth it.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like I got lucky and got a ps60f8500 with under 1000 hours, purchased in 2014. If things go wrong it can still be repaired I guess. Do I need the original receipt for any warranty?

Nice one! After spending some time with the kind of LCD that amount of money buys you, I'm certainly stoked I found my VT60, sure your experience will be the same!

3 hours ago, IviewHD said:

just watch it with mixed content and avoid high contrast static images.The foxtel sport channel logos are a high contrast static image from hell and if you watch say the v8 supercars for 4 hours or even a footy match for 2 hours you may branded by those scumbags forever.Good on Optus for giving them the ultimate kick in the @ss with the EPL rights,even though i won't be paying what Optus is asking to watch the EPL live the satisfaction of seeing the tall poppy foxtel humiliated is totally worth it.

This is good advice, my 64F8500 has the fox footy logo burned in. Nothing will remove it.

Anyway congratulations, sounds like a good buy.

Is it a manufacturers extended warranty? i.e. Samsung? If not who is the warranty with? Extended warranties can be a mishmash of exclusions and terms. You'll need to find the terms that the warranty contains as they're all different. Very often they only cover the person who purchased the warranty. if its a manufacturers warranty you might be in better luck.

What date was the extended warranty purchased and whats its description?

Peter Gillespie

Edit (Samsung Terms):

IV. Warranty Transferability
This Warranty is transferable to a subsequent owner of a Samsung product, in the event of the sale of that product, provided that Samsung is informed in writing within a reasonable time of the sale of the subsequent owner's name and contact details, such notice to be provided to Samsung at www.samsung.com/au
The notice should identify the name of the previous owner of the Samsung product, place and date of purchase, model, make and serial number of the product. The effective transfer of this Warranty does not otherwise alter the terms of this Warranty in any way.
Edited by pgdownload
Warranty Details Added

20 hours ago, JSmith said:

You are implying (unintentionally I assume) that the full available res of a frame is not shown, when in fact it is.

Yes, the display will show a full resolution image, but what matters is what the human eye can see with the image in motion. Sample and hold limits visible resolution in motion to about 300 lines and it doesn't matter how quickly the pixels can change state. Dimming-blanking the image between frames as with Plasma pulse drive allows the eye to see over three times the resolution of sample and hold.

Higher frame rates and/or motion interpolation negates this issue to much of an extent, as can BFI as you mention.

High frame rates on the display like 100 or 200 Hz do absolutely nothing for motion on their own because there is no blanking period between frames. Motion interpolation makes up information to display on the extra frames, that sure helps but has its own set of issues.

LG's motion enhancement systems are very crude and that holds LG OLED back.

I would prefer this small issue rather than the multitude of issues Plasma and LCD have. YMMV.

If only LG's OLED TV's had as few "issues" as the last generation Plasma's. As it stands they have a way to go, which is understandable given OLED's relative lack of development. Unfortunately LG doesn't have a history of wanting to do anything properly, too busy cutting corners, so it may take a while.

If only LG could drive their OLED's properly... bring on the Pana. :D 

Unfortunately Panasonic have to use LG's OLED panels with their inherent limitations so have their work cut out for them. That's reflected in the price charged for the Panasonic version. Wonder if they will ever be offered for sale here.

Hopefully some other manufacture will come out with proper RGB OLED panels in much larger sizes. LG's RGBW sub pixel layout was always a compromise.

Edited by Owen

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 months later...