On 29 January 2017 at 9:26 PM, doggiehowser1503564764 said:

Side lighting.

Vs full array back light with local dimming.

Thanks Doogie

On 29 January 2017 at 9:26 PM, doggiehowser said:

thanks for that I did not look too hard but did not pick that up.  I wonder if they were next to each other whether I could see the difference.

Got the TV assembled in the end. Wife stepped up.

Right now I have a long 12m cable rated for 10.8Gbps from the Marantz AV8801 (HDMI1.3 AVP) to the TV

Watching it at about 2m away and it looks pretty good with 1080p material right now.

At this distance it isn't as small as the 65 to 120" screen behind it that the absolute numbers might suggest. I might try that cable with the Oppo 203 and see if I can get UHD from it.

with a 10.8 Gbps rated cable ... whatever that is ....

should be fine with oppo set on either uhd 24 or uhd auto

chart in the link below is useful  to know what gbps for what formats

http://www.acousticfrontiers.com/uhd-101-v2/

though to be perfectly honest anything over 10m and good luck to you ! :D

theres only a few cables that will over that length let alone beyond it  ...

We managed to watch a few episodes of TV on the Sony. Have to say it looked spectacular. 

When the wife retired for the night, it was time to get to work :)

I managed to hook the 12m cable to the Oppo direct to the Sony and put in ST 2009 UHD. 

Looked beautiful. But I had no way of knowing if I was getting HDR. 

So I went to the Oppo remote and toggled HDR from Auto to On. Oversaturated. Went to TV and went to picture settings and turned on HDR and color looked normal again.

So the good news is the 10.2Gbps 12m cable can handle HDR on 4k@24 but it wasn't automatic. 

Will be getting the Panasonic next week so I could give that a go to see what happens. Maybe TV needs a firmware update too

4 hours ago, doggiehowser1503564764 said:

It's a WireWorld Starlight 5.2

Got it years ago to handle 3D emoji3.png

This sounds promising DH ; pure luck I got some wireworlds  put in once .  Ive got the next gen chroma 6 for the pre pro to lcd which is a level or 2 below the starlights but has built in active eq . Its a bit shorter thankfully [ wish I Could remember the exact length ] and its specs reflects its transmission speeds

10.2Gbps  to 23Gbps (varies by length)

On 1 March 2017 at 9:49 PM, doggiehowser1503564764 said:

Got the TV assembled in the end. Wife stepped up.

Right now I have a long 12m cable rated for 10.8Gbps from the Marantz AV8801 (HDMI1.3 AVP) to the TV

Watching it at about 2m away and it looks pretty good with 1080p material right now.

At this distance it isn't as small as the 65 to 120" screen behind it that the absolute numbers might suggest. I might try that cable with the Oppo 203 and see if I can get UHD from it.

Hi Doogie which size Z9D did you get

On 5 March 2017 at 11:41 PM, doggiehowser1503564764 said:

There's only one model in Australia - 65"

No 75. Shame. I did hear 100 is available to order on indent basis

I wrote to Sony about the 100 inch.  It took over a week and another email to them to get them to respond but the short answer was they have no plans to market the 100 inch in Australia in 2017.  I did not ask about the 75  but I guess they may have mentioned it.  Pretty poor response from their info/post sales department.

Hope you enjoy the 65.

Edited by bradp51
spelling error

• 1 month later...

In the US, you can get both the ZD9 and the A1E at the same price??

Wonder if it is the same street pricing here too :)

I love how bright HDR appears on the ZD9 but that OLED (if the E6/C7 is anything to go by) would have inky blacks that look better than even my plasma. 

46 minutes ago, doggiehowser1503564764 said:

I thought I saw the ZD9 listed on Harvey Normans site for under 5 grand.

Yes it was $4,995. If u can find one you should get it for  between $4500 - $4600. I'm waiting for mine from JB due in the country on the 12th May. Only 8 on that shipment.

you'd hope the A1could be got without the sloping speaker stand thing. and its wobbly screen speaker tech. all adding unnecessary cost in my opinion. would be just used as a monitor in my setup if ever got it. also the slopping back angled standing business limits installations I reckon. many people want to wall mount tvs these days especially when getting up in size of screen as TVs are.lot more secure and less chance of flopping over or something ! 

things like added  brightness of the lcd is of little relevance i would suggest .even in mastering even though mastering range by studious might be 1000 nits they dont ever use anything akin to that sort of scale in reality. id rather the black capabilities of oled. can even in that little clip see the benefit of which and thats not knowing if they have rigged to make more apparent or anything.

at current pace. id be pretty game to say right now with sony, pana, lg and even likes of loewe wiht their flagship screens being oleds... that in the top end at least that LCDs days are numbered.... have no doubt lcd will hang around in the smaller sizes and lower cost options though being the more bread butter of the brands... top end premium screens doesnt keep a business going. pioneer knows that :D

4 minutes ago, doggiehowser1503564764 said:

Reviewer said tilt wasn't at all noticeable for normal viewing.

~

yeah but what if dont want the bleeding tilting thing. just want to wall mount the sucker. why pay for the tilting speaker business and the screen wobbling sound and all that. all means squat for me.

4 minutes ago, doggiehowser1503564764 said:

~

HDR does make a difference IMHO when used with the right display. Was watching Planet Earth 2 the other day.

ofcourse HDR makes a difference, I've watched planet earth on my projector. I do also know you dont need gazzilion nits eye blinding retina peeling output lcd is capable off to enjoy the benefits of HDR. infact its a point made often they dont master movies with the kind of nit output lcd is capable off. or you'd be sitting their with a welders helmet watching UHDs :D 

8 minutes ago, doggiehowser1503564764 said:

HDR with a bright enough display like the Sony ZD9 shows bright highlights we can only try to approximate on the JVC.

the thing to appreciate is LCDs cant do the depths of blacks. dynamic range is literally the range from black to peak white.

LCDs cant do blacks properly and why to achieve HDR they have high silly high outputs.

however oled starting off so much lower in blacks achieve an amazing dynamic range as well given how much lower they start from.

there is a great post of kris deering i have quote here before which will give some appreciation of what oled achieves vs lcd.

the silly peaks of LCD are really unnecessary and in any case OLED has bridged the great part of the gap there was previously. so will be in an even better place than ever :)