The top-of-the-line Sony Z9D TV sets have been announced for the US and Europe.

They consist of 65", 75" and 100" sizes.

But word from Sony Australia is that only the 65" and 100" will be brought into Australia.   SONY!  Please say it isn't so!

If anything, they should bring in just the 65" and 75" and forget the 100".  Don't think they'll sell many of those.

http://www.sony.com/electronics/televisions/xbr-z9d-series

I had my eye on the 75" model.  I hope Sony Australia changes their mind.

Edited by Craig
typo
  • Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Has anyone seen Vincent's comparison with the Q9? Our two year old TV still rocks  

Looks like it is gone again.  65 in just too small though.  Would have liked to see a high quality 85 or 100.

I would love to see them bring in the 100 inch model.  I better start saving my pennies. I will save money on a screen and PJ and put that into the 100 inch investment.

Lets see, my 65 inch Panasonic VT20 can go to the family room.  My older 50 inch Panasonic plasma can go to the garage.  And the new 100 inch can live with my 3 SubMersives.

• 1 month later...

21 hours ago, IviewHD said:

couldn't you just buy one from amazon US?

No, apart from the fact they wouldn't ship to Australia, it would have a different digital tuner (ATSC instead of DVB-T / T2) and possibly their different U.S. AC mains voltage requirement.

1 hour ago, Craig M said:

No, apart from the fact they wouldn't ship to Australia, it would have a different digital tuner (ATSC instead of DVB-T / T2) and possibly their different U.S. AC mains voltage requirement.

I've imported gear from the US before and just used a step down converter for the voltage.The internal tuner wouldn't bother me either if i wanted it bad enough as i would be using all my external gear into hdmi.I have never explored importing something as big as a TV from the US true but if the US has something that i can't get in Australia and i want it i think it's a fair question to ask can i import it myself.

• 3 weeks later...

And I thought this would be the biggest LED at 100 inches.  I just found a Samsung being sold in Saudi Arabia that is 110 inches.  Wow.  I wonder what it costs ?

On 02/10/2016 at 7:32 PM, bradp51 said:

And I thought this would be the biggest LED at 100 inches.  I just found a Samsung being sold in Saudi Arabia that is 110 inches.  Wow.  I wonder what it costs ?

@bradp51

$150,000 when it was released

with a 20% off sale it can be had for a bargain of $120,000

http://www.arabnews.com/news/500931?page=2&quicktabs_stat2=0

(models not included)

Edited by mello yello

Panasonic offered a 150" true 4K (4096x2160) Plasma for the super wealthy or the board room back as far as 2008, special order only. In 2010 they upped it to 152".

They sold heaps of 103" Plasma's so there is definitely a market for big TV's and LCD is still playing catch up.

Edited by Owen

I got to see the 152" in 2010, but sadly, no 4K content available at the time.  From memory, they wanted $500,000 for it.  

Then there are gigantic screens designed for outdoor public use with resolutions of 4K or above that are not LCD based. These tend to use individual LEDs as there is no need for miniaturisation of the pixels and LEDs can supply the light output directly, rather like OLED. I believe the biggest 4K [plus] LED screen at the moment is the one on the outside of the Marriot Marquis, Times Square, New York City. It has 10,048 x 2,368 pixels, and measures 119.7x 23.7 metres (392.7 x 77.7 feet) though it does wrap around the building at the left and right extremities. See http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2837805/Huge-digital-billboard-light-Times-Square.html and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_largest_video_screens.

20 hours ago, mello yello said:

@Owen

guess what ... they caught up nearly a year ago

5 years is a LONG time mate, and its a matrix display not a single panel.

If people cant actually buy the Samsung at this time, and that doesn't seem to be the case given there is no model number, it doesn't even count.

Edited by Owen
18 hours ago, Owen said:

5 years is a LONG time mate, and its a matrix display not a single panel.

If people cant actually buy the Samsung at this time, and that doesn't seem to be the case given there is no model number, it doesn't even count.

minor details

LoL

The 65" Z9D is listed on the sony au website at $7k so it looks like you can buy an LCD TV for the price of an OLED.I'm tipping the price will come down pretty quick if they actually want to sell any.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Joecool said:

http://store.sony.com.au/KD65Z9D.html

Sony Store has it at $4999 today. Not sure how long it will last, but that's a cracking price, and maybe a sign of Sony looking to bring the 75" into the country?!

I hope so.  Or it could be a pre-emptive strike because they are planning to do OLED in 55" & 65" screen sizes, to be announced in early 2017.

• 1 month later...
On 8 December 2016 at 11:20 PM, Joecool said:

As much as I want to pull the trigger on a Z9D, I'm gonna wait till I come from the US in mid Feb and see what has transpired! Maybe a 75" or better pricing!

what about this 

http://store.sony.com.au/KD85X8500D.html#start=1

Not sure what the difference with this from the Z9D models though

• 3 weeks later...
On 29 January 2017 at 9:26 PM, doggiehowser1503564764 said:

Side lighting.

Vs full array back light with local dimming.

thanks for that I did not look too hard but did not pick that up.  I wonder if they were next to each other whether I could see the difference.

If you can see a difference between plasma and LCD, chances are you can tell the difference.

I think plasma might still be better for black levels and contrast but the Z9D looks pretty close.

On 29 January 2017 at 9:26 PM, doggiehowser1503564764 said:

Side lighting.

Vs full array back light with local dimming.

Thanks Doogie

On 29 January 2017 at 9:26 PM, doggiehowser said:

thanks for that I did not look too hard but did not pick that up.  I wonder if they were next to each other whether I could see the difference.

Surprised no one mentioned this - JB has a 20% all Sony TVs this weekend. And that includes the Z9D.

I've never seen one in the flesh before. So it was a real treat.

When I left there were 2 left in the warehouse.

Better hurry.

Ps the sales guy in Carindale JB was quite knowledgeable.

He showed me the curved Samsung edgelit TV and you could see the light bleeding through the edges of the screen.

The Sony was nigh perfect.

Got the TV assembled in the end. Wife stepped up.

Right now I have a long 12m cable rated for 10.8Gbps from the Marantz AV8801 (HDMI1.3 AVP) to the TV

Watching it at about 2m away and it looks pretty good with 1080p material right now.

At this distance it isn't as small as the 65 to 120" screen behind it that the absolute numbers might suggest. I might try that cable with the Oppo 203 and see if I can get UHD from it.

• Moderators

with a 10.8 Gbps rated cable ... whatever that is ....

should be fine with oppo set on either uhd 24 or uhd auto

chart in the link below is useful  to know what gbps for what formats

http://www.acousticfrontiers.com/uhd-101-v2/

though to be perfectly honest anything over 10m and good luck to you ! :D

theres only a few cables that will over that length let alone beyond it  ...

• Moderators

good luck to you :D all can say

but thank goodness the avp and projector are close to each other :) thats one problem solved !!!!

I might end up moving the Sony to the spare bedroom. Fix it up with the XBox One S I just got. So another short cable.

Hopefully pair it with the Smyth Realiser A16 for audio.

We managed to watch a few episodes of TV on the Sony. Have to say it looked spectacular. 

When the wife retired for the night, it was time to get to work :)

I managed to hook the 12m cable to the Oppo direct to the Sony and put in ST 2009 UHD. 

Looked beautiful. But I had no way of knowing if I was getting HDR. 

So I went to the Oppo remote and toggled HDR from Auto to On. Oversaturated. Went to TV and went to picture settings and turned on HDR and color looked normal again.

So the good news is the 10.2Gbps 12m cable can handle HDR on 4k@24 but it wasn't automatic. 

Will be getting the Panasonic next week so I could give that a go to see what happens. Maybe TV needs a firmware update too

4 hours ago, doggiehowser1503564764 said:

It's a WireWorld Starlight 5.2

Got it years ago to handle 3D emoji3.png

This sounds promising DH ; pure luck I got some wireworlds  put in once .  Ive got the next gen chroma 6 for the pre pro to lcd which is a level or 2 below the starlights but has built in active eq . Its a bit shorter thankfully [ wish I Could remember the exact length ] and its specs reflects its transmission speeds

10.2Gbps  to 23Gbps (varies by length)

On 1 March 2017 at 9:49 PM, doggiehowser1503564764 said:

Got the TV assembled in the end. Wife stepped up.

Right now I have a long 12m cable rated for 10.8Gbps from the Marantz AV8801 (HDMI1.3 AVP) to the TV

Watching it at about 2m away and it looks pretty good with 1080p material right now.

At this distance it isn't as small as the 65 to 120" screen behind it that the absolute numbers might suggest. I might try that cable with the Oppo 203 and see if I can get UHD from it.

Hi Doogie which size Z9D did you get

On 5 March 2017 at 11:41 PM, doggiehowser1503564764 said:

There's only one model in Australia - 65"

No 75. Shame. I did hear 100 is available to order on indent basis

I wrote to Sony about the 100 inch.  It took over a week and another email to them to get them to respond but the short answer was they have no plans to market the 100 inch in Australia in 2017.  I did not ask about the 75  but I guess they may have mentioned it.  Pretty poor response from their info/post sales department.

Hope you enjoy the 65.

Edited by bradp51
spelling error
  • 1 month later...

In the US, you can get both the ZD9 and the A1E at the same price??

Wonder if it is the same street pricing here too :)

I love how bright HDR appears on the ZD9 but that OLED (if the E6/C7 is anything to go by) would have inky blacks that look better than even my plasma. 

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By manbat
      Item Condition: Mint Shipping Options: Pickup available and you can audition. Suburb or Town: Melbourne State: VIC Payment Method: EFT Reason for selling: Renovations Further information:
      Professional series -  Sony VPLW520ES Projector Bundle (latest software upgrade.) White.
      Lamp time – 2200hrs (lap rated for 6000hrs) – Additional lamp also available
      This is the native 4K deal professional series – all glass Sony lenses made in Japan, excellent reviews.
      https://www.techspot.com/products/projectors/sony-vpl-vw520es.122529/
      https://www.avforums.com/reviews/sony-vpl-vw520es-4k-projector-review.12100

What you get
      1.     Sony 4K VPLW520ES Projector
      2.     Screen Technics Tab Tension 110 inch screen (electric screen with remote)– I had this made to order with extra-long lead. Great screen - no striations. Mint condition.
      3.     Blue Stream - HDMI – over ethernet kit (HEX70B-KIT) Base and Transmitter set - https://www.blustream.com.au/
      4.     Projector mount comes from Screen Technics model PRGUNV.
      5.     Projector extender from Screen Technics.
      6.     Spare lamp (new – additional cost negotiable)
      7.     Remotes – mint condition

Nearly three times the price to buy new as a kit. (4.5 years old)
      I am selling everything as a package. All items are mint. Pick up only.
      Serious parties only - home demonstration available.
      Strongly suggest that if purchased you get professionals to remove and reinstall at your residence.
      No boxes available – instructions and remote for projector and screen present and correct in mint condition.
      Sony VPLVW520ES Reviews
      What Hi-Fi

A pull-out-all-the-stops performer with future-proofing to its name
      Pros:Fantastic picture all-round, HDR support, Native 4K, Future-proofed, Solid, attractive design
      Cons:No 3D glasses, A pricey option
      Home Cinema Choice
      The selling point of the VW520ES is essentially this: it gives you both a native 4K resolution – something no other brand has yet been able/bothered to manage on a home cinema projector – together with high dynamic range (HDR) playback.
      Pros:4K pictures look amazing; HDR pictures look even more amazing; good setup flexibility; good price for what’s on offer
      Stuff TV
      A future-proofed projector with a license to thrill
      Pros:Startlingly good picture all-round, HDR and 4K, Dead simple set-up
      Cons:No 3D glasses, Still a pricey option

https://www.avhub.com.au/product-reviews/sound-image/sony-vpl-vw520es-4k-av-projector-review-430128

Screen - Electronic Tab Tension.
      Screen Technics
      https://screentechnics.com.au/products/roller-screens/motorised-screens/electricinema-side-tension-screen 
      110 inch tab tension extra-long lead (allows to have the screen positioned lower than usual  – remote – excellent screen free of any striations.
      Blue Stream
      HDMI – over ethernet
      Projector mount comes from ScreenTecnics model PRGUNV.
      Projector extender

Photos:

PLEASE READ
      If you include any reference to pricing whatsoever in this section (excluding RRP), your ad will not be approved If you are advertising multiple items, you must post one bulk price only, or post seperate ads for each item If you don't include photographs of the actual item being sold, your ad will not be approved You understand that a reasonable donation for selling fees is expected upon successful sale of your item  

• By manbat
      Item Condition: Mint Shipping Options: Pickup available and you can audition. Suburb or Town: Melbourne State: VIC Payment Method: EFT Reason for selling: Renovations Further information:
      Professional series -  Sony VPLW520ES Projector Bundle (latest software upgrade.) White.
      This is the native 4K deal professional series – all glass Sony lenses made in Japan, excellent reviews.

What you get
      2.     Screen Technics Tab Tension 110 inch screen (electric screen with remote)– I had this made to order with extra-long lead. Great screen - no striations. Mint condition.
      3.     Blue Stream - HDMI – over ethernet kit (HEX70B-KIT) Base and Transmitter set - https://www.blustream.com.au/

Strongly suggest that if purchased you get professionals to remove and reinstall at your residence.
      No boxes available – instructions and remote for projector and screen present and correct in mint condition.
      Sony VPLVW520ES Reviews
      What Hi-Fi

Pros:Fantastic picture all-round, HDR support, Native 4K, Future-proofed, Solid, attractive design
      Home Cinema Choice
      The selling point of the VW520ES is essentially this: it gives you both a native 4K resolution – something no other brand has yet been able/bothered to manage on a home cinema projector – together with high dynamic range (HDR) playback.
      Pros:4K pictures look amazing; HDR pictures look even more amazing; good setup flexibility; good price for what’s on offer
      Stuff TV

https://www.avhub.com.au/product-reviews/sound-image/sony-vpl-vw520es-4k-av-projector-review-430128

Screen - Electronic Tab Tension.
      Screen Technics
      https://screentechnics.com.au/products/roller-screens/motorised-screens/electricinema-side-tension-screen 
      110 inch tab tension extra-long lead (allows to have the screen positioned lower than usual  – remote – excellent screen free of any striations.
      Blue Stream
      HDMI – over ethernet
      Projector extender

Photos:

PLEASE READ
      If you include any reference to pricing whatsoever in this section (excluding RRP), your ad will not be approved If you are advertising multiple items, you must post one bulk price only, or post seperate ads for each item If you don't include photographs of the actual item being sold, your ad will not be approved You understand that a reasonable donation for selling fees is expected upon successful sale of your item  

• By ozo
      Item Condition: As New Shipping Options: Pickup available and you can audition. Suburb or Town: Wantirna State: VIC Payment Method: Cash, Paypal F&F, Payid Reason for selling: Upgrading Further information:
      Purchased new January 2020 and still under manufacturer's warranty (receipt included).
      Immaculate condition, has been wall mounted since delivered and comes complete in box, manual, remote etc.
      Will be upgrading soon so this has to go to a new home, I would like to keep it but there is no space in other rooms to install it.
      Can help with the delivery within VIC.

TV specs:
      https://store.sony.com.au/archived-television-4K-X8500/KD85X8500G.html

Photos:

PLEASE READ
      If you are advertising multiple items, you must post one bulk price only, or post seperate ads for each item If you include any reference to pricing whatsoever in this section (excluding RRP), your ad will not be approved If you don't include photographs of the actual item being sold, your ad will not be approved

• By manbat
      Item Condition: mint Shipping Options: Pickup available and you can audition. Suburb or Town: Melbourne State: VIC Payment Method: EFT Reason for selling: Renovations Further information:
      What you get

Sony VPLVW520ES Reviews
      What Hi-Fi

Home Cinema Choice
      Stuff TV

Screen

Screen Technics
      Blue Stream
      HDMI – over ethernet
      Projector extender
      Photos:

PLEASE READ
      If you are advertising multiple items, you must post one bulk price only, or post seperate ads for each item If you include any reference to pricing whatsoever in this section (excluding RRP), your ad will not be approved If you don't include photographs of the actual item being sold, your ad will not be approved

• By Naz.shr
      Item Condition: Good Shipping Options: Pickup available and you can audition.,Shipping is available at agreed cost. Suburb or Town: Perth State: WA Payment Method: Cash, PayPal Reason for selling: NLR Further information:
      Sony UBP X700 4k bluray player in good condition, 1.5 years old.
      Bought a different 4k player recently so this one is for sale.

Photos:

PLEASE READ