The top-of-the-line Sony Z9D TV sets have been announced for the US and Europe.

They consist of 65", 75" and 100" sizes.

But word from Sony Australia is that only the 65" and 100" will be brought into Australia.   SONY!  Please say it isn't so!

If anything, they should bring in just the 65" and 75" and forget the 100".  Don't think they'll sell many of those.

http://www.sony.com/electronics/televisions/xbr-z9d-series

I had my eye on the 75" model.  I hope Sony Australia changes their mind.

Edited by Craig
typo

I would love to see them bring in the 100 inch model.  I better start saving my pennies. I will save money on a screen and PJ and put that into the 100 inch investment.

Lets see, my 65 inch Panasonic VT20 can go to the family room.  My older 50 inch Panasonic plasma can go to the garage.  And the new 100 inch can live with my 3 SubMersives.

shipping would be $1k and would you really risk it?

21 hours ago, IviewHD said:

couldn't you just buy one from amazon US?

No, apart from the fact they wouldn't ship to Australia, it would have a different digital tuner (ATSC instead of DVB-T / T2) and possibly their different U.S. AC mains voltage requirement.

1 hour ago, Craig M said:

No, apart from the fact they wouldn't ship to Australia, it would have a different digital tuner (ATSC instead of DVB-T / T2) and possibly their different U.S. AC mains voltage requirement.

I've imported gear from the US before and just used a step down converter for the voltage.The internal tuner wouldn't bother me either if i wanted it bad enough as i would be using all my external gear into hdmi.I have never explored importing something as big as a TV from the US true but if the US has something that i can't get in Australia and i want it i think it's a fair question to ask can i import it myself.

And I thought this would be the biggest LED at 100 inches.  I just found a Samsung being sold in Saudi Arabia that is 110 inches.  Wow.  I wonder what it costs ?

On 02/10/2016 at 7:32 PM, bradp51 said:

And I thought this would be the biggest LED at 100 inches.  I just found a Samsung being sold in Saudi Arabia that is 110 inches.  Wow.  I wonder what it costs ?

@bradp51

$150,000 when it was released

with a 20% off sale it can be had for a bargain of $120,000

http://www.arabnews.com/news/500931?page=2&quicktabs_stat2=0

(models not included)

Edited by mello yello

Panasonic offered a 150" true 4K (4096x2160) Plasma for the super wealthy or the board room back as far as 2008, special order only. In 2010 they upped it to 152".

They sold heaps of 103" Plasma's so there is definitely a market for big TV's and LCD is still playing catch up.

Edited by Owen

I got to see the 152" in 2010, but sadly, no 4K content available at the time.  From memory, they wanted $500,000 for it.  

Then there are gigantic screens designed for outdoor public use with resolutions of 4K or above that are not LCD based. These tend to use individual LEDs as there is no need for miniaturisation of the pixels and LEDs can supply the light output directly, rather like OLED. I believe the biggest 4K [plus] LED screen at the moment is the one on the outside of the Marriot Marquis, Times Square, New York City. It has 10,048 x 2,368 pixels, and measures 119.7x 23.7 metres (392.7 x 77.7 feet) though it does wrap around the building at the left and right extremities. See http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2837805/Huge-digital-billboard-light-Times-Square.html and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_largest_video_screens.

I think you will be saving for a long time for one of those units.B)

20 hours ago, mello yello said:

@Owen

guess what ... they caught up nearly a year ago

5 years is a LONG time mate, and its a matrix display not a single panel.

If people cant actually buy the Samsung at this time, and that doesn't seem to be the case given there is no model number, it doesn't even count.

Edited by Owen

18 hours ago, Owen said:

5 years is a LONG time mate, and its a matrix display not a single panel.

If people cant actually buy the Samsung at this time, and that doesn't seem to be the case given there is no model number, it doesn't even count.

minor details

LoL

The 65" Z9D is listed on the sony au website at $7k so it looks like you can buy an LCD TV for the price of an OLED.I'm tipping the price will come down pretty quick if they actually want to sell any.

1 hour ago, Joecool said:

http://store.sony.com.au/KD65Z9D.html

Sony Store has it at $4999 today. Not sure how long it will last, but that's a cracking price, and maybe a sign of Sony looking to bring the 75" into the country?!

I hope so.  Or it could be a pre-emptive strike because they are planning to do OLED in 55" & 65" screen sizes, to be announced in early 2017.

16 hours ago, Joecool said:

Double post.

Edited by Craig
Website double posted for some reason

As much as I want to pull the trigger on a Z9D, I'm gonna wait till I come from the US in mid Feb and see what has transpired! Maybe a 75" or better pricing!

On 8 December 2016 at 11:20 PM, Joecool said:

As much as I want to pull the trigger on a Z9D, I'm gonna wait till I come from the US in mid Feb and see what has transpired! Maybe a 75" or better pricing!

what about this 

http://store.sony.com.au/KD85X8500D.html#start=1

Not sure what the difference with this from the Z9D models though

On 29 January 2017 at 9:26 PM, doggiehowser1503564764 said:

Side lighting.

Vs full array back light with local dimming.

thanks for that I did not look too hard but did not pick that up.  I wonder if they were next to each other whether I could see the difference.

If you can see a difference between plasma and LCD, chances are you can tell the difference.

I think plasma might still be better for black levels and contrast but the Z9D looks pretty close.