Foxtel to launch new iQ3 set-top box, fix bugs and prepare NBN bundles.
Foxtel has commissioned a new iQ3 set-top box and will progressively fix bugs in existing units as the subscription television business prepares to add super-fast broadband to its bundles.

The new iQ3 box will see an update to the unit's processing speed as well as significant cost reduction to Foxtel. However, a release date has not been finalised.

http://www.afr.com/business/media-and-marketing/tv/foxtel-to-launch-new-iq3-settop-box-fix-bugs-and-prepare-nbn-bundles-20160728-gqg1bx#ixzz4G0BsXx9b

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

The latest software update from last week has significantly improved the speed and functionality of my IQ3 box. Still not perfect, but alot better than what it's been for the last 12 months....

Edited by Slattery
spelling error

Each software update for my IQ3 has improved performance and decreased the frequency of reboots, it's now measured in weeks rather than hours as it was at launch.

Cheers

Gary

Edited by GaryCook

4 hours ago, GaryCook said:

A question for the experts, if my other devices commonly have minimum speeds around 6 MB/s and occasionally as high as 12 MB/s, why does the IQ3 never get over 3 MB/s?

Cheers

Gary

Wondering if your modems' QoS settings are prioritising other devices over the IQ3?

"Quality of Service (QoS) is an advanced feature that prioritizes internet traffic for applications, online gaming, Ethernet LAN ports, or specified MAC addresses to minimize the impact of busy bandwidth."

15 hours ago, Ralfi said:

Wondering if your modems' QoS settings are prioritising other devices over the IQ3?

"Quality of Service (QoS) is an advanced feature that prioritizes internet traffic for applications, online gaming, Ethernet LAN ports, or specified MAC addresses to minimize the impact of busy bandwidth."

Worth a try, thanks for the tip.

Fast answer, I utilise Apple Airport Extremes which don't have QoS.  Not that  I think it's the answer since the IQ3 never goes over 3 MB/s even when no one else is at home and there is no other wifi traffic. 

Cheers

Gary

Edited by GaryCook

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

1 hour ago, Ralfi said:

Great news.

But, have they come up with a way to transfer existing, unwatched recordings on the IQ2 to the IQ3?

Can't really I think the encryption is box specific!

cheers laurie 

57 minutes ago, I Follow PAFC said:

Till my IQ2 dies I will not upgrade to the IQ3 or they give me one for free and fix all the bugs.

Well I got to say as far as to MY IQ3 its almost 100% reliable,not that it was in the beginning while I agree with your comments about the IQ2 our original one is now in our multi-room setup the extra recording capacity,start from beginning and the FTA tuner is now worth the upgrade JMHO!!

cheers laurie

The last firmware update has seemed to fix most of the problems with the IQ3. Still a little slow to respond at times but no longer freezes and I have not had to reset it for a couple of months now

• 3 months later...
  • Administrator

For us IQ3 was the worst - to the point where we ended up cancelling Foxtel because we simply couldn't be bothered going through the downgrade back to IQ2 process.

The boxes are clunky, freeze up, remotes are laggy. The UI looks great - that's its only benefit IME.

I know others are saying that the issues are resolved, but as recently as April that wasn't the case for us.

Truth be told we ditched Foxtel after nearly 15 years (3 x IQ3 boxes), and replaced it with Fetch. We've saved a stack of money and aside from sports, haven't lost any content we really care about.

1 hour ago, Marc said:

For us IQ3 was the worst - to the point where we ended up cancelling Foxtel because we simply couldn't be bothered going through the downgrade back to IQ2 process.

The boxes are clunky, freeze up, remotes are laggy. The UI looks great - that's its only benefit IME.

I know others are saying that the issues are resolved, but as recently as April that wasn't the case for us.

Truth be told we ditched Foxtel after nearly 15 years (3 x IQ3 boxes), and replaced it with Fetch. We've saved a stack of money and aside from sports, haven't lost any content we really care about.

I have had very few problems with mine and I got it when they first came out.

• Administrator

Lucky then I guess.

We had problems with all 3 boxes - even after we received replacements.

I'm told by someone in the industry there's a whole warehouse literally full of returned units.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk