NBN download speeds in practice: fast enough to access UHD?

7 hours ago, JSmith said:

Not with all that quality copper out there... ;)

I understand that If FTTN cabinets are installed in a district then the copper from the vicinity of the cabinet locations back to the exchange won't be needed after a while, as phone traffic will be routed through the cabinets direct to NBN fibre. That'll be a lot of copper wiring to decommission!

(Some exchanges cover a wide geographical area. This webpage can be used to show approximate boundaries for ADSL2+ capable exchanges:  http://www.adsl2exchanges.com.au/ )

7 hours ago, MLXXX said:

I understand that If FTTN cabinets are installed in a district then the copper from the vicinity of the cabinet locations back to the exchange won't be needed after a while, as phone traffic will be routed through the cabinets direct to NBN fibre. That'll be a lot of copper wiring to decommission!

Come to think of it I wonder how NBNCo manage that transition. You have 250 copper wires (from nearby homes) that essentially snake all the way back to the exchange. The cabinets need to be built and connected back to the exchange by fibre first obviously. But then at some point all the copper wires will just be spliced into the cabinet. must be a big day. But yes, after that the copper wiring from the cabinet to the exchange is available to pull out.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

11 minutes ago, alanh said:

Is the recovered copper from the cable worth more than the cost of pulling out the cable? Alanh

Guess they'll decide that then. I do know we had a spate of people stealing copper cabling from the train lines a few years back. Caused all sorts of safety issues. Not sure what coppers worth these days.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

46 minutes ago, JSmith said:

Even if it were, do you imply it should be left there?

That would make the most sense. As the government has explained, fibre is already almost obsolete. There's every chance some new faster than light tech that can make use of degraded copper wiring will be discovered soon. Best leave it to save having to run all that copper out again.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Good one peter,

I am not saying the cable should be left there, but if the profit from removing it is not high enough it will be left there.

Also consider removing the insulation to regain the copper. How much pollution will be caused by burning insulation both between individual wires and the outside protective covering.

After all the copper will have to be melted down.

Alanh

7 hours ago, pgdownload said:

There's every chance some new faster than light tech that can make use of degraded copper wiring will be discovered soon.

I highly doubt that mate! :lol:

To lay fibre in many of these conduits the copper wiring has to be removed.

JSmith :ninja:

Well aren't I glad I decided to check up on my suburb getting the nbn *insert major sarcasm here*

Prior to the election of the libs (1st time), my suburb was due to get FTTP commencing within 3 months, after the election I looked on nbn website and saw "indefinitely postponed" ?

Now......... well I just checked and I'm getting frickin HFC in 1st half of 2017, let's see if the supposed upgrades (such as DOCSIS3. 1) will deliver real improvement in dl speeds. FYI, I'm currently on Optus cable and get a respectable 30mbps at 8am...........that drops to 2-3mbps at 8pm due to congestion. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 16/08/2016 at 1:42 PM, pgdownload said:

That would make the most sense. As the government has explained, fibre is already almost obsolete. There's every chance some new faster than light tech that can make use of degraded copper wiring will be discovered soon. Best leave it to save having to run all that copper out again.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

somebody at NBN must have read this post Peter, given them an idea, and a memo issued to all departments to come up with some fictional technology based on the use of smoke and mirrors to make people forget they arent getting FTTP anytime soon

http://www.news.com.au/technology/online/nbn/nbn-to-trial-groundbreaking-new-copper-broadband-technology/news-story/9531e3c6e6a0b9e735aeb250577fdab9

NEW technology that holds out the hope of dramatically improving Australia’s much maligned internet speeds is being trialled by the National Broadband Network.

The “groundbreaking” technology would dramatically beef up the capability of the copper network, opening the door for far superior internet performance for customers.

NOKIA?, yeah right, 5 years?, yeah double right

:rolleyes:

Smoke and Mirrors? I suppose you could describe fibre cable as mirrors without the smoke :)

In theory it could happen, but I suppose that's point. In practice whatever newer technologies are gradually invented (and they will be invented) are almost certain to involve similar cost and time to implement. Even taking this one on face value it requires node boxes every 50m-100m instead of the current 500m-1000m NBN FTTN plan. 

I agree though. Marketing brochure's farmed out to new organisations hungry for a bit of easy journalism to post online doesn't make for much optimism.  

Regards

Peter Gillespie

On ‎17‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 7:52 PM, BoogieWonderland said:

FYI, I'm currently on Optus cable and get a respectable 30mbps at 8am...........that drops to 2-3mbps at 8pm due to congestion. 

I'm on Telstra Foxtel HFC cable and get 130 mbps on a good day/time and it never gets below 40 mbps.

Cheers

Gary

19 minutes ago, GaryCook said:

I'm on Telstra Foxtel HFC cable and get 130 mbps on a good day/time and it never gets below 40 mbps.

Cheers

Gary

Unbelievably fast there ...  I am sure you are the envy of many on this forum.

1 hour ago, MrC said:

Unbelievably fast there ...  I am sure you are the envy of many on this forum.

Underground cable, with a node about half way along the street (90'ish houses, no units) so it's not far from my house to the node, then I've been told it's 3k's of fibre optic to the exchange which was upgraded about 5 years ago.  As a result I really don't give a rats about NBN, which would probably cost me more as well.

BTW, that's no accident, the availability of HPC cable was one of the considerations in choosing the location. 

Cheers

Gary    

Edited by GaryCook

2 hours ago, GaryCook said:

I'm a bit surprised at the number. The HFC speed is usually limited by the ISP according to what plan you're on. I think 100Mbps is  the top tier at the moment. Perhaps Telstra just flick all the switches to max on the upper plan. 

FWIW without knowing your home data consumption, I've found 100Mbps of little practical value for the extra $240 a year it costs. Few households would encounter many bottle necks at 30Mbps so long as it was a solid 30Mbps.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

23 minutes ago, GaryCook said:

BTW, that's no accident, the availability of HPC cable was one of the considerations in choosing the location. 

Cheers Gary    

Well obviously that is where I went wrong ....

1 hour ago, Ralfi said:

Fibre will get faster

It sure will;

A team of engineers has just used a new type of laser-based transmission technology to smash data transfer records, achieving an incredibly speedy 57 gigabits per second at room temperature.

To put it in perspective, 57 Gbps is enough to download a whole Blu-ray in just a few seconds. That's the fastest ever data transmission speed over a new type of laser called a vertical-cavity surface-emitting laser (VCSEL), which is used across fibre optic lines - the type of cabling that underpins much of the broadband infrastructure that's already in place in our homes and offices.

http://www.sciencealert.com/how-a-new-type-of-laser-has-become-a-data-transfer-speed-record-breaker

:)

11 minutes ago, JSmith said:

That's the fastest ever data transmission speed over a new type of laser called a vertical-cavity surface-emitting laser (VCSEL), which is used across fibre optic lines - the type of cabling that underpins much of the broadband infrastructure that's already in place in our homes and offices.

:)

Yeh ... across fibre optic ... not across copper wires in the FTTN method !!!

29 minutes ago, MrC said:

not across copper wires in the FTTN method !

Nah, for sure. That's why I quoted and was discussing optical fibre. I just wish this stupid govt hadn't stuffed the NBN up... Labor's model t'was pretty close to perfect

As Ralphi said, copper will never reach the potential speeds of fibre.

On 16/08/2016 at 0:51 PM, JSmith said:

Nah...

Even if it were, do you imply it should be left there?

Old lead cabling was left in the ground for a while before it was removed (I worked for a mob who removed the stuff - could be the reason for my dodgy back these days!).

I think they'll do the same here - unless it's in the way, they'll just leave it in-situ until it's worth removing.

On ‎2‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 3:43 PM, pgdownload said:

I'm a bit surprised at the number. The HFC speed is usually limited by the ISP according to what plan you're on. I think 100Mbps is  the top tier at the moment. Perhaps Telstra just flick all the switches to max on the upper plan. 

FWIW without knowing your home data consumption, I've found 100Mbps of little practical value for the extra $240 a year it costs. Few households would encounter many bottle necks at 30Mbps so long as it was a solid 30Mbps.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

We use lots of bandwidth, albeit mostly wifi, there's generally an iPad or 2, a couple of iPhones, 2 x Apple TV's and 2 x Foxtel boxes plus the MacMini of course.  But not a lot of data, 200 gb a month does us just fine.   My son, a professional photographer, used to use up the data, but since he has his own place we haven't hit the ceiling.

Cheers

Gary

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Just an ad hoc titbit of info. I don't know whether it's typical. Holidaying recently in the north of the northern beaches region of Sydney (in the former local government area known as Pittwater), I noticed NBN cabinets on the surburban roads I was walking along. The cabinets were at about 400 metre intervals. Along the particular streets I walked along, I observed that the housing was predominantly detached dwellings, with a very small number of low rise apartment blocks.

I'd assume that that sort of cabinet spacing should support pretty reasonable download (and upload) speeds.